+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,018: Jinbe Vs. Who's-Who

Default Chapter 1,018: Jinbe Vs. Who's-Who

Manga Plus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009557
    VIZ Manga: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...73?action=read

Author Comments 7/04/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/mangaka-musings-7-4-2021

Eiichiro Oda

Currently doing a campaign to thank everyone. Thanks for having me in Jump and thanks for reading the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchInformer
    Break by Oda-sensei
    Break by Magazine
    Break by Magazine

Expect Break by Oda-sensei after 1022 or 1023.
    Last edited by Shift; July 4th, 2021 at 10:26 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: Chapter 1,018: Jinbe Vs. Who's-Who

Some thoughts after reading the chapter a few times:

- It all but confirms that Tekkai is an application of Armament Haki, as Who's Who's body turns black when he announces Tekkai.

- Like I commented last week, Who's Who did not feel like a match for Jinbe, and he wasn't. Jinbe utterly destroys him. I'm still waiting Jinbe to fight a commander in Act 4, be it Jack or Smoothie.

- I don't think Who's Who role in the arc is over, but he sure isn't getting up to fight Jinbe anymore.

- Last chapter, everyone was assuming Who's Who was in Impel Down level 6 and escaped during the mass breakout caused by Luffy. That was when he would have seen Jinbe. However, the prison was never named, a guard talking about slave myths seems awkward, and Who's Who revealed he escaped by himself. Was Who's Who imprisoned in Mary Geoise, since that's Cipher Pol's main headquarters?

- Sun God Nika seems like a hook for the Mary Geoise arc I've been expecting to follow Wano. Hancock's capture, Slavery, the Revolutionaries and the Cipher Pols would be big in it, and maybe Nika is the reason Fisher Tiger named his crew the Sun Pirates? Man, I'm now hoping for a Hancock flashback featuring other slaves like Koala and Tiger.

- I guess we will get a small Jinbe/Who's Who scene at the start of next chapter that will cap this fight off. Like when Zoro stopped to talk to Kaku after their fight. Let's see if any more talk/hints/foreshadowing comes out of it.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

The face Jinbro makes when he mentions that god makes it seem like he does in fact know about it, and that it was in part calling on the name of that god that made him snap. I reckon you could be right that he meant something to Fisher

Dont think the fight is over, didnt seem like an ending to me

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Dont think the fight is over, didnt seem like an ending to me
    I dunno, Who's Who was completely outmatched, and that big panel punch at the end felt like a finisher to me.

I don't think Who's Who is out of the arc, but I don't expect him to keep fighting Jinbe anymore.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post

- It all but confirms that Tekkai is an application of Armament Haki, as Who's Who's body turns black when he announces Tekkai.

- Like I commented last week, Who's Who did not feel like a match for Jinbe, and he wasn't. Jinbe utterly destroys him. I'm still waiting Jinbe to fight a commander in Act 4, be it Jack or Smoothie.

- I don't think Who's Who role in the arc is over, but he sure isn't getting up to fight Jinbe anymore.

- Last chapter, everyone was assuming Who's Who was in Impel Down level 6 and escaped during the mass breakout caused by Luffy. That was when he would have seen Jinbe. However, the prison was never named, a guard talking about slave myths seems awkward, and Who's Who revealed he escaped by himself. Was Who's Who imprisoned in Mary Geoise, since that's Cipher Pol's main headquarters?

- Sun God Nika seems like a hook for the Mary Geoise arc I've been expecting to follow Wano. Hancock's capture, Slavery, the Revolutionaries and the Cipher Pols would be big in it, and maybe Nika is the reason Fisher Tiger named his crew the Sun Pirates? Man, I'm now hoping for a Hancock flashback featuring other slaves like Koala and Tiger.

- I guess we will get a small Jinbe/Who's Who scene at the start of next chapter that will cap this fight off. Like when Zoro stopped to talk to Kaku after their fight. Let's see if any more talk/hints/foreshadowing comes out of it.
    I would guess he somehow caught a glimpse of Jinbei when he was a Warlord and they were gathered at Mariejois for whatever reason.

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Ouch, Whos Who having his finger broken/bend during his Finger Pistol attack, looked painful. Pretty cool villain though, so I hope he's not out yet, especially if he's supposed to be on Lucci's level.

Nikai=Joy Boy?

....Nah.

I dunno, Who's Who was completely outmatched, and that big panel punch at the end felt like a finisher to me.

I don't think Who's Who is out of the arc, but I don't expect him to keep fighting Jinbe anymore.
    Weve seen attacks much fiercer from Jinbe than this. This was a strong attack yes, but im expecting the ancient zoan user to get back up.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Also, is there something in July-August that's like a holiday in Japan to merit WSJ having breaks so quickly inbetween?

If Ulti can get up after being hit by Big Mom's attack so can Who Who. (Unless an Ancient Cat Zoan does not have the durability of an Ancient Dragon.)

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Also, is there something in July-August that's like a holiday in Japan to merit WSJ having breaks so quickly inbetween?
    Olympics I guess? The four Magazine breaks I know is Golden Week, Obon, Christmas and New Year.

I wonder if WhosWho stronger than Vergo was or if actually Vergo would be a match for Jinbei strength and CoA haki.

Seems like next chapter WhosWho mask will be shown broken and within chapter or two CP0 will aim at finishing WhosWho and maybe also Jinbei.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Weve seen attacks much fiercer from Jinbe than this. This was a strong attack yes, but im expecting the ancient zoan user to get back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    If Ulti can get up after being hit by Big Mom's attack so can Who Who. (Unless an Ancient Cat Zoan does not have the durability of an Ancient Dragon.)
    Getting up? I think Who's Who's totally capable of that. Keep fighting Jinbe? That's what I doubt will happen.

Ulti got up, yes, but she learned that fighting Big Mom was a terrible idea and went after weaker opponents.

No way Who's Who should be down for good given how much Ulti could take (also the CP0 stuff has to be resolved now anyhow), but it's also clear that he busts out something new that he is no match for Jinbe. Great fight chapter overall, makes me more hyped to see the other fights, particularly Robin's.

Yep, I know the Vivre Cards said this, but it was nice to get confirmation with my own eyes within the manga itself.

I'm still waiting Jinbe to fight a commander in Act 4, be it Jack or Smoothie.
    My bet is CP-0. After all, they should soon make sure WW is dead. Maybe Jinbe won't like that.

NOT EVEN CLOSE, SIR!

Getting up? I think Who's Who's totally capable of that. Keep fighting Jinbe? That's what I doubt will happen.

Ulti got up, yes, but she learned that fighting Big Mom was a terrible idea and went after weaker opponents.
    If CP0 is indeed going to aim for Who's Who, then Jinbe is fighting or confronting them next.

Oda already started this Nika plotline with Jinbe being involved, so he might as well go to the end with it. CP0 is the next logical step after a disgraced CP9 agent.

Plus, who better than Jinbe to fight the World Nobles' agents?

I saw a lot of discussion about Tama's ability. While I understand how some people are uncomfortable with it, the brainwashing idea never even occurred to me. I saw her ability as instant taming not brainwashing.

The fight was great, its length was fine as well. The CP-0 guy implying that Who's Who wouldn't be a match for Jinbe did kill the tension a little but tension hasn't really been this arc's big strength (or post-timeskip OP's strength in general to be honest). Still it worked beautifully to showcase Jinbe's abilities and his personality.

Really enjoyed this one. The fight felt intense, the discrimination angle gave it some extra oomph, two interesting styles to see go head to head, and just some sorely needed real action for Jinbe.

I guess we'll cross the Gomu Gomu no Mi being important bridge when we come to it, for now all we can tell is it was being guarded and Who's Who was imprisoned for a long time. Other than that, we're just left to assume.
    I can deal with the fruit being important, but I don't want it to be one of the best fruits. To me that gets rid of the whole underdog angle that this series has had for many of its arcs.

CP0 was very interesting this chapter. "His information is outdated so it doesn't matter if he leaks it?" Hmmm.
    But they'll still kill him anyway. Also, "It doesn't matter to us who wins?" Vegapunk's new invention must be insanely powerful.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    If CP0 is indeed going to aim for Who's Who, then Jinbe is fighting or confronting them next.

Oda already started this Nika plotline with Jinbe being involved, so he might as well go to the end with it. CP0 is the next logical step after a disgraced CP9 agent.
    Considering it's related to slavery, I feel "Sun God Nika" will be a long-term plot and not something that's being solved this arc. I consider it a hook for a salve-centric storyline later.

Plus, who better than Jinbe to fight the World Nobles' agents?
    There's Robin as well.

Considering how much CP-0 has been a factor since Dressrosa, I think that story will be carried over to next arc, which I expect to be Mary Geoise. There we can find all kinds of slavery, Revolutionary and CP-0 goodness.

Interesting wording choice between the different translations.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information