+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

Plottwist her dad wasn't sexist, he just sensed that Zoro was born with chosen haki and was from a greater house than hers

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

Even though they're both apparently Shimotsuki?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt monkey AL View Post
    Even though they're both apparently Shimotsuki?
    Clearly she was from a branch house. The cousins from the countryside. The Nejis to the big balled Hinatas

apparently, he was from the branch house to not have the dojo in his name
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Plottwist her dad wasn't sexist, he just sensed that Zoro was born with chosen haki and was from a greater house than hers
    And pushed her down the stairs...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

I read somewhere that "falling down the stairs" is used as euphemism of suicide in Japan, true or not true?

apparently, he was from the branch house to not have the dojo in his name
    The villagers took one look at him and said -Hey man there is no way you can get away with callling your gym the giga chad experience. And he agreed since he knew he wasn't born to rule

Nothing Really Mattress Czechmate's Avatar

I feel like I'm getting MK Ultra'd every time someone says "oh so Zoro is a Shimotsuki huh" and then getting mad about it. If Oda reveals that explicitly I'll eat my shorts, for sure, but for right now Zoro is Ryuuma's blood descendant every bit as much as Luffy is the son of the Pirate King.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    I read somewhere that "falling down the stairs" is used as euphemism of suicide in Japan, true or not true?
    that's a bullshit myth

If Zorro was Shimatsuki's son, I wonder why he lived his early life as a neglected child...
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Quote Originally Posted by auem View Post
    If Zorro was Shimatsuki's son, I wonder why he lived his early life as a neglected child...
    Maybe something happend around 20 years ago that would leave his parents somewhat dead

also he wasn't his son
    Last edited by dirt monkey AL; August 30th, 2021 at 11:01 AM. Reason: bobby smells

Quote Originally Posted by Czechmate View Post
    every bit as much as Luffy is the son of the Pirate King.
    One of THE most recurring themes and messages of the series is "it doesn't matter who you're related to by blood, its about who you CHOOSE to be your family."

This is prevalent in just about every major character's lflashback, outside of Usopp and Brook (whose past we know nothing about) I think every single Strawhat (and Law) was adopted and raised by strangers. Maybe Jinbe, but we never met his parents so who knows.

Blood (of the covenant) is thicker than water (of the womb). Luffy, Ace, and Sabo, BECAME blood brothers. They chose to be brothers.

And Ace was the actual son of the Pirate King.

Luffy isn't the direct son of Roger, but he's in the immediate family.

Luffy is also wearing the actual hat of the pirate king. So that's something.

But that might be why all the fated one stuff, or the "direct descendant" stuff is rubbing so many the wrong way. For most of the series its explicitly been NOT about who you were related to.

This is of course before we find out that Portgas D. Rouge was Garp's sister or something and that they are actually directly related.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

I mean, it's not like Zoro has actively coasted on being Ryuma's descendant. Every achievement he's done, he did on his own merits.

If Kozaburo turns out to be the "old guy" that Zoro told Momo about, then he is not a Shimotsuki. Interesting that the same chapter Zoro is given Enma, he also tells Momo where he got Sunnachi from. Less than 7 pages later, Tenguyama reveals the name of Kozaburo. The guy who made both Wado and Enma, as well as established Zoro's village. If Zoro was related to the old guy, I think he would refer to him differently.

Ace and Luffy refer to Garp in slightly different ways, but even Ace has not said "old guy".

All this BS talk about bloodlines and descendants reminds me of when people thought Luffy was Roger's reincarnation. Good times.

Like I said before, Zoro could be related to Ryuuma, be a direct descendant, I don't know, and it wouldn't change one bit the fact he earned his strength and fame with his sweat and blood. Same goes for the other crewmembers.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    But that might be why all the fated one stuff, or the "direct descendant" stuff is rubbing so many the wrong way. For most of the series its explicitly been NOT about who you were related to.
    That's a great point. I'm usually not really bothered by "chosen one" narratives, but somehow the recent revelations bug me. But that might it. Revealing it pretty late while going against most of the series dramatic backbone is just too stark of a contrast. Never really thought about it this way.

also he wasn't his son
    I hear you, you mean he is a clone!

Or time traveler. Or a time traveling clone

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    I'm so looking forward to the massive meltdown twitter will undergo when Yamato sees the grown-up Momo and she lays down the "I'm Oden" mantra.
    Why? Momo probably looks like Oden, but he's definitely not Oden and a huge part of his character arc is becoming his own man. Maybe Yamato gives up on being Oden (I used to think so), but I see it being just as likely that Yamato sees it as an ideal and won't drop it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    All this BS talk about bloodlines and descendants reminds me of when people thought Luffy was Roger's reincarnation. Good times.

Like I said before, Zoro could be related to Ryuuma, be a direct descendant, I don't know, and it wouldn't change one bit the fact he earned his strength and fame with his sweat and blood. Same goes for the other crewmembers.
    It would seem to affect the fact that he was born with CoC.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

This is of course before we find out that Portgas D. Rouge was Garp's sister or something and that they are actually directly related.
    Yeah, this is the same stuff that Naruto pulled, though it was a bit more obvious with Naruto. I don't understand why Mangaka are so insistent on making hard work from a nobody a theme and then running away from it. Maybe it's a cultural thing and the early parts confirm the hard work while the latter reveal of bloodline satisfies those who care about that stuff. I know I don't like it, lol.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Why? Momo probably looks like Oden, but he's definitely not Oden and a huge part of his character arc is becoming his own man. Maybe Yamato gives up on being Oden (I used to think so), but I see it being just as likely that Yamato sees it as an ideal and won't drop it at all.
    Because I'm very certain Yamato just wanted to keep Oden's legacy alive. But that's not the reason twitter would have a meltdown, but the fact Yamato would stop identifying herself as Oden, and therefore as a man.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    It would seem to affect the fact that he was born with CoC.
    That's the entire point of CoC, is the only type of color that's inherited somehow.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information