+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,018: Jinbe Vs. Who's-Who

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Default Re: Chapter 1,018: Jinbe Vs. Who's-Who

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    To be honest I wish the cycle ends with Luffy. And if there has to be any spinnoffs or whatnot, it'd be in the past. Like in the void century. I just don't want One Piece to turn into Naruto
    Oh, I don't think (=I don't hope) there will be any sequels/spinoffs. But One Piece is about being adventurous and learning about yourself by travelling the world. So One Piece has to end on a high adventurous note. And since by then Luffy would've already seen all there is to see, the only option is for him to play Shanks for a new kid and tell him to go chase his dream out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    The WG would need time to prepare against Dragon, just like they needed time to prepare for Newgate.
    First off, we don't know Sabo's status. He may have escaped. I don't expect a new Ace happening, and, if it happened, he would be moved to New Marineford, not Mary Geoise.

What I'm expecting is Hancock's capture and she being brought to Mary Geoise after her secret is ousted.

The government has no idea that Hancock is important to Luffy. Even if Koby somehow finds out, I see him more willing to keep the info to himself.

So, Luffy goes for Hancock, and Sabo/Vivi may still involved somehow, but not in an Ace-like manner in which a trap is set to capture whoever comes for them.

And two big arcs in a row isn't usual either.
    I don't think Mary Geoise will be a big arc. I'm actually expecting a short one (akin to Punk Hazard), that leads to a bigger one (Vegapunk).

The Straw Hats get in and out. In the process they find info that is important, meet Bonney and the Revolutionaries, fight Cipher Poll Aegis, cause ruckus by releasing slaves, and escape before the full mighty of the WG assembles.

Then the info they get set them on to Vegapunk's lab to save Kuma or whatever.

Shanks would take whatever task Luffy would wanted to, and go and die(as it expected anyways), right after Shanks death, and Sabo's squeduled execution, Hancock slavery resumed and whatever trouble Vivi is in, it'll be about enough time for Luffy to complete the journey, and with Robin revealing the whole mess of a world the CD's made during the Void Century, Luffy would finally have all the good reasoning to invade Mariejoa, and make perfect narrative sense, unlike what you're proposing right there..
    Luffy would never let down a friend under those circunstances just to fulfill his ambitions. That's just not who Luffy is. He doesn't need to learn the ancient history to have a reason to go to Mary Geoise, he already has his friends in need.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by flandrian15 View Post
    I always understood bounties as the threat level someone poses to the World Government or the marines or both. Since we don't know all the reasons the WG gives bounties we can therefor not conclude anything from the amount of a bounty. not strengthwize, not plotwize, not whether someone's a friend or an enemy, ...

In the narrative they mean nothing. Therefor their hype is misplaced.
    The level of threat carries a level of power that the person has to resist the government's attacks.

While not every high bounty means high power, there's a correlation more often than not.

And hype is hype. It's very real. People got hyped with Jack's bounty. They got hyped with Katakuri's bounty. It's through bounties we know characters like Smoothie are strong despite never seeing her do anything. You may not like that it creates hype, but that doesn't change the fact that it does.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Isn't it obvious that JOYBOY is the Nika.

I mean, its there in the name. Joy boy, someone that brings joy. Nika, "god" that brings joy.

How is this not obvious???

Guys, watch this video.

Apparently, Joy Boy is a west african myth, It also touches on Smiles.

Very fascinating.
    Where are you getting that Nika is a god that brings joy? Is that cuz he frees slaves/prisoners? I missed when it was said he specifically did that.

To me he was just posed as a mythical sun god that was a savior to the enslaved.

Dunno if I'm on board the Joyboy is Nika train.

I'll watch the vid later though.

Quote Originally Posted by Piitan View Post
    Pure speculation ahead:
    It may be that the factions of the Void Conflict are only two: moonies and earthers. Once the WG did what it did, coming together as the controlling entity we see it today, most of the moonies were exterminated, driven off, and/or enslaved.
    At this point a new figure arises. A freer of slaves. Someone so charming and positive to be seen as beyond both the mentality of moonies and earthers. Hence he earns the epithet of Sun God. He's not Joy Boy (who being a D. is most likely a moonie), but someone either:
    of hybrid descend, containing in his lineage only the best of winged and wing-less people;
    or of an altogether different origin, perhaps an alien even to the aliens that used to live on the Moon.
    Yeah so.ething along these lines is where I'm leaning.

A sort of two factions thing with a possible third party thrown in the mix which would make Im the modern day version of one side, Luffy another, and Blackbeard the last.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Nika could easily be Joy Boy, but also as easily not. We don't know. Maybe they're just from the same place? The same "pantheon" if you will?

I’d say Nika is a slave myth born out of ancient knowledge about Joyboy. Over time, Joyboy was forgotten and Nika remained.

The myth may have sprung from things slaves heard from their Celestial Dragon masters.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    A lot actually, two isn't even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piitan View Post
    Apollo, Phoebus, Aegletes , Helius , Lyceus, Phanaeus, Sol, etc.

And this is just looking at the Greek interpretation, without taking into consideration the Roman side.
    Well I guess we're splitting hairs between mythical legend and religious deity.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I’d say Nika is a slave myth born out of ancient knowledge about Joyboy. Over time, Joyboy was forgotten and Nika remained.

The myth may have sprung from things slaves heard from their Celestial Dragon masters.
    Its possible but as of now it sounds like Joyboy and Nika did two different things.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post

Its possible but as of now it sounds like Joyboy and Nika did two different things.
    Nika sounds like a myth, a belief not based on actual facts. He’s a god that one day will cone to release the slaves.

Joyboy was a real person, or the title of a real person.

That’s how I interpret it. Maybe Nika was the name of (a) Joyboy, and later became a myth. Or maybe Nika is just a fabrication of slaves not based on a real person.

We're about to reach 110 capters of this arc, it'll be great if we keep focused on the fights so by the time we reach 120 chapters, we're almost done with most villains.

I expect the Calamities to stand the longest, so until everyone else is down, they'll be fine.

I'm still feeling confident that Yamato/Kaido flashback will occur once all the smaller officers are defeated.

Discovered Stowaway hideoushorrendous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    Seems to me that who’s who was talking about ivanko. Iva’s people were the ones disappearing guards and prisoners.
    Who'sWho escaped by himself meaning he wasn't caged in Impeldown and that's fair since government agents don't belong there even if they messed up

Him and Jinbe once worked for the same group of people so yeah it is very possible that they met before but for some reason Who'sWho is wearing a mask despite being under Kaido's wings

The outdated info that he possess it happened to be too sweet to hear and we're lucky he got a big mouth

Who'sWho is not done yet.

Nika sounds like a myth, a belief not based on actual facts. He’s a god that one day will cone to release the slaves.

Joyboy was a real person, or the title of a real person.

That’s how I interpret it. Maybe Nika was the name of (a) Joyboy, and later became a myth. Or maybe Nika is just a fabrication of slaves not based on a real person.
    Due to that guard being disappeared for talking about Nika to Who's Who I do think he's a myth on actual facts. Otherwise if he was solely fictions there'd be no consequence for speaking about it. Its important enough that it made WW realize he had to escape after.
    Last.fm

Where is Page One's face on the cover? I feel like I'm blind...

To be honest, I don't get what makes Who'sWho a racist. Didn't he just have reserves about how quick Jinbe was on land ? IIRC, Fisher Tiger's death trap was all about bringing him in deep land...

And neither am I getting the stuff about "nowadays it's out of style to talk like that" when there are still slaves all around Sabaody and all. Maybe Otohime and Jinbe worked a lot with the WG, but there is still a "fishmen island" where all fishmen are living outside of the "real" world. Jack is hiding his fishman-ness. The only fishmans out of fishmen island are either slaves or strong enough to take care of themselves.
    This or there is something that I didn't fully grasp about all that. And I hope I missed something.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Where are you getting that Nika is a god that brings joy? Is that cuz he frees slaves/prisoners? I missed when it was said he specifically did that.

To me he was just posed as a mythical sun god that was a savior to the enslaved.

Dunno if I'm on board the Joyboy is Nika train.

I'll watch the vid later though.
    Hmm, I am very sure Whos Who mentioned that the slaves liked Nika because they expected him to bring smiles to their faces.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

To be honest, I don't get what makes Who'sWho a racist. Didn't he just have reserves about how quick Jinbe was on land ? IIRC, Fisher Tiger's death trap was all about bringing him in deep land...

And neither am I getting the stuff about "nowadays it's out of style to talk like that" when there are still slaves all around Sabaody and all. Maybe Otohime and Jinbe worked a lot with the WG, but there is still a "fishmen island" where all fishmen are living outside of the "real" world. Jack is hiding his fishman-ness. The only fishmans out of fishmen island are either slaves or strong enough to take care of themselves.
    This or there is something that I didn't fully grasp about all that. And I hope I missed something.
    It is generally frowned upon to go up to people and say -Hey you are pretty good at X for a Y

I think Jinbe was angry at two beliefs: that fishmen are slow on land, and that the Sun Pirates were a crew of slaves.

I think Jinbe was angry at two beliefs: that fishmen are slow on land, and that the Sun Pirates were a crew of slaves.
    Plus calling fishmen a race of slaves
    One Piece ,\/,,

What's a bit fuzzy for me, is that, I feel like it's the first time I've read the word "racism" in OnePiece. Even in Sabaody or FI, I can't recall like, let's say, Luffy calling someone a racist. I always had the word "discrimination" instead (I the translation I read).
    The belief that someone else is from a different race: racism. Cannot really be applied in the OnePiece-verse where there are actual persons of different races (other than human). I think that the translation just put the word racism there because I guess it's translated by Americans. But was it really there in the original text ? That's what I wonder

the Sun Pirates were a crew of slaves.
    He didn't say that. He said "there were former slaves in that crew" which is true. Tiger gave them a tattoo to hide the past of some of them, and yeah some weren't former slaves but they got the sun pirates tattoo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy D. Clown View Post
    Plus calling fishmen a race of slaves
    "What is fishman history but the history of slavery" sounds ambiguous. He doesn't outright state anything. If he means "fishman history is slavery" (which we don't even know if it's true or false because they could very well have been under the threat of slavery since Joyboy/voidcentury...)

In the end Jinbe gets mad and obliterates Who's Who. But the whole process of getting mad is either still not very well explained, or it was poorly executed-- for me. It looks like the Martha scene in BvS, or the Sanji kicking Luffy to death in WholeCakeIsland for me.

"What is fishman history but the history of slavery" sounds ambiguous. He doesn't outright state anything. If he means "fishman history is slavery" (which we don't even know if it's true or false because they could very well have been under the threat of slavery since Joyboy/voidcentury...)
    Jimbei and the royals of FI are fighting hard to have equality with the rest of humans...for someone like WW to come to Jimbei and say all your history has is just slavery is kinda demeaning and insulting even if Fishmen are sold as slaves. Making an assumption like that for the whole race etc. Jimbei's anger is just.
    One Piece ,\/,,

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy D. Clown View Post
    Jimbei and the royals of FI are fighting hard to have equality with the rest of humans...for someone like WW to come to Jimbei and say all your history has is just slavery is kinda demeaning and insulting even if Fishmen are sold as slaves. Making an assumption like that for the whole race etc. Jimbei's anger is just.
    Exactly. All it is is a racist remark from WW undermining the fishmen's culture and history by implying that the slavery part of it is their defining trait.

I'm of the opinion that Oda should have made Who'sWho say something blatantly discriminatory like "you filthy fish" or something like that. But he can't I guess, because he's gonna redeem him somehow.
    After all, outside of world nobles, did we get any major racist character?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information