+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 301

Thread: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

  1. #61
    aka demonicpoodle Kaworu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Proud believer in "Xebec is Alive"

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016 - It's me, OTama!

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I know i'm just opening up myself for ridicule here, but this chapter honestly makes me question what OP will be like going forward.
    Here? Of all places?


    ---

    Said my thoughts on the chapter many times in the spoiler thread, the Ulti stuff would've been good but Big Mom interfered in a big way, Pageone is just a huge nope. Nami's powerup is awesome and inventive, as if her weapon ate a Devil Fruit, so that helps things a lot. This fight would just be infinitely better if Big Mom never interfered, and somehow Pageone gets put to sleep or distracted until the Ulti fight is finished. And then you never injure Ulti besides from Usopp/Nami.
    Certainly not a chapter that "sucks all the tension out of the arc", that makes no sense since Kiku and Kin'emon died a chapter ago (unless you believe they'll be revived), but yeah, certainly sloppy.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    If they keep losing 3,000 soldiers every 10 chapters, there will be no need of Sulong by the time they reach the Capital.

    Its more than likely that all battles, from randoms to Calamities will be won already, it'll be just Kaido threathening the citizens with dropping Onigashima over

    -- over
    It'd probably be overkill for the main battle, but it might be a good way for an injured Cat or Dog to get that final hit in against Jack or Pero. Certainly doesn't have to happen (the full moon could be there for the symbolism and prophecy references, or Oda might just have liked it aesthetically for that scene) but definitely worth keeping in mind that it's an option.

  3. #63
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    I just don't understand why Oda would rob Nami and Usopp of a clean victory like this. Why would he do that? Even if he wants to clearly keep them the weakest Straw Hats, Ulti and Paypay would have been absolutely in their ballpark for a desperate encounter, with still more than enough room to grow between now and their Blackbeard opponents (who will be all Impel Down 6 quality, if not now then by the time the crew encounters them).

    Now they'll be leaving this arc as the weaklings who needed an Emperor to do 90% of the job for them.
    Like, I just don't get why it was so important to make that point, that no, they're absolutely not ready to combat even the weakest commanders of an Emperor's crew. Not even with their own bag of dirty tricks. I don't understand why Oda wouldn't want to have fun with such a scenario, a scenario he himself teased when Nami & Usopp taunted them away from the main stage.

    Which honestly makes me consider that this will be the way for everyone else as well. They fight their designated opponents, but it won't come to a conclusion for various reasons. What if this is not the arc where they take down Yonkou commanders, but just the arc where they prove that they can at least keep them occupied? Either because they are...

    - ...too weak to finish them themselves (Nami / Usopp / Chopper)

    - ...strong enough, but also lacking the stamina to keep up for hours (Franky, Robin, Brook)

    - ...technically strong enough to properly beat their opponents, but it would take the usual one or two days because their enemies play in a similiar ballpark (Sanji, Jinbe)

    While Zoro will get up for one final wankattack later, probably doing a Gold Roger CoC Divine Departure sword move to oneshot all the remaining Numbers or what.
    _________

    And while everyone is busy not really winning their fights, Luffy beats Kaido and thus shatters the resolve of the Beast Pirates (reverse scenario, just that virtually everyone will abandon Kaido because they had no real attachement to begin with. Except for Jacku. Jacku will stay and carry a beaten Kaido into the sunset. Just those two.)
    Last edited by Jabra; June 14th, 2021 at 04:03 AM.



  4. #64

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    They fight their designated opponents, but it won't come to a conclusion for various reasons. What if this is not the arc where they take down Yonkou commanders, but just the arc where they prove that they can at least keep them occupied? Either because they are...
    That's fine for a midpoint and "we still have room to grow" perpective, and given that we still have giant/admirals/blackbeards to go, they can't be at the tip top of their games just yet... and the beast pirates are at the top.... but that would be pretty unsatisfying overall.


    Oda's never done an arc before where Luffy beats the big bad *first* though, so he might be willing to do it just once to shake up expectations... as long as everyone gets good solid wins after that... but I can only imagine that leading to a fishman island scenario where the whole crew gets big impact pages one after another rather than anything individually satisfying.

    And if he was going the morale broken simultaneous win route then why have 2/6 of them down already? Why not show off all the other fights more in depth first? Its just weird pacing all around.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    It seems to me that Oda has given priority to severing the link between Zeus/Tama and Big Mum in a logical way at the expense of Nami and Usopp fight.
    It's really disapointing and I wish he could have found a way to do both.

    My wish is that the 2 will now help Law and Kid fighting Big Mum but I prefer not be too hopeful anymore

  6. #66

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    The way Oda decided to resolve the Nami and Ulti does have me worried that that conclusions for the other fights may end in similar fashion. Which would be very unsatisfying in a lot of ways. .

    Let's hope it doesn't go that route
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

  7. #67

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016 - It's me, OTama!

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I just imagine what if this wasn't a singular lapse in judgement? What if this is how it'll be from here on out? And if i personally will be able to draw the same entertainment i used to from a story where the mains i used to love get relegated more and more to the sidelines while their feats and moments get divided to whatever side character happens to be around atm.
    The concern is shared. I can live with Straw Hats getting less screentime if the secondary characters are interesting (they usually are) and the mains' performance is still noteworthy. However, the Namisopp fight is nowhere near that and, thinking back about it, it's been ages since anyone outside the monster trio had a truly jaw-dropping moment. The first that comes to my mind is Usopp sniping Sugar, but after that I'm under the impression many fights were either guest-starred by other characters or not all that interesting. From Robin spectating the Diamante battle to fishmen and Vinsmokes taking the spotlight in WCI, or Chopper vs Brulee ; off-panel Sanji vs PageOne. And now this. The next Strawhat fights will set the tone I guess, so I'm waiting for them with a mix of dread and excitment.

  8. #68
    Discovered Stowaway DarkHamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LlamaWorld

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    haki for all! jk. Regarding Nami/Ussop not given fights. I don't expect them to be their top form yet, since we still have several arcs to go. BUT when you have luffy and zoro doing the shit they can do, the differences make the lack of growth for the other SHs more glaring.

    Just re-read the arc and honestly Big Mom pirates felt more of a threat. Like half of her children have bounties and she has officers that rival the headliners. The commanders feel more of a threat at least initially than the All-stars. And there's 3-5 of her children that can rival the Tobiroppo easily. Queen is a joke at this point. And Jack is a punching bag even if he's a threat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    The concern is shared. I can live with Straw Hats getting less screentime if the secondary characters are interesting (they usually are) and the mains' performance is still noteworthy. However, the Namisopp fight is nowhere near that and, thinking back about it, it's been ages since anyone outside the monster trio had a truly jaw-dropping moment. The first that comes to my mind is Usopp sniping Sugar, but after that I'm under the impression many fights were either guest-starred by other characters or not all that interesting. From Robin spectating the Diamante battle to fishmen and Vinsmokes taking the spotlight in WCI, or Chopper vs Brulee ; off-panel Sanji vs PageOne. And now this. The next Strawhat fights will set the tone I guess, so I'm waiting for them with a mix of dread and excitment.
    Yeah when has the SHs gotten big moments except something that looks good, sound "loud" but end up getting them squashed? Brook had that great double spread....but he got his ass kicked. I mean sure he ended up getting the red road poneglyph but not growth there. Oda could've still give him a power up this arc after his encounter with big mom's soru soru no mi and learn to better utilize yomi yomi no mi for example. Regarding secondary character, the red scabbards were good...but they feel forgotten already in the story.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Honestly the Nami fight wouldn't have been so bad (for me at least) if getting Ulti beaten up by someone else had been the plan all along and not just something that happened.

    For example, Nami tries fighting, doesn't work and she just about manages to escape, realises she needs help, spots Big Mom fighting Kidd, baits Ulti to launch herself at her, goes through a fake, through a wall and right into Big Moms ample backside. A dazed Ulti then gets pummelled by both Mom and Kidd for interrupting their fight and down she goes, with Nami claiming it as her victory.
    You could even have a battered Ulti pop up again looking for revenge, with Nami (powered up or not) now capable of handling it herself.

    It's basically what happened originally, but like I said, to me everybody would have come off looking a bit better.

    (Ussop could then get a fight with Page One, where he uses traps and long range sniping to eventually blast Page One off of the island 'Early Series Luffy' style, this leads into a Cover Story where Ulti has a series of wacky adventures searching for her Pay Pay).

  10. #70
    Division Commander Daz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Limbo

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    I see people referring to Zeus as a "Power Up" for Nami, and it just doesn't feel right. He's a really strong companion that helps Nami out, not any extension of Namis skills, knowledge or strategizing. It feels pretty damning for Namis involvement in this fight that it could play out in an identical fashion regardless of her having the Zeus-tact or not, as long as Zeus was in the vicinity. Nami attacks Ulti, she dodges, Zeus follows and hits her.

    With the most RPG-minded approach you can classify this as a "power up" for Nami because she acquires a familiar with high stats and special attributes, but in actuality Namis own involvement in Ultis defeat is very minimal.

    And fuck, its even more depressing when you look at the whole picture of this ""fight""

    - After the big "Straw Hats are here to kick ass and take names!!" spread leads into setting up Ulti+Pageone vs Nami + Usopp, this IMMEDIATELY cuts to Nami and Usopp decimated offscreen, their personal efforts having failed. Despite Usopp arguing she should save her own skin, Nami stands up to Ulti on principle...and gets saved at the last second by an elementary schooler and her big dog.
    - When they are unable to shake the big lumbering dino-bros due to failure of their personal efforts, Nami and Usopp are saved from Pageone by a conveniently appearing Big Mom.
    - Despite Usopp arguing she should save her own skin, Nami stands up to Ulti on principle...again... and we cut to her best efforts IMMEDIATELY failing, and her being saved at the last second by Big Mom. Again.
    - And now, despite Nami trying her best effort to take down a seriously damaged base-form Ulti, she fails yet again and the opponent is finally drained of the last of her HP by an independently acting Zeus.

    (And before all that, Nami also had to be saved at the last second by a conveniently arriving Franky.)

    Its Rebecca all over again. Regardless of "oh they're outgunned/its a poor matchup" or whatever, the thing that rankles is that these characters, Nami in particular, keep trying their damndest, and keep failing, again and again and again. Its so unfulfilling.
    Last edited by Daz; June 14th, 2021 at 07:06 AM.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    There is just too much wrong with current One Piece. Nami being no exception.

    Besides, what exactly was the point of Nami's "Luffy becomes Pirate King" declaration some chapters ago? Was it supposed to be emotional? Because, no, it doesn't work. It had no lasting impact or meaningful consequences nor did anyone react to it in any meaningful way. Instead it just felt like an item on Oda's To-Do-List which can get checked off, too.

    Unless I'm supposed to root for the Beast Pirates because that's what I'm doing these days. Because I like rooting for the underdog.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

  12. #72
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I see people referring to Zeus as a "Power Up" for Nami, and it just doesn't feel right. He's a really strong companion that helps Nami out, not any extension of Namis skills, knowledge or strategizing. It feels pretty damning for Namis involvement in this fight that it could play out in an identical fashion regardless of her having the Zeus-tact or not, as long as Zeus was in the vicinity. Nami attacks Ulti, she dodges, Zeus follows and hits her.

    With the most RPG-minded approach you can classify this as a "power up" for Nami because she acquires a familiar with high stats and special attributes, but in actuality Namis own involvement in Ultis defeat is very minimal.
    This isn't correct, at least as far as I understand it. Even when Zeus was a pure cloud homie under Nami's command, he was *nothing* without her knowledge about weather and specifically the skills she trained 2 years for (esp. weather egg). And Oda made sure that this fact is always highlighted, he even wasted entire panels on Nami conjuring weather balls before going to town with Zeus.

    So the homies can be powered up in two ways:

    1. They consume their element

    2. They're directly powered through Big Mom pumping her soulpower into them


    Option two is obviously out of the window now, which means Zeus can only ever be powered up by consuming nearby thunder. Zeus, without Nami fueling him with her lightning moves, is practically worthless unless the natural weather happens to be an ongoing thunderstorm.

    Zeus can do nothing on his own, he just gives Nami's abilities life. He *is* literally an extension of her abilities! It's like Usopp's relationship with his plants, just in reverse:

    Usopp is responsible for the Pop Greens to hit the target, while the growing plant does the heavy lifting. Zeus, on the other hand, makes sure that Nami's attacks connect (or form in a certain way in the first place), but Nami is still doing the heavy lifting.

    And as for strategic use in future battles? Well, I would say lets wait and see, because she has that feature for a few minutes now.

    I think it's a fitting upgrade for her and I don't think she's being carried by something she didn't work for. She's a weather-witch and a (soul-)thief, and Zeus is her familiar, like you say.

    ____

    The other stuff you posted... uff. It's even harder to swallow when you look at it chronologically. I really don't understand this at all. Like it's so underwhelming it must be intentional. Like the rick roll is waiting around the corner.



  13. #73

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    I'm also disappointed for Nami and Usopp but at the same time I realize that Ulti/Page 1 aren't that far below the enemies they will likely face at the end of the series. Emperor veteran level fighters competing to become commander. If the two weakest crewmembers were able to deal with these type of fighters right now it would be difficult to create tension for the final battle without going full power creep.
    Frustration is normal but having Nami being carried through against an opponent at Ulti level despite all her determination will end up being the better choice long term.
    On the positive I really like the Zeus Tact and the possibilites it offers, this chapter Nami was mostly a spectator but I believe it was to showcase the abilities. In the next fights Nami will be more control. It's not like Zeus can attack by itself, Nami needs to "summon" him and launch the moves herself. As Zeus said, he's here to assist.
    I'm not as negative as I could have been because I believe the two weaklings role isn't over yet. (Although Oda wil likely take a little break from them to show the adult trio and Jinbe first)


    Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    So, I just saw this on twitter: "Nami's habit of giving silly uninspired names is such an unappreciated trait of hers" - and now I'm like...wait, Nami has a habit of giving uninspired names to things or people?

    Is anyone taking notes of said moments? Now I'm genuinely curious.
    What's coming in my mind right now :
    Eyelashes (Alabasta Camel)
    Scissors (Alabasta crab)
    Long Nose (Sogeking/Usopp in W7/EL)
    Cape (How she would have named Raid Suit Sanji, SBS 94)
    Cotton/Fluff (Zeus this chapter)

  14. #74
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016 - It's me, OTama!

    Quote Originally Posted by ArseneWenger View Post
    Because there are no seastone craftsmen good enough outside of Wano. It was established already during this arc
    Well even then, you know how these stories go. There was that one stonemason/craftsmen that left Wano and actually forged a sword out of seastone or that one foreigner that came to Wano with seastone and went to the best swordsmith (Kitetsu or Hitetsu) and got a sword made of it.

    That aside I'm surprised Vegapunk with all of his future tech that provides the marines with all sorts of seastone weapons hasn't come up with the simple assembly line like process to make a sword with a bunch of machines.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  15. #75
    Discovered Stowaway Riddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    I empathize with a lot of the complaints about the anticlimactic nature of this chapter. I'm similiarly disappointed with how Namis and Ultis fight turned out, tho not by Ulti's portrayal throughout - she has been a huge badass. If the other Flying Six will be able to tank this much damage, then damn, this will be a tough battle.

    Despite my disappointment, I'm not quite as disheartened as some. I regard this more as a singular misstep. The depiction of the Strawhats during the raid has been overall good, after all. Most of the Strawhats have had a fair amount of screentime and Robin and Chopper in particular had some of their best moments in years, while Sanji had one of his most badass ones last chapter. So for now, I don't think there is that much cause for concern about how Oda will depict the weaker Strawhats in the future. If all of the fights turn out similarly disappointing, then I'm with you.

    I feel like people are also mixing together two different types of complaints, one which is valid and one which is not. One complaint is that the Strawhats not named Luffy or Zorro don't get much screentime, and I feel thats kinda unfair, because Oda has given a lot of focus to Nami and Usopp in recent chapters, and in particular to building up Zeus becoming a permanent power-up for Nami. So the problem is not that Oda isn't focusing on the other Strawhats - which makes the complaint that he is pushing them aside to focus on cool, new side characters invalid - but rather that most of us aren't satisfied with the content of their scenes, which is an entirely different matter.

    And that's a complaint that seems a lot more valid to me, that Oda is sort of undermining the feats of the weaker Strawhats for some reason. And that's the thing, I can't discern why exactly he is doing that. Is he just trying to illustrate that some of the Strawhats really need a power-up to take on these enemies? Because that would be reasonable and not a case of bad writing imo. Like, I can understand why he portrays Nami not standing a chance against Ulti in general if this is meant to convey the importance of her getting Zeus as a power-up. But then why not have her defeat Ulti at full health to make the victory more impressive and badass? It's just...weird and rather unlike Oda to write such an anticlimax to a fight.

  16. #76

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    What are the shots that all 11 SHs have CoC. Roger's crew and rocks had 5-6, if luffy's crew will be the best all time, he needs to have more.

  17. #77

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Agree with all criticisms regarding Nami's fight.

    Seems like One Piece is still a manga about fights and cool superpowers, but it isn't so much a manga about the strawhats. This fight represented no growth or character building for Nami or Usopp, so it felt unsatisfying.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    My biggest problem with current OP is that it completely lacks a proper central theme. Instead all of the emotional foundation is hidden behind some vague prophecy stuff.

    So the story is about opening Wano's borders? But why? Is there any actual given reason - aside from the prophesy and the upcoming Dawn? Did we witness a single situation in which we were actually shown some concrete misery where the main source of problem is the shut down borders?
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    What are the shots that all 11 SHs have CoC. Roger's crew and rocks had 5-6, if luffy's crew will be the best all time, he needs to have more.
    I think Rocks was a cautionary tale that you cannot have many conquerors on one boat.

    Plus they really don't need it since none of the others have ambitions that involve being better than other people at something.

    Only Luffy and Zoro have that and that's why they've developed an ability that lets them suppress the Will of other people.

    Nami, Franky, Brook, Robin, Chopper and Jinbei(what is his dream btw) don't have to knock people out to accomplish their goals. Luffy and Zoro kind of do.

    Ussop, though, has a very strong chance of having it. It would be the physical embodiment of him finally achieving that arbitrary title of Brave warrior of the sea.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    My biggest problem with current OP is that it completely lacks a proper central theme. Instead all of the emotional foundation is hidden behind some vague prophecy stuff.

    So the story is about opening Wano's borders? But why? Is there any actual given reason - aside from the prophesy and the upcoming Dawn? Did we witness a single situation in which we were actually shown some concrete misery where the main source of problem is the shut down borders?
    Umm..yes. We have.

    If Wano wasn't closed off, the marines could have probably done something to liberate Wano(at least in the eyes of Wano Citizens.).

    Remember one of the main reasons the marines don't interfere in Wano, is because they perceive it as a country made up of strong samurai warriors. They probably think Wano is Sparta or something.

    However, because of closed borders, no one knows 90% of the population is starving and half-dead.

    We also know that the Revolutionary army did not interfere because of the same reasons.

    All of Odin's powerful friends did not interfere, because of the same reasons.

    Wano could have received help along time ago but their isolationism led to 20 years of hell.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    But the core problem of Wano's suffering isn't the border issue. It's because it's ruled by shitty people - Kaido and Orochi. Besides, the border issue goes for centuries, but the people weren't starving and half-dead for centuries, too, were they?

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    To rephrase my question: What exactly prevented Oden's father and his ancestors to just open the borders? Is there any comprehensible reason which is not gated by the prophecy?
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts