+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,022: The Stars Take the Stage

Default Re: Chapter 1022: The stars take the stage

Damn great chapter! I'm really looking forward to both of these fights!
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Default Re: Chapter 1022: The stars take the stage

Guess that's that for the Tobi Roppos. Glad we went out on a high note with Robin's big fight.

And I'm really xcited that Zoro fighting King happened in the end, and might even be a 2v2 with Sanji? Guess we'll see.

Initially I was totally against the idea of Zoro fighting King at first after all that happened up on Roof Piece, it didn't make any sense whatsoever given his injuries. But the medicine, even if it's a justification not everyone will like, absolutely helps justify it, better that than him just fighting King without it. And I have to admit that Zoro just sitting out the rest of the war that early (relatively speaking) would have felt really weird in the long run.

So yea, the specifics of the execution aside, I'm all for Zoro beating King.

Default Re: Chapter 1022: The Stars Take the Stage

Since the Tobi Roppo are out for good, and Zoro and Sanji gave King and Queen a direct hit, I expect a post to the effect of “MUH TENSION!” in 3…2…1…

Seeing Sanji and Zoro working together is always fantastic. Getting a glimpse of Luffy as King of the Pirates is honestly so exciting. I’m assuming after all the fights are over minus the fight with Kaido, we will see adult Momo finally.
    Candidate for worst username.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey D. Luffy Fan View Post
    Seeing Sanji and Zoro working together is always fantastic. Getting a glimpse of Luffy as King of the Pirates is honestly so exciting. I’m assuming after all the fights are over minus the fight with Kaido, we will see adult Momo finally.
    Oda should just do a callback to suddenly seeing Kaido in his full dragon form, where out of nowhere Momo just pulls up to Kaido in his own dragon form lol

Default Re: Chapter 1,022: The Stars Take the Stage

Those will be the longest 15 minutes on manga history.

It was obvious that Zoro would fight King and Sanji would fight Queen from the moment we saw them

Loved this chapter so much. I feared early in the raid that it might not actually happen but having Zoro & Sanji face King & Queen on their own got me hyped.

If it remains a 2vs2 until the end even better. That would be more interesting than another Zoro vs #2 and Sanji vs #3 arc. To defeat King in particular, some combination of Sanji's flying ability and Zoro long-range attacks can be nice to see.

As I said in the spoiler thread, I would also love if that battle is the occasion of showing the 2 wings awaken their CoC haki. I know that Zoro is already supposed to have it but what I mean is a conscient use of it with all the cool effects and all + people fainting. Including the zooming effect on their eyes (which would look great since their eyes are "mirrored").

I hope that fight lasts a while with some good back-and-forth. Across 4-5 chapters would be nice.

I'm now wondering about the role for the rest of the crew not in the main area. All that's really left to keep them occupied is to defeat the missing 4 Numbers I guess. Assuming there are a bigger threat than the others. Or maybe something will have to be done to delay the island fall (like how the birdcage was slowed down in Dressrosa) and they will be part of that.

Apoo and Drake are MIA and we still don't know where Izo, Kappa and Denjiro are. Izo and Kappa were supposed to go with Sanji into the main area not too long ago. Strange... Denjiro being with Hiyori seems like a safe bet.

I still want to see Jinbe interact with Jack because I believe there's something to explore with Jack seemingly being ashamed of his fishman origin. Not expecting Inu to lose though.

One random thing I thought of is that we may see Momo as a giant dragon next and we'll be lead to believe he grew up thanks to Shinobu's ability but we'll see him revert back to his child self and get a flashback showing that he didn't need to age himself to grow in his dragon form.

There was quite a lot in a single chapter. Almost all the remaining fights had a dedicated page.
    The suspense of Zoro recovery was a bit overkill but at least we have a nice double page. I really hope this fight can surpass the groggy ring one which is among my favorite.

I'm not sure Oda will continue with this fight immediatly. He may want to keep it for the end and solve the other ones. Once again he hinted about King race so will it have an importance now or later ?

Also we have the start of the timer but 15 minutes sounds awefully short

Even after this chapter, I still feel the Tobiroppo are getting up. This won't be a prediction that I'll fight over (unlike the Big Mom Pirates arriving), since maybe the SHs that fight now won't have their own fights in Act 4, but I still find the way the Tobiroppo were defeated kinda suspicious. We never got that post-battle moment to show their status and their opponents that usually follows a main match. Also, even the pictures in this chapter leave me suspicious: Who's Who and Sasaki are still in their hybrid forms, as if clinging to consciousness, and Black Maria seems like a emotionless doll rather than a passed-out person. I may be imagining things here, letting my bias overcome my senses, but that's what I feel.

Now, for Sanji & Zoro vs. Queen & King, I'm hoping it's a true 2v2 fight rather than two 1v1s. I'd love to see banter from both sides and opponent swapping before we settle for the final stretch of the battle. Lots of opportunity for Sanji and Zoro to learn tricks from one another, as well as having combo attacks from both sides. It seems we are in for this fight the rest of the volume, which probably ends in 1025. So the fight could go as this:

1,023: Phase 1 of the fight, lots of banter, combo attacks and DON moments.
    1,024: Phase 2 of the fight. This is the "villains turn", when the heroes are in for a real struggle. Opponent swapping: Zoro vs. Queen, Sanji vs. King for a brief moment, then settling in Zoro vs. King and Sanji vs. King.
    1,025: Final phase. Zoro and Sanjo bring their best moves to end their opponents.

The problem with this is... What about Act 4? Will Zoro and Sanji (or at least Zoro, because he's already all broken inside) don't get fights there? Will they move on to the Yonko? Or will this fight actually be delayed for Act 4 instead and not happen as I imagine above?

Anyway, Neko vs. Perospero is the key to find out if there's an Act 4 or not. I feel Act 4 is intrinsically connected to Big Mom's plans, and it will start with her children arriving. I want to see what Perospero will do when cornered by Nekomamushi. If Neko defeats Perospero in a very definitive way, I may let go of that prediction, but I don't think that's what will happen.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

"I wait for you, Luffy!" blackness662's Avatar

The chapter was pretty good and I really liked the final double page with Zoro and Sanji.
    Can't wait for next week! :)

Thinking about it, it's not like defeating Kaido at the 14:59 mark is the solution for saving the capital since wouldn't the island fall as soon as Kaido is unconscious ? The situation seems a bit different than any other with time limits we had in the past.

I'm doubting that the time limit was written by Oda to say exactly how long the remaining fights will last.

It looks more like something to keep the others busy while the big fights happens like the bomb plot in Alabasta.

I know that Momo mastering the cloud creation power he has to save the island is a popular theory but I think we're missing something to figure out Oda's plan.

It’s not 15 minutes to defeat Kaido.
    It’s 15 minutes for Momo to arrive and hold Onigashima in the air. Then the real Kaido fight may begin.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

The sound effect when big garfield beats up Peros is just the best. Gets across just how hard that sweet sex criminal just got smacked. Hopefully he'll be the focus of the next chapter and they'll hold off on the S and Z fireworks until Luffy and Momo have really begun sky battling Dado

Quote Originally Posted by fana View Post
    I still want to see Jinbe interact with Jack because I believe there's something to explore with Jack seemingly being ashamed of his fishman origin. Not expecting Inu to lose though.
    I think Raizo's speech about the scabbards and their motives is curious, especially the panels Oda used to enhance it.

Kinemon / Kawamatsu ("It was not his order to us, not a mere duty")
    The scabbards who took care of Oden's children, Momonosuke and Hyori, unrequested

Catviper / Denjiro ("each of us chose to follow our emotions")
    The hothead Duke and the man consumed by rage

Izou ("and carry out this mission of our own free will")
    The scabbard who abandoned Wano, but came back to defend it out of his own volition

and finally

Dogstorm / Ashura ("If we must die to accomplish that, so be it")
    One currently lies in his own blood after throwing himself onto a living bomb, while the other. Yeah, how does Dogstorm fit in there?

Maybe Oda didn't know where to place him to visually enhance the dialogue... or it forshadows Dogstorm losing / "dying" / sacrificing himself against Jacku.
    _________

I'm also rooting for Peros here! Fight me!

Edit 2: And also Hawkins! I never understood this weird fixation on Killer. At least Hawky looks fancy, even if he didn't get much Supernova-love from Oda.
    Last edited by Jabra; August 22nd, 2021 at 11:27 AM.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Sanji spacate sent me to gigglyland. He could lipsync in any episode of RPDR anytime.

Transitional chapter dedicated to remind us of what's next, so there's not much to talk about. I just have 03 wishes: (I) the fights should end in the reverse order they were introduced this chapter; (II) that Hawkins SOMEHOW pose as a threat and not just a defenceless pincushion; (III) that Marco's role isn't over - I DEMAND a hybrid form, do with that what you may, Oda-sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    I'm also rooting for Peros here! Fight me!
    I have heard about this, lonely women taking an interest in felons, out of misplaced pity or other such noble notions. But make no mistake the candy man deserves a short fall with a quick stop

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    Transitional chapter dedicated to remind us of what's next, so there's not much to talk about. I just have 03 wishes: (I) the fights should end in the reverse order they were introduced this chapter; (II) that Hawkins SOMEHOW pose as a threat and not just a defenceless pincushion; (III) that Marco's role isn't over - I DEMAND a hybrid form, do with that what you may, Oda-sama.
    My top 3 wishes at this point (several were already granted, like Robin & Jinbe focused chapters):

1. Sanji getting a good fight, no bullshitting this time. I would rather have him fight Queen seperately, but I'm open to this tag team as well.

2. The Big Mom Pirates doing something. Anything. Or maybe just Smoothie.

3. Nami's role in this war being salvaged, if that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood
    I have heard about this, lonely women taking an interest in felons, out of misplaced pity or other such noble notions. But make no mistake the candy man deserves a short fall with a quick stop
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Jabra; August 22nd, 2021 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Btw, I just googled that picture! It's not like I had it saved on my hard drive or so...!

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

I like how Peros claims things would have gone fine if Sanji had "married" Pudding, despite the fact the party was a Red Wedding and Sanji was always going to die if that plan went through. Good for him to get a paw smack from my fave cat and slap him to the outside of Onigashima.

Sanji and Zoro vs King and Queen. Going to be fun with the dialogue of these four insulting one another.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information