7 9.59%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will Momo do it?

Default Will Momo do it?

Default Re: Will Momo do it?

Adult Momo will fight Orochi

Assuming this is just about taking the transformation into adulthood, I'm surprised that "no!" is winning (at least at the time I voted). I'm gonna repeat some thoughts from the chapter thread.

This has been theorised as a real possibility as early as the first reveal of Shinobu's power, and I personally remember seeing a crackpot theory about it that relied on Bonney long before Wano. So it's been an idea floating around for a while.

I've said a few times in previous chapter discussions that the biggest unknown left in the battle was how to stop the Onigashima colony drop on the capital. No one currently present has the power to lift or stop that much mass, short of tinfoil theories like Luffy's awakening turning the whole city to rubber so the island bounces off (lol). A surprise Zunesha appearance was really the only reasonable answer. Until this. Oda's not aging up Momo so he can fight Kaido and steal the win from Luffy (literally when has a local side character ever), he's doing it to turn the piddly little dragon into a full-size adult one that can generate enough flame clouds to lift the island and move it himself. It's so obviously the answer we've been waiting for to the biggest ticking clock of the arc.

It also makes a whole lot of thematic sense on different levels. The loss of innocence Momo suffered when Kaido attacked is made manifest. The need for him to grow up and be a leader is taken literally. The 20 years of suffering for the locals that the time-jumping squad didn't have to endure are made up for all at once. Remember how that was a big deal in getting Ashura Doji back on board with the Scabbards? The parallels and contrasts to Oden, who both acted like an adult when he was a child and joyfully shirked his responsibilities like a big kid when he was an adult. It fits really well with everything else Oda's set up during Wano.

It's a genuine sacrifice for a major character, an important thematic balancing of the scales, the answer to the big Onigashima problem, and likely part of the solution to who leads Wano when the battle is done. I can't say for sure if Oda will follow through on it or not, but my immediate reaction is that it would fit in place perfectly as something he's been working toward.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Definitely happening.

Either next time we see Momo or when Kaido loses and the island begins to fall where Shinobu will have no choice unless she's cool with ppl in the capital dying.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I don’t understand why Oda would end a chapter on such a dramatic cliffhanger only to go “no never mind that’s silly” the next chapter

Why bring it up at all if your just going to do that, to what show momo’s resolve and use the ability later? Seems like a stretch

I’m going with Momo goes through with it

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I don’t understand why Oda would end a chapter on such a dramatic cliffhanger only to go “no never mind that’s silly” the next chapter
    You mean like Big Mom falling over?

Yeah, its absolutely going to happen. Maybe not right this second because Shinobu wants to preserve Momo, but when the island starts to fall and there's no other choice, for sure.

You don't put a chekov's gun power like that out there three years earlier, and then explicitly set it up now, only to not then use it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Next we need is Moria to take some of samurai shadows and borrow them to Momo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Itīs gonna happen.

https://imgur.com/MyjRSWw

We probably going to see a malnourished grown up Momo...
    Shinobu's power seems to mature things naturally, since the earth she matured so far always decayed...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Yes, makes total sense it will happen, although im sure Oda will throw a curveball and make him an old man or smthng.

Like Shinobu may have no power on how ripe stuff gets and he ends up becoming an ancient dragon.... Only for Bonney to show up in the aftermath and bring him back

No, unless they find a way to reverse the process.

I could have seen it when it was just Shinobu and Momo back in the attic, but not after Luffy told him to man up and fly him to Onigashima. It would feel like Luffy nudged an 8-year old into sacrificing a decade or more of it's lifespan, and I just can't imagine Oda going for that. I don't even know how Luffy himself would react to it.

"Wow cool Momo, throwing your childhood away was exactly what I had in mind when I told you to be a man! Let's goooo!"

And no, this is not comparable to Luffy encouraging others (like Coby) to pursue their dreams despite the dangers involved. It's nudging a child into a ridiculous sacrifice for the gain of someone else.

_________

So I can see two outcomes:

1. Momo ages up, but for one reason or another the effects won't last forever, he reverts back to an 8-year old when everything is over. He has an artificial legendary Dragon Zoan after all, if someone would tell me that it grants powerful regeneration (or even low key immortality) I would buy it, effectively reverting the Mature Mature effect after a while.

2. Just when they're about to go through with it, Luffy interrupts them, followed by an encouraging speech. The message being that Momo is fine and capable as he is, that courage and determination aren't bound to physical maturity.

____

I would like to go with 2., please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    It's nudging a child into a ridiculous sacrifice for the gain of someone else.
    Momo's already lost his childhood and been through countless tragedies. He's already emotionally lost that period. He's constantly regretted being weak and begging others for help. He's been practicing the sword and wants to do something, anything.

This is something he wants and needs to do for this battle, its his call, Luffy isn't forcing it on him. It's in line with other sacrifices in the series. Luffy gave up ten years to NOT save Ace. Zoro is about to cripple himself so he can fight for an extra 15 minutes. Shanks gave up an arm and Zeff gave up a leg. How many people are fighting and DYING (if we pretend this isn't One Piece) right now that get hurt more for every moment he hesitates to help Luffy get back to things to take out Kaidou?

If Momo doesn't do it, and the battle rages for another 20 hours and the island crashes and kills thousands of civilians, and Kinemmon dies from bloodloss, and the other scabbards don't get doctor's attention, is that Momo's fault for not helping end the fighting sooner by doing EVERYTHING he can?

Yeah, he's younger physically than others that have made these choices, but its still his choice to make. As it stands, he can't do *anything* to help, but with a sacrifice *he* chooses to make, he can do a lot to help. Right this second its to help Luffy get back up, but the potential is also there for him to give Kaidou Oden PSD, get in a final hit, or help keep the island from crashing, among other possibilities.

He's not giving up year of his life JUST to fly Luffy for 2 minutes, he's doing it to then be able to do anything other than run and depend on bodyguards after he gets back.

Even that aside, as the guy that will be *ruling a kingdom* a few hours from now, he has to grow up fast. His childhood is done no matter what anyway, he wasn't about to earn 10 years of frollicing in a field. He deserves it sure, but that's not what he's been working towards.

He also needs to make everyone respect him that was mocking him and be a figure that can pull the nation out of this hell. And he just... can't do that as an 8 year old. You can't just go "well now he's ruler, but uh... Kinemon is regent for the next 10 years."

Plus the whole tale of Momotaro has him aged up before he tackles the island of demons.

Here's my question. Is it a ridiculous sacrifice if Momo gives up five years to become 13 instantly? Is it too much at 10? 20? Where is the line where some kind of personal sacrifice, needed to save an entire kingdom. falls in? Where's the line?
    Last edited by Robby; August 13th, 2021 at 05:33 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

It's nudging a child into a ridiculous sacrifice for the gain of someone else.
    Someone else? He's doing it for himself and for Wano... He needs this for himself the most.

Just to be clear, Momo can do whatever he wants. I think it would be a tragedy, but I would be okay with it if it's played like one.

I just think it would be utterly terrible when the leadup to that sacrifice would be Luffy's rough call to man up. It would have been the final trigger, our protagonist gave him the push to make that insane sacrifice. Intentional or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Here's my question. Is it a ridiculous sacrifice if Momo gives up five years to become 13 instantly? Is it too much at 10? 20? Where is the line where some kind of personal sacrifice, needed to save an entire kingdom. falls in? Where's the line?
    I think children shouldn't be touched at all, that's my line. But the details don't even matter because we know how far Shinobu will have to go - to the point that Momo's childhood would be over.

Here's my question:

What would be Luffy's reaction to an aged up Momo? How do you envision it? Write me a 1 or 2 sentence in-world response, please. Doesn't have to be A-level writing, just so I get an idea what people have in mind.

Even if Momo didn't do it right now to fly Luffy, what do you think would happen literally 10 minutes from now when that island starts crashing down on the capital?

As for Luffy's reaction? I don't have to imagine it, we've seen it already. He had that scene with Vivi 900 chapters ago. When she said they needed to go detour to try and stop the rebels, rather than fighting Crocodile, because she didn't want to put the crew in danger.

Luffy punched her, told her people die and that's the reality of war, and that you need to let us risk our lives to help you. And then ending it with "You want to kick his butt more than anybody, don't you?" Which Vivi had to agree with.

Luffy respects resolve, and will do whatever it takes to help someone helpless beat their tyrant. He KNOWS when someone needs to face their demon. He took care of that business for Nami, Vivi, Robin, and Sanji.

Momo's *already* made that choice, so no punching needed. Just acceptance of "Even if it means sacrifices that can't be helped, lets go kick his butt."

Momo losing a few years sucks, but its nothing compared to the thousands of lives being lost, and that will be lost, if he does nothing.How can he lead his people if he just stands back and does nothing *now* when there's *something* he can do?
    Last edited by Robby; August 13th, 2021 at 06:15 AM.

No, unless they find a way to reverse the process.

I could have seen it when it was just Shinobu and Momo back in the attic, but not after Luffy told him to man up and fly him to Onigashima. It would feel like Luffy nudged an 8-year old into sacrificing a decade or more of it's lifespan, and I just can't imagine Oda going for that. I don't even know how Luffy himself would react to it.

"Wow cool Momo, throwing your childhood away was exactly what I had in mind when I told you to be a man! Let's goooo!"

And no, this is not comparable to Luffy encouraging others (like Coby) to pursue their dreams despite the dangers involved. It's nudging a child into a ridiculous sacrifice for the gain of someone else.

_________

So I can see two outcomes:

1. Momo ages up, but for one reason or another the effects won't last forever, he reverts back to an 8-year old when everything is over. He has an artificial legendary Dragon Zoan after all, if someone would tell me that it grants powerful regeneration (or even low key immortality) I would buy it, effectively reverting the Mature Mature effect after a while.

2. Just when they're about to go through with it, Luffy interrupts them, followed by an encouraging speech. The message being that Momo is fine and capable as he is, that courage and determination aren't bound to physical maturity.

____

I would like to go with 2., please.
    On top of all the other replies you've gotten, I want to argue that Luffy could not possibly have been asking for this and might not even know Shinobu can do it. Seriously, I don't think they've had an onscreen interaction before this and he's not the type to listen to a briefing on what all these different allies can do without seeing them in action. What Luffy knows is that Momo with his current dragon form is capable of carrying him a significant vertical distance, as he experienced on Punk Hazard and has been encouraging the kid to recreate ever since. Momo knows that too. Luffy isn't asking him to fight Kaido or lift the island, he just wants to get back up there.

To get stronger, to face his demons and do the thing we all know needs to happen is 100% Momo's choice, being made away from Luffy and without his direction or influence. It's a profound reach (and an undermining of probably the best character moment Momo's going to get after being part of the story for nearly a decade) to call this Luffy's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    On top of all the other replies you've gotten, I want to argue that Luffy could not possibly have been asking for this and might not even know Shinobu can do it.
    This is the point! Of course Luffy doesn't know Shinobu can do that (and even if he did, do we really think he would push him into it)?

That's why I'm asking everyone, not just Robby, to come up with an in-world response from Luffy in regards to Momo throwing his childhood away. Because if I were Luffy I would be absolutely devastated that a child made such a sacrifce after I told it to man up.

Asking Momo to overcome his fears and help him reach Onigashima is totally in line with Luffy's character. Momo taking that request to the extreme because he doesn't trust his own abilities though? And that growing up will magically give him the confidence to be useful? Is this supposed to be the inspiring message?

That's why I'm asking everyone, not just Robby, to come up with an in-world response from Luffy in regards to Momo throwing his childhood away. Because if I were Luffy I would be absolutely devastated that a child made such a sacrifce after I told it to man up.
    I agree 100% with what Robby said, that's also my point of view.

Luffy would respect Momo's choice and acknowledge his resolve...
    This could even give Luffy a boost later on in the fight when he's struggling against Kaido.
    He can't let Momo's sacrifice go to waste, so he goes further than he can, to defeat Kaido.
    Isn't that something typical?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information