+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,018: Jinbe Vs. Who's-Who

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Chapter 1,018: Jinbe Vs. Who's-Who

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    Seems to me that who’s who was talking about ivanko. Iva’s people were the ones disappearing guards and prisoners.
    But not slaves.

Also his name isn't Nika.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Like I said in the spoilers thread, while everything does seem to point towards Nika being Joy Boy, I actually wonder if Oda's going to take the inherited will theme further and make the two distinctive, with the former being a myth way back in time that served as inspiration for the former (who in turned served as inspiration for Roger, who inspired Luffy, who will one day inspire some other kid), creating a never ending cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    currently in an environment of facing the dark parts of our country's history
    We can't think of our history as nothing but the good parts
    Oh, so that's what's happening. And here I thought we'd already discarded positivism as incapable of giving us a full view of history.

On an unrelated note, how come mods can't be added to the ignore list? Surely in case of reprimands private messages could be used to bypass said list.

As i understand it the platform itself does not support putting mods on ignore. So i can only recommend skimming past the offending posts the old fashioned way

I see. Bummer. One of the few shortcomings of a php forum.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Since everybody is recognizing and connecting the dots with the sun's significance along with already known importance of the moon, i'd question why not have one character sort of a symbol for each: Nika for the sun and Joyboy for the moon.

I get the feeling Joyboy isn't Nika the Sun God. I mean exactly how many aliases can one mythical legend have?
    Last edited by Zik; July 5th, 2021 at 07:30 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Since everybody is recognizing and connecting the dots with the sun's significance along with already known importance of the moon, i'd question why not have one character sort of a symbol for each: Nika for the sun and Joyboy for the moon.

I get tue feeling Joyboy isn't Nina the Sun God. I mean exactly how many aliases can one mythical legend have?
    Pure speculation ahead:
    It may be that the factions of the Void Conflict are only two: moonies and earthers. Once the WG did what it did, coming together as the controlling entity we see it today, most of the moonies were exterminated, driven off, and/or enslaved.
    At this point a new figure arises. A freer of slaves. Someone so charming and positive to be seen as beyond both the mentality of moonies and earthers. Hence he earns the epithet of Sun God. He's not Joy Boy (who being a D. is most likely a moonie), but someone either:
    of hybrid descend, containing in his lineage only the best of winged and wing-less people;
    or of an altogether different origin, perhaps an alien even to the aliens that used to live on the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    I suppose Jinbe describing his casual racism being out of style these days could imply that he modern society in One Piece has moved past that to a partial extent in spite of what’s going on the Celestial Dragons and the nobles accusing Hatchan being a disgusting fishmen monster. I suooose it could be do to Jinbe’s own efforts when he was a warlord and Whitebeard protecting Fishmen Island which could send the message that the fishmen are worth defending even if a pirate is defending them. With Who’s-Who presumably only growing up fighting as a Cypher Pol trainee, it’s possible this might also be saying that he never really got to learn about the world as he should have and is a product of that by talking about fishmen moving less fast on land as if to insult them and asking things about Nika, which can show how lacking he is in knowledge not just as a villain either.

And in regards to the topic of class mobility for minorities, while people of a certain background inherent more money and the like because of supposedly being “born great,” leaving a disproportionate structure, would that then mean to say that there’s a structure waiting that just waiting to be torn down, going back to Luffy burning down the government flag, Dragon going against the government in the name of freedom, and Im being responsible for the class and wealth imbalance with him being the king of the world and responsible for any atrocities that he plays a role in? Because it’s understood that any institution can have the guilty no matter how clean it looks on the outside, right? That’s definitely a reason the sun would be there for.
    It'll be interesting to see how often anti-fishman sentiment comes up for the rest of the series, now that we've got Jinbe full time. As much as I don't want to see him suffer more discrimination, another few interactions like this would be good for working out how far these things actually go. That said, I think the government/Marines has some awareness that things that are acceptable for the Celestial Dragons aren't viewed as favourably by the masses - following the scene during Sabaody where an officer reporting on the situation hastily corrects himself from "Human Auction House" to "Employment Assistance Office."

And yeah, it's hard to say how much detail Oda would go into for the nitty-gritty of a full structural reform (given that the Revolutionaries have stated they're not against government as a whole, just one as corrupt to the top as the current one) but he's definitely set it up as something that needs changing, even if he'll only show it in broad strokes. If nothing else, the fishmen are absolutely getting their emigration wish in the world after the final battle, to live somewhere they're better positioned to interact, trade and have cultural exchange with the rest of the world.

I'm just pleased by this chapter for the sole fact they gave a Straw Hat who isn't Luffy or Zoro an actual 'on-screen' battle, seeing Jimbei in action was great stuff.

I get tue feeling Joyboy isn't Nina the Sun God. I mean exactly how many aliases can one mythical legend have?
    Isn't it obvious that JOYBOY is the Nika.

I mean, its there in the name. Joy boy, someone that brings joy. Nika, "god" that brings joy.

How is this not obvious???

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Guys, watch this video.

Apparently, Joy Boy is a west african myth, It also touches on Smiles.

Very fascinating.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    This was another really impressive chapter that did a lot to move the story forward. The end of the battle is getting closer.
    It is funny because you seemed to have liked a lot the past chapters when I found them rather weak in term of writing.
    - The disappointment of Nami fight has been overdiscussed.
    - Last week chapter was ok but the writing was really off. With all the gifters preventing the heroes to fight, Tama speaks, all the gifters from the previous pages switch side. I know this is a serie for children but we have known Oda writing being more subtle
    - And this week, we have some lore about an ancient god in the middle of a fight. Even Jinbei asks why Who's Who is talking about it :-)

At least, it helps Jinbe getting angry, allowing him to increase his haki and outclass Who's who in the fight but it still feels a bit artificial to me.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    I don't think Oda has ever used bounties to hype villain teams, only specific individual villains.
    Yeah, but this would be a great time for that. Every chapter that reveals bounties ends up being major hype, just look how the Supernova reveal would be bland without bounties. Also, the Yonko bounties were a major part of "Ultimate" chapter 957. I feel it was a missed opportunity to not have them in 998, since that chapter was already done to hype the Tobi Roppo.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    It is funny because you seemed to have liked a lot the past chapters when I found them rather weak in term of writing.
    - The disappointment of Nami fight has been overdiscussed.
    - Last week chapter was ok but the writing was really off. With all the gifters preventing the heroes to fight, Tama speaks, all the gifters from the previous pages switch side. I know this is a serie for children but we have known Oda writing being more subtle
    - And this week, we have some lore about an ancient god in the middle of a fight. Even Jinbei asks why Who's Who is talking about it :-)

At least, it helps Jinbe getting angry, allowing him to increase his haki and outclass Who's who in the fight but it still feels a bit artificial to me.
    I agree that Nami's bit was an anticlimax, I spoke about it at length when it happened. But aside from that, everything since the one where Luffy got knocked off the roof - five of the past six chapters - has been great.

The kind of stuff that's bothering you feels so part and parcel for this kind of series it barely feels worth commenting on.

Tama taking control of the Gifters was set in stone basically the moment her powers were introduced three years ago. But it's not like she's getting away with it for free. Oda made it so she couldn't give the order without exposing herself to the whole battle, making her a high priority target to everyone left, so her part isn't over yet. I think Oda could have handled the Gifter slightly flip better by showing them interfering with the one on one fights sooner, but it's not that big a deal for a plot point everyone's been anticipating for three years.

And when has talking not been a free action in a shonen manga fight? Combining character interactions with battle is a hallmark of the genre. And Jinbe was definitely asking why Who's Who would think he knew about the story, not why he's talking in the middle of the fight. Turns out the answer to that question is racism. So that's all neatly justified and I can't see a problem with it.

But there's no accounting for taste. Hopefully the next chapter is more able to please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Yeah, but this would be a great time for that. Every chapter that reveals bounties ends up being major hype, just look how the Supernova reveal would be bland without bounties. Also, the Yonko bounties were a major part of "Ultimate" chapter 957. I feel it was a missed opportunity to not have them in 998, since that chapter was already done to hype the Tobi Roppo.
    I never understood what "hype" bounties bring to the fights, let alone the story.
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November

A lot actually, two isn't even close.

I mean exactly how many aliases can one mythical legend have?
    Apollo, Phoebus, Aegletes , Helius , Lyceus, Phanaeus, Sol, etc.

And this is just looking at the Greek interpretation, without taking into consideration the Roman side.

- Sun God Nika seems like a hook for the Mary Geoise arc I've been expecting to follow Wano. Hancock's capture, Slavery, the Revolutionaries and the Cipher Pols would be big in it, and maybe Nika is the reason Fisher Tiger named his crew the Sun Pirates? Man, I'm now hoping for a Hancock flashback featuring other slaves like Koala and Tiger.
    The WG would need time to prepare against Dragon, just like they needed time to prepare for Newgate.

And two big arcs in a row isn't usual either.

Here's a most possible scenario. Luffy will come out of Wano as a great pirate already, graveyard island where Ace is resting seems to be somewhat nearby, if Luffy and Shanks reunion is to happen, it should right after Wano, Usopp is already a 200Million Pirate, and he's likely going to get another raise, that's about enough to impress his father as well.

And here's the most important thing, Shanks *knows* things and he also knows Teach is in the move, even with Sabo, Hancock and Vivi's situations, Shanks could persuade Luffy into keep going before Teach hacks his way into Laugh Tale, because the vague prophecies wouldn't work out if someone else ruins it all, that's even probably why he's constantly worried of Teach.

Shanks would take whatever task Luffy would wanted to, and go and die(as it expected anyways), right after Shanks death, and Sabo's squeduled execution, Hancock slavery resumed and whatever trouble Vivi is in, it'll be about enough time for Luffy to complete the journey, and with Robin revealing the whole mess of a world the CD's made during the Void Century, Luffy would finally have all the good reasoning to invade Mariejoa, and make perfect narrative sense, unlike what you're proposing right there..
    Last edited by Monquito; July 5th, 2021 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flandrian15 View Post
    I never understood what "hype" bounties bring to the fights, let alone the story.
    The One Piece bounty system is a great narrative device to instantly convey threat, while at the same time not being just a objective power level, which allows for some surprises (like, for instance, someone with a lower bounty actually being more powerful).

We immediately knew Cracker was a big deal because of his 860 million bounty, for instance.

Bounties also spark discussions about who's fighting who, which may lead to subverting expectations.

For instance, what would make a better narration box introduction for a character we never seen before:

- What's-his-name

Or

- "Grand Title" What's-his-name, Captain of the Whatever-theme Pirates, Bounty: 480,000,000 bellies

?
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

The One Piece bounty system is a great narrative device to instantly convey threat, while at the same time not being just a objective power level, which allows for some surprises (like, for instance, someone with a lower bounty actually being more powerful).

We immediately knew Cracker was a big deal because of his 860 million bounty, for instance.

Bounties also spark discussions about who's fighting who, which may lead to subverting expectations.

For instance, what would make a better narration box introduction for a character we never seen before:

- What's-his-name

Or

- "Grand Title" What's-his-name, Captain of the Whatever-theme Pirates, Bounty: 480,000,000 bellies

?
    I always understood bounties as the threat level someone poses to the World Government or the marines or both. Since we don't know all the reasons the WG gives bounties we can therefor not conclude anything from the amount of a bounty. not strengthwize, not plotwize, not whether someone's a friend or an enemy, ...

In the narrative they mean nothing. Therefor their hype is misplaced.
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November

Quote Originally Posted by Piitan View Post
    Like I said in the spoilers thread, while everything does seem to point towards Nika being Joy Boy, I actually wonder if Oda's going to take the inherited will theme further and make the two distinctive, with the former being a myth way back in time that served as inspiration for the former (who in turned served as inspiration for Roger, who inspired Luffy, who will one day inspire some other kid), creating a never ending cycle.
    To be honest I wish the cycle ends with Luffy. And if there has to be any spinnoffs or whatnot, it'd be in the past. Like in the void century. I just don't want One Piece to turn into Naruto
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    To be honest I wish the cycle ends with Luffy. And if there has to be any spinnoffs or whatnot, it'd be in the past. Like in the void century. I just don't want One Piece to turn into Naruto
    I don't see Oda ever wielding after finishing One Piecr if it's not to draw funny skittles, like anthromorphosized sidetits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information