+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 252

Thread: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

  1. #201

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    I'm very curious about the F6 bounties as they'll give us a better idea of the SH bounty increases.

    Jinbe in particular, I don't expect a huge bump at all
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

  2. #202

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    I'm very curious about the F6 bounties as they'll give us a better idea of the SH bounty increases.

    Jinbe in particular, I don't expect a huge bump at all
    Nah, he's definitely getting a significant raise.

    A former warlord, after the abolishing of the system, joining the new emperor and playing an integral role in taking down another one.

    That's a dangerous individual in any sense. Peace Maine or real pirate
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  3. #203

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Nah, he's definitely getting a significant raise.

    A former warlord, after the abolishing of the system, joining the new emperor and playing an integral role in taking down another one.

    That's a dangerous individual in any sense. Peace Maine or real pirate
    He was allied with Big Mom for around 2 years now. Him being directly affiliated with Luffy will be biggest reason for increase as I expect massive manhunt to start after this arc. Strawhats are on express highway to be new Yonko caliber enemies to Marines and World Goverment.

    I wish that next arc we will move to Holy Land.. Vegapunk and Marejose lore galore would be amazing before culminative fights against Big Mom and after that with Blackbeard..

  4. #204

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    The worst part about bounties is that they go through the same inflation as powerlevels did in Dragon Ball. At first it is kinda neat, then they just explode into meaningless numbers once each new guy has to be 300.000 times the old guys number to get the gasp he's -insert villain- times 8!! reaction. TLDR i enjoyed it more when bounties were smaller

  5. #205

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    He was allied with Big Mom for around 2 years now. Him being directly affiliated with Luffy will be biggest reason for increase as I expect massive manhunt to start after this arc. Strawhats are on express highway to be new Yonko caliber enemies to Marines and World Goverment.

    I wish that next arc we will move to Holy Land.. Vegapunk and Marejose lore galore would be amazing before culminative fights against Big Mom and after that with Blackbeard..
    Agreed. We are due for a big lore dump.

    I expect after wano, the lowest bounty in the crew will be Luffy's highest in East Blue. So a 100M

    Jinbei will definitely get just as big a bounty increase. Especially if you consider his influence as a former captain and FishMan Island royal connections.

    The Govt should really want him dead or captured pronto.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  6. #206

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Between Fukurokuju, Hawkins, Lord Orochi and Apoo, I see Fukurokuju going down first. Not too much setup for Apoo vs Drake yet, so I expect that once the Sanji and Zoro fights lose a lil more attention and become part of the background for a while because they end after.

  7. #207

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    The worst part about bounties is that they go through the same inflation as powerlevels did in Dragon Ball. At first it is kinda neat, then they just explode into meaningless numbers once each new guy has to be 300.000 times the old guys number to get the gasp he's -insert villain- times 8!! reaction. TLDR i enjoyed it more when bounties were smaller
    But that was going to happen sooner or later. From the day the crew entered the New World, it was a given we were going to see some ridiculous numbers. Though I wouldn't exactly say bounties are a way to measure how much of a threat someone is. I mean, we have Chopper with that ridiculous small number because the Marine think he's the mascot of the crew. If only they knew...
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

  8. #208

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    The worst part about bounties is that they go through the same inflation as powerlevels did in Dragon Ball. At first it is kinda neat, then they just explode into meaningless numbers once each new guy has to be 300.000 times the old guys number to get the gasp he's -insert villain- times 8!! reaction. TLDR i enjoyed it more when bounties were smaller
    Yeah, like when you hear how high the emperor's bounties are and you know no one is going to go claim that bounty. It becomes meaningless.

    It would have been interesting if the Warlords had also been bounty hunters. You keep the same system but make it bigger.

    Like, it would have been interesting to know that the higher The Straw Hat's bounty became, the more likely we would see a clash between them and someone like Mihawk.

    Also, we should have seen Kidd taken out in Sabaody at Marineford and establish that having a high bounty is not just about increasing power level.(You could have included Duval's crew and other slave traders in this. Taking Kidd as an easy bounty) But it actually makes your life incredibly difficulty.

    Heck, you could even establish that the Marines exclusively go after high bounties that aren't part of the system.

    So once it gets to a certain point, there is a high probability that an Admiral will come calling.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  9. #209

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    The worst part about bounties is that they go through the same inflation as powerlevels did in Dragon Ball. At first it is kinda neat, then they just explode into meaningless numbers once each new guy has to be 300.000 times the old guys number to get the gasp he's -insert villain- times 8!! reaction. TLDR i enjoyed it more when bounties were smaller
    After all this is a world where if you just blow up the Supreme Court or go around murdering civilians you earn a reputation of "noteworthy rookie" with a noteworthy bounty, but hanging around on a fancy ship occasionally beating some strong guy, that's what make you worth billions capturing.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

  10. #210

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    The worst part about bounties is that they go through the same inflation as powerlevels did in Dragon Ball. At first it is kinda neat, then they just explode into meaningless numbers once each new guy has to be 300.000 times the old guys number to get the gasp he's -insert villain- times 8!! reaction. TLDR i enjoyed it more when bounties were smaller
    The thing is, unlike DBZ power levels, it never ended up as the kind of thing where say, someone with a 500 million bounty couldn't even dare to dream of beating someone with a 1b bounty, or like how Sanji and Zoro are setup to beat Queen and King despite both of them presumably (since we don't know King's yet) bounties that are 1 billion higher than theirs are. They were never strict power level indicators, especially for the protagonists and their allies. The Admirals don't even have bounties, yet they can fight against the Yonko


    I get what you're saying, seeing that it can go up to the billions takes some luster off of it, but overall the bounty system is still the best power level indicator I've personally experienced. The inflation of it all hasn't really disturbed/ruined what makes it work so well in the first place.

  11. #211

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    The thing is, unlike DBZ power levels, it never ended up as the kind of thing where say, someone with a 500 million bounty couldn't even dare to dream of beating someone with a 1b bounty, or like how Sanji and Zoro are setup to beat Queen and King despite both of them presumably (since we don't know King's yet) bounties that are 1 billion higher than theirs are. They were never strict power level indicators, especially for the protagonists and their allies. The Admirals don't even have bounties, yet they can fight against the Yonko


    I get what you're saying, seeing that it can go up to the billions takes some luster off of it, but overall the bounty system is still the best power level indicator I've personally experienced. The inflation of it all hasn't really disturbed/ruined what makes it work so well in the first place.
    Lets be honest here.
    This is the exact reason Oda made sure that Luffy's bounty was over one billion.

    TO make it believable for Luffy to beat Emperors like Kaidou.

    Even now we can't use the Straw hat's as a benchmarj because as readers, Oda knows that we know that Zoro and Sanji are at that billion power level.

    In contrast, it would be ridiculous for pekoms the 500 mil guy to beat Queen the 1 billion guy
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  12. #212

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Lets be honest here.
    This is the exact reason Oda made sure that Luffy's bounty was over one billion.

    TO make it believable for Luffy to beat Emperors like Kaidou.

    Even now we can't use the Straw hat's as a benchmarj because as readers, Oda knows that we know that Zoro and Sanji are at that billion power level.

    In contrast, it would be ridiculous for pekoms the 500 mil guy to beat Queen the 1 billion guy
    Your logic doesn't make much sense, because no one forced Oda to give Luffy or the Yonko the bounties they have. Even in a post-Katakuri world, the fandom assumed the highest bounties would reach like 2-3b max.

    And I disagree that the bounties are very relevant in getting people to believe Luffy could beat Kaido, especially when Oda decided to make Kaido's bounty over 3x higher. Dunno why that would be a notable factor in me buying Luffy's defeat of Kaido when it's that much higher. The only thing that actually matters is Luffy's actual combat skill, which we saw with his defeat of two Yonko Commanders, as well as the training he did, etc. And even then you still had to throw in Luffy having at least 3 attempts to beat Kaido, the Scabbards, Supernova, Yamato, etc. Luffy's bounty is the last thing I'm thinking about here.

    As for your Pekoms example, it doesn't really work either because it's more a portrayal issue than anything else. Sulong Neko and Inu could believably beat a Yonko Commander despite not having a known high bounty. So could Sabo, who we've seen clash against Admirals. So could Mihawk given the hype he's been given. And so on. And all those characters I've mentioned are not protagonists, and as far as we know have bounties that are lower, frozen, or straight up don't exist.

  13. #213

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Your logic doesn't make much sense, because no one forced Oda to give Luffy or the Yonko the bounties they have. Even in a post-Katakuri world, the fandom assumed the highest bounties would reach like 2-3b max.

    And I disagree that the bounties are very relevant in getting people to believe Luffy could beat Kaido, especially when Oda decided to make Kaido's bounty over 3x higher. Dunno why that would be a notable factor in me buying Luffy's defeat of Kaido when it's that much higher. The only thing that actually matters is Luffy's actual combat skill, which we saw with his defeat of two Yonko Commanders, as well as the training he did, etc. And even then you still had to throw in Luffy having at least 3 attempts to beat Kaido, the Scabbards, Supernova, Yamato, etc. Luffy's bounty is the last thing I'm thinking about here.

    As for your Pekoms example, it doesn't really work either because it's more a portrayal issue than anything else. Sulong Neko and Inu could believably beat a Yonko Commander despite not having a known high bounty. So could Sabo, who we've seen clash against Admirals. So could Mihawk given the hype he's been given. And so on. And all those characters I've mentioned are not protagonists, and as far as we know have bounties that are lower, frozen, or straight up don't exist.
    To me its seems like a hierachy thing. The guy with highest bounty beats the other guy with other highest bounty.

    Thats why we literally have the SH with the second highest bounty, fighting the Beast pirate with the second highest bounty.

    Heck, even Zoro says it himself. There is no "concrete reason" for Zoro to be fighting King, because he is not even a swordsman.

    From a story perspective, there is absolutely no reason that Sanji should not be the one fighting king.

    But because Bounties are power levels, we have match ups based on power levels.

    Additionally, while it might not be important for you for a 500 million Luffy beating a 3 billion kaidou. More people do care.

    Also remember, Oda made the really Oda(and I am still not sure if it was a mistranslation) OF Luffy literally stating that he sensed Caribou was worth Millions.(Or something like that, its still fucking weird to this day)
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  14. #214

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    The worst part about bounties is that they go through the same inflation as powerlevels did in Dragon Ball. At first it is kinda neat, then they just explode into meaningless numbers once each new guy has to be 300.000 times the old guys number to get the gasp he's -insert villain- times 8!! reaction. TLDR i enjoyed it more when bounties were smaller
    I don't really agree. The whole bounties levelling was pretty flow up until the end of the first half, when the higher known still was Doflamingo's 340.000.000 since Jaya arc.
    We can even actually desume which grade of calamity this or that character is: Luffy needed to take down World Government's Justice Island Enies Lobby to reach 300.000.000. It was clear already Doflamingo had to do something terrible to achieve that numbers (as we'd soon discovered, he actually did a lot of thing.) as much as Moriah (clashing with an Emperor).

    Luffy had to team up with Rayleigh and Jinbe and intrude Marineford to reach 400 millions.

    Above the 500.000.000 it is Yonko crew territory as Ace (550), people who actually did a mess worldwide, as Sabo (602) and pirates that had plenty of time to grow their value, as Chinjao (542).

    I guess here's the explosion you're talking about: Yonko's top commander going from 700 (Peros) to above 1 billion. But we talk about pirates messing around since twenty years and more, and looking to how Luffy grew his own so fast, it isn't really astonishing. I can easily figure each of them clashing with Admirals (see Marco), taking down whole cities or even kingdoms (look at Calamities' epithet: they're clearly not pacific) just in order to retrieve some gold or food (Big Mom's method are clear on it). Maybe there've been wars as Edd or others which actually involved citizens or World Government. The same is applied to Yonkos, but after the way Curly Pirates actually got an rise after Dressrosa just "cause they're part of the crew" I can actually depict captains getting rise even for their crew's action. I mean: if Katakuri burn down an island, I expect Big Mom to rise her bounty too.

    There's clearly a proportional grow of bounties (Arlong's 20> Crocodile's 81 > Moriah's 320) but the 300-399 has been such a limit to break through (Caesar's 300, Doffy's 340) that we actually got a hard time to go after and the numbers exploded. I think we could've get a more proper scale with Warlord's real bounties, but here we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

  15. #215

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    To me its seems like a hierachy thing. The guy with highest bounty beats the other guy with other highest bounty.

    Thats why we literally have the SH with the second highest bounty, fighting the Beast pirate with the second highest bounty.

    Heck, even Zoro says it himself. There is no "concrete reason" for Zoro to be fighting King, because he is not even a swordsman.

    From a story perspective, there is absolutely no reason that Sanji should not be the one fighting king.

    But because Bounties are power levels, we have match ups based on power levels.

    Additionally, while it might not be important for you for a 500 million Luffy beating a 3 billion kaidou. More people do care.

    Also remember, Oda made the really Oda(and I am still not sure if it was a mistranslation) OF Luffy literally stating that he sensed Caribou was worth Millions.(Or something like that, its still fucking weird to this day)
    The Sanji and Zoro thing is a specific trend that isn't even strictly tied down to bounties, the most obvious example being their Enies Lobby fights. Not to mention Sanji actually has the 2nd (3rd highest actually, don't forget Jinbe) highest bounty anyhow.

    And I didn't say no one would care about the bounty Luffy has before beating Kaido, just out of all the things to justify Kaido's defeat, Luffy's bounty is pretty much at the bottom. Even in a world where the bounties were less inflated to your liking, Kaido would still have the highest difference in bounty yet compared to Luffy's.

    Overall the bounty system is a lot more flexible than you're making it out to be, and isn't the end-be-all as we've witnessed multiple times throughout the years. I've given you several examples of non-protagonist characters with lower bounties than King and Queen that the fandom could picture believably defeating them. Like yea bounties help depict a character's power level, but in pretty much most ideal way possible as opposed to how something like that DBZ does it.





    .

  16. #216

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Oda sits crying at his desk, unable to rationalize how someone with only 500 million beri-douriki-nen can defeat someone with over 1 billion beri-douriki-nen. He calls his editor to cancel One Piece before walking into the ocean, never to be seen again.

  17. #217

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    it would be funny if the wano citizens claimed the animal kingdom pirates bounties once they are defeated :-)

  18. #218

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Warlord bounties were frozen, they are also not a good indicator of their overall strenghth. When Jinbe quit being a warlord, his bounty was 250M, and after that and the incident at Marineford, it went up to over 400M. Meanwhile we have Blackbeard, who had no bounty at all, yet anyone could tell he was nothing to sneeze at.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

  19. #219

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    It'll be what it is. Remember that Ryuma's genes weren't enough to keep Kuina from dying as mundane a death as falling down the stairs, and didn't propel her father to any grander ambition than making an honest living running a dojo either (give or take some Revolutionary Army support on the side). People in the story are going to say it feels like "destiny" or some such like they always do, but on a purely mechanical level, all it's doing so far is providing Oda a way to draw parallels with the greats of past generations. Zoro's still had to work for what he's got.
    That seem a bit flat. Our rag tag group of nobodies determined to turn the world upside down are actually important people preordained to do so. I reckon Nami grandparents are also navigators that worked for joy boy :(
    Anyways, One Piece is still a great manga.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

  20. #220
    BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    My Chunk of Italy

    Default Re: Chapter 1,023: Spitting Image

    The flipside to that is that not one of them has shown that they didn't train or work their asses off to get where they are. If they hadn't, then all of this would be even more unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.



+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts