+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting in Bobby's Eyes

yeah, he's not a Shimotsuki

he just looks a lot like Ushimaru for no reason whatsoever

Spoiler:
    which actually could be a nod to the Kuina/Tashigi thing, but that's a coinky dink that I can't get behind
    Last edited by dirt monkey AL; August 30th, 2021 at 12:21 PM. Reason: bobby smells
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Nothing Really Mattress Czechmate's Avatar

Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

And Zoro looks like Ryuuma because the latter was designed by Oda first, used as a basis for the former, and then was conveniently re-threaded into One Piece's story.

And Duval looks like Sanji's drawn bounty poster for pure shits and giggles.

And Kuina and Tashigi, as you said, do look identical for no reason that we can discern, as an intentional plot point.

So you can suspect that they're related, and if Oda drops a retcon-level reveal that makes Zoro into a Shimotsuki, then I'll drop this. But it's an assertion unsubstantiated by the story so far.

Everyone is a Shimotsuki... man they were busy in the East Blue...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

besides the fact that they are indeed from the same village and nothing stops Ushimaru from having some of his other family members emigrating with him out of Wano

Zoro doesn't have to be a direct descendent of Ushimaru to look like him either. Either Ushimaru had a shit ton of kids or even a brother or sister come with him to pass the genes along.

sometimes, the simplest answer IS the answer, dude
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

And here I thought after over one thousand chapters people would stop with this nonsense. The mayor of Luffy's hometown talked about destiny like it was the most normal thing very early into the series, and no one batted an eye. As of the latest chapter, none of the Strawhats got to where they are now because of genes or whatever.

Are we also going to ignore that the crew avoided complete annihilation once thanks to a bomb that had +200 chapters of build up? Like, Oda could have come up with whatever escape route out of sheer luck and it would have still worked, but he actually went that far to make the crew survival all the more legit. Oda isn't the type that takes the easiest approach.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

someone being the direct descendent of someone from the distant past does not erase everything else - it's also an incredibly Shounen thing to do, so why are you surprised again? this is actually a similar argument from way back when when Luffy's own relations were coming to light

ohno Zoro might be related to Ryuuma ALL OF ODA'S WORK IS MOOT NOW. FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE. THIS THE MAIN PROBLEM

Quote Originally Posted by dirt monkey AL View Post
    sometimes, the simplest answer IS the answer, dude
    This is true. Somehow I don't think "the character with a different name than the fated bloodline, who trained under them but was never acknowledged as a relative by any of those people, is secretly related to them by way of hypothetical characters I have made up, rather than being an instance of the story's emphasis on inherited will being more important than blood relations" is the simplest answer here

wow, it's almost as if Ushi's sister or someone could've married someone from the East Blue

Personally i just take it at face value

or that

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Ryuuma looks awesome and him being one eyed, I hope this will put some end to the Zoro will open his left eye for some shit.

Abour Sanji... How was he using the raid suit 2 times.

1. Against Page One
    2. Against Drake and Hawkins
    3. Against King

Or do Oda want to say that after Page One he never transformed back
    My take was that he started feeling the change after the second time, not necessarily that the second time was the last time he used it. In this way, I did not see a disconnect.

someone being the direct descendent of someone from the distant past does not erase everything else - it's also an incredibly Shounen thing to do, so why are you surprised again? this is actually a similar argument from way back when when Luffy's own relations were coming to light

ohno Zoro might be related to Ryuuma ALL OF ODA'S WORK IS MOOT NOW. FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE. THIS THE MAIN PROBLEM
    The people that frequent this forum section are quite special... But at least is not as bad as, say, 4chan.

wow, it's almost as if Ushi's sister or someone could've married someone from the East Blue
    is secretly related to them by way of hypothetical characters I have made up

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Personally i just take it at face value
    Just like people pointing out the connections between Luffy and Roger suggest they're directly related, huh?

fwiw it doesn't matter to me much if Zoro is a descendant of Ryuuma, though I'd obviously be interested to see how that's confirmed/addressed in the story or SBS or whatever. I just feel like I'm reading a different manga than everyone else when I read internet discourse sometimes - the conclusion of 'Shimotsuki Zoro' from this chapter feels like bizarre mental gymnastics to me. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    The people that frequent this forum section are quite special... But at least is not as bad as, say, 4chan.
    ya'll aren't that special, trust me

Quote Originally Posted by Czechmate View Post
    [/COLOR]

Just like people pointing out the connections between Luffy and Roger suggest they're directly related, huh?

fwiw it doesn't matter to me much if Zoro is a descendant of Ryuuma, though I'd obviously be interested to see how that's confirmed/addressed in the story or SBS or whatever. I just feel like I'm reading a different manga than everyone else when I read internet discourse sometimes - the conclusion of 'Shimotsuki Zoro' from this chapter feels like bizarre mental gymnastics to me. oh well.
    I sure don't really care that much. That's why I'm arguing with someone on an anime/manga forum about it and even made a list of my points and reasoning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    Nah, I just want to have a laugh with the snowflakes that immediately called Yamato "trans". Nothing else.
    Who are you referring to? Just about everyone was confused on how exactly to handle Yamato the first couple of chapters after he was first introduced, wondering where exactly Oda was going with this. Then before long it became clear that aside from the sole instance of the intro box making it clear what Yamato's biological gender was, virtually every other instance within the arc was consistent in making it clear to view Yamato as a man until further notice, with Luffy himself following suit. And the sole time it didn't was in that one flashback with Yamato and Ace, when a Spade Pirate who never met Yamato mistakenly referred to him as "Yamato's daughter", which noticeably resulted in Yamato getting visibly upset.

I honestly don't understand how people that are simply going along with what the actual manga is telling us are "snowflakes", yet people still in denial over a year later on how the manga refers to Yamato apparently aren't. Especially when even now you still have people on social media as recently as today (due to the reveal of his VA) going out of their way to defiantly assert that Yamato is a woman no matter what despite no one asking.

except it doesn't point to that - this is a weird leap of logic
    Nah, I agree with him that you can easily it that way given Kaido's use of the word "either". Especially since it's not like Luffy ever brought up Joy Boy to Kaido in the first place, so there's a good chance he had someone in his thoughts when he was saying that.

In Logue Town Dragon was there for no apparent reason, and his son Luffy just happened to be also there. What a coincidence, right? Or was it because of FATE

I sure don't really care that much. That's why I'm arguing with someone on an anime/manga forum about it and even made a list of my points and reasoning behind it.
    I appreciate you taking the time to make your bad faith engagement with this discussion abundantly clear -- have a lovely day

I appreciate you taking the time to make your bad faith engagement with this discussion abundantly clear -- have a lovely day
    fwiw it doesn't matter to me much if Zoro is a descendant of Ryuuma
    . .

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Who are you referring to?
    My apologies, I should have elaborated on. I was referring to that type of individuals you only find in twitter who cannot get in their thick heads that two males can just be really good friends. Yamato indeed identifies herself as male, and we shall also addresss as such since that's what is stated in the manga. There's no problem with that, but I cannot stand when someone puts words in the author's mouth that he didn't explicitly said.

ooh, so you're just gross

got it

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information