+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,021: Demonio

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Default Re: Chapter 1,021: Demonio

Everyone knows Robin's fight is good, so next...

Maturing Momo. Yeah it was foreshadowed. But it doesnt mean I must like this development.

How nice, getting an instant power up without drawback like that!

"But he actually loses some years of his life by doing that! Its a tear shedding sacrifice!!"

No, he will get an instant power up, no drawback at all. Lost years of his life? Only that? Pssh... considerinh he will get a bigger dragon form and maybe magically Oden's sword technique and physique, thats a slap on the wrist.

Luffy did lose some years of his life back then from Iva, but he doesnt get a clear power up from that. Only a cure for poison.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

What a fantastic chapter. It felt a lot like an Enies Lobby fight, with its clever tricks and new powers that don't fully make sense coming out of nowhere, but you excuse it because they're just so freaking cool. Brook gets sold a little short, but Robin is in the running to be the MVP of Onigashima. It was all drawn beautifully as well, and is going to be one of the sequences I'm looking forward to the most when the colour volume starts getting this far. Especially the Mari-arson panel (great work on the names, Stephen); the way they colour fire has always been really appealing to me.

I love the versatility Robin's been showing with her fruit. From flexible noodle arms for the Sea Serpent Snap Dragon move to whatever the heck Demonio Fluer is, she's really pushing it to its limits and showing why it has a reputation as one of the most broken fruits. Similarly, Black Maria plays it real smart and shows why Robin can't just effortlessly win every fight. She takes advantage of the giant limbs' vulnerability, uses a large weapon and a poison ability to discourage spawning limbs close to or on her, then lights the room on fire to limit the other places arms and legs might come from. It's a great play/counterplay exchange that gives both combatants a strong showing. And the finisher! Just like Jinbe's fight, this one wraps up in an unexpectedly brutal looking way. We're in the big leagues now, and the crew is not toying with their opponents.

The only questionable visual in the chapter is giant Robin's chest in the opening pages. The line rendering is a bizarre choice, and looks a lot weirder than just, say, leaving her boobs smooth and nippleless. Also, why is this an issue at all? We've seen already that Robin's full body duplicates can come out fully clothed. And she's still got the ribbon in her hair, even in the giant version! So you can't tell me it would be impossible to make it clothed at that size. And if that *was* going to be the excuse for making her naked, just remove the ribbon too and let her hair free for a classic, natural-looking Godiva censor! Which happens anyway on the demon form!

The whole thing strikes me as Oda just wanting to draw tits and not thinking things through further than that.

I loved the mixing and matching of martial arts and skills in the flashback. It's definitely something I want to see more of, given how many different non-devil fruit styles we've seen so far. It's also nice to actually see a human using Fishman martial arts with the shockwave effects and everything. We knew Koala could use the style, but we'd never seen her do any of the more waterbender-y things actual Fishmen did with it. I'm happy to consider it confirmed that water manipulation isn't species-specific, it's something you can train and learn, just like the flame swordsmanship Zoro picked up. Elemental powers are just something humans seem to have in One Piece.

Makes you wonder if the Minks' electro is also something that could be figured out by anyone with the right training.

The shadows on the Demonio form are inevitably going to trigger a million ongoing debates about armament haki, but I don't think that's what we're being shown. Haki has more of a metallic, reflective smoothness its its rendering, with bright spots where it's catching the light. The rough, rendered edges and lack of reflections here just don't match. It'll be interesting to see how the anime and colour manga choose to colour it, with that in mind.

I was going to screencap a couple of panels to compare how haki is drawn, but someone on reddit made this edit, showing the point better than I could have hoped to:

Spoiler:

I wish we could have seen more from Brook in this conflict, but hey, he was the clear MVP of Whole Cake Island and his final attack here is a *spectacularly* drawn panel, so I won't complain too much.

It's interesting looking back at Robin's scenes post timeskip with the assumption she was perhaps capable of this all along. Oda probably could have let her put up more of a fight against Monet. Even without armament, the Fishman Karate moisture tricks should have done something to a snow logia. Trebol, on the other hand, is extremely lucky to have only attacked her when she was playing decoy, and that Sugar managed to get Robin when she did. I feel like it's in character that she let Kyros and Diamante have their fight, even though it seems like she would have been more than a match if she'd had to step in. The Stardust move would have been a tough hit if it caught her by surprise with her big limbs out though.

And we have the final reveal - Momonosuke might be turned into an adult. Some people guessed it as early as the first reveal of Shinobu's power. Some people got it earlier than that. I remember reading a theory years and years ago that Bonney would join the crew alongside Momo and be used to age him up and down when he needed to fight. I wonder if that person is still around to know how close they were on that point. Anyway, I can't understand the immediate negative reaction a weird number of people had to this development when the spoilers came out, assuming it would mean he fights Kaido and steals the win from Luffy, then getting mad about that assumption. Are we reading the same series? As if this isn't the moment it all clicks into place for issue of the Onigashima colony drop and how to prevent it.

It also makes a whole lot of thematic sense on different levels. The loss of innocence Momo suffered when Kaido attacked is made manifest. The need for him to grow up and be a leader is taken literally. The 20 years of suffering for the locals that the time-jumping squad didn't have to endure are made up for all at once. The parellels and contrasts to Oden, who both acted like an adult when he was a child and joyfully shirked his responsibilities like a big kid when he was an adult.

I don't see Momo fighting Kaido head on. Age is not a substitute for experience, but it might be enough to turn a piddly little dragon into a fearsome full-size one. At best, he gets a token clash to be part of the Momotaro scene, then goes off to save the island. Which makes complete sense and should be a fitting conclusion to the battle.

Horrible time to have a week off to wait through, but what a great chapter to be left on. I'm really excited for the direction the arc is headed. Assuming the remaining fights will wrap up in order of importance and emotional weight, I can see either Drake and Apoo or Killer and Hawkins wrapping up in the next chapter, then onward to the heavy hitting Scabbard, Sanji and Zoro, and Kid and Law scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    What a fantastic chapter. It felt a lot like an Enies Lobby fight, with its clever tricks and new powers that don't fully make sense coming out of nowhere,
    I heard this a few times now, but I can't really comprehend it.

1. Robin's ability lets her spawn body parts, pre timeskip limited to 200 limbs/eyes whatever

2. Post timeskip she can conjure many, many more limbs. Not clear if the new limit is really a thousand or if it's just a flavorful name, but enough to form even bigger limbs out of hundred smaller ones.

3. Apart from that, she mastered to conjure a fullbody clone, brains and all that. It's really pushing it from my point of view, but that's still a Fishman Island thing. I'm used to it at this point.

4. And now, against B-Maria, she combined 2. and 3. to form a gigantic clone avatar of herself.

5. However, that huge avatar is still only the size of B-Maria. She would like to up her game and go even bigger, but at that point the entire floor is on fire.

6. Once that was cleared up with the Fishman Karate move, she did what she originally tried to do: give it her all and finish the fight. Completely logical to me, the next upgrade is a form that uses even more limbs. Notice how Demon Robin is now at least twice the size of Black Maria? She's overpowering her through sheer bulk now.

The visual is of course driven by rule of cool, even though I would argue that conjuring a demonic visage did scare the Gifters to the point that they couldn't move, so there was a minor reason to summon something scary and not just Robin in extra-extra thicc.

So what exactly is weird / Enies Lobby'ish?

Nothing extraordinarily weird happened here, it's a natural progression as far as I see it. Not comparable to Ashura or Diable Jambe, skills that virtually came out of nowhere and didn't even slightly relate to anything Zoro/Sanji showed before.

______

I admit I have no idea why her finishing move is called Jacuzzi Clutch though. Could it be that jacuzzi has another meaning I'm not aware of?
    Last edited by Jabra; August 9th, 2021 at 04:58 PM.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    You talk of its duration as if it's the most important part. The fight is pretty static, the only interesting parts were Maria's, even as underdeveloped as she is, and that transformation Robin had came out of nowhere. At least it was resolved swiftly, though.
    Most One Piece transformations come out of nowhere though.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

So, we are four chapters away from the Volume's end.

It's time to speculate end of Act 3 again. Yeah, I've been saying it would happen near every volume end/start since... Volume 99? 98? Lol. But it will happen, be sure of it.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

The way all these battles are being settled is IMO a clear sign the Flying Six are going to awaken and force the Strawhats to go all-out.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

This Chapter was AMAZING!!!! I LOVED IT!!!! Definitely feels like it's Oda's response to Robin lacking glory moments (not originally planned), but I'm actually okay with it because she got a much needed buff!!!

Zoro vs King
    Sanji vs Queen
    Drake vs Apoo
    Killer vs Hawkins
    Inuarashi vs Jack
    Nekomamushi vs Perospero
    Raizo vs Fukurokuju
    Law and Kid vs Big Mom
    Team Momotaro vs Kaido

Still a lot of fights left. And this is assuming the remaining Numbers don't get full fight chapters.
    Last edited by All Fiction; August 9th, 2021 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    I heard this a few times now, but I can't really comprehend it.

1. Robin's ability lets her spawn body parts, pre timeskip limited to 200 limbs/eyes whatever

2. Post timeskip she can conjure many, many more limbs. Not clear if the new limit is really a thousand or if it's just a flavorful name, but enough to form even bigger limbs out of hundred smaller ones.

3. Apart from that, she mastered to conjure a fullbody clone, brains and all that. It's really pushing it from my point of view, but that's still a Fishman Island thing. I'm used to it at this point.

4. And now, against B-Maria, she combined 2. and 3. to form a gigantic clone avatar of herself.

5. However, that huge avatar is still only the size of B-Maria. She would like to up her game and go even bigger, but at that point the entire floor is on fire.

6. Once that was cleared up with the Fishman Karate move, she did what she originally tried to do: give it her all and finish the fight. Completely logical to me, the next upgrade is a form that uses even more limbs. Notice how Demon Robin is now at least twice the size of Black Maria? She's overpowering her through sheer bulk now.

The visual is of course driven by rule of cool, even though I would argue that conjuring a demonic visage did scare the Gifters to the point that they couldn't move, so there was a minor reason to summon something scary and not just Robin in extra-extra thicc.

So what exactly is weird / Enies Lobby'ish?

Nothing extraordinarily weird happened here, it's a natural progression as far as I see it. Not comparable to Ashura or Diable Jambe, skills that virtually came out of nowhere and didn't even slightly relate to anything Zoro/Sanji showed before.

______

I admit I have no idea why her finishing move is called Jacuzzi Clutch though. Could it be that jacuzzi has another meaning I'm not aware of?
    Perhaps a little hyperbole on my part. To be clear, it feels like Enies Lobby, but you're right it's not exactly the same. I can put the pieces of Demonio together in hindsight, but I would never have guessed it before I turned the page and saw it. Our crew could pull any visually insane thing out on the next page, and that's exciting. People and powers in One Piece make weird shit happen, and I'm on board to roll with that.

I also want to be clear that Enies Lobby comparisons are not a negative. The whole Water Seven-Enies Lobby saga is still my favourite part of the story to date.

There are definitely some bits of weirdness in how Robin's fruit works though. Like how the justification for giant limbs is still lots of small ones blooming at once, but we can see in the chapter how the giant ones are treated the same as normal, individual ones for the purpose of sending damage back to the main body. Not to mention things like the giant body's face and hair, which wouldn't be possible to form in such detail if the normal size limbs weren't able to actually coalesce into a fully functional whole. Which raises the question of where damage to the wings and horns of Demonio would go back to.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I’m not saying WsW won’t get up, judt that he won’t fight Jinbe again. Jinbe vs Who’s Who was such a one-sided fight, it doesn’t make a second round a thrilling idea. Jinbe would just handle WsW another wooping.

Now, Sasaki vs Franky? Franky lost the shogun; round 2 would be hard mode.

Maria and Robin? Robin is clearly exhausted, and round 2 IMO depends on my theory that the human torso was a trick of some sort. That would mean Robin wasted energy on a fake Maria, and the spider would be mostly unharmed. Round 2 would be hard mode as well.

I feel there’s some room for a returning WsW to instead get in the way of Drake. Maybe WsW’s running from CP-0, gets in Drake’s (who’s chasing Apoo) way, and we get Drake/Who’s Who/CP-0 3-way battle. That would also free Apoo for Brook. Drake has had scenes with WsW and questioning CP-0’s presence in Wano, so all those elements meeting could give us interesting insights.
    As for Jinbe, he’ll likely get a more fitting opponent in either Jack or Smoothie. The later depens on BM’s children arriving, but I feel it will happen, due to Jinbe having more grudges with the BM Pirates, and Smoothie having her own water-based powers.
    All I know is Awakening for Who's Who makes far more sense than the idea of Black Maria vs Robin round 2. She's the only character that took two chapters to defeat, and it was in a much more decisive manner than what Sasaki and Who's Who got

______

Apparently it can also mean "Great Whirlpool Clutch", which fits the idea of Robin using multiple arms sprouting up from the ground and pulling down.

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    Zoro vs King
    Sanji vs Queen
    Drake vs Apoo
    Killer vs Hawkins
    Inuarashi vs Jack
    Nekomamushi vs Perospero
    Raizo vs Fukurokuju
    Law and Kid vs Big Mom
    Team Momotaro vs Kaido

Still a lot of fights left. And this is assuming the remaining Numbers don't get full fight chapters.
    My thoughts:

Killer vs Hawkins: This may be the only real non-SH fight that has been established so far. It all fits: Killer is outgunned, but he has spirit and a score to settle with Hawkins, as the later betrayed Kid and Killer by cowardice.

Drake vs Apoo is not happening. There's literally no narrative gravitas between those characters except for Drake declaring he hates Apoo for no known reason. Besides, Apoo is the perfect match for Brook, who lacks a match up so far. Music vs Music. Musician vs. living instrument. If there's one character in the entire raid that can figure out how to counter Apoo's powers (which I bet are the source of his seemly invincibility), it's Brook. I can't believe how easily people have settled for a lackluster Apoo vs. Drake fight.

Inuarashi vs Jack: I don't think Jack is winning this one. I also don't think it will be a full chapter fight. Mostly off-panel moments. And, once Jack goes hybrid, Inu is toast.
    Nekomamushi vs Perospero: Perospero being cornered is the moment I expect him to bring his siblings to the party. I'm sure he has just been having fun messing with everyone while holding that trump card. It's even foreshadowed in his words while heading "alone" to Onigashima: by the end, the victory will belong to the Big Mom Pirates.

Raizo vs Fukurokuju: Is anyone even remotely interested in this fight? We know they are rivals, but we never saw that rivalry, it lacks any impact. I know something will come out of it, and by the end of this fight it will have served some other purpose, but that's a fight that I expect to be resolved mostly off-panel.
    Law and Kid vs Big Mom: This, IMO, is just stalling to keep all of those three away from the main action. I'm sure Big Mom is not falling for Law and Kid, as, again, it lacks any meaningful drive behind it. I feel this fight will make Kid step up his game as he gains better control of his Conqueror haki, and we may learn what Kid stole from BM, but that's it. I feel act 4 will have Big Mom stepping up big in the villain ladder, as her family returns and her real reasons for allying with Kaido are revealed.

Team Momotaro vs Kaido: While it will probably happen, I don't think it's as simple as that. The Nine Shadows will also factor in it. Either the team Momotaro starts the fight and get joined by the other Shadows later, or the opposite: it starts with the Nine Shadows and ends with the Momotaro team standing.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    All I know is Awakening for Who's Who makes far more sense than the idea of Black Maria vs Robin round 2. She's the only character that took two chapters to defeat, and it was in a much more decisive manner than what Sasaki and Who's Who got
    Who's Who vs Jinbe also took two chapters. Only Sasaki/Franky was settled in one.

I already said why Black Maria is not defeated. Unlike Sasaki and Who's Who, I don't expect her to just stand up again and go berzerk or hide. Instead, she's actually the spider and took little damage from Robin. She standing up means she reveals her true hybrid and fights in a totally new way compared to her former self.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

There are definitely some bits of weirdness in how Robin's fruit works though. Like how the justification for giant limbs is still lots of small ones blooming at once, but we can see in the chapter how the giant ones are treated the same as normal, individual ones for the purpose of sending damage back to the main body. Not to mention things like the giant body's face and hair, which wouldn't be possible to form in such detail if the normal size limbs weren't able to actually coalesce into a fully functional whole. Which raises the question of where damage to the wings and horns of Demonio would go back to.
    I guess it depends how she arranged the larger limbs. If the smaller arms that make up the big one are stacked parallely to another, while Maria's weapon cuts them all horizontally, then the damage returned shoudn't be amplified. At least compared to the limbs being arranged randomly, which would result in cuts in several places with one cut.

To be honest I have a bigger problem with the Fishman Karate move than the Demon Form, which is just a big fancy Robin clone anyway. Because now we could ask ourselves why Robin didn't use it when she REALLY needed it, namely against Monet back in Punk Hazard.

Of course the answer is that Oda made it up recently, this flashback wasn't planned at all. It's not a big deal for me, but when he dares to retrofit new attacks then he shouldn't halfass it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto View Post
    Apparently it can also mean "Great Whirlpool Clutch", which fits the idea of Robin using multiple arms sprouting up from the ground and pulling down.
    Oh!

Yeah okay, that makes sense.

I guess it depends how she arranged the larger limbs. If the smaller arms that make up the big one are stacked parallely to another, while Maria's weapon cuts them all horizontally, then the damage returned shoudn't be amplified. At least compared to the limbs being arranged randomly, which would result in cuts in several places with one cut.

To be honest I have a bigger problem with the Fishman Karate move than the Demon Form, which is just a big fancy Robin clone anyway. Because now we could ask ourselves why Robin didn't use it when she REALLY needed it, namely against Monet back in Punk Hazard.

Of course the answer is that Oda made it up recently, this flashback wasn't planned at all. It's not a big deal for me, but when he dares to retrofit new attacks then he shouldn't halfass it.
    But what arrangement of limbs makes a giant face with working eyes and mouth but also sends damage taken back only to Robin's head? And if you look, the slash to the giant arms cut deep. If they really were still made up of regular size limbs, the outer layer would have been severed entirely, with presumably disastrous results for Robin.

I mused on the issues created by the flashback thing in my own post, but when you get into it, it's really just kinda part and parcel with shonen storytelling and more specifically with the structure of the New World half of the series as a whole. The crew needs to get stronger after every story arc and pull out new moves in each new one, but they all have to all reflect the one training period and the same bag of tricks they arrived at Sabaody with. I'd go as far as saying it's to Oda's credit that after a decade mining the same training gap, this is the first major "wait, you could have been doing that all along?" moment that comes to mind.

Oda definitely could have done more to make it feel justified - like she was taught the basics during the timeskip but it didn't click well enough to use in a real battle until she got a bit more experience, or was a bit more desperate, or saw something an opponent was doing - but he's decided to say "this one's on you guys to suspend your disbelief" instead. I don't love it either, but I can live with it as part of the genre.

Robin sounds like Chopper in this chapter. Being a monster, demon or whatever for her nakama. They both didn't really let people in after their traumatic experience. Chopper even more before he ate his DF with his different color nose. Robin probably notices that Chopper is new to letting this amount of people close and admires him for that to the point of addressing how she's going forward like he would.

Oda has positioned Chopper's Mink peers beside him and Jack is currently fighting Choppers patient. He already gave Queen a slap for his actions. Jack deserves a slap too. Oda been saving Jack's hybrid mode and what does Inu have? Most of the Scabbards are getting taken out. I can see Raizo showing off more of his DF, but Inu would have to pull a rabbit out of his hat here.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Who's Who vs Jinbe also took two chapters. Only Sasaki/Franky was settled in one.

I already said why Black Maria is not defeated. Unlike Sasaki and Who's Who, I don't expect her to just stand up again and go berzerk or hide. Instead, she's actually the spider and took little damage from Robin. She standing up means she reveals her true hybrid and fights in a totally new way compared to her former self.
    Oops, the Franky fight made me forget about Who's Who. I stand by what I said thought in terms of Black Maria having the most brutal defeat so far.

Even if she were to get back up, I definitely don't agree with your theory of her hiding her real body or whatever

New review featuring a clip from "The Devil Child Rises"

Haven't been a fan of the Momo aging up theory at all over the years. Trusting Oda to handle it well, but would still prefer Momo to earn his stripes as a child rather than be the literal avatar of a lost/stolen childhood.

But despite that, 18 years and 5 months later-- we finally have a Robin fight. A good one.

Serious Batman Knightfall / Dark Knight Rises vibes from the Demonio panel-- Which is funny considering we just surpassed Batman in sales. Oda thinks he's clever.

(He is.)
    K-F|Jango

Momo?

If such a transformation is good enough for Billy Batson/Shazam! (Captain Marvel-DC), maybe it can work for Momo.

But what arrangement of limbs makes a giant face with working eyes and mouth but also sends damage taken back only to Robin's head? And if you look, the slash to the giant arms cut deep. If they really were still made up of regular size limbs, the outer layer would have been severed entirely, with presumably disastrous results for Robin.
    Yes. At this point, I really believe Robin can just sprout limbs or other body parts of a larger size.
    After all, her powers are still "plant-based", and plants grow in size. It's a stretch, but only because sprouting body parts as if they were flowers has always been a stretch.

As Crocodile said, devil fruit powers grow stronger the more you train them: Robin has pushed hana-hana to a new level. It makes sense to me.

NOT EVEN CLOSE, SIR!

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Eh, Denjiro literally worked for Orochi, and had his full, complete trust, but never made a move either until Kinemon and co. came back. Because they both know that at the end of the day, nothing's going to actually change in the long term so long as Kaido is still there.
    I wasn't too happy with that either, but at least Denjiro was doing his bit as the Witching Hour Boy.
    Just seems weird to me that everyone spent twenty years hanging around waiting for "The Plan" to kick in, even if they couldn't do anything to Kaido himself, they could've used that time to weaken his forces, especially as they had a ninja with an instant death touch.

But I get that that's a Me problem, wanting every little thing explained rather than a problem with the series itself.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information