+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Hood

Default Re: Red Hood

You don't have to be invested in Luffy becoming Pirate King... cause you're invested in what that crazy red haired guy gave up for him and the promise made.

King of the pirates is fine and all, but at its core really you just want to see him meet that guy again and make him proud and return the hat.

And in HxH the hook was never Ging. Ging was the maguffin sure, an enigma for someday. But the hook there from the first page when you see Gon wearing that hat of leaves next to that weird tree then catching that fish with legs. It had an interesting world instantly. And then within just a few pages showed the story of Gon and that orphaned baby cat creature, and showcased not Ging, but *Kite*. He was the showcase and promise of what Hunters could be, not Ging. In that first chapter you had an entire world very promised and the lead character was very well defined.

Red Hood is sort of trying to do the same thing, right down to the exams, but not managing it nearly as well.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I do find the series endearing for a number of reasons and hope it will pull together and continue, but I have to agree it kinda failed its early game.
    When the giant wolf & witch appeared couple chapters ago, the tone was grim so I thought they would obliterate the village down to its last dweller. That would have been dark, Velou's dream of protecting everyone would be shattered, but at least he would have had one hell of a motivation for revenge. Instead it looks like author shied away from his own idea. We got "the big bad lets everyone go, after that people kinda lost faith and scattered" and Velou becomes a hunter...by default ? It makes sense from a logical point of view, but it is still underwhelming. Mr Mayor being alive and in cahoots with the big bads isn't enough to keep me hooked at this time.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Well, I get your points but I'm reading it all as somehow hard yet short-sighted comments (based on how little we have up until now). They aren't wrong in essence, but they seem somehow to more limiting than it needs to be? Sound very Editorial like, but I'm glad a more unusual approach seems to be the case. Yes, the emotional anchor isn't there yet, but it seems that the Mayor current plot leads to that. Maybe the author intends to use the whole first volume (first 8~9 chapters) do lay it down, dunno. Appareantly it hasn't been well received, but the aesthetic and the slower pace are quite refreshing to me.

Using Seafarer33's exemples, the town destruction could be gore to the extreme and it's an easy way to lure shonen readers, but having powerful characters that aren't short fused and seem to have a plan for a farway future is interesting enough to keep me going.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    Maybe the author intends to use the whole first volume (first 8~9 chapters) do lay it down, dunno.
    You don't have that luxury in Jump. That's fine in a novel, but not a weekly anthology fighting hard for space. It doesn't matter if your chapter 21 is amazing if you're cancelled at 20.

Once you've lost readers they don't go back to an old thing they gave up on unless they're bored and reading the whole magazine. Its actually pretty difficult for things to climb back out of the middle.

A slow build is fine but you have to have them along for the ride first.

Sound very Editorial like,
    I AM an editor in my professional life so that seeps through sometimes.

I like the idea of the series but I don't see it lasting. Maybe not a meager 16 chapters like Barrage did, but... I don't think its long term prospects are great.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The first three issues they have no data so a series is just sort of put into the top 5 by default, and it has color pages to boost it for the first two chapter.

The fourth chapter was in issue 35, and it was ranked 9th there and 8th in 36/37. But those placements would have been in response to the super sized first chapter and the second with a color page, 38 is the first time its really getting judged.

And in issue 38 it was 12th.
    I thought the first 7 placements were generally marked as "safe"? And series that have color pages, are one-shots, or are still brand new aren't usually counted in the rankings either. So that would make it #7 with all of that applied.

But looking at other new series, Samurai and Blue Box received a similar placement for their 7th chapter and they're both established successes already. Witch Watch was even further down for its 7th chapter.

I think it's too early to tell how Hood will do. Especially with the weird position Jump is in right now where the only guaranteed axe coming up is Candy Flurry. I've never seen the magazine fluctuate so much on their bottom 3 series in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    the aesthetic and the slower pace are quite refreshing to me.
    They are to me as well. While I did write that bit about destroying the village, afterwards I realized that a disillusioned/bloodthirsty protagonist who sets out for revenge following extreme drama has been done to death. So at least the author gets cookie points for trying something different.
    I'm not sure however, whether the slow pace and tone shifts are part of a plan that may bear fruit in the long run, or simply shortcomings of an author under pressure who isn't quite sure how to best tell their story. Time will tell, I'm crossing fingers because I really like the aesthetics here.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankyFan View Post
    I thought the first 7 placements were generally marked as "safe"?
    Yes and no. They're not going to cancel a series that fast because they want at least enough chapters to make a tank out of. But if somethings a flop and they *know* it by then they'll tell the author to start doing something to turn it around or to start wrapping it up. You can see a lot of short runners doing crazy stuff around that point where they do things to try and change their premise or setup entirely. They generally want it to go at least two volumes, so authors usually have a few more months to pick it up or get things wrapped. Unless something is a mega flop its usually "safe" for the first 15 or so chapters, but that doesn't mean it'll keep running..

But its actual placement in the magazine will move down pretty quickly if the early chapters aren't getting a lot of heat.

And series that have color pages, are one-shots, or are still brand new aren't usually counted in the rankings either.
    Not technically, no, but there's still only 20 slots in the magazine per week no matter what. Like in a week where One Piece gets a color page, it doesn't magically bump everything else up. You don't count a series as #1 because it has a color spread that week, but you can still judge its overall place in the magazine.

It's easier for general purposes to count to just take those into account.

But looking at other new series, Samurai and Blue Box received a similar placement for their 7th chapter and they're both established successes already. Witch Watch was even further down for its 7th chapter.
    I haven't followed either of those series but Samurai seems to jump around wildly, one week its 13 then its 4 then its 3 then its 14 then its 16 and then the next it's 4th. I have NO idea how to interpret that. I'm not sure if its doing mediocre but has an editor that really believes in it, if it fluctuates a lot from chapter to chapter, or if they think its okay in the back on alternating weeks to let something else shine, but are still supporting it? It's a REALLY weird one.

Blue Box started hitting top 5 almost immediately, and hasn't really dipped below 9 or 10, while consistently getting back to top 5. THough last week it was in the bottom 5? Weird. Maybe they're throwing some stuff in the back randomly now to give other stuff a chance?

Witch Watch is straddling just above the bottom five or in it pretty consistently. Even when it got a color page a couple weeks ago it was at the back of the magazine. It probably doesn't have much longer unless it gets an anime soon to boost it up... but most things don't get animes until year 2.

Especially with the weird position Jump is in right now where the only guaranteed axe coming up is Candy Flurry. I've never seen the magazine fluctuate so much on their bottom 3 series in a while.
    Yeah I generally dont watch the numbers too closely because OP is all I really care about but there are some weird fluctuations going on.
    Last edited by Robby; August 24th, 2021 at 05:21 PM.

Witch Watch is straddling just above the bottom five or in it pretty consistently. Even when it got a color page a couple weeks ago it was at the back of the magazine. It probably doesn't have much longer unless it gets an anime soon to boost it up... but most things don't get animes until year 2.
    And even if you do get an anime if the ratings and the DVD sales suck well that's the end for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

You don't have to be invested in Luffy becoming Pirate King... cause you're invested in what that crazy red haired guy gave up for him and the promise made.
    To tell you the truth I find absolutely nothing in One Piece chapter 1 compelling enough to make me read the next chapter. Before this actually became my favorite series I ditched it several times. Friends always told me to give it a chance but honestly to this day I find nothing before Baratie remotely interesting and only accept it because it's part of the characters backstory and part of OP overall. That said you don't want to know what was actually the trigger to get me into OP. It literally defies any common sense.^^'

Anyways that said, I know I'm the minority but I honestly don't find OP that compelling in the beginning. On the other hand Red Hood has grabed me with the villain group the big wolf is part of. The the typical shonen villain groups like the Warlords that are never get revealed first but piece by piece being part of a bigger narrative. That I find compeling as it makes it seem as if the author has a world with it's rules and structures set up already. Finding One Piece even as the protagonists clear goal never made gave of that it would be that big of a deal of an elaborately thought out fictional universe in chapter 1 as it ultimately turned out to be. Heck Roger didn't seem that interesting to me until the end of Skypiea were I was introduced to the fact that he found the big belfry and rather that taking it he deemed it necessary to leave it as it is with a message for whoever might follow in his footsteps. OP is great but it's getting greater with time. It doesn't do that much of an amazing first ipression. Not saying Red Hood is aazing now. But it's done enough to show there's bigger things in this world happening. How many people find it compelling is the other question.

What's with this recent trend of beautiful muscular women. Not like I'm complaining, hehe.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

So, was this new meta plotline planned from the start by the mangaka or is it the result of editor meddling due to lukewarm reception of the first arc in Japan? In any case, interesting attempt to up the stakes and provide longterm hooks.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

It definitely felt like a 4th wall thing.

Ouch. When the author spends multiple pages breaking the fourth wall to say "why are you complaining about the pacing and all the time I wasted?"

That's... not a good sign.

Definitely getting the two month pivot here where some editor told him soemthing and he's not agreeing with it. They're trying to reshape the premise of the series and show multiple new hooks. "Look, lots of character have strange cursed powers!" "Look the mayor is a secret badguy!" "Look at all the giant monster wildlife!" "Here's new roomates with whacky quirks!"

But.. you introduced a training arc and then skipped ALL the training? Not going to show any of the weird strange things? No wearing a turtle shell? No trying to cut a rock with a sword or blow up a pot with your breath? No doing 10,000 pushups while a large man stands on your back? No spinning water in a baloon? No being chased by angry bees? No hook at all? Just... nothing except the fact it was too much for an old man to deal with?

That *screams* "i was planning to do a training thing for a few chapters but now I don't have time". ANd if that's not the case and they never planned to do a training arc after explicitly setting one up, then... yikes.

I want to like this series and I want it to do well but just every week I eel like I'm just seeing signs of it ending soon, but maybe I'm just too pessimistic.

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

I feel like the most charitable interpretation of that scene is that the bad guys are trying to follow some sort of prophecy that is presented as a book of folk tales. So their actions follow a script and they see themselves as characters in the prophecy. Most definitely there's a lot of editorial meddling but maybe it could work. The biggest issue is that after Candy Flurry there's no obvious cancellation candidates, so this and Neru are at high risk.

Now, I think the manga has a good setting (post hamlet) but the characters are a miss, especially the side characters. I remember there's a guy called Bonkers because it's funny. The new character has the worst personality quirk I can remember. The flunk siblings exist.

The fact that the fortress is a huge cube on tiny rails on a path through the ocean at sea level bothers me. Feels like it's trying way too hard to be weird. Just use a ship.
    Wash your hands.

Kinda so-so on the series so far. The art style is neat, the story has potential to go somewhere and the werewolf designs in particular are fantastic. But it lost steam once the prologue concluded with the villagers scattering and since then it's been very wishy-washy. I have no idea what this story wants to be, it started out like a horror-esque monster flick, then it's a school setting with bunk mates and quirky teachers and now we even get aspects of meta commentary. The only thing I found interesting these last few chapters was the old man it he was dealt with so quickly it felt absurd.

It's frustrating because there's clearly something good here, but the story is fumbling and can't grasp it.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

I think it being very self-aware was actually planned from the start. The Checkov Gun was only the first reference, in a story that's already based on several folk tales like Red Riding Hood mixed with werewolves.

I've been riding the train like most folk here, the art is neat, some good ideas are there but let's see where this is going, give me a better hook. And this was it.
    It's a story about stories, spelling out every literary troupe it's using.

Velou still needs something though.

Yeah, I'll excuse any fourth wall breaking since this series seems built around storytelling and fairy tales as its motif.

I really liked the latest chapter. Probably my favorite since the first. The off-screen training and lack of other participants has been strange, so it's nice we're finally getting to see an extended cast in action.

Ranking was really bad though. Hoping it was a fluke since Ch. 2 and 3 are probably the low points of the series.

Enjoyed the last chapter, really hoping they give it a chance. The characters that were on the spread all looked nice, even the Morgan-looking fellow.

I hope that Hori does a sketch to promote the first volume, since the author is a former assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    What's with this recent trend of beautiful muscular women. Not like I'm complaining, hehe.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ShonenSal...72913006579713

Heh.

Oof, this week is the first *official* ranking for Red Hood that wasn't the first chapter and its dead last, final slot in the magazine.

And that's after they'd been ranking it in the bottom half for the grace period.

Unless some miracle hook happens in the next couple chapters this is done.

The author wasn't being meta last week, he was legit bitching at the readers for not liking his story.
    Last edited by Robby; September 8th, 2021 at 08:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information