• Other

19 20.43%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,019: Heliceratops

Default Chapter 1,019: Heliceratops

Manga Plus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009558
    VIZ Manga: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...12?action=read

Author Comments 7/18/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ings-7-18-2021

Eiichiro Oda

The Universal Studios Japan Premiere Show is back after a yearlong break! The staff is really hyped this year! Please check it out!
    Last edited by Shift; July 18th, 2021 at 09:09 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: Chapter 1,019: Heliceratops

Some thoughts:

Until now, the Franky Shogun was basically unbeatable. Nothing could threaten it, but Sasaki took away that invincibility! Well-done!

I don't think the Franky vs Sasaki fight is over, unlike Jinbe vs Who's Who. Jinbe had no trouble shrugging off Who's Who most powerful attacks before delivering his (seemly) finishing blow.

Not with Franky, who really took a beating there and was forced out of the robot. If Who's Who gets up, Jinbe gets an even easier second round. If Sasaki gets up, Franky will have an even harder time. So, I'm definitely counting on round 2 for this.

As for Yamato stuff, I think the form is cool. Feral and unique enough. But at the same time, the way it was presented feels a little off... I mean, it makes sense that he went hybrid to fight dad, but it happening off-screen and revealed in a chapter unrelated to that fight is strange for a would-be main character. We haven't seen Yamato fighting for real in normal mode, and now he's already in hybrid. Sorry for Yamato supporters, but it doesn't feel like he's being explored well enough to join the crew.

Instead of seeing Yamato being slowly developed as the focus of some chapters, he is constantly getting info dumps scenes here and there. A lot of "tell", not enough "show". And still lacking depth.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

That was a damn good chapter and a great fight for Franky. Having the shogun beat only for him to get in on the action is great. Yamato's fruit is what people expected and I'm with it. Looks like a mink in Sulong almost.

edit: On second look it doesn't look like a byakko. I'm sure there's been plenty of discussion about what it actually is.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Some thoughts:

Until now, the Franky Shogun was basically unbeatable. Nothing could threaten it, but Sasaki took away that invincibility! Well-done!

I don't think the Franky vs Sasaki fight is over, unlike Jinbe vs Who's Who. Jinbe had no trouble shrugging off Who's Who most powerful attacks before delivering his (seemly) finishing blow.

Not with Franky, who really took a beating there and was forced out of the robot. If Who's Who gets up, Jinbe gets an even easier second round. If Sasaki gets up, Franky will have an even harder time. So, I'm definitely counting on round 2 for this.

As for Yamato stuff, I think the form is cool. Feral and unique enough. But at the same time, the way it was presented feels a little off... I mean, it makes sense that he went hybrid to fight dad, but it happening off-screen and revealed in a chapter unrelated to that fight is strange for a would-be main character. We haven't seen Yamato fighting for real in normal mode, and now he's already in hybrid. Sorry for Yamato supporters, but it doesn't feel like he's being explored well enough to join the crew.

Instead of seeing Yamato being slowly developed as the focus of some chapters, he is constantly getting info dumps scenes here and there. A lot of "tell", not enough "show". And still lacking depth.
    I'm assuming Sasaki is out due to that line about Franky having "finished him off countless times". That reeks of Oda not wanting to extend the fight and telling the audience "it was awesome, I swear!".

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Manga Plus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009558
    VIZ Manga: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...12?action=read

Author Comments 7/18/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ings-7-18-2021

Eiichiro Oda

https://de7i3bh7bgh0d.cloudfront.net...iichirooda.jpg

The Universal Studios Japan Premiere Show is back after a yearlong break! The staff is really hyped this year! Please check it out!
    Anyway we can add a poll to what Yamato's df is? I think it'd be a fun experience.

As for the chapter. Very solid.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Fight looked great and I’ll say what I said about who’s who. This didn’t seem like a big finish either. I’m expecting some sort of awakening from Who and Sasaki to turn the tides. These don’t seem like how fights should end.

Yamato looks cool, I’m expecting more on Kaido and his relationship though. Hopefully Oda will give us that in the next chapter

Franky should have unlocked haki by now
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Lie turns into reality Tabasco Boshi's Avatar

I really wanted Franky to be forced to leave the Shogun but only for the final shot? I want to see Franky fight by himself. I assume it's over because I don't see him getting more screentime, sadly. Hoping to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    Anyway we can add a poll to what Yamato's df is? I think it'd be a fun experience.

As for the chapter. Very solid.
    All done, up there now.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

It is hard to tell due to Yamato's hybrid form but I would assume it is some mythological Japanese creature because this is Wano and the one that seems most likely to me is the Kirin.

Thank You!

I'm gonna throw my change into the Kasha stock.

I really enjoyed the Sasaki vs Franky match. It had a good balance of wacky and serious in it. However, it did leave me wanting more.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

I have no idea of what Yamato's fruit is.

But I don't think it is:

- Byakko: No tiger features at all. No stripes, looks more like a fox or deer-like head, ears are not feline at all.
    - Kirin: No hooves, no scales (thought kirin does not always have them), the horns do not seem to come from the animal form, but her natural human form. So maybe she's intended to look a bit like a kirin, while not being exactly one.

It seems to be some kind of chimera with fire powers, but it's hard to tell what it is. I don't know enough about eastern chimeric beings.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Also, in the Where's Waldo spread, it is interesting that Haccha the Number 8 has normal skin while all the other Numbers are rainbow-colored. It does feel like he's completely out of place.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, it's funny that Jack is still pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    All done, up there now.
    I wonder if we could add polls regularly to the official chapter thread? There's usually one major point being discussed in the spoiler section (and if it's only the cliffhanger of the week).

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

I have no idea of what Yamato's fruit is.

But I don't think it is:

- Byakko: No tiger features at all. No stripes, looks more like a fox or deer-like head, ears are not feline at all.
    - Kirin: No hooves, no scales (thought kirin does not always have them), the horns do not seem to come from the animal form, but her natural human form. So maybe she's intended to look a bit like a kirin, while not being exactly one.

It seems to be some kind of chimera with fire powers, but it's hard to tell what it is. I don't know enough about eastern chimeric beings.
    Replying to the bolded, the name Byakko commonly translates to "White Tiger". However, Byakko also means "White Fox".

So Yamato's DF could be the Inu Inu no Mi - Model: Byakko (White Fox)

I myself think its a chimera-like creature with elements of a big cat, fox and possibly Kirin. I like to go with Kirin/Qilin, namely because it goes well with the mythology regarding this legendary creature.

My choices are:

Cat Cat Fruit - Model: Bakeneko (Kasha themed)
    Dog Dog Fruit - Model: Byakko *White Fox*
    Horse Horse Fruit - Model: Qilin

Im even considering a Rabbit class fruit - the Moon Rabbit model.

Its to note that the Qilin is also described to have a coat of fur with a pattern that can resemble scales.

Sasaki turning into a helicopter is one of those things you didn't know you needed in your life, well done Oda

The more I read it the more I like this chapter. Quick good fight, funny like all Franky fights should be. He managed to show of both his robot and himself, and ending it with the radical beam was great.

As for Yamato I voted Raiju, for two reasons.
    1. That'd make him a dog-like creature which would fill in the Momotaro references nicely.
    2. His appearance feels like a mixture between canine, feline and even some deer features. And if good ol' wikipedia can be trusted a Raiju has enough variation in appearance that it'd be justified.

Biggest points against it is a Raiju is a lightning creature and it rather looks like he has flames. If it wasn't for point 1 I'd have voted Kasha. It could work out though if it's storm clouds or just a fancy ornamental design.
    That said it wouldn't surprise me if he's something else entirely.

Kirin is another one I like.

The colorspread looks really neat.

The rest of the chapter is quite lame, compared to the Jimbei one.

The Franky fight was not cool at all. I assume a Triceratops (one of my favorite dinos as kid) turning into a helicopter was supposed to be funny, but I didn´t smile once.
    The finishing sequence of Franky seeing the incoming enemy -> being hit -> magically appearing outside of his armor, prepping the laser, could have been cooler.
    Like, Franky in the incoming drawing would scream "General!..." and then "...Dump!" as he appears below.

Finally, Yamato fights...not, they just swing their bats a bit, the dialogue is awkward and her mixed Zoan form looks even worse than that of Kaido.
    EDIt: Looks like an arctic fox or something, no idea, not accustomed to asian mythical beasts.

I hope the quality returns to #1018 level in #1020 and I get to see Robin in action next.
    Last edited by Nubtro; July 18th, 2021 at 10:21 AM.

I'm calling either a Kirin/Qilin or a Nine-Tailed Fox.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

"The qilin is depicted throughout a wide range of Chinese art, sometimes with parts of their bodies on fire. On occasion, they will have feathery features or decorations, fluffy curly tufts of hair, as depicted in Ming Dynasty horse art on various parts of the legs, from fetlocks to upper legs, or even with decorative fish-like fins as embellishments, or carp fish whiskers, or scales."

Qilin are also supposed to represent virtues and protection, something which seems to fit Yamato quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I'm calling either a Kirin/Qilin or a Nine-Tailed Fox.
    Nine-Tailed Fox already went to Catarina Devon

I think right now I like the theory that Yamato is one of those fox statues at the entrance of Onigashima the most, but the ears are nothing alike. Every option listed in the poll has some overlap with Yamato but nothing fits well, and Greg's comment implied that whatever he really is isn't currently a popular theory, so I'll go with "other".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information