+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,021: Demonio

Default Re: Chapter 1,021: Demonio

Vigilant one should be in the presence of a will backed into a corner. Expectations can often become the debilitating web ensnaring ones judgment. Such was the case for Black Maria who seduced herself with her own ego, delusion and power. The projection she created dominated her perspective and shackled her foresight. Caution evaporated and left imprudence to pilot her actions. So entrenched was Black Maria by her arrogance, the thought of being overwhelmed by Robin became an impossibility. And within that absence of anticipation, a blind spot was spawned. Black Maria faced impossibility and could do little against the crumbling of her judgment. She was wrong and within her psychological descent, the terror known as "Devil Child" Robin overwhelmed Black Maria. Robin has won. And the Beast Pirates suffer another critical blow.

Love it.

Fantastic chapter.

Thrilling battle.

Glorious puns.

Nico Robin.

Thank you Oda-sensei! Top tier art and form.

Spoiler:

Another great fighting chapter! Really nice showing by Robin - although I had to look several times to see whose limbs are where.

So, are we right to assume that Caribou stored masses of food in his swamp for his boss, who as of now seems to be female? Hmm, gluttonous women in One Piece?
    Last edited by Mr. Prinz; August 9th, 2021 at 11:51 AM.

An excellent chapter!

It's been so long since we got a good Robin fight, so I was so happy to see her stretching her wings and showing off the results of her training, since it seemed like she didn't learn much. I especially liked the fact that Robin didn't become a master of Fishman Karate in 2 years or so, she learned a few things and adapted it to work in her fighting style. That seemed like such a Robin way to do stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Dont like how Maria beat the shit out of Robin yet Robin beat an ancient zoan in one attack.
    Joint locks and such are designed to beat people no matter how strong they are though.

I find it endearing that Robin, someone who had existed without companionship for almost two decades, is now able to express the meaning of the bonds she now has through the abilities she has chosen to learn. Robin is strong not only because of herself but because she has others to live life alongside. The battle against Black Maria, showcased Robin's amalgamation of the knowledge she had attained from Sabo, Koala and likely Zoro and Brook concerning her demonic bloom and aura. Now that Jinbe has joined the Straw Hat Pirates, Robin can evolve her abilities further by consulting with another Fish-Man Karate Master and incorporating the knowledge she will learn from Jinbe into her Hana Hana no Mi application. Robin has conveyed how prepared she is for the New World and how far from helpless she is. Robin IS strong.

The durable nature of Robin also means that she will recover shortly and continue assisting her crew and the Samurai Rebellion in the war against the Beast Pirates.

Wano is freaking great. I loved the rooftop fight (both of them, and both are among the best in the series), loved the Jinbe and Franky fights, and definitely loved the Robin one. I hope Oda keeps them coming and I really hope he does right by Sanji.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Nice of Robin to give Maria her turn at being manhandled prey, after Maria manhandled and crap talked on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Have you not noticed, that Momo is the exact opposite of Oden?
    I didn't say he's going to be like Oden, just pretend to.

And oh gossh, Hyogoro, the Scabbards and Kaido himself are going to make comparissions, succesfully turning Momo into another source of publicity for Oden.

Amazing chapter. Mostly gonna repeat myself from the spoiler thread.

Cover page was bittersweet. I hope we get to see more of the Don Quixotes.

Robin's fight was fantastic. Easy to follow, both combatants got to show off, we even got some insight into Robin's training! I love that we got to see her interact with Koala and Sabo, little things like that are wonderful. Makes me like all three characters more. And that finisher, pure eye candy. It's gonna be up there with some of the greatest finishing moves of this series. How can you not love a giant devil wrestling a giant zoan. Giving her the classic bangs was such a nice touch. It's like all my complaints about Robin since the time skip has been checked off one by one.

Brook was great too. I love that he respected Robin's fight (I can't remember which fight it was, but early I recall the crew telling Nami... at least I think it was her... not to interfere someone's fight. It's nice to see the women get the same sort of respect in their battles). And at the same time he still got a lot of action. Provided support where needed, had a fantastic finisher and some snazzy lines too. It helps that Black Maria's fodder has been very memorable compared to the rest.

Momo growing up... initially I disliked the idea, when I saw the theory on the forums I hand-waved it as impossible, but the spoiler thread made me warm up to it. Congratulations to those of you who guessed it! For now I'm neutral on it, gotta see what Oda makes of it to properly judge it. I'm curious what he'll look like, if he'll be similar to Oden, more scrawny like his mother, or maybe even being similar to Ryuma. I know he already exists in this universe but an extra reference to how he looked in life doesn't hurt.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Momo growing up... initially I disliked the idea, when I saw the theory on the forums I hand-waved it as impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I didn't say he's going to be like Oden, just pretend to.

And oh gossh, Hyogoro, the Scabbards and Kaido himself are going to make comparissions, succesfully turning Momo into another source of publicity for Oden.
    There is nothing to compare, really... Oden never made a sacrifice as big as Momo plans to do... all what Oden did was dance like a fool that's all he did for Wano...
    When he could've saved Wano he turned his back on the country and even his family... Oden's selfishness is one reason why Wano became what it became...

Momo sacrificing his lifetime to help safe his country and his people, is so much more than anything Oden ever did. If anyone compares him to Oden after that, then they will acknowledge that Momo surpassed his father as leader...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Indeed

Also putting this page of Monsters here with Ryuma for comparison. It wouldn't be a bad look for Momo. Even got the topknot. Plus you'd get the irony of a dragon being a homage to a dragon slayer.
    I've decided, this will be my prediction for his adult appearance if it happens. It feels like a stretch since Ryuma already exists in canon and Momo has both a father and mother to take after, but who knows.

Spoiler:

Edit: And by appearance I mean having some reference to it. Not an exact match, that'd just be weird.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

It happened...it finally happened.

Robin actually got her own 1v1 fight.

And it was really, really good!

What a fantastic chapter. The fact that not only did Robin finally get her own fight for the first time since Skypiea, but it may actually the best 1v1 of the arc so far? Amazing. I seriously could not be happier with how this went down. Black Maria was a great opponent, Robin showed off some really cool moves, we got a flashback to when she was with the Revolutionaries, confirmed that she picked up some Fishman Karate from training with Koala, her demon form at the end - it's all so good. And like the best fights, it all serves to highlight Robin (and Brook!) as a character, with her proving that she's not just the brains of the group, she's capable of handling herself, and she's willing to embrace her reputation as a demon (quite literally in this case) to protect her friends. Brook gets serious points for leaving the fight to Robin, and still got to look cool himself taking out the Number and gifters in one (pretty cool) attack. I just loved everything about this chapter.

It'll be interesting to see how adult Momo goes. Oda wouldn't set that up if it wasn't going to happen, so the question is more what that will mean for Momo and those around him. He's essentially giving up his childhood for the sake of his country, which is pretty noble, but as Shinobu points out, he will still have the mind of a child. There's some good potential for both drama and comedy to come from this, so I'm not nearly as against it as I've seen some other people be. I doubt Momo is suddenly going to be a badass fighter capable of taking on Kaido or anything, but it should boost his abilities enough that he can be more helpful than he is now.
    Thanks to PirateNeko for the avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Indeed

Also putting this page of Monsters here with Ryuma for comparison. It wouldn't be a bad look for Momo. Even got the topknot. Plus you'd get the irony of a dragon being a homage to a dragon slayer.
    I've decided, this will be my prediction for his adult appearance if it happens. It feels like a stretch since Ryuma already exists in canon and Momo has both a father and mother to take after, but who knows.

Edit: And by appearance I mean having some reference to it. Not an exact match, that'd just be weird.
    I guess one sees less impossibility when you really work hard to achieve your ambitious.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Frankly I think it's wild that between Who's Who and Black Maria, you're more confident about Black Maria being the one to get back up lol
    I’m not saying WsW won’t get up, judt that he won’t fight Jinbe again. Jinbe vs Who’s Who was such a one-sided fight, it doesn’t make a second round a thrilling idea. Jinbe would just handle WsW another wooping.

Now, Sasaki vs Franky? Franky lost the shogun; round 2 would be hard mode.

Maria and Robin? Robin is clearly exhausted, and round 2 IMO depends on my theory that the human torso was a trick of some sort. That would mean Robin wasted energy on a fake Maria, and the spider would be mostly unharmed. Round 2 would be hard mode as well.

I feel there’s some room for a returning WsW to instead get in the way of Drake. Maybe WsW’s running from CP-0, gets in Drake’s (who’s chasing Apoo) way, and we get Drake/Who’s Who/CP-0 3-way battle. That would also free Apoo for Brook. Drake has had scenes with WsW and questioning CP-0’s presence in Wano, so all those elements meeting could give us interesting insights.
    As for Jinbe, he’ll likely get a more fitting opponent in either Jack or Smoothie. The later depens on BM’s children arriving, but I feel it will happen, due to Jinbe having more grudges with the BM Pirates, and Smoothie having her own water-based powers.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Dont like how Maria beat the shit out of Robin yet Robin beat an ancient zoan in one attack.
    Grappling moves are much deadlier than any other form of attack, since they're designed to cause continuous damage.

A punch or kick may have more impact, but it only lasts less than a second.

Here's something interesting.

Momo -->Aged up.

Raizo --> Always looks old

Kinemon, Kanjuro, Kiku --> All dead.

Does this move more or less erase the part of trying to convince the people of Wano that Momo is a time travelling 8 year old?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Grappling moves are much deadlier than any other form of attack, since they're designed to cause continuous damage.

A punch or kick may have more impact, but it only lasts less than a second.
    Getting your head cut off is technically a one shot to...or getting hit by a flying rock into the ocean.

Heck, didn't Law oneshot Smoker and Vergo
    #Vergoshotfirst #Doflaisapunk

Well this really wasn't much of a fight, honestly. Or have we lowered expectations considering Robin took ages to get into a proper fight? K, carry on then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Well this really wasn't much of a fight, honestly. Or have we lowered expectations considering Robin took ages to get into a proper fight? K, carry on then.
    It lasted as long as an average One Piece fight would. One chapter and a half pretty much.

Only Enies Lobby had longass fights, really.

You talk of its duration as if it's the most important part. The fight is pretty static, the only interesting parts were Maria's, even as underdeveloped as she is, and that transformation Robin had came out of nowhere. At least it was resolved swiftly, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    You talk of its duration as if it's the most important part. The fight is pretty static, the only interesting parts were Maria's, even as underdeveloped as she is, and that transformation Robin had came out of nowhere. At least it was resolved swiftly, though.
    It was certainly more of a fight than what Sanji vs Absalom was.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information