+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,022: The Stars Take the Stage

Default Re: Chapter 1,022: The Stars Take the Stage

Daaaaang, Sanji kicked the SHIT out of Queen on the last page there. I can almost never figure out wtf is going on in manga fights and even I winced at that one. Please, Oda, actually draw clear panels for this fight without a bunch of background scribbles making it impossible to parse. I haven't been this excited about a teamup fight since Zoro & Usopp v. Kaku & Jabra.

Um...did these fights get the power scaling in reverse? Ulti got up after getting her insides nuked by lightning, after getting KOed by Yamamoto, and she seemed to know haki. While one would think Nami would fight the weaker member of this group, in the end it seems like Ulti had more endurance than all of them!

While all the Tobi Roppo fights had high points, in an arc with guys who keep getting up after getting knocked back down it seems kind of weak to get knocked down once and lose. The Tobi Roppo feel more pointless than other crews of the past. I don't feel like their defeat brings the protagonists closer to winning, as anyone above them could take their place. I'm hoping this isn't the end, as this is overall unsatisfying.

Not to say that Robin vs. Black Maria wasn't amazing, and yes, if anyone could knock out Who's Who it would be a man who could frankly be the top fighter on any Yonko crew already. I might just be left bitter with how badly Ulti turned out, much less PageOne.

I mean, what was the point of Page On exactly? If this is the end for this guy, then frankly it seems like his only purpose was to be a prop for Ulti. It's amazingly sad.

I'm glad i was proven wrong. Sanji vs Queen, Zoro vs King is gonna be an epic battle, though given the caliber of the enemy Zoro is facing, i wouldn't want to be him after Wano is all sad and done with all the injuries he's gonna need to recover from, that is probably going to be a brutal fight for him.
    That panel of King incinerating 1 of the gifters in his hand was scary and brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    2. The Big Mom Pirates doing something. Anything. Or maybe just Smoothie.

3. Nami's role in this war being salvaged, if that's possible.
    I think both are likely.

I'm counting on the BM Pirates arriving (or, more likely, being summoned via book powers), and the Straw Hats, at the very least the ones who didn't get their own fights, having to deal with them.

There's 5 BM Pirates in Wano that have been highlighted whenever Oda had the chance to show them: Perospero, Smoothie, Mont-D'or, Galette, and Daifuku. I feel they are the ones that will be fought. I'd say:
    - Jinbe vs Smoothie. I think Jinbe deserves a real challenge, and that match would be really interesting to see (water powers for both, personal matters due to him leaving Big Mom, while Smoothie is completely loyal)
    - Nami vs Galette. Thought maybe it's Nami vs more than one BM daughter, like Galette, Compotte and/or Amande (the last one hasn't been seen in Wano, however, at least in the manga). Zeus gave Nami enough firepower for her to be worthy a 1v2 or 1v3 fight.
    - Usopp vs Mont-D'or. I think this is a match made in heaven. Both use ranged weapons, and Mont-D'or's power is awesome for Usopp to develop his Observation. Plus, Mont-D'or lowerr bounty hints at his threat level being manageable by Usopp.
    - Chopper vs either Perospero or Daifuku. I feel Daifuku is more on Chopper's level, especially if he can't use Monster again for now. Perospero may be meant to by Carrot and the minks, but who knows. Chopper being her "big bro" may lead to him having to avenge Pedro as well.

Some other BM Pirates may have minor roles, but I doubt they'll be in main matches. I expect Flampe to have an humiliating defeat at Usopp's hands somehow, lol.

(I left Brook out because I'm sure he will fight Apoo somehow. I expect Apoo to escape Drake, and the later end up dealing with CP-0 and Who's Who in a 3-way battle that reveals a lot about their respective secret agencies.)

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon Panthera View Post
    I like how Peros claims things would have gone fine if Sanji had "married" Pudding, despite the fact the party was a Red Wedding and Sanji was always going to die if that plan went through. Good for him to get a paw smack from my fave cat and slap him to the outside of Onigashima.
    He's just seeing things from the BM Pirates' perspective. He know they would have murdered Sanji and all the Vinsmokes, he's only complaining because Sanji's rebelion made everything harder for them, culminating with the Emperors alliance that he hates so much.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    I'm glad i was proven wrong. Sanji vs Queen, Zoro vs King is gonna be an epic battle, though given the caliber of the enemy Zoro is facing, i wouldn't want to be him after Wano is all sad and done with all the injuries he's gonna need to recover from, that is probably going to be a brutal fight for him.
    That panel of King incinerating 1 of the gifters in his hand was scary and brutal.
    If next arc is what I believe it is (see sig), Zoro being left out so other characters (like Robin and Jinbe) get the focus would make some sense.
    Last edited by Deicide; August 22nd, 2021 at 01:38 PM.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Remember when people thought Sunker would struggle against Pay Pay? Good times lol

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

I agree with the overall feeling of disappointment with the Tobiroppo as a group.
    It saddens me that Sasaki had such a small role being one of the best designs in the group.
    Ulti shined more in comparison to her partners than by her own feats, I’d love if Oda developed her fighting skills further somehow.
    P1 did absolutely nothing, either as a character or a fighter. Really hoping he somehow wakes up and get a quick-5-pages clash before we wrap it up.
    Who’sWho was the most fleshed out I guess. We got a bit of backstory, some fighting techniques, lore drops and even discovered that he is kinda racist toward fishman. The only lingering thing is his face. I thought that his defeat panel would show us a torned mask and Jimbe would make a zappy remark about it since the topic was the meat of their taunting before fighting. Nitpicking, I admit.
    Black Maria was the best antagonist - she drove Robin to her limits both mentally and physically. I can’t ask anything else from her...maybe some explanation of her illusion mist and how it works, but only if I must.
    Drake...has been on the sideline for a while now. Together with Apoo. Hope they both turn it up and then some. Supernovas clash are supposed to be something wild, right?

and, uhm, did Oda always had those Lore Droppers mid-battle and I’ve just never noticed them before? Who’sWho and now Marco casually talking about worldbuilding points mid throwing fists stuck out this arc, and I can’t remember more exemples form previous arcs.

If Usopp X Flampe really end up happening I’d lol HARD because his fame as loli chaser would skyrocket. The same way I always flash a grin when someone mentions Mihawks’s fame as a n00b hunter lol

There's some Saiyan blood in Zoro is it?

Also, the more I read Zolo, the more I despise it. What the hell. Does his name sound dumb. Especially when his first name is still Roronoa. Why not Lorenor? Stick with your shit through and through.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    There's some Saiyan blood in Zoro is it?

Also, the more I read Zolo, the more I despise it. What the hell. Does his name sound dumb. Especially when his first name is still Roronoa. Why not Lorenor? Stick with your shit through and through.
    His first name is Zoro just like Luffy's first name isn't Monkey, Sanji's isn't Vinsmoke, Chopper's isn't Tony Tony, Robin's isn't Nico. Also why would it be Lorenor that from what I know only the German translation came up with, which also renamed Luffy to Ruffy and Usopp to Lysop.

I think Lolonoa was what the Swedish trans went with.

Which i kinda liked tbh, sounds like a French pirate name or something

His second name then, I will never not get confused by that. And you said it too, Zoro. Point was, his name got changed for the worse.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

So does Marco go to the roof now or not ?

His second name then, I will never not get confused by that. And you said it too, Zoro. Point was, his name got changed for the worse.
    The official English release using Zolo is a relic of copyright issues they wanted to avoid and when they could've transitioned to Zoro they kept it for consistency's sake

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Remember when people thought Sunker would struggle against Pay Pay? Good times lol
    It's wild that people were seriously trying to argue that Sanji was the one that looked bad in that fight, despite it just being a test run for the raid suit. Now we're here where Sanji is continuing to fight Queen without it, and even briefly clashed against Queen and King off screen.

The minute we saw how the brief clash with Pay Pay went, if was obvious he was being setup for a Calamity fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    The official English release using Zolo is a relic of copyright issues they wanted to avoid and when they could've transitioned to Zoro they kept it for consistency's sake
    I know this guy for 22 years now. I will keep my own Zoro consistency :P

I'm realizing one thing I really liked about this chapter is watching Zoro (and to a lesser extent, Sanji) feeling hyped about making Luffy pirate king before fighting King.

Because for Zoro, fighting strong swordsmen is a big deal. Whenever he is about to fight one, he says something about how he is excited to test his skills or get stronger. To see him thinking about Luffy's dream first and mentioning that intead of his dream shows how he has progressed a lot from the original Zoro who said he'd cut Luffy down if the later got in the way of the former's dream.

Yeah sure strawhats have been saying they will make Luffy PK left and right since post-TS (and a lot more in Wano), but not to this extent. And Sanji is another character who doesn't begin fights with that remark either, normally he acts more cool or aloof.

The strawhat crew is now completely focused on the main goal of getting to the One Piece. They are not just the Man who will be PK and his crewmates who have their own dreams, they are the Crew that will be Pirate Kings. No one can stop them now. Kaido and BM don't stand a chance.

Especially when his first name is still Roronoa. Why not Lorenor? Stick with your shit through and through.
    There's plenty of good reasons to be mad about Zolo but too many people say this even thought it's idiot logic. One L/R sound was interpreted as an L therefore they all have to be? I sure hope people who call him Zoro also call the main character Ruffy, just so they're consistent with their shit, right?

I hope we get a Marco and Sanji aerial team up battle next arc

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Why does everyone want a piece of brother Peros? He did nothing wrong, man... Pedro exploded himself, its not like Peros strapped a bomb on Pedro and triggered it!

Oh, and the Tobiroppo are donezo I think.

Well an intermission chapter to be sure, thankfully no break this week!
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Everyone complains about Zolo but no one EVER complains about Jinbe/Jimbei, and that's two letters different!

The reasons are copyright reasons with the masked bandit Zorro.

It wasn't Viz's choice or decision, they had it as Zoro initially, but the decision went across all One Piece media at the time including the anime, video games and merchandise.

By the time the edict was lifted a few years later when Funimation picked up the anime license they already had it as Zolo for years and dozens of volumes and it was too much to change.

Similarly, some old naming choices are left as-is for consistency.
    Last edited by Robby; August 22nd, 2021 at 05:04 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I think Lolonoa was what the Swedish trans went with.

Which i kinda liked tbh, sounds like a French pirate name or something
    Which is where it's from if I remember correctly, right? His name is a japanezation of François "L'Olonnais", a french pirate

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information