+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Live and let die - A Mafia and DnD crossover

Default Re: Live and let die - A Mafia and DnD crossover

Uh oh.

Quote Originally Posted by SkullJoke View Post
    Try: Sneak across the ridge
    You slowly and quietly move towards the ridge, eyes fixed on the great beast, ready to take action if you detect even the slightest of movements. Thankfully, everything seemed calm, and you proceed onwards.

You keep moving, and as you come closer to the dragon, you realize just how big and strong the creature really is, if awakened, you will have no chance of survival. The realization of what's at stake hits you at that moment, and you start to feel a little sick. This was too much, a single mistake, and you are gone. Fear started to make its way in your heart, and your steps felt heavier. You took a little break, you needed it. You started to take deep breaths to calm your nerves. As you started to recover, suddenly you felt a gust of wind as the dragon moved, perhaps it was waking up, perhaps it was just shifting its position... Either way, you are not taking any chances, you bolted back to the clearing, and jumped to safety.

You have failed your first attempt. Everyone take -1 damage to willpower.
    Last edited by kmohyudin; August 29th, 2021 at 11:13 PM. Reason: -1 damage, is that double negative?
    Will give life altering advice for a cup of frothy cappuccino

Guys, I have to go for a while, but will be back in about 12 or so hours. Since there are only 8 hours left in the day, I have decided to further extend it by 12 hours.

You now have 20 hours remaining from this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbycide View Post
    Alright. For those of you with the crafting skills, I suggest that you get to crafting.

Make some moss moccasins, and ivy ropes, and moss-ivy-coal smoke bombs. Can we perhaps rig up a mechanism for dropping rubble and rocks through the horizontal crack onto the path below, as a distraction?

Then, when the time is right, we have the athletic types trigger the distractions and smoke bombs, while the stealthy types lead the way out.

Sound like a plan?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

We could use these to hold rubble and rocks in the horizontal crack until they are knocked loose.
    Try: Wrapping chunks of coal with moss and ivy. (Enough for each of us to have several pieces if possible)

I love the plan to stuff the rubble into the crack, but I think we can improve on it.

Instead of having our athletic players trigger it and run, we could have them break some coal into much smaller pieces and create a trail from the crack leading to the exit. We'll prop up the rubble with the poles and torches as you suggested, and we can light the coal trail from the exit to create a fuse. We quietly start down the path after igniting it, leaving one person at the beginning of the ridge to watch the fuse. As soon as the wood holding up the rumble catches fire, they'll signal the rest of us by throwing their smoke bomb into the magma before starting down the path with the rest of us. The three on the ridge will all stop and drop our smoke bombs into the magma below, which will briefly alert the dragon and have it looking in our direction. The smoke and our coal stealth boost should cover us long enough for the first support holding up the rubble to break, which will send the dragon looking towards the other path while we finish making our escape.

Quote Originally Posted by SkullJoke View Post
    The exit from the other path being accessible suggests that we can cause a diversion on that path. How we do so is less clear. I cant fathom a way to make a loud noise or explosion with what we have. Any chemists can think of a combustion reaction we can cause? We have quartz and coal. And magma available.

With stat boosts, my stealth is 5, willpower is 3. Unless the stealth threshold is 10, even a +1 roll will get me across. So I will attempt to cross the ridge and maybe I will find something of use there.

Try: Sneak across the ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggy
    There are various ways you can move through the room. Just moving ahead will get you def killed. So, for example you can move with stealth, etc. Anyway, this is a pretty open scenario, I have tried to describe everything that is available as much as I can, and you can use it however you want, in order to move through safely.

I have deliberately chosen not to give you a simple, yeah do this, and let the odds decide, method. Be creative in how you will face the adversary, and I will be here, running the numbers....
    Based on what Buggy has said, we're not going to get through this based purely on our stats.

We only have three more attempts at this. Lets not waste them.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 she/her 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Try: Break some of the coal into small pieces/powder

Sounds like a great plan, Snowy-girl. Let's start putting it together.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

I'm still having some trouble grasping the situation but I think this sounds like a good plan? The lookout probably needs to be perceptive and fast and I think I fit the bill on both counts.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Xasy View Post
    Try: Wrapping chunks of coal with moss and ivy.
    Okay

Try: Loosely lodge rubble and rocks in the horizontal crack with spent torches

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbycide View Post
    Try: Loosely lodge rubble and rocks in the horizontal crack with spent torches
    Done.

It's now night.

Everyone gets -1 to perception, +1 to stealth. Day will begin in 24 hours.

You can continue to talk here, as well as perform night actions.

It's now day

You have 48 hours to exit the dungeon, or else it's game over.

Buggy: What you need a narrative reason for that? Hmm... well, I guess the Dragon is going to wake up, and follow you to wherever you are. There, done! Gyahahahahaha

U up?
    Last edited by Huschel; September 3rd, 2021 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Still dead over here

How original is it to still have this in my signature 5 years later?

Well, we don't have long before we die so I guess I'll attempt our plan:

I begin to make the last of our preparations before we attempt to cross the ridge. I instruct Batman and Bon Clay to to continue the coal trail, making a second fuse leading from the crack in the wall down into the small cavern where Batman found the coal. Breaking apart the wooden chest we make a pile of wood at the end of the fuse.

If everything goes as planned, the fuse will be lit from the exit of the room. The fuse will travel to the crack we've packed with rubble and held up with torches, burning the torches and causing the rubble to collapse. Hopefully this will distract the dragon down towards the other path while the fuse continues down towards the coal room. If it works as intended, the coal powder in the cavern should cause an explosion, distracting the dragon further and potentially knocking down the loose rocks above the ridge, cutting off the dragon's ability to pursue us.

I lead Batman and Bon Clay out onto the ridge. We creep quietly, using the coal to blend in against the walls. Hannyabal lights the coal powder fuse and keeps watch as we progress. As the flames begin to lick at the bottom of the torches, Hannyabal gives the rest of us our signal. He throws the first smoke bomb into the magma, and the rest of us throw ours in turn. Intoxicating smoke rises from the magma as the dragon begins to wake. Hannyabal rushes to catch up with us, and the torches underneath the rubble seem to give way. None of us can hear whether the the rocks crumbled the way we wanted. From our position, the sound is completely blocked out by the dragon's deafening roar. We can only run and hope that all our efforts have paid off.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 she/her 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Busier than expected the last couple days, sorry for the absence!

Let’s get out of here, friends. The exit is in sight.

Okay, the plan is submitted. Just need everyone to sign off to continue.

Better than my idea of pushing someone in and running across during the chaos.

Let's a go!

Try: Following Monet's plan

Hidden:
    ( I also apologize for my unexplained absence, I had a very overwhelming start to this week. I did peek in once on a while, but I didn't have much time or willpower to sit down and try to formulate a new plan)

Quote Originally Posted by kmohyudin View Post
    yes you are.

Just moving ahead will get you def killed. So, for example you can move with stealth, etc. Anyway, this is a pretty open scenario, I have tried to describe everything that is available as much as I can, and you can use it however you want, in order to move through safely.
    I have deliberately chosen not to give you a simple, yeah do this, and let the odds decide, method. Be creative in how you will face the adversary, and I will be here, running the numbers....

Yeah, suppose you come up with a way, you give it a shot and fail at the calculation. Like try moving stealthily, but fail. That would be one try. You will all lose one point in willpower and can try again, instead of dying outright. Calculation wont be done as a group, but rather with whoever attempts it.

I encourage you to read through the description, and think of what ways you can get across.
    With the abundant coal that was emphasized to help with stealth, the additional stealth boost of night, and the above quote, I believed stealth is meant to play an important role in getting past the dragon. The quote suggests it is possible to sneak by the Dragon. I believe I may have simply failed my roll, and, had I succeeded, may have found some more useful materials. A roll of +1 wouldve got me 9.8, and anything higher would be over 10, so I had at best a 50% chance of crossing.

There seems to be athletic challenges ahead of the dragon too, I believe he mentioned difficult jumps way up by the exit. We might want to bring along anything that can help us, such as the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegadesoul View Post
    THE HOGYOKU TROLLED AIZEN IN THE END, its a FITTING TRAGIC yet a bit COMIC PSEUDO ENDING FOR HIM.

Alright, with everyone signing off, the plan has been put in motion. For detailed results, please see:

Hidden:

Action Actor Stat Threshold Score Result
    Try: Returning down the tunnel we came from to collect wooden spears from the spike traps and moss from the walls. Monet Athletics 4 4.01 Success
    Try: Wrapping chunks of coal with moss and ivy. Monet Craft 2 3.72 Success
    Try: Break some of the coal into small pieces/powder Bon Clay Craft 2 2.07 Success
    Try: Loosely lodge rubble and rocks in the horizontal crack with spent torches Bon Clay Craft 2 2.92 Success
    Try: Continue the coal trail Bon Clay Craft 2 3.45 Success
    Try: Continue the coal trail Batman Craft 2 4.51
    Try: Making a second fuse leading from the crack in the wall down into the small cavern where Batman found the coal Monet Craft 2 4.92 Success
    Try: Breaking apart the wooden chest we make a pile of wood at the end of the fuse Monet Craft 2 4.74 Success
    Try: Sneak on ridge Monet Stealth 5 9.49 Success
    Try: Sneak on ridge Bon Clay Stealth 5 3.83 Failure
    Try: Sneak on ridge Batman Stealth 5 7 Success
    Try: Light the coal powder fuse Hannyabal Craft 3 2.86 Failure
    Try: Smoke bomb Hannyabal Craft 3 4.56 Success
    Try: Smoke bomb Monet Craft 3 4.93 Success
    Try: Smoke bomb Bon Clay Craft 3 2.12 Failure
    Try: Rushing towards Monet, Bon Clay, and Batman Hannyabal Athletics 5 6.12 Success
    Try: Running to the next room Monet Athletics 7 3.44 Failure
    Try: Running to the next room Bon Clay Athletics 7 7.83 Success
    Try: Running to the next room Batman Athletics 7 3.64 Failure
    Try: Running to the next room Hannyabal Athletics 7 10.32 Success

* Successful actions during escape attempt would lower the threshold for the last sprint, total actual deduction = 3.0.

Bottom line, Buggy, Bon Clay, and Hannyabal have made it into the next room. Unfortunately, Monet and Batman were not successful. The predominant reason being that the last action was an athletic check. Further unfortunately, those that have reached the next room did not bring any items with them to help the others in any way. Tomorrow we will run the final willpower test to see who exits. The threshold will be 5, the formula will be:

score = willpower + willpower * random[-1.6 to 1.6]

If Monet and Batman want, they can try a new strategy in 24 hours, otherwise, they will be presumed dead.

Do let me know if you spot any mistakes, or have any questions.

Just to be clear, some of these were dependent activities. For example, since Bon Clay failed to sneak on the ridge, their smoke bomb attempt was given a much lower random factor and they failed there as well.

I tried to incorporate every subjective term (like distraction) in the calculation, which to be frank was a really fun exercise. I feel pretty good about the fairness of the results, but again, if there are any questions, feel free to ask away!

Questions: Where are Monet and I starting from? Do we need to pass the dragon again?

And what are my current stats, particularly willpower?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegadesoul View Post
    THE HOGYOKU TROLLED AIZEN IN THE END, its a FITTING TRAGIC yet a bit COMIC PSEUDO ENDING FOR HIM.

Yes, you both are back in the room just before the area with the dragon. You can try to pass the dragon again.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Can Bon Clay and I examine this next room to see if there's anything we can use to help?

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

It's a large room, but nothing in it is of particular interest. There is a very small hole leading to the area where Batman and Monet are. You remember this as the small window you used to watch this room, but it's too small to pass any item through though.

There is also the exit from the dungeon. It's high up, and the rocks leading up to it seem extremely dangerous to climb. You will need very high willpower to even attempt to climb to the top.

Other than these, there is nothing else of note.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information