+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    After Sulong expires the user is paralyzed / falls to sleep. Brook saved Carrot from falling into the sea after she was done dismantling BM's ships, and later they stored her below the deck to recover.

I guess she would sleep right now too if Cat vs. Tongue wouldn't be such a nailbiter.
    You're right about the tiredness of Sulong, but Carrot jumped into Brook when he came to take her. She was not falling into the sea.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

I... love King. Enemy generals that are super serious are rare nowadays, there are usually banters involved. You say King lacks character, but for me *that* is his character. Stoic, business-oriented guy that let his fist and sword and leg do the talking.

Queen with his showbiz banters is fun too, ofc. Also did Jack became a mammoth centaur in hybrid form???
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Imo King's character concept is good but he lacks the panel time to make that concept really work in practice.

Like, since the concept is being a stoic, serious business guy, show us him solving problems in a very serious way.

Now granted we are getting that right now, but would be cool if we'd gotten more of it earlier.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

I hereby summon a "cat got your tongue" joke from Nekomamushi mid-fight

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    I... love King. Enemy generals that are super serious are rare nowadays, there are usually banters involved. You say King lacks character, but for me *that* is his character. Stoic, business-oriented guy that let his fist and sword and leg do the talking.
    Normally my favorite characters are the goofy ones, but since the last two crews were 95% clown shoes the one sane man sticks out more than the chubby dancer who bugs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    - who dug that hole in the roof ? The name sounds like one of Zoro's attacks, but it looks like an explosion, so it could have been Ashura's bomb blowing up.
    That was the hole Kaido dug when he went to the rooftop with the scabbards. Jack and Inu are in an opea area right now, behind the castle, but inside the dome.

Pretty hype highs to outweigh the cringe of Adult Momo in the end.

I kinda hope we keep this 2v2 going and don't separate them into their individual 1v1s, but it's shaping up to be pretty great regardless. As already said, it's really a shame we couldn't have gotten at least a little more of King before this point, but I guess better late than never to finally be cool.

Cool to see Kawamatsu and Izo finally finding their role to play, even if it's just playing bodyguard and clean up crew on the live floor. That just leaves Denjiro skulking around. I think it's a safe bet that Ashura's gonna find the energy to help Inu land a devastating/finishing blow on Jack. It's too convenient not to, moving the fight into that otherwise empty room. I personally also think Peros is gonna put up a better fight than people give him credit for and it'll probably take Carrot and Wanda stepping in to help finish him off. Either way, Inu and Neko are dropping after these from overtaxing Sulong to continue the trend of scabbard "deaths".

In regards to Momoden.....it is what it is. I'll give it time, but I'm not gonna be particularly happy if he's also super skilled and over all his fears. I'm hoping we're immediately reminded that he's still mentally an awkward 8 year old as they start flying back. Also I just noticed Caribou clinging to Jean Bart out of fear, lol.

Man, this was a satisfying one to read. Oda couldn't have done a better job if he'd asked me personally what he should cover. First, he draws a connection between King's Fire and the idea of humans spontaneously combusting, which I wrote a whole thing about and edited an image for last week. Then, he names King's race Lunarians and says they lived in a land of gods, tying in a whole long of longterm lore I've been very interested in for a while.

And hey, here's something I said last week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    It's interesting to see that Ashura Doji's body has snow falling over it. I was pretty sure he fell inside the dome. Maybe the fake Oden's explosion blew a hole in the wall we didn't get to see at the time.
    I wish I'd spent more time on this, because I knew Jack and Inu were fighting near where he fell, and I've been saying for months that the move to the clear skies over the capital would lead to a Sulong revival, so I should've figured out exactly what was coming this week! It feels so obvious in hindsight! And yeah, the Sulong encore, foreshadowed by the moon in the background of the cutaways to the capital, has come to pass as predicted. Finally, Momo's transformation takes place, fulfilling a whole lot of foreshadowing and tying up thematic threads as predicted.

Basically we've got a whole lot cool lore being discussed and some clever, mostly environment-driven foreshadowing being fulfilled, the kind of stuff that feels good to see because it just clicks into place in hindsight. I love it.

Going on to the rest of the chapter, Kawamatsu and Izo being regulated to fodder cleanup for the final stage of the battle is a little disappointing. I know we don't have time for any more major fights, but I liked those guys. They deserve spotlight moments too! Marco and Izo's interaction was nice though.

It's great to see the Zoro/Sanji/King/Queen fight be an actual 2v2 with dialogue going back and forth and attacks not always going to the same opponent, forcing the two Strawhats to cover each other. You love to see it, especially since Robin and Brook missed their shot at a duo fight just a few chapters ago. Queen has a whole lot of nerve asking if a human does what Sanji does while his body is doing what it's doing. Zoro's comment about Sanji's eyebrows is A+ banter. I wonder what else King's sword is hiding. It's status as a killer machine can't possible be limited just to the notches appearing and disappearing. Maybe his suit will also show off some sneaky enhancements in-line with his new status as a not-swordsman.

I could be wrong on this point, and please correct me if I am, but is this is the first time ever, in 24 years, that we've seen Zoro specifically use his mouth sword in a fight?

We now have a direct parallel being drawn between Zoro, the last Shimotsuki daimyo and Ryuma. This is curious because the SBS already confirmed Koshiro and Kuina to be direct descendants of the Shimotsuki line. Does that make Zoro a cousin to them or something, if he's really meant to be an actual Shimostuski too?

Jack's hybrid form is just the right level of ridiculous (and good to see Oda going for more unique designs than just a buff guy with animal sleeves and cowling) and Fukurokuju using his earlobes to fly is perfect. What a character!

I like Neko calling Perospero Lickspittle as an insult. Wouldn't shock me if Stephen brought that one back from an initial drawing board of possible English adaptations of Perospero's name.

And finally, we have Momo looking awesome. Not much to say about how right this is as an ending for his arc, because I said it already both when this development was pitched and in the thread with the poll. That reveal panel is fantastically dramatic. Luffy looks every bit a king with his coat billowing and that enormous beast lowering its head for him to get on. The callback to Momo's introduction, nine years ago now, really sells how far we've come.

The first part of the WT100 poster is also out and looking great, but as expected, it's not a colour spread for this chapter. But I think I read that we are getting real colour pages next week. Will part two of the poster be there on top of a normal spread? Or will the colour spread be the middle part of the poster, and the volume will collect the full thing together ahead of chapter 1024 in the same way the chapter 1000 colour spread was released across two issues of Jump but published together in volume 99. Either way, man, I'm happy this week, and I expect to be happy next week as well.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Pretty crazy chapter.

Touched on this in the spoiler thread, but Lunarians have got to be from the moon and related to the other sky tribes. Given their powers and the current states of the places they (likely) have lived (read: barren rock), something tells me they went extinct for a reason.

I sure do hope Zoro makes good on his word and throws down with King. He's got the assets to physically dominate an opponent and hopefully we get to see it play out like that.

*Meh* so far on Shimotsuki Zoro. I'll probably need to see how this plays out further before I develop any real opinion on it.

I've got a bad feeling that Sanji's bad feeling is his modifications starting to kick in. I just don't see the purpose...but it could create a potentially interesting wrinkle in the fight should Sanji has to struggle to prevent his emotions from getting wiped out.

I'm also very concerned that Perospero is doomed to be offscreened. At least give us 1 chapter of him going all-out with a candy gauntlet against Neko.

Spoiler:

On Zoro's lineage, maybe the name Roronoa is the key.

The people of Wano know him only as Zorojuro, once they learn his true name, I think they'll reveal that a Roronoa came to the country a long time ago. He learned the way of the sword, fell in love to a Shimotsuki lady, and eventually left with her. Kosaburo, the lady's father, led a few other Shitmotsoki away from the country behind because of this.

So, Zoro is a Shitmotsuki by blood but not by name. His master's sister is his mother, and he's Kuina's cousin.

-----------------

On other thought, I wanna see if the next few chapters will focus mostly or exclusively on Zoro and Sanji's fights, or if they'll be longer and take only part of the next chapters. The first option may be faster but will make the fights may not seem that hard. The second means there are more developments the story needs to fulfill before victory is possible. It will be interesting either way.
    Last edited by Deicide; August 29th, 2021 at 05:37 PM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I love lore and mystery coming to a head! Certain things probably never needed to be addressed and were fine as is but learning a bit more about Zoro and Sanji is amazing and fun to me. Whether Oda decided on these details far later or not it fits, it's fun and it's cool!

I mean what are we supposed to make of this?!

We know winged people come from the moon, there could be more winged people that come from other planets all together. God's generally come from the heavens/stars in most any culture you could imagine and we get a direct comparison of the newly named Lunarian's to Sanji. I love that Sanji more or less reiterated Oda's SBS answer saying his passion burns hotter but this is a really cool and more real explanation to Sanji's fire abilities.

If Judge's epithet is the Garuda, a bird or winged bird like deity, maybe there is more to that! Maybe Sora and Judge are distant ancestors of the Red Line God's and they aren't entirely aware. The Raid Suit can only be activated by Sanji himself surely, operating on a biological level and maybe it's accidentally or intentionally trying to get into Sanji's genes! Judge may have attempted one last go at Sanji's failures. Only it's not activating Judges awful experiments but something deeper and actually natural to their blood line!

Even though we've seen multiple characters throughout the story just combust one way or another Queen makes it seem like it's unusual and we get a hint that maybe Sanji is like King!

Judge the Garuda - Bird god thingy.
    Sora - means sky in Japanese right? It's water bird in America. A water bird like the Tsuru/Crane! Not too unlike a duck that Oda has assigned as Sanji's animal!

Then Sanji and all his allusions to being the devil! Lucifer the fallen ANGEL! From the heavens! Come on now!

Alien blood Sanji got a gene push and he may be very much like King! What if he grew black wings and then he could kick around massive fire soccer balls like the Pokemon Scorbunny!

Then best of all because of it Sanji discards the suit all together for some reason! A man can dream right?

The Pirate King even has the devil himself or another God(Usopp the 1st) in his ranks! It's only fair if you ask me!
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Other thing about Sanji feeling off... I really would love my theory that it has nothing to do with Judge and his DNA shit but that the fire powers come from Sora.

But if that's the case... Why is the suit reacting to it?
    The suit wouldn't be reacting to it. It would be triggering it.

Could be a special feature of the suit that it draws out your potential or forces the body to perform at 100%/more efficently.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Where are people getting it from that Zoro and Ryuma are related? Shimotsuki are Kunia’s ancestors not Zoro ancestors.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Quote Originally Posted by Sereques View Post
    Where are people getting it from that Zoro and Ryuma are related? Shimotsuki are Kunia’s ancestors not Zoro ancestors.
    On page 10, when Hyo and Kawamatsu are discussing the resemblance, Oda drew both living Ryuma and young Ushimaru looking like dead ringers for Zoro. That's kind of where it went from "he's just inheriting Ryuma's will" to "oh yeah, there's a direct connection" for me.

But then again, with the whole Kuina and Tashigi thing, completely coincidental (as far as we know) lookalikes are an established thing in Zoro's arc, so who knows.

Why doesn't Shinobu just rapid age Kaido to crippling old age again
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Not enough haki.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    On page 10, when Hyo and Kawamatsu are discussing the resemblance, Oda drew both living Ryuma and young Ushimaru looking like dead ringers for Zoro. That's kind of where it went from "he's just inheriting Ryuma's will" to "oh yeah, there's a direct connection" for me.

But then again, with the whole Kuina and Tashigi thing, completely coincidental (as far as we know) lookalikes are an established thing in Zoro's arc, so who knows.
    Most one piece fans on Twitter now believe Ryuma is Zoro’s forefather. Ridiculous.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sereques View Post
    Zoro and Ryuma look exactly alike. Ushimaru also looks like Ryuma and Zoro.

Zoro is mostly like related to Ryuma through his mother who was most likely a Shimotsuki.

Also Oda said in Wano there'd be some revelations about Zoro's family.

We've kinda known the Zoro and Ryuma thing since Thriller Bark though.
    Last edited by Zik; August 29th, 2021 at 11:42 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Same reason Law doesn't Room him to pieces or pull the heats from every enemy he meets.

His haki is too strong.

And now that we know CoC haki creates an actual physical barrier between the user and anything touching them, even more so.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Pretty good chapter. It had a nice flow from start to finish. These fights feel much more enjoyable than the ones we've gotten so far, I'd wager a result of good execution and knowing they're the last few left before the arc is over.

Not a fan of Sanji possibly awakening secret DNA or that the Raid Suit is enhancing him in some way, I'm hoping his flames stay ones of passion. Zoro having parallels to Ushimaru and Ryuma lands in the "I don't care" category; on one hand I prefer characters to be nobodies with no fancy connections, but it's not like this is taken out of nowhere and in a meta-sense I appreciate Ryuma living on through Zoro.

Momo's dragon form looks amazing. Volume 102 and/or 103 better do something cool with him, whether doing a homage to Dragon Ball's first cover or a cool dragon vs dragon vs rubber man scenario. And I guess that rips apart my idea that Momo might look more like Ryuma, but honestly it was to be expected.

More lore is fantastic, and tying it to King was a great way to make him feel more relevant. I have my complaints with how he's not done anything until now, but I still really like the guy. Izo and Marco interacting was also nice.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information