+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Eiichiro Oda: "The story is in the final phase"

Default Re: Eiichiro Oda: "The story is in the final phase"

Yeah, this isn't a shocking development. After Wano, things are going to start moving very, very fast.

Elbaf is the only open point that I think needs its own standalone arc, and then there's little else that doesn't play into either the final conflict with Blackbeard or the final conflict with the World Government, whether those two events occur separately or simultaneously. I'm excited to see how it's going to play out!

As I wrote in the “New Marineford arc” Thread, I believe he means the final war has already started.

The first salvo were the Revolutionaries declaring war on the Celestial Dragons in the Reverie.
    Then the abolition of the Warlords and the Marines going after them.
    And now the Straw Hats and the new generation waging war on Onigashima against two Emperors.

Every arc from now on will have new events of this war in either fore or background. Shanks vs Teach, Straw Hats going to Mary Geoise. Vegapunk. Elbaf.

We are in the endgame, but there’s still a lot of game left.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    As I wrote in the “New Marineford arc” Thread, I believe he means the final war has already started.

The first salvo were the Revolutionaries declaring war on the Celestial Dragons in the Reverie.
    Then the abolition of the Warlords and the Marines going after them.
    And now the Straw Hats and the new generation waging war on Onigashima against two Emperors.

Every arc from now on will have new events of this war in either fore or background. Shanks vs Teach, Straw Hats going to Mary Geoise. Vegapunk. Elbaf.

I can get behind this as an idea. I'm picturing the relationship between Elbaf and the final war as not unlike the overlap of Thriller Bark and Marineford. The crew has a few more distractions they need to get out of their system, but the machinery of the end battle is already in motion; the domino chain leading into it has started and can't be stopped.

I do believe that we entered the final phase from a story perspective .
    The thing, is how long will the final part be? Even if Oda takes shortcuts by merging several plotlines into one I cannot see the series ending in less than 200 chapters (Current WCI-Wano lenght) from now except radical change in Oda's writing's style. And 200 chapters is 5 years alone with the current schedule
    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Basically this.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Also, where is that dang 4th Road Poneglyph? If it's not at Elbaf or Marie Geois or whatever, that's another arc to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Also, where is that dang 4th Road Poneglyph? If it's not at Elbaf or Marie Geois or whatever, that's another arc to find it.
    If Shanks has it, or its on Elbaf or with Vegapunk, that box can be checked off very easily. Heck, we *started* with one of them already before we even knew we needed them. It won't need a dedicated search arc, just convenient placement.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If Shanks has it, or its on Elbaf or with Vegapunk, that box can be checked off very easily. Heck, we *started* with one of them already before we even knew we needed them. It won't need a dedicated search arc, just convenient placement.
    Even if there is a dedicated search arc, it could be handled as a cover story if the SHGF do most of the searching.
    Or Oda could do something interesting and have a sequel arc to the Reverie focusing on Vivi, Sabo, Kuma, Garp, and the other revolutionaries with the Straw Hats searching for the Poneglyph as the cover arc.

Simpler still: some antagonist already has it

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    I just hope Marco knows where it is, since it was on FMI. Or maybe even Jinbe heard something about it.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

I just think it's worth considering Oda's perspective that readership refreshes every five years and the fact that that exact timeframe has been estimated three consecutive years in a row. I'm not saying he isn't intentionally working toward the conclusion or that this isn't the 'endgame', but Oda's arcs and stories always longest in the last leg.

Case in point, he always gets to the actin portion of his story arcs before the midpoint in terms of chapter count. His setup is always quicker than his resolution. It's just his writing style.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    I just think it's worth considering Oda's perspective that readership refreshes every five years and the fact that that exact timeframe has been estimated three consecutive years in a row. I'm not saying he isn't intentionally working toward the conclusion or that this isn't the 'endgame', but Oda's arcs and stories always longest in the last leg.

Case in point, he always gets to the actin portion of his story arcs before the midpoint in terms of chapter count. His setup is always quicker than his resolution. It's just his writing style.
    The setup is 1024 chapters long, so the final phase is longer? Is that what you're saying? Just kidding, I think it will last 300-400 chapters after the end of Wano

I believe One Piece will be exactly 1200 chapters long. The first half lasted exectliy 600 chapters from chapter 1: Romance Dawn to chapter 600: Island of New Beginnings, and the second half will last from chapter 601:Romance Dawn for the New World to chapter 1200:Island of Beginnings and Endings (Loguetown).
    First 100 chapters of One Piece felt like a prologue with the main story starting on chapter 100 The Legend has begun. I think that the final war arc will start with chapter 1100 and the next 100 chapters will be the "epilogue" saga.

1200 chapters felt right a few years ago, but then Cake land was two years and Wano was 3 going on 4.

There's still just a little too much to do for the series to be wrapped up in 180 chapters without serious corner cutting.

Obviously Oda can do whatever he wants and we as fans may be assuming one or two more things are "required" that Oda doesn't exactly, like Elbaf... but its hard to imagine him skipping that one.

Maybe 1300 at this point?
    Last edited by Robby; September 3rd, 2021 at 01:16 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

"I wait for you, Luffy!" blackness662's Avatar

This "new" message is nothing special, I think we already got some information about the last part of OP (from Jump Festa, etc):
    - after Wano, which concludes the Yonkou saga, Luffy and the others will race to Laugh Tale.
    Maybe this could be called Laugh Tale saga or One Piece saga.
    Elbaf could be a small stop before the final island.
    The fated battle between Shanks vs Teach will also happen during the trip.

- after Luffy getting OP, the final war will start against the World Government.
    Im and the Gorosei won't stand idle and let Luffy enjoy his victory.
    In this saga, it is a good chance we will meet Vegapunk and we will learn more about the Revolutionaries (as well Dragon).
    The SH alliance fleet will have a big impact to ensure the WG's defeat.

- after the big war, we will get the epilogue arc.

That's how I see the rest of the manga, based on the information we received so far.
    Altogether, these sagas and arcs would be counted up to 375-400 chapters (ending the series at 1400 or 1425).
    Last edited by blackness662; September 3rd, 2021 at 01:09 AM.

Yeah. I think we'll probably see multiple plots mixed in and wrapped up in Elbaf which may have been their own island before now.

Hopefully Brackbeardu will cut some corners for him.

It ain't ending any time soon in my opinion. The next saga is definitely the Laugh Tale saga but how much that encompasses, who knows? I'm not even convinced the next arc will be Elbaf, I think we might go with Marco to visit Ace's grave while the opportunity is there to do so. It would be a good, shorter arc, to have Garp and Luffy meet again and also deal with the Weevil storyline.

As for the 4th Poneglyph, we know it was on Fishman Island at one point. So I feel like it was probably stolen by giants or it somehow got swept away (if its the latter, I have a feeling that Law might actually find it in a cover story seeing as he has a submarine and can search the sea floor with ease).

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    1200 chapters felt right a few years ago, but then Cake land was two years and Wano was 3 going on 4.

There's still just a little too much to do for the series to be wrapped up in 180 chapters without serious corner cutting.

Obviously Oda can do whatever he wants and we as fans may be assuming one or two more things are "required" that Oda doesn't exactly, like Elbaf... but its hard to imagine him skipping that one.

Maybe 1300 at this point?
    I disagree. We are currently in the Enies Lobby Phase of the New World. Next should be a 50 chapter Thriller Bark/Elbaf and a 100 chapter Paramount War/ Final War

0s East Blue/ 600s Fishmen Island/ Punk Hazard
    100s Alabasta/ 700s Dressrosa
    200s Sky Island/ 800s WCI
    And now 300s to mid 400s W7/ 900s to mid 1000s Wano
    Last edited by UniversallyBlue; September 3rd, 2021 at 02:07 AM.

I'd say 2026. You know how Oda is, he ends up making things even longer than he usually plans for. Elbaf, the aftermath of the Reverie, whatever is going with Shanks, 4th Road Poneglyph, the showdown with BB, Laugh Tale and the flashback to the void century, and then the final war.

People expecting 1400-1500 chapters should have in mind that means another 10-13 years of manga. We have no idea if Oda has it in him to keep drawing One Piece until he's nearing 60.
    My personal feeling is that he'll try to wrap things up until 1250-1300 tops. The man clearly loves his life work but it would be perfectly understandable if he's reaching a point where he just wanna live his life.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information