+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25

Thread: Live and let die - A Mafia and DnD crossover

Default Re: Live and let die - A Mafia and DnD crossover

Got it!!

Unfortunately, I will need a little time off :D. My brother is having an appendectomy, and I am with him. It's nothing to worry about, thankfully, but I won't have access to my PC for a day or so. We will continue this then. In the meantime, feel free to update the plan if necessary, I have not yet committed anything!

Sorry for the delay and wish us luck! :D
    Will give life altering advice for a cup of frothy cappuccino

Good luck! Looking forward to the conclusion~

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Try: Nap until the Big Try

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Alright, guys, the results are in. Let's see how this tale ends...

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Bon Clay reached the final room. One scary climb left between them and their freedom. As they looked around the cave, they almost felt sad in leaving it, it was a dangerous place, yes, but it is in the depth of fire and brimstone that true friendships are forged.

But could they leave their newfound friends deep in this hell?

Hidden:

Their heart just wasn't in it... they looked at the steep climb, and sure it may have been nothing to them athletically, but without their heart, they just couldn't find it in them to even attempt it.

Bon Clay does not attempt the climb, and loses.

Hidden:

Monet watched as her companions successfully avoid the dragon and reach the last room. She couldn't help but feel relieved, even if she probably would never reach them. It was her plan that lead them to success after all.

Without loosing heart, she decided to give it another go. Odds were against her, but maybe, just maybe she will be able to reach them and with them, escape.

Hidden:

It was a good plan, and she came very close to crossing the peril, but unfortunately, at the last moment, the dragon spotted her, and she was forced back in the earlier room. She was all out of equipment now, and she wouldn't be able to try again. But, she was happy, that at least her friends made it across.

Monet couldn't sneak past the dragon, and loses.
    Hidden:

Hannyabal wasn't sure how to proceed. On one hand, he had an ambition, and he would happily face any adversity to achieve it. But on the other hand... he now had people he cared for. He couldn't just leave by himself and turn his back on everyone else?

Hidden:

In the end, his ambition was too important to him to lose now. With a great roar, he leaped in the air and skipping over stones after stones, reached the top. He turned around to look one last time, and noticed each and everyone of his new friends, happily giving him a thumbs up on his success. He left without shedding a single tear.

Hannyabal successfully escapes the dreaded caverns.

Hidden:

Batman was on unchartered lands here. What was happening? Is this what friendship felt like? He was so used to living alone... that this felt wrong. His heart ached, his eyes were dripping, his legs were somehow weaker. What rubbish was this? Can he just go out now??

Hidden:

Before attempting another bout against the dragon, he took a moment to lean in to these new feelings. Even though his heart ached, it made him smile rather than curse; even though his eyes dripped, it gave him clarity that he never knew before; and even though his legs felt weaker, it also gave him courage to move forward. Okay, maybe he needed to get out of his head, this was getting creepy now...

With thoughts of love and peace, he attempted the crossing, but alas, it was not meant to be.

The dragon had already noticed Monet, and his "maidenly" heart could only think of one thing, to save her. He may have failed to leave the cave, but he succeeded in saving his friend. And at that moment, that was all that matters.

Batman failed to cross the dragon, and was doomed to die along with Monet.

Hidden:

Buggy died.

Hidden:

Yep, he did. My story, my ending.
    Hidden:

Thank you for being my playthings playing everyone.

I hope you had fun. Your honest thoughts on the setup, and how can it be improved will be greatly appreciated!

To start, I'll say I absolutely adored this setup! In my opinion it could function as an entirely new game on its own.

The tension early in the game was so intense. The sense of complete distrust giving way to unshakable camaraderie was a completely unique experience for a mafia game. I think it would work even better with more players.

There are a few things I'm iffy about though:

The mechanics around willpower don't feel like they mesh together well. It was very unclear what kind of actions caused suspicious reads. Starting out with a random amount of willpower was an odd choice given that it's meant to function as a stat determined by your actions. I feel like it would have worked better if everyone started with four willpower, so the suspicious reads each morning could be more reliable and no one goes into the final room with a huge disadvantage that was outside their control.

It might be better to do away with the morning reads completely and implement an investigation action that's a willpower contest. The results could be uncertain if the target wins or show the guilt level of the target if the user wins.

And my final critique is about the last two rooms. It was initially confusing and stalled the momentum. Our limited opportunities and each failure being penalized led to a lack of experimentation, which slowed things even further. In the end, it also feels like it was still mostly down to luck. You can try to be clever, but a few unlucky rolls means failure and lost willpower. This all ends up being compounded in the last room. A loss of willpower can make the final climb hopeless. If I'm reading the formula correctly, the odds for the climb are 50% at best. It's a little disheartening to know you could play perfectly, make it to the end with 5 willpower, and still lose to a coin flip.
    Last edited by Xasy; September 6th, 2021 at 07:33 PM. Reason: being able to edit posts is nice
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 she/her 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Those are some very solid critiques Xasy! You are absolutely right. To be honest I was NOT expecting that you will all play good guys, and I think the setup was not ready for that either.

Live and learn though, maybe if there is a next time, these issues can be ironed out.

Well, first off, I confess. I was the one who killed Ussop! I wanted to try to play scummy, though I kept digging my hole in making me more suspicious. I was hoping to kill more once my willpower went up too. AKA evil Nami!

As for the game, it was really enjoyable! Though I wish I understood how the stats worked more, but that's my fault, as I didn't think about it coming into play much; especially with being scummy. If I knew better, I could have fooled more of ya!

For improvement, I think maybe for rolls we can skip the negative numbers and have it sorta like in actual D&D with a natural one being bad and a natural 20 being distant completion? I also think stats could be a bit higher than going up to 5. Also, I wouldn't mind a selection of options to choose from, as I didn't understood much on what to do for my night action. And of course have our own to add to that list. also, have willpower the same for everyone, that could work too. Besides that, this was really fun, and I hope to play for the sequel!

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

My initial stats involved 5 Willpower and decently high Perception and Athletics but no Stealth, so I decided to double down and entered the game with 5/5/0/5/5 as a "paragon" run. With my high willpower, though, I kind of wish I had a setup where I could kill someone.

Xasy already covered most of my thoughts too, but I'll add that it rarely felt like there was any incentive to kill another player. In fact, it often felt like the opposite what with Queen falling to the lowest climbing score earlier. So I'd suggest increasing the temptation to kill another player in a future version, as well as increased incentive to remove a murderous player beyond general trustworthiness.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information