+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Eiichiro Oda: "The story is in the final phase"

Default Re: Eiichiro Oda: "The story is in the final phase"

Quote Originally Posted by Hakai View Post
    He did not, that scene is basically Oda telling us that LaughTale is not the last Island and that the last island is not the main goal for the crew, the path they are on right now will lead them to what they really want(LaughTale), following the Log will lead them to Lodestar which will be a waste of time since what lies in there is something they already know.

Can they go there? Sure. But Oda is telling us is kinda pointless right now.
    Sorry, I simply do not agree.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Yeah not seeing Oda saying Lodestar is pointless at all.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

He's said this so many times that it's lost all meaning. I don't see the series ending before 2025 though. Given all the material that still needs to be covered plus Oda's generally awful pacing, it'll be a miracle if he ends the series within the next 4 years.

Discovered Stowaway ArseneWenger's Avatar

I do not think it is ending before 2027.

He can then both do the 30 years celebrationand big ending together.
    Whichever side wins becomes the Justice.

I think Oda really wants to finish in the timeframe he established, but he doesn't actually know how to do so.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I think, with all the characters and different plots that need to be adressed in every arc and on the (One Piece) world stage, it has become a very difficult thing to estimate how long any story of this magnitude will still last.
    Last edited by flandrian15; October 15th, 2021 at 01:34 AM.
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November

Quote Originally Posted by Oshawott View Post
    He's said this so many times that it's lost all meaning.
    The meaning was NEVER literally "it'll end five years to the day". From the minute he said it, no one who knew his habits believed it. Like, even if he meant *exactly* that he'd still be off by a few months no matter what.

But the actual meaning, the intent."there's only a few arcs left, I'm entering the endgame and want to wrap it up" are pretty clear. Especially since he keeps saying it and doubling down.

Corners ARE getting cut. As padded and bloated as Wano has been, we've seen lots and lots and LOTS of stuff shoved off screen that should have gotten at least a few pages. Like everything with Jack.

I don't think the series is going to finish in the next three years, but I'm not betting on it taking a decade anymore either. 6-7 years for 2027 still seems about right at this point in time, for the 30th anniversary.

The immediate aftermath of Wano and how the world gets shaken up could very easily set things into high gear in ways we just can't guess. The real tell will be if Elbaf is the next major island, and how that's handled. If its's a shorter arc of 10-25 chapters, if its used to tie up loose ends more than be its own thing, (Big Mom, Vegapunk, Shanks, etc.)

But if Elbaf ends up being another 2 year 100 chapter mega arc that's basically self contained, then yeah, Oda just can't help himself and its running to year 35.
    Last edited by Robby; October 15th, 2021 at 08:20 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I mean Elbaf could be the place where it all goes down.

Would be nice if it was THE craziest arc in terms of resolving loose plotthreads

That'd be the dream, wouldn't it

I mean, it would be fitting for an arc paying homage to Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The meaning was NEVER literally "it'll end five years to the day". From the minute he said it, no one who knew his habits believed it. Like, even if he meant *exactly* that he'd still be off by a few months no matter what.

But the actual meaning, the intent."there's only a few arcs left, I'm entering the endgame and want to wrap it up" are pretty clear. Especially since he keeps saying it and doubling down.
    I remember there were people in this very forum who believed him completely though.

I think it will be like 300 chapters or so after the end of Wano. I'm also looking forward to Elbaf, or whatever next island/arc is going to be, that will tell us a lot about how long One Piece has left.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information