13 17.81%
  • Oshiruko!

7 9.59%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will Momo do it?

Default Re: Will Momo do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    This is the point! Of course Luffy doesn't know Shinobu can do that (and even if he did, do we really think he would push him into it)?

That's why I'm asking everyone, not just Robby, to come up with an in-world response from Luffy in regards to Momo throwing his childhood away. Because if I were Luffy I would be absolutely devastated that a child made such a sacrifce after I told it to man up.

Asking Momo to overcome his fears and help him reach Onigashima is totally in line with Luffy's character. Momo taking that request to the extreme because he doesn't trust his own abilities though? And that growing up will magically give him the confidence to be useful? Is this supposed to be the inspiring message?
    I don't know if Luffy strikes me as the kind of guy to put such a high conceptual value of childhood. He'd say who cares how old your body is, as long as you're chasing your dreams and doing what's right by you. If it's not going to outright rob Momo of his dream, it's probably not going to be that big of a deal.

Luffy's also well known for his 'do what you have to do and think about the consequences later' attitude to dangerous situations. Mostly, he takes the risks on himself, but he'll respect it when an ally feels the need to make a stand for what's important to them. Maybe the Luffy of Fishman Island, fresh out of training, would take a 'how dare you make a sacrifice instead of letting me handle things' stance, but as of Whole Cake Island, he's taken a more pragmatic approach to the risks and costs of facing Emperors.

See this response to Pedro's death:

And other people have mentioned the Alabasta scene as another example of some surprising realism about battles in Luffy's perspective.

At the very least, whatever he feels about the loss of 20 years off Momo's lifespan, we can be pretty sure Luffy will be impressed with him for making a choice on his own and following through, and willing to make the most of things once it happened. That amount of time is small change compared to death and/or the complete destruction of a country, especially in a universe where normal humans comfortably live past 140.

By the way, I would enjoy more threads like this in the future (cliffhanger topic with a poll, especially when we need to endure a longer break)!

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

No, unless they find a way to reverse the process.

I could have seen it when it was just Shinobu and Momo back in the attic, but not after Luffy told him to man up and fly him to Onigashima. It would feel like Luffy nudged an 8-year old into sacrificing a decade or more of it's lifespan, and I just can't imagine Oda going for that. I don't even know how Luffy himself would react to it.

"Wow cool Momo, throwing your childhood away was exactly what I had in mind when I told you to be a man! Let's goooo!"

And no, this is not comparable to Luffy encouraging others (like Coby) to pursue their dreams despite the dangers involved. It's nudging a child into a ridiculous sacrifice for the gain of someone else.

_________

So I can see two outcomes:

1. Momo ages up, but for one reason or another the effects won't last forever, he reverts back to an 8-year old when everything is over. He has an artificial legendary Dragon Zoan after all, if someone would tell me that it grants powerful regeneration (or even low key immortality) I would buy it, effectively reverting the Mature Mature effect after a while.

2. Just when they're about to go through with it, Luffy interrupts them, followed by an encouraging speech. The message being that Momo is fine and capable as he is, that courage and determination aren't bound to physical maturity.

____

I would like to go with 2., please.
    Luffy's role in this is pretty overstated.

Momo isn't making this decision cuz of Luffy. He's doing it cuz of Kaido.

He straight up said when he asked for help that if he could he'd be older to deal with this himself for the ppl of Wano.

Oda has seemed to have been telegraphing this early on.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Here's my question:

What would be Luffy's reaction to an aged up Momo? How do you envision it? Write me a 1 or 2 sentence in-world response, please. Doesn't have to be A-level writing, just so I get an idea what people have in mind.
    Spoiler:
    If Momo presents himself as his adult self:

Luffy: Hey guys, where's Momo? Who are you?!....

*Is told this is aged up Momo*

OKAY! LETS GO!

Momo shows up in adult dragon form:

OKAY! LETS GO BEAT KAIDO'S ASS!
    Last edited by Zik; August 13th, 2021 at 07:33 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Short answer:
    Yes, because if not it wouldn't make any sense to bring it up in the way it was.

Long answer:
    Yes, because it's the natural conclusion to Momo's story and to his character arc.
    First of all, it kind of baffles me how much some people argue on him losing his childhood. Let's quickly recap Momo's childhood:
    His father, who was missing for a good part of said childhood,sailing around while their kingdom went quickly to shit, was first covered in ridicule and then brutally murdered. He narrowly escaped a brutal execution too by being cast 20 years in the future by his mother, who was lynched shortly after.
    In the future, was immediately discovered and had to run for his life for months, was kidnapped and avoided becoming a lab rat by dumb luck, which consisted in almost starving himself to death. Yet he ended up gaining the defective version of his father's killer's power, making him looking like him at random.
    Most recently he found out that one of his few trusted friends was a traitor all along who had no qualms about beating him and giving him to his enemies to be crucified. Which he was. Then he saw most of the others few trusted friends being brutally murdered too.
    All the while, wherever he goes people expect him to be their leader a lift them from their misery, throwing in some Daddy Was So Awesome wanking for good measure
    Yet he's somehow expected to live a serene child life.
    Momo's childhood us gone, if anything he's taking back the 20 years that were stolen from him, indirectly by Kaido.

Also, finally there's some meat to bite in this arc. Momo's sacrifice will not only demonstrate he's a rightful leader not only by name, but will probably be the one significant loss in this epic battle against an emperor of the sea.

Finally, Luffy will never ever put himself against a friend's resolve. If that's what Momo wants, that's what Momo'll do.
    Last edited by Alfiere; August 13th, 2021 at 10:46 AM.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

I just don't get why people believe Momo should be turned into an 28 yr old dude, just because that's the "age he should have".

its already been stated he'll remain childish and he'd be losing 20 years of actual training.

turning it into an 18 yr old makes more sense because he only wants to be a bigger dragon and there wouldn't be a huge difference in size between 18yr old and 28yr old, and because that way he could invest the next 10 years in proper training.

plus, if Oda's intention is to make Momo more popular, it's pretty much a fact that the most popular characters are people between 17-25 yr olds.

just look at Franky's constant failure to make it higher in polls, 28 yr old Momo would end up in the same spot, being a creepy adult and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I just don't get why people believe Momo should be turned into an 28 yr old dude, just because that's the "age he should have".
    That'd put him in spitting distance of Oden in his prime. 'And probably the spitting image. Enough to give Kaidou PSD.

I bet once his head stops being shaed it looks like Oden's hair.

plus, if Oda's intention is to make Momo more popular,
    WHile Oda will listen to popularity polls for bringing characters back, he doesn't care about them when someone is unpopular.

Doing this isn't to send Momo up the polls, this was always in the cards. Thats why Momo was at his worst point and beaten to a pulp right around when the polls took place. That was always going to offset things.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I really hope its 18 and not 28.

At 18 he'll at least have some youth left and a small gap for his formative years.

I get the whole thematic parallel where he'd look like Oden and spook Kaido but I think 18 could accomplish that. Oden was what he looked like by the age of 15 basically.

Either way I can see Oda giving Momo Oden muscles and everything lol. Doubt it'd be a skinny frail Momo (equally as funny).
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

People are super tired of Oden's propaganda, turning Momo into *more* of it, will not be satisfying.

People are super tired of Oden's propaganda, turning Momo into *more* of it, will not be satisfying.
    Who are these ppl?

Wasn't Oden pretty popular? Like both globally, in Japan, and in Asia?

How much of the fandom actually are tired of "Oden propaganda"? Or is this a western fan thing only? Or perhaps an even smaller group than that? Cuz if so the perception of Oden is probably very different.

Pretty sure it'll be satisfying to Oden (and Momo) fans.
    Last edited by Zik; August 13th, 2021 at 06:47 PM.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Who are these ppl?

How much of the fandom actually are tired of "Oden propaganda"? Or is this a western fan thing only? Or perhaps an even smaller group than that? Cuz if so the perception of Oden is probably very different.

He's definitely projecting his own tastes onto the whole fanbase. Oden made top 25 out of over a thousand characters in the WT100, despite only being properly introduced less than two years ago. People are allowed to have their personal opinions on the character (I enjoyed his story but never really emotionally connected with him like I did a lot of other flashback characters, so he probably wouldn't be as high on a personal list of favourites as he was on the WT100) but this idea that the wider fanbase has rejected him is objectively false.

It's Chekovs aging now. Someone has to be aged up now.

Would be funny if somebody else also got aged up out of the blue.

Still think Momo is the main guy.
    Last.fm

Maybe Oden's giga-chad Mary Sue persona was meant since the beginning to be a foil for Momo's more well rounded but far more suited to lead demeanor.
    After all this story's always been about the living, not the dead characters from flashbacks.

Problem is, the Oden flashback was kind of bad, for many reasons. One is, Oden came out of it as a complete piece of shit that everybody nonetheless kept and is supposed to keep in high esteem because... Word of God basically. So the feeling of Momo needing to subvert his father's ways is seriously undermined by such ways being portrayed as the best ever, even in the face of catastrophic results.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

The Oden hate is so weird to me.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Who are these ppl?

I said his propaganda, at this point it's impressive if someone doesn't have huge "and when Poochie is not around, everyone must ask where's Poochie?" vibes.

Momo is about to become MORE of that!

I said his propaganda, at this point it's impressive if someone doesn't have huge "and when Poochie is not around, everyone must ask where's Poochie?" vibes.

Momo is about to become MORE of that!
    Guess I haven't been exposed to the Oden propaganda then.
    Last.fm

Oden is a fun character imo

There are multiple reasons why Momo will probably get aged-up:

1) Giving Momo a physical change to mirror the change in his inner mindstate is something that's right up Oda's alley, this is something that most have mentioned so I won't get bogged down in expanding on it.

2) One Piece is an adventure manga, and a big part of how it functions is that Luffy leaves each island after being a major part of correcting its issues, but in order for Luffy to be really able to leave, Wano Country needs to possess a deterrent that is big enough to make the WG (who are heavily implied to be the great power that caused Wano's borders to be closed in search for protection) pause and think for a minute about the idea of invading Wano right after the pirate battle ends, and having a shogun that can turn into a dragon that is as big (and theoretically as powerful) as Kaido's Zoan form is a major fucking deterrent, add to that whatever retainers remain standing, a strong contingent of Samurai and probably being added to Luffy's territories and Wano looks like it can sustain its defenses after Luffy goes.

I am against this. If Luffy could prevent the sacrifices made by Vivi, shanks, ace, zoro, he would have, part of the timeskip is to be strong enough so those that he cares about don’t have to suffer anymore.

Saying that “he has to grow up” puts a strain on what the plot has shown us that is not there, a kid can earn the respect of the country, momo can fly luffy up without issue, the limit of zoan powers is more related to imagination than physical age(or do triceraptors fly?), Momo’s full on trauma started less than 3 months ago in story, the situation is not calling for the immediate age up, Luffy asked momo to do this because he believed that current momo can do it.

Besides something being forced to ripen/mature/age means to rot, not to grow and improve, without nutrition, training or actual time the logical result should be a dead momo, specially with as little control shinobu has shown for her fruit, being in danger of failing to the ocean because it keeps spreading, but the fruit will work as Oda wants it to work.

Luffy believes that 8y/o momo can do it. Momo believes that he has to be aged up to do it. If it is about someone’s capacities, I believe Luffy more than momo.

Having a randomly stronger body (if shinobu ‘s fruit works as they want and not as it should) shouldn’t mean immediate mastery either, look at Luffy and Kaku, Luffy had to hone his fruit for ten years to work as he wanted, and kaku even as an expert assassin had to struggle to figure out the power of the giraffe, even Blackbeard who chose the quake fruit and had a front seat to see how it worked couldn’t unleash its full power in the same day that he consumed it, is momo going to go from nobody to an emperor endangering warrior just like that?

I don’t see what an adult momo can bring to the table, and be consistent with the story, that kid momo can’t already do.

Momo can’t do cool dragon shit because he is a coward, and having an adult body should not fix that .

Also, if shinobu ‘s fruit works as momo wants it to work, why wouldn’t luffy age himself up to his perfect ripe age? Wouldn’t he be still away from his peak performance, and thus able to improve, and not doing that puts the country at a risk?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I am against this. If Luffy could prevent the sacrifices made by Vivi, shanks, ace, zoro, he would have, part of the timeskip is to be strong enough so those that he cares about don’t have to suffer anymore.
    Luffy isn't strong enough though. He already is asking Momo to get him back to Onigashima. He is not strong enough to prevent Onigashima from crashing on Wano.

[Quote)Besides something being forced to ripen/mature/age means to rot, not to grow and improve, without nutrition, training or actual time the logical result should be a dead momo], specially with as little control shinobu has shown for her fruit, being in danger of failing to the ocean because it keeps spreading, but the fruit will work as Oda wants it to work.[/quote]
    You already know its going to work cuz Oda says, not sure why you're bringing up a scenario that you know won't have that reasoning.

Luffy believes that 8y/o momo can do it. Momo believes that he has to be aged up to do it. If it is about someone’s capacities, I believe Luffy more than momo.
    Luffy already treats Momo like an adult though.

Having a randomly stronger body (if shinobu ‘s fruit works as they want and not as it should) shouldn’t mean immediate mastery either[/quote]
    Momo does not immediate mastery though.

He just needs to be able to do it a bit easier than his 8 year old body can.

I don’t see what an adult momo can bring to the table, and be consistent with the story, that kid momo can’t already do.
    8 year old tiny dragon Momo can not stop Onigashima from falling. An older giant dragon Momo jas a much better chance.

Momo can’t do cool dragon shit because he is a coward, and having an adult body should not fix that .
    Its about having the adult dragon body not adult human body.

Not sure why you think he cant do cool dragon shit cuz he's a coward. Being a coward hasn't stopped Usopp from doing a fee cool things.

Also, if shinobu ‘s fruit works as momo wants it to work, why wouldn’t luffy age himself up to his perfect ripe age? Wouldn’t he be still away from his peak performance, and thus able to improve, and not doing that puts the country at a risk?
    That would be Luffy's choice.

Although it wouldn't help as much as it would help Momo. All that would change with Luffy is he would be older, mayne a bit taller. No better control of his regular paramecia abilities. Maybe he'd be better at conserving his haki.

Momo gets his defective mythological zoan DF in t. Its adult form. If he becomes the size of Kaido, that's an automatic plus on its own.
    Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information