+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aggretsuko (on Netflix)

Default Aggretsuko (on Netflix)

I recently discovered this absolute gem. I'm surprised it doesn't have a thread yet. It's a comedy that combines the over-the-topness of anime with real life problems and a mostly grounded, realistic setting (bar everyone being animals). Retsuko is an overworked, stressed out, shy and soft-spoken red panda who gets all the work unloaded onto her by her jerkass boss who is literally a sexist pig (the greatest character in the show). She copes with this through, what else, singing death metal.

I adore this show. It's hilarious and all the characters are immensely likeable (or love-to-hateable) and seem one-dimensional at first but reveal hidden depths over time. There are two seasons of, by netflix standards, short bite sized episodes with a third season coming this summer. Don't miss out on this one.

Has anyone else seen this yet?
    Last edited by DoctorPhil; March 19th, 2020 at 04:14 PM.

Default Re: Aggretsuko (on Netflix)

Yes. Watched it a couple years ago, although there may only have been one season at that time. Absolute gem, I second that.

Ah man I just thought that was a third season already. Yeah the show is gem, i third that.

I totally fourth that.

Third season coming August 27th

Woohoo!!!!!

Aww yeah can't wait.

Season 2 was a slow burn for me, the creepy dude at the beginning was just too unlike able for me, but then they did the whole thing with the Hippo lady that I loved, most day to day assholes can be reached an agreement with if you reach out to them while they are still young. And then the plot with donkey jobs I had fun while it lasted but I forgot it.

I hope they continue the goriko/washimi plot this season. That their make up on the end was just a truce truly, and we get to explore the origins of their friendship.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Oh we gotta have Goriko and Washimi be besties again. And of course, will Haida finally go out with Retsuko?!

Spoiler:
    Retsuko already turned Haida down though. I want him to find another girl in season 3. I'm tired of him constantly going after Retsuko for two seasons, even after she said no. It's getting kind of tired and pointless. They should actually take his character somewhere. The female lead and male lead always ending up together is super cliche as well.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    the creepy dude at the beginning was just too unlike able for me
    I kind of feel for him. He wasn't a creep or an asshole per se. He was a terrified young guy straight out of college. Rightfully so, considering the hellish reality of the japanese corporate world. I think many japanese could identify with him somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    Spoiler:
    Retsuko already turned Haida down though. I want him to find another girl in season 3. I'm tired of him constantly going after Retsuko for two seasons, even after she said no. It's getting kind of tired and pointless. They should actually take his character somewhere. The female lead and male lead always ending up together is super cliche as well.
    Spoiler:
    Wait when? I don't remember that. Has the quarantine really twisted my perception of space and time, ain't been so long since I watched it,oh no it has been 9 months.

I don’t think she rejected him on camera. But the implication and tone is there.

And that moment in chapter one of season 2 when Retsuko can’t even get angry because she is so freaked out because of this dude? Have you ever felt enough fear that it overwhelms your anger? It is not a good feeling. Can’t forgive such a thing easily.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I agree that whats-his-face got off too lightly, even though it was good to show how a little kindness can go a long way, or that some people need different teaching methods.

But treating your fellow employees like that is unacceptable and he should have gone to HR. Washimi got the CEO to talk to Ton (for all the good it did), so she could have nudged HR too. But this might just be a part of Japanese culture where HR isn't as employee-focused as it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Spoiler:
    Wait when? I don't remember that. Has the quarantine really twisted my perception of space and time, ain't been so long since I watched it,oh no it has been 9 months.
    Christmas special. And the fact that Haida is into punk rock in his off hours is something Restuko has never learned, so it would be good for her to have a fellow office-mate (since Gori and Washimi are higher-ups in different departments) whom she can identify with.

Yeah, havenít watched that. Damn you holiday specials.

You don't need to wait for Christmas to watch it.

Iím watching it tonight. I just usually find holiday specials tacky.

It was very much a "this is just the story inbetween seasons" more than a traditional holiday episode.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Wait what, Retsuko has the money for VR games? Damn, she's richer than I thought. Well, accounting does pays really well I guess. But then the rest of the trailer shows her having money problems again.
    And finally they're doing more with Haida than him simping over her. Hope he finds a nice girl.
    Last edited by DoctorPhil; August 11th, 2020 at 12:27 AM.

Dafuq, is that a unicorn?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information