+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,024: So-and-So

Default Re: Chapter 1,024: So-and-So

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    In the second page of the flashback, Kaido's face is so badly drawn IN MY OPINION. It makes me think about those sketches of Togashi when he gets bored with his manga
    Haha yeah it looked like it was drawn by an intern

I am beginning to dislike all One Piece fandoms aside from this one. Everything is more measured here. Viz is being attacked over So and So on Twitter. Mr. Paul is a saint because I would have quit ages ago.
    #Vergoshotfirst #Doflaisapunk

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

Yamato's flashback is like an inversion of Zoro's first scene. Now it's the girl who is hungry and tied up and it's the swordsman who feeds her.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee1000 View Post
    Yamato's flashback is like an inversion of Zoro's first scene. Now it's the girl who is hungry and tied up and it's the swordsman who feeds her.
    Oh!!! I really like this observation!
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Because of handcuffs
    Strawhats always make it look so easy to solve the inhabitants problems :)
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Child Yamato with the size of a regular adult is very cute.

Also, Child Sanji surviving starvation is still an unmatched feat. Ogre < Regular human

That was a nice little chapter, and little Yamato is so adorable.

This chapter really solidified how disappointing the Oden flashback was for me. It's neat that Yamato had a huge fascination with Oden and he wants to be just like Oden. Along with the samurai and their undying loyalty to Oden it shows just how powerful of a presence he had with so many people. However, every time this happens I am reminded of that extremely long and dragged on flashback and what we saw of Oden just clashes so much with how the people in universe view him. I can get behind the scabbards to an extent since Oden personally took them in, but for everyone else outside of that, Oden was known to be a trouble maker and then he left the island for a long time until coming back, and then when everyone thought he was going to save Wano he had to embarrass himself throughout the entire country. Even with the explanation of why he danced around, the flashback never made Oden likable to me, let alone this figure that is revered by all the samurai.

Still, with all that said I really enjoyed Yamato's flashback and his short interactions with the samurai. Them being sort of mentors, being kind to Yamato, and reading Oden's journal to him while a short part of the chapter was the highlight of the chapter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Even with the explanation of why he danced around, the flashback never made Oden likable to me, let alone this figure that is revered by all the samurai.
    Same here. I don't dislike the character, but with the perspective Wano people had on him I can't quite buy that he was eventually held in such high regards. The Hour of Legends is something to remember for sure, but his track record up to that point is really not all that brilliant as far as Wano affairs are concerned. It would have helped if there had been at least some time of actual Oden rule between travels and invasions, in order for people to get to know him as a good leader. I guess Toki is supposed to have played that part, but it doesn't work for me. At the moment it seems like Oden retroactively became a savior figure to desperate people because he was the only hope they could cling to, yet given some time to think things over and cool down they would still despise his memory.

Time can make it hard to remember what a dick he was when he was alive

There's also the factor that, once he died, life became a living hell in Wano.

Oden's deal with Kaido and Orochi was what kept the regions and towns safe. Once he was gone, Orochi descended upon the people like a plague.

People often have rosy memories of the past. Now imagine living in hell for 20 years, and thinking: "Oden was who kept us safe during the good times. This hell started with his death."
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    That was a nice little chapter, and little Yamato is so adorable.

This chapter really solidified how disappointing the Oden flashback was for me. It's neat that Yamato had a huge fascination with Oden and he wants to be just like Oden. Along with the samurai and their undying loyalty to Oden it shows just how powerful of a presence he had with so many people. However, every time this happens I am reminded of that extremely long and dragged on flashback and what we saw of Oden just clashes so much with how the people in universe view him. I can get behind the scabbards to an extent since Oden personally took them in, but for everyone else outside of that, Oden was known to be a trouble maker and then he left the island for a long time until coming back, and then when everyone thought he was going to save Wano he had to embarrass himself throughout the entire country. Even with the explanation of why he danced around, the flashback never made Oden likable to me, let alone this figure that is revered by all the samurai.
    One of the main aspects of Oden's story is "public reputation" and the control of "narrative", which you should know are very fickle and superficial things -- and sometimes public narrative just finds legs of its own as it spreads from mouth to mouth.

Oden himself never cared about his reputation and image, so he never cared to clean any misunderstading. Oden believed that a virtuous action was good in itself, regardless of other people's perception, so he didn't think he needed to explain himself -- and so his reputation was always based on what it looked like at a first glance. Therefore, in his younger years, many of his good actions to help others but which ended in trouble led to his infamy without him ever arguing against it. Likewise, some other actions made him look good, like when he defeated the criminals of Kuri and made the area more lawful, becoming Daimyo and getting a positive reputation -- but Oden hadn't changed at all as a person. All in all, what you have to take from it is that Oden was never in control of the public image, and he never cared to be.

That's not say that Oden didn't have his own faults, since you can blame him for some of his actions too, and in fact Oden didn't enjoy any popularity during his final years. That said, what happens is that Oden's last hour before death was a huge epiphany for the people of Wano (thanks to Shinobu, btw) -- and so he became a Legend. It was just an undeniably powerful Story that spread like wildfire throughout Wano, and common people started to project into the name of Kouzuki Oden an ideal of Hope... because that's what people do.

All that said, you shouldn't mistake Oden's popularity among the citzens with the respect he earned from the people closer to him -- the Scabbards, Hyogoro, Yasuie, Whitebeard, and some other elite Samurai who understood Oden more deeply.
    Last edited by theackwardstation; September 5th, 2021 at 01:21 PM.

Pretty high tier chapter for me, perfectly mixing half a chapter of updating the situation and half a chapter of much needed Yamato attention. A little disappointed to immediately jump into Yams at the point of idolizing Oden, would've liked to see a little of the character's life before that point, personally. Cute is cute however and those pages were dripping with adorable. Personally, I'm immediately enjoying the tension coming from this fire getting out of control more than the tension that the island dropping on the capital has "supposed" to have been creating all this time.

I'm sure there's people out there that have kept much better track of where everyone is than I could, but I still tried to map it out for myself anyway. Stand out thoughts:

Chapters 1022 and 1023 seem to contradict each other on where Raizo and Fukurokuju are fighting. 1022 says they're on the 3rd floor, 1023 says 2nd floor. It very much looks like the same room, so was this ever brought up for possible explanations? Kinda important since this also spells out where Orochi last was.

Hawkins and Killer are supposedly fighting on the 3rd floor. There weren't any signs of fire near them at the time, but it'll be interesting to see if it plays a factor there once we get back to them.

With all the focus on keeping people out of the live floor so Sanji/Zoro and Queen/King can fight, it seems very likely Apoo and Drake aren't present there anymore. It's not impossible, but you'd think that would've been higher priority for Kawamatsu if they were still fighting there.

With Kawamatsu blocking the front and Franky + Bepo blocking the Right Tower, it's kinda weird how much the left tower is still being ignored. It could just be saved for Chopper and Izo/Marco to take point at next chapter, but it's interesting all the same. By memory, hardly anything has happened in the left tower. Maybe this is where Cp0 have been chilling this whole time?

Man, this is a chapter I should love but somehow it just falls flat for me.

But to start off, I love tiny Yamato and I love how he's connected to the (presumed) missing daimyo. I've complained before about how the Beast Pirates feel too separate from Wano's affairs and this helps amend that. There's some genuinely sweet moments like the samurai letting him eat and especially when they help him read the journal. Cuteness overload! Short as it is the flashback brings a lot to the story, hopefully we'll get more.

That said my problems come down to two things. First there's something about the pacing of the pages that make the moments feel rushed, like the flashback was planned to be longer but had to be compacted due to time constraints. There's some pages I wish Oda just let off the dialogue and had the panels speak for themselves, or at least make it less descriptive. "He wants them to fight to the death over that single meal, but not before they kill me first!". Why thank you for the narration Yamato. But ultimately that's mostly nitpicking.

The bigger problem is that I just don't get the Oden thing. Why does Yamato admire Oden and Wano so much? Why does Kaido allow him to call himself Oden? And why is he willing to condemn his son to death because of it? I know we already got some of those answers and might get more in the future, I know Yamato admires Oden because he stood for the freedom he never had, but even though I get the logic behind it my heart just can't get into it. Ultimately I think it's an extension of the Oden Wank Problem - despite this flashback being about an emperor, his son and three (presumed) daimyo including the founder of Zoro's village so much of it still feels like it's about Oden, Oden, Oden. Oh I wanna be free like ODEN! Man I admired that man ODEN. I found this journal from ODEN! Hey I wanna be ODEN! Then die like ODEN! I mean, you are ODEN after all! Mentally I'm going SHUT UP, I WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT YAMATO!

I don't even hate Oden that much, after re-reading the flashback I got a better perspective of him. And I get what Oda is going for, the guy is a legend who inspires everyone. But it's gone to the point where his presence is holding back nearly every single Wano character because so much of their personality and ideals revolve around him. And it drives me nuts.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Oden really is the Wano Poochie.

Decent chapter for me. I'm one of those who still very much needs to be sold on Yamato, so this helps. Like Yamato's neat and all, but the last chapter pretty much confirmed gods exist in One Piece so... yeah lol. I'm much more excited about that.
    Besides the Void Century, Kaido's my most anticipated flashback because his character just keeps getting better and more depth by the chapter. So Yamato getting a flashback surely gets us closer to his.
    "There are no easy answers in this world." Love it, it's a line I've thought many times before Kaido said it.
    Last spread was as usual incredible.
    Last edited by Kaworu; September 5th, 2021 at 04:12 PM.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Wait what, Yamato can use Conqueror too? I missed the spoiler discussions...

Wow she keeps getting better. Even her flashback is not finished! I smell 1 chapter more for her flashback.

And the communication panel within Straw Hat crews are so nicely done...
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

While not as mindblowingly great as the last few, Oda's still going strong in this, the ninth chapter of volume 101, which is shaping up to be one of the series most memorable volumes. Interestingly, the official releases don't see the WT100 spread as part of the actual chapter, leaving this one without any cover at all. I'm going to state again my suspicion that it'll be presented all at once, across six pages, before chapter 1025, at least by the time we get to the volume release. No idea if Mangaplus and Viz will reflect that this week though. Worth noting if we do look at the WT100 page however is that the slight colour differences between the latest volume covers and the anime are reflected here too, showing they were more than a one-off error. Also cool to see Meltan using its canon colours in Kid's arm, something also seemingly reflected in the colour manga panels used on the latest Vivre Cards. I would have guessed copyright woes would have forced them to go a generic metalic grew for plausible deniability, but that's a whole-ass pokemon right there.

Usopp! Haki lies! Foreshadowing! We all know where it's going, but it's still fun to watch. And a good old fashioned skull joke from Brook!

I really enjoyed the battlefield atmosphere portrayed by the opening pages. The strawhats are all trying to get back in touch with each other over comms and share the information they've picked up, meanwhile the toppling of half a dozen officers hasn't automatically wiped out the rank and file soldiers, who remain a going concern. The fires started by Black Maria and Orochi are spreading and becoming more and more dangerous, forcing friends and foes into motion. Law's crew and Kawamatsu and the yakuza are covering key choke points to keep the remaining enemy troops from congregating and rallying. It's war!

We see some more of Yamato and Kaido's relationship this time around. Kaido's mix of disgust and confusion under that first panel Yamato declares himself Oden is palpable on his face. The stance of "fine, be Oden, but Oden was my enemy" is not a bad justification for Kaido's uncharacteristic acceptance of Yamato's identity. But I also read a challenge in the last panel of Kaido as he leaves him in the cave - Kaido *wants* there to be another Oden to give him a fair fight and glorious death, and if his kid manages rise to the challenge and be that, all the better.

What does surprise me is Yamato taking on Oden's identity before he read the logbook in full. So all of this came from the sheer show of will at the execution? The command to open Wano's borders was picked up without knowing its true importance? I'm not totally certain that works for me, but hey, it's Oda's story.

Yams also once again mentions his dream of going out to sea, which goes alongside all his Strawhat-adjacent merch and marketing appearances lately to fuel crewmate speculation. Seems more and more likely he'll leave Wano alongside Luffy. However the last non-crew character who got this kind of main character-level promotion was Law, who has stayed with us for a long time, but has not and will not officially join up, so I'm a long way from convinced he's the eleventh person. Still could be, but just as likely to be a Law-type longterm companion.

The appearance of (a presumed) Ushimaru was interesting, but doesn't quite hit home for me. Mostly because there's not much new really in it. Like, we saw that he was a Zoro lookalike last week. We've known about Shimotsuki village and the dojo's connection to the family for ages. Is this a way to make it clear to magazine-only readers who don't read the SBS? Just an easter egg on our way through Yamato's past? Some have suggested Ushimaru is meant to be Zoro's father, but I don't think there's enough concrete info to say that for sure yet. The theory would have to justify the infant Zoro leaving Wano and making it all the way to Shimotsuki Village. Remember that this couldn't be a planned journey, because Wano has such limited contact with the outside world, let along long distance communication. Shimotsuki Kozaburo would have been persona non grata after leaving thirty years before this scene Ushimaru would have no way of knowing where he settled or if his settlement survived. Hell, he probably wouldn't even know what the East Blue is. These kinds of issues definitely could be handwaved with a few lines of exposition and Zoro's mum (sent out of Wano for her safety after it became clear Kaido was there to stay) managing to reach the village her relative started by sheet plot coincidence, but I want to see that happen before I feel convinced Zoro's anything other than a different branch of the family tree.

The final clash was excellently drawn. Yamato's done well to hold his own so long, but I wouldn't be surprised if he staggers after that last one. The end has to be close so that Luffy and Momo can have their cavalry moment.

And that's it. Feels unreal to have so many back to back chapters. We've been on the same break schedule so long there'll be a decent number of readers who've never had this much One Piece back to back. Good for them! With the end of the volume so close, I'm hoping to see at least one of the major fights wrap up in the next couple of chapters. Or maybe just a couple of the minor ones, given King and Queen are obviously going to be saved for last. There's definitely room to tie off a bunch of the Scabbard loose ends in quick succession.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Interestingly, the official releases don't see the WT100 spread as part of the actual chapter, leaving this one without any cover at all.
    Man, I was finding it strange that the official release had no cover at all and you made me realise that Part 2 of the post is actually the color spread promised for this chapter two weeks ago. I'm slow!
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I guess it makes sense since the last chapter does have a cover request.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Oden really is the Wano Poochie.
    Eh. While I get why people may feel that way, I think they're glossing over what were intended to be conveyed as serious blunders and personal failings on Oden's part, though these certainly weren't overtly focused upon or spelled out by Oda: biggest errors being his chronic failures to reach out for help, attempting to shoulder the burden by his lonesome; and falling prey to the same mistake that Vivi made in thinking their respective challenges could be settled without bloodshed...sacrifice.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information