+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Red Hood

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

Default Re: Red Hood

Binging manga is a different experience. Chapters 2-5 felt like a slog because everyone expected the story to move out of the Hamlet after chapter 1. And then there was a break between chapters 4 and 5 (and soon after another break between 6 and 7). The fact is that it's ranked bottom all the time and that can be ok for some series but not for new ones.

Also, I realized I didn't really comment anything about the chapter. Bonker's story was ok, but could have been shorter. Then the fourth wall breaking brought the chapter down because it felt like the author self pitying again.
    Wash your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    And friggin Fairy Tail sold around the world.
    How did that ever happen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    There is some space between One Piece and Fairy Tail Robby. And friggin Fairy Tail sold around the world.
    1. I didn't mention Fairy Tail? Ever?

2. Fairy Tail is awful. "That it sold" is not a measure of quality. And I know its awful because I read like the first 200 chapters when they were coming out, constantly waiting for it to break out of its shell and *get* good and that never came.

3. Fairy Tail was in a different magazine entirely and never competed for space with any Jump title. The issue isn't how good the series is or isn't, its that it's ranking dead last in the polls which means its on the chopping block.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    How did that ever happen anyway.
    It ran in Kodansha' Weekly Shōnen Magazine, which has much lower thresholds for success than Jump, and is way less cutthroat, series are generally able to run a bit longer. I think Fairy Tail and The Seven Deadly Sins are the only mega hits its had in the last decade, unless you're counting Ken Akamatsu and CLAMP titles.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

May be it will survive a bit and Neru will get the cull first.But I have never seen a manga ranking so low continuously survived much long in WSJ.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Storywise, this chapter is not the work of a person who thinks their story is getting cancelled in a chapter or two.

Until you get to the second half and they stop drawing any backgrounds and in the final pages and they just stopped drawing and started pasting in entire old pages to fill space.

The story is not going to have any real conclusion but the art is definitely getting scribblier and less effort.

I guess it hasn't been *dead last* the last four chapters in a row, its been *next to last* for some of those. Maybe the editor really has belief in the series and wants them to have a chance to turn it around? Maybe the numbers started increasing with this arc and we're just not going to see the result of that for a few more issues? Or maybe it's just going to have a very abrupt end.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Guardian of the Witch acted as if nothing happened, the second to last chapter looked like the start of a new arc, and then last chapter was a timeskip and the world was at peace.

I do think they're giving Red Hood slithtly better treatment. For instance, it got a Spanish translation right away while Neru didn't (and PPPPPP didn't either). But the thing is, this training arc has been boring outside of showcasing some of the participants' powers. And Velou is pretty much a Deku clone in his characterization, which is bad because Deku has consistently proved to not be very popular (as a MC, he's obviously high ranked in popularity polls, but never win them, which is unusual for a shonen).
    Last edited by El-Matematico; October 4th, 2021 at 06:24 AM.
    Wash your hands.

Golden Future Cup saves Hood and Neru for the next five weeks at least. Might be why the author is pacing this arc out to time it with the axe.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Matematico View Post
    (as a MC, he's obviously high ranked in popularity polls, but never win them, which is unusual for a shonen).
    Luffy is an outlier, if anything. Ichigo dropped from 1st to 3rd later on in the series, Naruto got 1st only 2 out of 6 times, and Gon always got 3rd. Asta, Tanjiro, and Senku have also fallen from 1st place in recent polls.

Edit: Wrong thread.
    Last edited by Zack; October 6th, 2021 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I guess with Jimbei joining and Yamato probably joining, Oda felt Sanji needed a power boost to solidify his position as the #3 on the crew.
    Wrong thread I guess ?

I won't need to understand since this will get axed soon anyways, right?

The hunter's guild have a book that creates reality. The mayor stole 2 pages. He deleted the big wolf and messed with Grimms memories. Also it turns out Grimm wrote that everyone passed the exam. Debonair mentioned the "scenario" and Grimm didn't understand, so Debonair asked all those random questions, which were probably codewords to identify if someone is being impersonated, controlled, etc (in this case, Debonair suspects memory manipulation).
    So the mayor stole 2 pages from the book and has been messing with it, including either making up the story about dragons being extinct 500 years ago, and his plan is to replace Grimm with Velou.

Anyway, the manga has been axed so it's just dumping all the plot on us.
    Last edited by El-Matematico; October 17th, 2021 at 09:15 AM.
    Wash your hands.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information