+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 990: "Thunder Bagua! Enter Kaido's Son"

Default Re: 990: "Thunder Bagua! Enter Kaido's Son"

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Bro half of these are nitpicks rather than genuine signs relax lmao, yall get a little too in depth sometimes. Episode had issues in the actual amount of content in the episode but it wasn't some rush job, and if you're gonna ignore that 988 and 989 were good then thats your fault then lol.
    (also CG minions are better than having anime staff work to the bone to draw them in every single shot )
    Sure these are minor issues and nitpicks, but they accumulate, if you just focus on sakuga you aren't looking at the full picture. Some nice Sakuga ain't gonna save an episode when everything else suffers.

A great example would be Episode of Merry where it was the cracks were obvious. Everything from the the video editing, timing, GGI, layering, lip-flaps, special effects and so on. It all leads to something which is very inconsistent.

Not including a huge group of minions in the background would have worked, half the shots they weren't present anyway. Everything about them were completely off from their character design, poses, expression, focus, repetition. I think there's a good reason why they didn't include shots containing the background characters in the NEP and opening preview. Main point - Toei still isn't ready for anything CG for character models, at least in One Piece.

Did I say the episode didn't suffer? Bro I even admitted it, I'm not just focusing on the sakuga

Guess this forum is still the same, unfortunate
    One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

I hate how inconsistent they are with flashbacks. Last week, flashbacks were in a thinner aspect ratio; this week, we get some weird-ass Windows 97 screensaver overlay playing atop Paypal and our janky dino girl.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Man, I love Yamato. So glad she’s a crew member soon.

This episode was phenomenal. All y’all complaining about the opening recap need to learn to tap your “forward ten seconds” buttons a few times. Just skip the beginning and this episode is great. Only two complains are petty: they misspelled “Page One” (Blu-ray correction, hopefully?) and Ulti holding Luffy and facing off with him drags for too long. Otherwise, gorgeous animation and art. Brilliant directing (especially during the fight scene), and great sound design. From Yamato’s new theme to the sound of thunder when she attacked; her voice actress also sounds perfect—Luffy’s equivalent in both earnestness and badassness. I really loved this episode, but the next one looks like some painful pacing.

How did Ulti get KO’d three times this arc? She’s incredible. Not surprised at all that Nami beat her when she already took this (and later) damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Guess this forum is still the same, unfortunate
    What do you mean by this?

Sorry if my response felt a bit cheeky. I enjoy breaking down episodes from a technical POV. There were clear signs things were rushed in post-production. Same with 986.

I'm not critising you I'm critising a lot of things that get overlooked in the production. (Toei still can't output correctly in full HD and scale objects correctly)

Pretty good episode, the Big Mom filler at the beginning was great!

Everything else was enjoyable as well, they really nailed Ulti as far as I'm concerned. Say, is the track at the end specifically Yamato's theme? I don't remember hearing it before.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

I was excited for this episode based on the preview but after watching it I thought it was kinda boring and dreading a bit too long on scenes that just weren't good in working up tension. Ulti going back and fort before unsleashing a headbutt is quite an ugly thing to look at and it's kinda funny in a bad way.

shot out to the fluid bits of Ulti swaying over P1 and the whole Thunder Bagua sequence.

I didn't even realize that there were CG minions. Though now looking again... Yeah those sure are CG minions. Strangely enough I feel like the biggest issue with them is that they move. Characters that far in the background don't typically move unless they are actively doing stuff, yet these CG mooks have animated breathing. Which, sure, people irl do move ever-so-slightly even when they are "standing still" but this is a level of detail we rarely get in animated stuffs unless they want to specifically draw attention to it (Like, if they want to show that someone is extremely weary or injured or something).

Loooved this episode. Saying the One Piece anime has bad pacing is like saying "Water is wet", and not only that, saying "Water is wet" for 15 years. It's pretty obvious. Saying water is wet won't suddenly change it into a solid.

I'm really liking the relatively new style of movement where they're making tiny adjustments the whole time, reduces still shots a lot and looks more fluid. Also the lighter linewotk was nice.
    9/10 episode for me, always loved the Luffy vs Ulti skirmish.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

Ulti throwing Paypay to the side like a bag of garbage should be made into a gif.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    I hate how inconsistent they are with flashbacks. Last week, flashbacks were in a thinner aspect ratio; this week, we get some weird-ass Windows 97 screensaver overlay playing atop Paypal and our janky dino girl.
    The aspect ratio change is a quirk of director Kohei Kureta. Noone else does that.

Is there any hint of when we get a new opening? We've been stuck with this one for over a year now...

Also, decent episode, the fight with Ult was cool, I like Yamato's voice.

I've just finished catching up after binge watching all of episodes 969-990 (and the corresponding Skippy breakdowns, of course). Another Ishitani episode, Yamauchi acting as director once again, a lot of webgen/foreign animator appearances... I feel spoiled, and catching up at a Nagamine episode is the cherry on top. Anyway, nice episode, this was a clash I loved in the manga and we knew the action scenes were gonna knock it out of the park given the staff involved. Ulti's seiyuu is a highlight for me as well, it doesn't seem like an easy role to play, but she's been killing it. The episode suffered a bit due to only adapting one scene (and a fight one at that), but it was pretty good nonetheless.

re: the CG Beast Pirates, I'm of the opinion that they looked awful since I always pay attention to these things and they stood out like a sore thumb to me here, but I understand why they're needed and it's a minor thing so no biggie. Gotta say that Kid's arms a couple episodes back looked much better, however, so props there.

Kid's CG arms were just a good idea in general. The anime has always struggled to even draw his arms, let alone make them move. Making them CG finally allows them to actually make Kid's scenes more than just a less detailed, colored version of his manga panels and makes it so he can actually do stuff on screen.

Agreed, it was a wise decision and it should give the staff some wiggle room whenever Kid is on the screen aside from helping reduce the workload. On that note, Kid's crew has already had more focus in the anime that in all the manga thus far, which is fun to think about hahah.
    Last edited by Devil G.; September 9th, 2021 at 07:56 AM.

I for one like the recent aspect ratio changes for flashbacks and wish more of the directors adopted it. The way I see it, the black borders on the top and bottom of the screen is a clever adaptation of how the panel gutters go black during a flashback in the manga.
    New World is best world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Kid's CG arms were just a good idea in general. The anime has always struggled to even draw his arms, let alone make them move. Making them CG finally allows them to actually make Kid's scenes more than just a less detailed, colored version of his manga panels and makes it so he can actually do stuff on screen.
    Yeah, something worth noting for this episode for Kidd's arms, is that even though they CG animated being formed, they actually seemed hand drawn for the majority of the episode. I think its interesting to see that they sort of just drew it as an iron arm, hence you had stuff like Kidd's mechanical hand having a human palm to it. This is not a dig at the animator, it still looked and moved very well, but its interesting to see this approach to simplifying Kidd's arm aesthetic.

Sadly, I think its going to be next to impossible to do that with his larger constructs though.

Credit to Masahiro Kitazaki for being an absolute work horse on the anime and still producing pretty solid action animation.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information