+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Hood

Default Re: Red Hood

So based on the latest chapter...

Spoiler:
    I think the concept for this story is pretty nifty, a story book that basically dictates fate, but with the way its all being framed right now I feel like I should be rooting for the old man to win. Velou makes a good point at the end, it's all pretty shit that fate is causing all these bad events. But the author is clearly framing it like both the Old Man and the Guild are in the wrong.

Also if fate was unbreakable before Vellou (side note: I do like the Pinocchio reveal here) then surely the old man going traitor and building Velou was also in the book? I guess the old man wrote that himself...

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

The guild looks bad until you realize that without all those conflicts, there's no story. At this point, I can see the mayor writing "and they all lived happily ever after" at the end of the manga. So conflict is resolved, everyone is happy as dictated by the book, but there's no story anymore so it's meaningless.
    Wash your hands.

I am curious about how the author would have revealed the twist had the series survived more time in Jump, still a nice way to end the series though, revealing Velouīs last name to be Pinocchio? Also the reed hood and mc on the bed was fun as hell, still I donīt understand why they canīt simply create a perfect world.

Once Reed Hood is over I will be looking foward to his next work, not all authors succeed at the first try (Horikoshi and Tabata are good examples), so I hope he tries again.

I'm glad this series i ending, I would have been real pissed if this went on for five or six years and then got to this stupid surprise twist.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I feel like this meta story plot stuff was not the original intent. I'm curious where this was supposed to go.

I'm with both Robby AND Cyclone_Baroness on this one. I kinda was intrigued by the reveal in the previous chapter and curious as to where it would go. But the explenation this chapter was just a letdown. And somehow it just doesn't feel to me like this was the actual endgame. I don't know what it is but something just feels off about it and it's placement in the story.

I mean, its possible that this WAS always the intent, the series was sort of breaking the fourth wall from the getgo, and this would have worked as a long slow reveal with hints coming here and there and building up over time.

But just jumping to this super meta ending surprise twist it's just... no.

I really am reminded of Barrage where he just HAD to squeeze his original ending idea in no matter how much it didn't work without buildup. And that the surprise twist when its this early on just does not work. It's less a twist and more an out of nowhere "you only had 10 chapters and didn't set this up at all during them" sort of thing.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I think he shoved the build up ( if that was the intentional ending) and forced the 4th wall breakings as a fuck to the editor once he knew he would get axed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    But just jumping to this super meta ending surprise twist it's just... no.
    Indeed. I was looking forward to a nice and simple series with funky werewolf designs and a baddie of the week kind of structure. Really bummed out that it turned out this way, but what can you do it's a harsh environment in this industry after all. Still sad tho.
    We all float down here!

I'm feeling he wanted to go a bit on a Togashi route and slowly step by step expand the world until the reveal makes sense, but Togashi was always more entertaining in his first chapters, before introducing weirder pieces.

The series was already feeling a bit rushed but even so the first mention of the warden to red hood hunter, about if things were going according to the plot line, was a nice introduction to the concept, but it doesn't work if it's immediately followed by the reveal.

whoever was responsible for extending the first chapter wolf hunt really did the series dirty. That was like one of the most promising first chapters into what the heck are you doing that I've ever seen.

Wow, this has gone from being a cute fourth wall break to the author being up their own ass. The series got a saving grace of a few extra chapters due the magazine printing a bunch of one shots in a row, and this is how it uses that precious few weeks of bonus time?

Really be kind of... awkward... if it actually continued past this.

That was a lot o salt over being axed in just a few pages. yikes.

Like, he's actively insulting the readers now. There's zero ambiguity like there was last chapter, or a few chapters before that where he ight have "only" been insulting the editor.

Is... is he burning bridges doing this? His art is great and I'd hate to see talent go to waste becase he threw a hissyfit for a month.

If he wasn't ranked at the bottom before he definitely would be now.

But like, instead of doign this he could have cleanly finished the training arc, and left on a hopeful but ambiguous open ending. And then, someday, if he had a successful series later, he could maybe come back and revisit this, or get a short adaptation.

But this... this is crazy.

I dunno, perhaps itīs because the meta chapter about fanservice from Fire Force is still fresh on my mind and makes everything look tamer in comparison, but I donīt see either ill intent or the author being full of himself like it did back Fire Force.

Itīs just being meta and breaking the 4th wall for the sake of it, like most stories where the characters realize they are inside a fictional world created by others.

That was a very, very immature move.

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

The worst thing is that Time Paradox Ghostwriter already did the "blaming everyone and the manga industry" ending last year, so this doesn't even have the novelty factor to make it stand out.

Edit: Rumor is that this has 1 chapter left and I believe it. 2 for Neru.
    Last edited by El-Matematico; October 31st, 2021 at 09:33 AM.
    Wash your hands.

I forgot about that Time Paradox story....Yeah this author is for sure being extra butt hurt. Do we know how many more chapters are left?

Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch.

I'm a little split on this chapter. I find the concepts of ending a story both in the fictional and real world cool, same thing with the commentary of a world being kept alive and forced to go through conflicts for the sake of outside entertainment. Hardly unique concepts, but cool nonetheless. But the moment you bring in the readers as part of your story you need to know what you're doing. One wrong move and instead of being intrigued they're gonna be insulted. Part of me can see this chapter as the author really trying to do this cool meta thing, but it can absolutely be read as a middle finger to his readers and it's awful. What the hell is the author thinking here? I don't get how they let this past the editors, the guy's digging his own grave. Especially since the only people seeing this chapter are the ones who stuck around long enough because they saw some potential in the series.

Honestly this whole series is screwing with my mind. If it just stuck with the werewolves and hunters and followed the path of a typical shonen it could've been a big hit. How in the world did we end up here?

I will agree with Destiny though that somehow it's still not as bad as the stunt pulled in Fire Force.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

What happened in Fire Force?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information