• Fox

9 9.68%
  • Other

19 20.43%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,019: Heliceratops

Default Re: Chapter 1,019: Heliceratops

When the warlords were introduced they were the strongest pirates we knew of. The Strawhats defeated Baroque Works with realitve ease, so you could assume they were "Warlord Level". Like, I know they struggled a bit, but they all had enough strength to find the bomb and defeat fodder after their matches.

CP9 was the secret World Government agency hyped up by Vice Admirals. Those fights are probably the most gag and joke stuffed fights in the series and all Strawhats bar Luffy had enough strength left over to fight off Navy Captains.

I just find it funny that fans seem to have an issue with the Strawhats doing well against an Emperor's crew despite them having difficulty. Luffy has been knocked out 3 times now. Zoro has broke dozens of bones. Sanji was captured and had to cry for help. Nami and Ussop were almost literally murdered and the General has taken the most damage and the Franken sword was destroyed. I just wonder what some fans want or expected from this raid that they aren't getting. I get wanting more pages per scene, but I feel like the difficulty is there and more prevalent than previous arcs except for Sabaody.

I'm definitely leaning Raiju now. Interestingly, the kanji used for Raiju is 雷獣, which is literally "thunder" and "beast." We have actually seen this before in one of Enel's attacks where Oda used these Kanji but wrote out the name of the attack as Kiten. In other words, we've essentially seen one interpretation of how Oda pictures Raiju.

Spoiler:

Jumping on the Kirin wagon.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Default Chapter 1,019: Heliceratops

Quote Originally Posted by Kurloz View Post
    I'm not sure why Greg's word is being given that much weight. Or if he does have insider information about chapters yet to release why he'd be allowed to tease it on forums without getting fired. Hasn't he been flat out wrong about stuff like traitor Kanjuro?
    His most recent tweet pretty much confirms that he knows more than we do. The difference is that Greg doesn't know everything so he also gets to theorize and be wrong about stuff. This could be another case where he just believes his theory about Yamato's Devil Fruit to be confirmed, but he seems to be very confident in what he thinks.

In fact, his comments make me think that there's shapeshifting involved. Was it the Raiju who had those powers? But then there's still the fact that this hybrid form seems to be more fire/flame cloud attuned than lightning.
    Just think about it. Isn't it weird that nobody can agree what animal Yamato is supposed to be? I don't know if the Japanese fanbase is just as confused as we are, but to me that's definitely off. I don't think we have ever had the case that a Zoan ability is so ambiguous
    Last edited by Coookie; July 18th, 2021 at 04:01 PM.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

The official release manages to make the Franky/Sasaki trade off even more funnier lol. But Franky doesnt get his VS chapter yet so I dont think Sasaki is finished here. Sasaki is awesome too!

As for Yamato, ehhh I'll just wait for the reveal. But my Monster Hunter ass couldnt say it is a Kirin, Kirin is supposed to have draconic/thunder power XD
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

I can't believe some wanted Yamato to be a T-Rex, that would've been quite boring, on top of us already having enough dinosaurs as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    It's not just about Haki. It's DF users as well. This is why Nami and Franky not becoming users of either just yet is cool.

I'm not too sure what to make of Sasaki's spinning. Can he really move his body as he please like Kumadori and Lucci do for Seimei Kikan or was that added like Queen's mecha body? Either way, it was entertaining. Good on Oda to bring the humor out, despite making Franky hold the fight down with no story substance or at least a newer move. Just compliments to each other about "resilience". Sasaki carries that fight. Even the cheerleaders in the fight carried more weight than Franky.
    A zoan transformation is literally changing the anatomy of your body, and we've seen that with enough practice you can have some degree of control over how you want it to change such as Chopper's bunch of transformations or Lucci going into a 4th, slim hybrid form to suit his combat needs. This stuff with Sasaki is along those lines imo and mostly similar to Kaku being able to manipulate his body in all kinds of ways like pasta machine. Thats pretty much how I see for an in universe explanation but in reality its probably just something Oda thought was fucking hilarious and cool, and judging by the reception he is right lmao

Why all the hate on Yamato's form? I think their form looks fine, no matter what the DF turns out to be. And this is only their hybrid form, we haven't seen the full beast yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    HA-HA! I was waiting to see if someone would mention that!

Are the chapters being delayed because of the Olympics? My friend seems to think so

also any idea on when we'll get that 50 character color spread?

Helicopter Triceratops is just flat out brilliant. Had to stop reading to collect my wits after seeing it.

Yamato's fruit strikes me as a Kirin, based only on the horns, the whispy mythic flame fur, and the facial profile of a grazing mammal. I think Oda has some leeway in choosing which features to keep, with the Kirin being a mythical creature and all.
    Of course, my evidence is weak so if Yamato ends up being something else, I'm fine with it. The real draw for me is in what sort of supernatural abilities this mythical Zoan fruit provides.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)
    Bond en Avant practices drawing in general

I draw a silly comic about school and life.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    His pride in being one of the flying six kept him from blacking out after the gaoh cannon, and then he says something along the lines of if i'm going down i'm taking you with me. Doesn't sound like i still have more to give mid-point talk to me, so i'm gonna say that he's down for the count
    The more I think about it there's no reason the Flying 6 can't be bat and temporarily knocked out only to get back up minuted or a half hr later like Luffy is allowed to do constantly.

Even Krieg got back up yelling like a mad man after he was K.O'ed.

The way they get down I wouldnt be surprised if some of the Beast Pirates look at things as "I'm not dead so why give up?"
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Discovered Stowaway hideoushorrendous's Avatar

I wish if i could find it entertaining but the spin attack of Sasaki was such a stupid and repetitive design

Oda finishing the tobi robbo so quickly, just what a let down. I found Who'sWho more interesting than 95% of characters appeared post time skip yet he was done in one

And now super Wanda is fighting Kaido, the whole chapter was bad except for short funny moments of Franky.

We're about halfway through volume 101 now and Oda definitely seems to be using this book to wrap up the crew battles and leave only the final round against Kaido for 102. The end is close. And man, people complain about fights being so much offscreen and only getting one chapter, but there were a lot of back and forth action beats in this one chapter alone. I don't feel shortchanged on Franky and Sasaki at all.

The colour spread this week is overshadowed by the absolutely magical Where's Wally crossover (hey has anyone got the full size digital rip of that yet?), but that doesn't mean it's got nothing to offer. The scenario recalls the final part of the escape from Impel Down, but in a much more fun and lighthearted way. I really like Jinbe's kimono and I adore Franky's hair. Definitely a win for Oda.

Apparently the scan version used Triceracopter instead of Heliceratops for the title, and to be honest I don't know which one I prefer. They both sound hilarious.

I think I said in the last discussion thread that I wanted the claw in Queen's hair to be used in battle, and Oda has opened this chapter with exactly what I asked for. I've gone off Sanji as a character in recent years, but I'm looking forward to getting back to this fight.

Luffy's alive again down on the sea, ready to track down Momo and make his way back up. The narration namedrops the submarine being the Polar Tang. I know that came up in an SBS, but is this the first time it's been mentioned in an actual chapter?

There's not much to say about Sasaki's design and powers that isn't just a babbled stream of praise for Oda's creativity and humour. This is possibly the most fun use of a Zoan type since Kaku. The spinning frill absolutely slayed me, and the backwards accelleration gag is gold. It really is just a fun piece of work. Show me the paleontologist who could prove this isn't what dinosaurs actually did. Where's the fossil record? I liked how hard the General Franky was pushed during the fight. It can take serious damage that disables limbs and weapons in a way Oda isn't often willing to do in the human fights. Franky being forced to eject and fight on his own at the end was the right move, making it clear it's Franky very much has his own power, he's not just relying o the robot to fight for him. I wonder if it'll get an upgrade or a redesign when he repairs it?

Kaido's hybrid form is looking good here. The hunched forward pose with the fail whipping around behind him shows it off a lot better than its reveal. I'm not sure what to say about Yamato's new form because I'm not sure what it's meant to represent. Feels like it could be any number mythical things it could be just from what I know, and there's plenty I don't. It's definitely cool looking, but without knowing what it's meant to be, how do you judge whether it achieved that? Hopefully we're not left hanging too long. It's not like Oda to leave contentious details about Yamato up for debate for long periods of time, right? Right...?

So that's chapter 1019. None of the big plot hints of the past two, but it was classic One Piece fun the whole time. It's hard to say where we're going after this. Oda might want to spread the Strawhat climaxes out by doing any number of the other fights waiting to conclude (and even start). Let's look at what we've got to go...

Brook and Robin vs Black Maria
    Sanji vs Queen
    Drake vs Apoo
    Killer vs Hawkins
    Dog vs Jack
    Cat vs Perospero
    Raizo vs Fukurokuju
    Marco vs King
    Law and Kid vs Big Mom

Plus a moment for Zoro now that he's healed and the chopping of Orochi's last head (which I assume Denjiro will take). And probably some kind of conclusion for Kaido and Yamato's fight.

That's 14 conflicts to wrap up (assuming Usopp isn't going to get a moment to himself too) but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll all get their own full chapter. I could see things like the presumed defeats of Marco and Yamato being used as a stinger in someone else's chapter, and Oda could definitely double up some of the Scabbard fights in half a chapter each as well. There's definite potential to wrap up everything except Sanji, Zoro and the clash against Big Mom (and of course the final Kaido clash) in the five chapters left of this volume. But we'll see where Oda takes it.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by BragMan27 View Post
    When the warlords were introduced they were the strongest pirates we knew of. The Strawhats defeated Baroque Works with realitve ease, so you could assume they were "Warlord Level". Like, I know they struggled a bit, but they all had enough strength to find the bomb and defeat fodder after their matches.
    From the warlords we met up to that point and how they were described, it didnt really indicate they had a crew.

Crocodile's BW was described as a collection of infamous ppl not his crew.

So of anything Luffy became warlord level. Not the strawhats. Same thing repeats itself with Moria.

It was only until Dressrosa where I feel you could call the strawhats warlord level cuz Doffy kept his crew intact.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    From the warlords we met up to that point and how they were described, it didnt really indicate they had a crew.

Crocodile's BW was described as a collection of infamous ppl not his crew.

So of anything Luffy became warlord level. Not the strawhats. Same thing repeats itself with Moria.

It was only until Dressrosa where I feel you could call the strawhats warlord level cuz Doffy kept his crew intact.
    For me Luffy became warlord level after the timeskip. Luffy’s fruit quite frankly has been one of the weakest. Its major natural ability is tanking Blunt force. Luffy being the protagonist have found ways to enhance himself in a way that I don’t think was natural to the fruit but it sort of works. His enhancements has made him a good brawler which fits well with his natural tanking ability. Before the timeskip even though he had the two gears, he just didn’t seem like having that warlord wide range damage causing ability to me or that he posed that great threat. I know he beat lucci and Moira but still it just didn’t feel like he had that you know power threat capability. He was running on a lot of hype. The crocodile fight was ridiculous, never liked that fight and I feel like Luffy shouldn’t have won it without haki.

After the timeskip is when I felt that Luffy had actual tangible power, the type of power that goes beyond being the protagonist, power that powerful people in the manga had. Power to take down 50,000 weaklings because you know I’m a big name, yes a warlord level big name.

In my eyes Yamato looks more like a Japanese serow than anything else.
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFWind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    But not all... And dunno if m fitting in OP
    Yeah, you don't.

Follow the rules man, Pokemon and Digimon are cool, we only use Monster Rancher as an offense.

When you update Page One's design properly, but turn Sasaki into a goofy one.
    I can't believe I forgot how goofy Kaku's giraffe was (outside of just shape) until I saw a comment recently comparing the situations...

Yamato's hybrid form looked freakishly weird at first glance, but it's already been growing on me.

If think Yam's a Luck Dragon. Like Falkor.
    White and hairy, checks out for me.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

I am more curious to know why Kaidou wanted that fruit specifically.

What properties could it have that it was that important to him.

I also like Yamato's explanation for staying, he couldn't swim and had unfinished business. A far better excuse than, Queen put explosive cuffs on his hands.

Can't really believe that was the end of Franky's fight. I wonder when the Straw Hats will face an actual challenge in the new world. I loved WCI because it was pure survival mode. Big Mom and her kids felt appropriately terrifying for an emperor.

Now with how the flying six are going down. I can't help but wonder how the beast pirates are a threat to the Marines. Send nearly half the marines and they would absolutely wreck the Beast pirates.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information