+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One Piece: Naoshi Komi Covers Viviís Adventure

Default One Piece: Naoshi Komi Covers Viviís Adventure

Manga Plus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009807
    VIZ Manga: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...89?action=read

Author Comments: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga-musings-08-29-2021

Naoshi Komi (Author of Nisekoi: False Love and Double Arts)

I had many dreams when I was young of being a member of the Straw Hats and going on adventures. A hearty congrats for reaching 100 volumes!
    Last edited by Shift; August 29th, 2021 at 08:52 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

Default Re: One Piece: Naoshi Komi Covers Viviís Adventure

Compared to Boichi's redraw of the Mihawk fight this was.. lacking. Really felt like it was a bit off and some characters like Bon or Chopper just dont work for me in this style.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

I think it just didn't feel enough like it's own product. Boichi went all out redoing the paneling and camera angles in his own distinctive style, hitting the core beats of the fight, but making his own way there.

Here, even though you can see things have been rearranged if you put the two chapters side by side, it isn't enough to feel different from the original. It doesn't help that Komi's style is a lot more normal anime than either Oda or Boichi. Like, he's a damn good artist, there's no doubting that, but I think I'd struggle to pick his work out of a lineup of generic anime looks. The chapter looks great, of course, but it didn't give me a substantially different impression to how I remembered that part of story going the same way the Boichi one did.

Mighta been more interesting if they were given something totally different like a straight up action chapter to contrast with the pretty art style.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ーī)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

All of these redrawn chapters are fascinating… because they preserve the sound effects.

I’d say that sound effects might be the most underdiscussed aspect of the series in the West. Had no clue that Vivi’s request was a ドン!! moment. She’ll return to the 一味.

Man, it was a lot of time since the last time I read Arabasta's ending and that friendship sign still hit my feelings jackpot. Now I want Vivi back in the crew again.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Good bonus chap. Impressive how it was stretched for over 50 pages and yet still felt like the original chapter and episode (that I happened to recently watch).

Looking forward to Vivi's return.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information