+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamato’s role in the story.

Default Yamato’s role in the story.

A thread focusing on Yamato, and how the focus on the character has increased after only a year of being introduced to the extent of being involved in plot-driven aspects such as safeguarding Momo for the dawn of the world and challenging an Emperor alongside Luffy, as well as what future may hold for the character.
    Last edited by electricmastro; June 22nd, 2021 at 01:01 PM.

Default Re: Yamato’s role in the story.

I feel like I know him, but I don't know him. That makes me question (mods can move this if it's meant to be in another thread) which Straw Hat's skill/attribute was the least obvious and took the longest to recognize after they were introduced.

I think Robin popping up at the end of WP arc makes her the winner.

I feel like Kaido wanting Yamato to be the Shogun of New Onigashima is a hint. He knows his son best. Even if Yamato doesn't want it. Garp could have chose so many professions for Luffy and Ace, but he wanted them to be Marines. It was the closest way to redirect them from that path. Ace and Luffy were meant to travel the world and fight.

Now how do I apply Shogun to Yamato in that same way? Kaido is trying to replicate Beehive/Fullalead, the spot where the Rocks crew and the Davy Back Games originated. It's a "paradise". Oden didn't want to be Shogun either, but he was meant to be. His actions were selfish, but he also wanted to improve Wano. He was just naturally the leader.

Even tho I feel there's a lot of build up based on how Kaido views Yamato, there's a chance that he is meant for something completely unrelated. Skill/attributes of the crew are always linked to their goal which is their role in the story.

Since the beginning, I was expecting a twist about Yamato. At first I thought he'd be evil, but that quickly fell off.

My current theory (waiting for more clues) is that Yamato was bred because Kaido needed someone to be "Joy Boy". Since he has shown knowledge in that regard, he may know what it means. Maybe only a D can act as a Joy Boy, and so Yamato is born from a woman from the D clan.

This seems to explain why Kaido wanted Yamato to be shogun. He knows something about Wano's importance. Maybe, in his own way, he's planning to "open the borders" of Wano (to all pirates who join him).

So, for now, I'm expecting Kaido to reveal drop these infobombs on Yamato during their fight. Yamato has a fate set for him by his father, and his quest is be to challenge that fate.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I feel like I know him, but I don't know him. That makes me question (mods can move this if it's meant to be in another thread) which Straw Hat's skill/attribute was the least obvious and took the longest to recognize after they were introduced.

I think Robin popping up at the end of WP arc makes her the winner.

I feel like Kaido wanting Yamato to be the Shogun of New Onigashima is a hint. He knows his son best. Even if Yamato doesn't want it. Garp could have chose so many professions for Luffy and Ace, but he wanted them to be Marines. It was the closest way to redirect them from that path. Ace and Luffy were meant to travel the world and fight.

Now how do I apply Shogun to Yamato in that same way? Kaido is trying to replicate Beehive/Fullalead, the spot where the Rocks crew and the Davy Back Games originated. It's a "paradise". Oden didn't want to be Shogun either, but he was meant to be. His actions were selfish, but he also wanted to improve Wano. He was just naturally the leader.

https://i.imgur.com/tQJxSqP.jpg?1
    https://i.imgur.com/l3tke3L.jpg?1
    https://i.imgur.com/tQJxSqP.jpg?1

Even tho I feel there's a lot of build up based on how Kaido views Yamato, there's a chance that he is meant for something completely unrelated. Skill/attributes of the crew are always linked to their goal which is their role in the story.
    Usually a character shows or at least alludes to their occupation in the arc they were introduced in, with even Robin’s skill in acquiring and passing on crucial information like Mr. 0’s true identity being mentioned in the Whisky Peak arc. Yamato seems keen on and does well in defending and fighting for other people, like attacking Ulti for Luffy and protecting Momo and Shinobu from Sasaki, so maybe a bodyguard would suit her best.

So after the latest chapter, is anyone here at least a little more inclined to feel that Yamato joining alongside Luffy and his journey makes sense for the story?

I thought this thread was deleted. I remember looking for it some weeks back and couldn't find it.

Will Yamato eventually outgrow his Oden-cosplay or is it a permanent feature of the character? For me that's the most pressing issue as I like the visual design of the character alot but hate the Oden-shtick.

Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    Will Yamato eventually outgrow his Oden-cosplay or is it a permanent feature of the character? For me that's the most pressing issue as I like the visual design of the character alot but hate the Oden-shtick.
    He's ALREADY outgrowing it. He made his first appeal to Momo as his father, and then went "but my other name is Yamato!" And that's what he's using to face down Kaidou. He's not even using twin swords!

Now that he doesn't need a fantasy escape for his situation, he's grown into his own pretty rapidly.

And even if he does keep the distinctly Japanese outfit, Oda rarely keeps the cast in the same clothes twice, so it'll look different.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    He's ALREADY outgrowing it. He made his first appeal to Momo as his father, and then went "but my other name is Yamato!" And that's what he's using to face down Kaidou. He's not even using twin swords!

Now that he doesn't need a fantasy escape for his situation, he's grown into his own pretty rapidly.

And even if he does keep the distinctly Japanese outfit, Oda rarely keeps the cast in the same clothes twice, so it'll look different.
    I thought so too but then when we last saw him facing off with Kaido he said he has to defend Wano or he cannot call himself Oden. Oh well, we will see.

Yamato basically made it apparent that she was cosplaying as Oden as a means to be free to Luffy, and seems desperate to carry on Oden’s will as much as she could as a means to free not just herself, but the rest of Wano, which Oden himself failed to do. Ace also made it apparent that there’s also unfinished business to settle internally after he called out her chained heart, so it seems to be only a matter of time that she has to decide whether to be Oden for Oden’s sake or for herself after the Wano arc ends.
    Last edited by electricmastro; July 23rd, 2021 at 06:45 PM.

Yamato is Luffy's wings

People still want Sanji's pervy ways and Usopp's cowardice to be tempered. Good luck with "I want to be Oden" going away.

The point is to add on to the character. Luffy will still be Luffy, but when Pedro dies, he shows his growth. Sanji will still be himself, but he will shout for Robin's help with all his might.

If Yamato joins, I can easily see his character getting development 1 day. Doesn't have to be as soon as he joined, unless you're 1 of those readers that think only little can be done because the series is almost over.

People still want Sanji's pervy ways and Usopp's cowardice to be tempered. Good luck with "I want to be Oden" going away.

The point is to add on to the character. Luffy will still be Luffy, but when Pedro dies, he shows his growth. Sanji will still be himself, but he will shout for Robin's help with all his might.

If Yamato joins, I can easily see his character getting development 1 day. Doesn't have to be as soon as he joined, unless you're 1 of those readers that think only little can be done because the series is almost over.
    I suspect feeling the freedom of sailing the seas with Luffy and being unchained from Kaido in her heart will incline her to come to terms with becoming Oden soon enough.

IMO she can be Oden or she can be a Nakama. The cosplay trait in itself is annoying, and cosplaying as Oden, one of the worst characters in the Manga, is plain insufferable. A shame cause visually Yamato is amazing

IMO she can be Oden or she can be a Nakama. The cosplay trait in itself is annoying, and cosplaying as Oden, one of the worst characters in the Manga, is plain insufferable. A shame cause visually Yamato is amazing
    There is a chance that Oda does both, even if the audience feel it's annoying. If that becomes true, I see him treating Yamato like most nakama. Adding onto them, so they aren't one dimensional.

There is a chance that Oda does both, even if the audience feel it's annoying. If that becomes true, I see him treating Yamato like most nakama. Adding onto them, so they aren't one dimensional.
    Yamato joining as Oden is one of two possibilities right now that would seriously make my interest in One Piece drop, the other being Oda pulling a repeat of Ace/Marineford with Sabo.

Yamato joining as Oden is one of two possibilities right now that would seriously make my interest in One Piece drop, the other being Oda pulling a repeat of Ace/Marineford with Sabo.
    I think Sabo gets something different, but ultimately the same purpose as Ace to serve for Luffy.

I can see why I am Oden would bother many.

I think Sabo gets something different, but ultimately the same purpose as Ace to serve for Luffy.

I can see why I am Oden would bother many.
    While not a message I think has been particularly emphasized on in the manga, I recall Oda mentioning in an SBS that he always tries to stay true to himself, in that you should be yourself in going along with your own values as opposed to the values of others, as if to cave in to someone’s expectation, so maybe this is his chance to emphasize on that mindset full-force with Yamato.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

The whole Yamato needs to drop the Oden idolizing shtick in order to join or at all as a character in order to grow seems to be something totally fan generated. Might be even a western fan thing cuz I never ger that sort of feedback from friends who are fans living in Japan.

Not sure anything in the story is pointing to Yamato dropping that. Especially when he has admitted other characters like Luffy can be more "Oden" than him.

Really seems Oda is just going to continue that as a quirky character trait no different than Sanji's swooning, Brook panty and bone/dead jokes, and Chopper's insult you shyness.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I can easily see Yamato further in the story stop for a moment to think to "what Oden would've done in that same situation" and then start rampaging "the Oden way".
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information