+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,020: Robin vs Black Maria

Default Chapter 1,020: Robin vs Black Maria

Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

Robin is the best.

Most weeks OP makes me feel good. This one scratched many an itch so good!

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

So Yamato's DF attack is called Namuji Glacial Fang. I liked Divine Glacial Fang better in the other translation, but the DF name is correctly done at least, as I found it odd how it was named in the scans. And oh boy....Sanji being named "The Wings of the Pirate King". That is surely going to fuel the annoying Sanji vs Zoro groups a lot.

I get the impression the fruit being that of Wano’s guardian was mentioned so as to keep people guessing if Yamato will join the Straw Hats or not.

This is all I wanted in a Robin fight... Love it. Something is definitely weird with Black Maria

Seems Brook is going to fight the ghoulies. Awesome

Yamatos DF hybrid form looks a lot better this chapter and looking at the different angles. Very nice.

Seems Momo is going to be getting over his fear of heights soon
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    This is all I wanted in a Robin fight... Love it. Something is definitely weird with Black Maria

Seems Brook is going to fight the ghoulies. Awesome

Yamatos DF hybrid form looks a lot better this chapter and looking at the different angles. Very nice.

Seems Momo is going to be getting over his fear of heights soon
    Yeah, though Robin fought with the number more than Maria herself, arguably.

Weird, was it released a bit earlier than usual?

Anyway, my thoughts:

- IMO, Yamato's DF being defined as a guardian spirit of Wano just reinforces my perception that Yamato is being primed to become Wano's guardian, as I've pointed out in the Nakama thread when analyzing his most important panels so far.

- Robin/Brook interaction was great. The fight was incredible so far!

- But the real match-up hasn't even began yet! I'm pumped up for Robin vs Black Maria. I've been confident that every Straw Hat will get his/her own fight in this arc, and this one is clearly Robin's biggest opponent in the entire story so far. Let's goooo!

- Brook is also free to meet his own match any chapter now. I'm still crossing fingers for Brook vs Apoo.

- Like I pointed out before, I feel Black Maria's hybrid form is a deception. I think she's actually the spider, the human torso is a web-puppet or some other kind of decoy so enemies waste attacks on her. I expect Robin to "finish" her off with a back-breaking clutch, only for the decoy to be revealed and Black Maria assume her real hybrid form.

- So, Caribou's back! As I said in the spoiler thread, I'm expecting his power to be used to bring everyone with Luffy and Momo. That means Shinobu, the entire Heart Pirates crew, and even maybe some other unexpected newcomers. I wouldn't be surprised if, before they go, some shadowy figures, hinted to be enemies, appear to threaten them. But then, when Luffy and Momo arrive, Caribou is with them, and releases a whole army of allies from his swamp.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Author Comments 8/01/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ngs-08-01-2021

Eiichiro Oda

I laughed so hard and was overcome with emotion from seeing Ashita no Tarinai Futari. I respect these two comedians so much.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Another note I made in the spoiler thread but forgot to mention in previous post:

It's implied Kaido went after the Makami DF because of its significance to Wano. Maybe because he planned it for Orochi's replacement shogun? That's why he insists on making Yamato shogun, despite not trusting his son.

Oh, and that Yin-yang scene with the breath strikes clashing was really awesome and symbolic.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

The art in this chapter was really good. I wish this level of quality would remain consistent throughout.

As expected VIZ and Stephen. They had the chance to not only clarify the shit in SBS 73 but also use an accurate translation of the meaning of Robins line.

But well as I said. Haven't expected it after all

I finally understand the context in which Sanji's request for assistance was made and my goodness, when read in that context, Sanji's actions and Robin's response are heart-warmingly beautiful. Those events from two years ago have come full circle. Sanji may be mocked for his actions but the meaning behind his request can only be understood by the Straw Hat Pirates.

The words Sanji wanted Robin to say during that time two years have become the words Sanji had shouted to Robin in his moment of need. When Sanji confronted Robin two years ago in Water 7 and during his rescue attempt with Usopp and Franky on the Puffing Tom, Sanji wanted Robin to say those words. Those simple words that encapsulated her belief in them. In the bond they share. An expression of faith. Sanji wanted Robin to request her nakama to help her. This becomes immensely more reflective after the events in Totto Land where Sanji arrived at the point where he too needed to rely on his nakama but failed to do so initially. Only after a reminder of who he is and where he belongs did he understand how it felt to be on the other side. Sanji now has no issue with relying on his nakama, And equally, he wants his nakama to have no issue with relying on him. Robin gets that and understands the significance of Sanji requesting her assistance. Those words mean more than just the reading of the dialogue. It is an expression of his belief in her. As expression that he is the type of person reflected by his principles. An expression that he and the rest of the Straw Hat Pirates won't abandon her.

The rest of the enemy forces on Onigashima Island may laugh but Nico Robin knows. She knows the context surrounding Sanji's words and what he meant. The Beast Pirates continue to underestimate the Straw Hat Pirates and that will be the hammer closing the final nail on the coffin called defeat. Their hubris makes them blind to the reality in front of them. The Beast Pirates have been cornered by those intending to defeat them. Black Maria has yet to realise it but she has been the one ensnared in the web called delusion. Brook has set the stage for Robin in such a smooth and chilling manner. And Robin is now ready to perform her part in defeating Black Maria. I can't wait for the battle to come back in focus. I. Am. Excite!

Huh.

The "guardian spirits" lines from both Chaka and Pell were total awesome moments. To this day, it's what make me think they are way more powerful than they appeared to be, but had the unlucky fate of facing Crocodile. Pell surviving that explosion was not luck, I believe. He was also ready to fight Robin again after being surprised by her ability in round one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    The "guardian spirits" lines from both Chaka and Pell were total awesome moments. To this day, it's what make me think they are way more powerful than they appeared to be, but had the unlucky fate of facing Crocodile. Pell surviving that explosion was not luck, I believe. He was also ready to fight Robin again after being surprised by her ability in round one.
    Yeah, it could be referencing Pell surviving not just to fit with the themes of willpower and determination and hope like with Luffy getting stabbed by Crocodile, but also on a spiritual level.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    "Now, that's what I call an idiot", the only fitting response after Chaka's cringey monologue

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    "Now, that's what I call an idiot", the only fitting response after Chaka's cringey monologue
    He said it all for his country though, which Vivi also fought to save.

Guess we kirin betters were knocked down. And here I thought Okami was just a video game.

Foxes/kitsune take such a bigger part of Japanese mythology we don't think of the wolves much (not to mention that the Japanese wolf is now extinct). But they're definitely a part of it. Okami and the wolves of Princess Mononoke showed us that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_wolf#Culture

A fight between female characters that's not that heavily reliant on fanservice, isn't over in a few panels and doesn't undermine the female character's efforts in some way?

Wonderful. I've defended how One Piece has dealt with Nami and Robin and other female characters a whole bunch, but especially in hindsight, starting with Fishman Island things have been generally worse.

But if there is one character that deserves a proper fight, it is Robin.

Of course, it's entirely possible she'll just one-shot Black Maria next time we switch to her fight, her efforts will be undermined in some way or it'll devolve into a fanservice fest. But I know I at least appreciate this chapter, from her resisting the illusions to her moment with Brook, where there isn't just a perverted punchline or the like.

Same for the entire element of Sanji "leading" Robin there being brought up by Black Maria.

It looks to be just like the Jinbei fight, which I just really appreciated for having set-up, an actual fight and a proper ending to the fight. Post-timeskip OP just doesn't let fights ever breathe that much.

So I hope Robin's fight will be more like Jinbei's and less like Nami's various brief encounters with enemies.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information