+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,017: The Order

Default Chapter 1,017: The Order

Manga Plus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009380
    VIZ Manga: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...68?action=read

Author Comments 6/27/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ngs-06-27-2021

Eiichiro Oda

It’s the time of the year when I can’t leave the house without a towel. And since I’ll also be wearing a mask, hot days are going to come.
    Last edited by Shift; June 27th, 2021 at 09:11 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: Chapter 1,017: The Order

Some thoughts I had in the spoiler thread:

- Who's Who being a former CP9 agent has the potential of giving us some insight about the relationship between Rokushiki and haki. I've been theorizing for years that Rokushiki is "haki training for newbies", in that the six techniques are a rote to awakening haki. Crossing fingers to get more info to confirm or deny it, but Jinbe calling his armament haki (which he also called "Shark Skin" technique in WCI is a good sign.

- Another thing that I've been thinking for a while is that Jinbe vs. Who's Who does not feel like a definitive match-up for me. I mean, it's a pretty hard effort to be a match to a Warlord who was able to hold off Big Mom and Akainu in the past. I feel something will still stop their fight and Jinbe will end up with a stronger opponent. Who's Who knowing Jinbe from a past encounter had the potential of making it somewhat personal, but Who's Who's earlier appearances seemed to make him an opponent to Drake, and now his past as a former government secret agent turned pirate further makes him a counterpart to Drake, a marine mole pretending to be a pirate. So, I'm a little more convinced that there will be some more switcheroo. Which will also free Apoo to face Brook.

Going further on the "Rokushiki is Haki for newbies" thing:
    Spoiler:

My thoughts:
    - Soru is based on speed, but one requires to enhance awareness (Observation) to control it. Remember that Kuro was able to use a similar technique, but was unable to control it well.
    - Rankyaku is like applying armament to your leg so it becomes strong like a blade.
    - Shigan is like hardening throught Armament, but limited to a small part of the body. We've seen a flying version, as well as variants applied to other body parts (like Kaku's nose)
    - Tekkai is similar to applying Armament to your whole body, but requires you to tensing your muscles so you can't move as well.
    - Geppou is based on a very limited form of Advanced Armament. Your kicks send small shockwaves that propel you in the air. This is the same basis for Luffy's Gear 4th.
    - Kami-e seems like a training for Observation. You get better in it by feeling and predicting your opponent.
    - And the secret Rokuougan technique is like Advanced Armament, even able to harm Devil Fruit users from the inside

My theory is that the difference between base Rokushiki and haki is that the practicioner of the former without knowledge of the later is only able to use the techniques within limiting constraints, and need to exert a lot of physical effort to compliment it (for example, Tekkai is not pure haki, but limited haki aided by strong muscles). A haki user understands the power better and is less constrained. However, training Rokushiki increases the chance of one awakening its haki, and masters of Rokushiki can be truly powerful when they compliment the techniques with haki.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Chopper's change in speech does fall in line with constantly smiling due to not getting an artificial beast ability, Kuma's state, lacking empathy like the Vinsmoke boys, and lashing out from Ice Oni. Alterations of behavior and emotions is a dark path. Vegapunk most likely won't be purely decent since the subjects of his team (Caesar isn't confirmed), and his own, are treated like this. The only bail I can lend him is that Kuma wanted this possibly.

I want some Palpatine memes after this chapter.

I think I enjoyed Tama brain washing the gifters more than I should have.

About the miraculous medicine, someone was complaining about why Minkmen didn't used it back after Jack's assault. I was thinking what if it actually is the reason why all of them withsanded the whole week? Maybe they used the medicine at every turn change.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Tama is still the worst thing in the series.

Loved Queen and Who's Who parts.

Very much all for Who's Who and hopefully the other Tobi Roppo members getting fleshed out. Wasn't expecting a link to Luffy's DF though, that sounds very intriguing.

Wonder what Queen exactly did while a part of MADS as well... Also a part of me kind of hopes that somehow, someway all four scientists manage to reunite in the future, I'd love to see the banter that would come from that.

So i guess the angle for Queen and Sanji is cyborg vs Iron Man. Makes sense i suppose. Time for Sunker to wail on a stupid science bitch with all his jock might lol. And mind rape darkness aside the gifters turning on them gave some nice looking pages. As for Who's Who, i'm not a huge fan of the implications about the Gomu Gomu fruit or the six forms but i guess we'll see how badly it plays out y'know

By that way that is not a chimpanzee in the cover art.

Would you look at that, Who's-Who became interesting.

Glad that this chapter reinforced the worth of the Gifters, because people told me as if Kaido only needed the All Stars and Flying Six, and that everyone else are worthless fighters like Usopp, because they’re not fighters like Zoro, Sanji, or Admirals.

With this Jinbe vs Who's Who, Brook is definitely the only Straw Hat member to have never fought a CP9 member. Kinda trivia shit here
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

With this Jinbe vs Who's Who, Brook is definitely the only Straw Hat member to have never fought a CP9 member. Kinda trivia shit here
    Well unless Black Maria turns out to also be from CP9. Speaking of which, I hope we get more on their fight soon.

Joy Boy
    Monet's HAPPY shirt
    SAD
    SMILE fruit
    MADS research team

What's next? GLAD or perhaps SCOWL? Yeah, SCOWL is the guess for me.

So where are these Gifters, Pleasures, and Waiters going to do after the war? It seems Tama's powers have no time limit. Broken brainwashing to the extreme. She should give them to Usopp to be part of his 8000 followers. That's about ~4500, maybe more.

I was thinking Who's Who was from Aigis so CP9 is not far off. It's interesting that he escaped jail...does that mean he escaped Impel Down as a level 6 prisoner!? This is looking like a great fight with exposition which Jinbe gets to show his mettle.

Zoro after getting "healed" will fight King as there is no way Zoro will let Sanji outshine him in taking down a top officer. Zoro must be a masochist as he keeps putting himself through physical abuse. From cutting his ankles, to taking on Luffy's pain on TB, and now this.
    Bounty: 382M Quirks: High Places | Garchu
    Roles: Ship Guard | Ship's Cat | Lookout
    Clues: Ch 175 | Statue | Foxy Flag | Paw DF
    Dreams: Travel w/ PK | The Dawn
    Survival: Moon Resurrection | Will of P

Where is Denjiro?

For someone who was so consumed with hatred and anger that his entire face changed, he hasn't really done anything of worth.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Another thing that I've been thinking for a while is that Jinbe vs. Who's Who does not feel like a definitive match-up for me. I mean, it's a pretty hard effort to be a match to a Warlord who was able to hold off Big Mom and Akainu in the past. I feel something will still stop their fight and Jinbe will end up with a stronger opponent. Who's Who knowing Jinbe from a past encounter had the potential of making it somewhat personal, but Who's Who's earlier appearances seemed to make him an opponent to Drake, and now his past as a former government secret agent turned pirate further makes him a counterpart to Drake, a marine mole pretending to be a pirate. So, I'm a little more convinced that there will be some more switcheroo. Which will also free Apoo to face Brook.
    I think it's definitive since Who's Who whole grudge is directed to the Gomu Gomu, which Drake has nothing to do with.

Plus, when Oda actually bothers to draw fights nowadays, it's because they're serious. If it was not final, he would've just offscreened it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    I think it's definitive since Who's Who whole grudge is directed to the Gomu Gomu, which Drake has nothing to do with.

Plus, when Oda actually bothers to draw fights nowadays, it's because they're serious. If it was not final, he would've just offscreened it.
    I mean, Queen didn’t like Drake being a suspicious spy and switching sides like that, and Who’s-Who didn’t either.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post

I see this as like the scene Luffy asks Law to take Zoro and go, he'd handle Kaido from then on. I said Luffy was overconfident and it wasn't time for him to surpass Kaido. Because of that, I thought Law would disobey him and stay. Everyone challenged that because Oda's intention seemed clear and all... And then Luffy was defeated soon after.

Call be stubborn, but I don't feel Who's Who's silly grudge as enough of a character motivation as to why Jinbe must be his opponent. I also still don't feel like Who's Who is a threat for Jinbe, who should get no less than a commander as an opponent. With Who's Who being the one that led Drake into a trap, I can see Drake assuming the fight against him later.

I think Jinbe in the end will get a commander, either Jack (I'm still not confident Inu will get a real match-up) or, my personal bet, Smoothie (if the Big Mom Pirates do appear in Act 4).
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post

someway all four scientists manage to reunite in the future.
    They will reunite and crown cooking as the best science and sanji world's greatest scientist.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information