+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

Default Re: Chapter 1,016 - It's me, OTama!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I just imagine what if this wasn't a singular lapse in judgement? What if this is how it'll be from here on out? And if i personally will be able to draw the same entertainment i used to from a story where the mains i used to love get relegated more and more to the sidelines while their feats and moments get divided to whatever side character happens to be around atm.
    I don't think it's fair to say that Nami was relegated to the sidelines. I'm also not very satisfied with the outcome of this battle but it's undeniable that this whole Ulti/P1/BM situation DID give Nami a lot of screentime and focus. I had the exact same worry as you during acts 1 and 2 of Wano, but in Onigashima i'm pretty happy with how much spotlight the SHs have gotten so far.

let's all hope Oda does not ruin Robin fight like he did with this one

Got lots to say that I'll reiterate more or less from the spoiler thread but for now...

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    So, I just saw this on twitter: "Nami's habit of giving silly uninspired names is such an unappreciated trait of hers" - and now I'm like...wait, Nami has a habit of giving uninspired names to things or people?

Is anyone taking notes of said moments? Now I'm genuinely curious.
    Aside from Scissors the only other thing that comes to mind is calling Usopp "Nose King" while they were at Enies Lobby. It was like the second name she gave him during that arc. I definitely remember Usopp remarking now it sounded nothing like Sniper King.

One thing about Nami winning in part because she had a hand from Big Mom. At least no one can complain a future threat by an Emperor's commander/executive will be diminished. Nami had help here and hopefully in the future she receives none or significantly less help the this time around.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

Author Comments 6/13/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga-musing-06-13-2021

Eiichiro Oda

The small figurines that are currently being designed behind the scenes are amazing! What kind of technique is this?!

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Ok after the complete turnaround that happened in the previous chapter, tension in this arc is at an all time low. Nobody stays down, everyone magically gets back up. If only Oda could actually kill characters, this arc would be a million times better. Instead characters survive and ruin the tension of the arc.

Hopefully the Kaido - Yamato flashback comes soon. I couldn't care less for the atrocious Tama plotline.

3/10 chapter. Only the last couple of pages were good. Ulti is also awesome.
    Agree. I really hate the way Nami wins. No tension AT ALL. And this is after teasing us with awesome match up alongside Usopp. I really hope other SH match ups dont suffer this treatment. Crews other than Luffy and Zoro deserve all their moments.

Ulti also doesnt deserve this lame way to lose. What a waste of character.

Tama sub plot is also horrendous...

The only thing interesting in this chapter is Yamato vs Kaido prologue.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Interesting how the Straw Hats have gained someone who potentially knows quite a bit of history from like 40-50 years ago that most people might not know about.
    Last edited by electricmastro; June 13th, 2021 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    let's all hope Oda does not ruin Robin fight like he did with this one
    Didn't "this fight" start with Usopp attacking Page One; hiding behind Nami, then proceeding to run away from them? I'm not sure Oda ruined anything more so than people having unreasonable expectations.

Did the blast mostly hit Ulti’s cape?

Ok so, this chapter pretty much confirms that this is the point where the Beast Pirate's fall becomes inevitable.

I'm still confident Apoo, Hawkins and Fukurokuju will follow, either after or before the flashback hits, eveyone else will be defeated before reaching the Capital.

I'm hyping myself with the possibility that the 9 Shadows moment occurs right in the Capital, and with Tenguyama present there, he could be the one repeating Toki's prophesy insteaf of the narrator, while all the citizens wittness it.

Its possible that most fighters will be out of comission by then, Zoro almost reaches that point for example.

9 Shadows will be the last men standing.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post

https://i.ibb.co/QrQvpwM/BDCAD6-E5-A...C02-F69-EC.jpg
    I think it went through the her chest and then through the cape. (Minus her not having a hole in her chest.)

I love everything about Nami and Zeus, their interactions are great and Nami getting such a huge power-up is really exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
    I love everything about Nami and Zeus, their interactions are great and Nami getting such a huge power-up is really exciting.
    I also liked how Zeus can turn into physical weapons too like a mace.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post

https://i.ibb.co/QrQvpwM/BDCAD6-E5-A...C02-F69-EC.jpg
    Yeah, Oda played with perspective to make the hit look worse than it actually was.

Kinda like how at Marineford he made Mihawk and Hancock look huge by putting them in the foreground and a smaller marine between them and the other warlords.

Or how Ceaser stabbed the cube holding Monet's heart from an angle that made it look dead on, but he basically missed.

The camera shot was the only angle where it would look super bad but it was actually a grazing hit.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'm thinking its staring to look unlikely that Yamato would have a SH's only cover any soon.

We're currently witnessing the chapters of volume 101, then volumes 102 and 103 would likely portray dramatic situations with Kaido, Luffy and all the characters desperately fighting for their freedom(Kinemon, Tama, Momo, Hyogoro, Yamato), but hardly dedicated to the SH's only.

So I'm thinking, if the arc is still going by 104, then the perfect moment would be volume 105.

We've had full crew covers depicting them "celebrating" their victory, recruitment or reunions, and they sure would have a lot to celebrate at the end of wano+ the context of Jinbro's toast AND Yamato's toast also hinted in chapters 999/1000.

Could very well happen in vol 104, but would depend in Oda rushing things out.

Ulti being defeated as part of Zeus' arc instead of being Nami's main fight reignites my hopes that Nami will end up fighting Galette. Well, with this upgrade, I wouldn't mind if Nami fought Galette, Amande and Compotte all at once.

Yes, the Big Mom Pirates will appear. I'll only stop thinking that once we move to the final Yonko fights.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

This chapter steps on the brakes a little compared to the last two. It figures we couldn't keep up that kind of pacing forever, but it still obviously feels like a step back. On the other hand, the official end of a main one on one fight is a big signal that the end is close for Wano, and there'll probably be more big leaps forward like it in the coming weeks.
    Also hey, I made a few good guesses last week:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    My best guess for the how of Zeus's fusion is that Hera ate his cloud body, but the bit of Big Mom soul animating him leapt into the Clima Tact instead. It's a new Homie with all the memories of the old one. There's probably no way for Nami to summon him out of it in cloud form like she did before though, now that that body is 100% gone. But I don't see it changing too much of his abilities. We saw him and Prometheus change the weather to a full-on storm with rain and strong wind back on Whole Cake Island, so he was at least partly an all-purpose weather hack already, despite the focus on lightning.
    I was off the mark on Nami not being able to summon him in cloud form, and I don't think anyone expected the shapeshifting aspect, but otherwise, the talk of being reborn and not being able to leave voluntarily sure sound like a new Homie's been made out of the tact to me.

I also said

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Although, the chapter does raise the question of why [Tama] isn't doing what Momo does and grabbing a Mary. How does her power work over radio waves or magic devil fruit comms?
    Which turns out to be exactly what she does. Nice!

I've also been on team Ulti gets back up for weeks now, but that one isn't worth patting myself on the back over.
    The opening scene with Toko and Hitetsu is very sweet, but it also has two interesting details. The first is the clear skies over the capital, showing the full moon. Could we be in for a Sulong second wind in the final stages of Onigashima's journey? Second is the bonfire built big enough to be visible from the heavans. I will be shocked if there isn't a big moment where someone spots its light from the flying island a few chapters from now. Or if we don't have Luffy and Momo using it as a beacon to get to the capitol on their return flight or *something* like that.

CP0's battle updates are always welcome. Remember that there are only around 500 Gifters, so Tama's broadcast isn't going to flip a massive number of combatants. I think it's more likely we're going to see exactly how many normal soldiers a Gifter can be worth instead.
    I'm surprised Bao Huang is so sure Momo and Shinobu are dead. Maybe I need to reread the fine details of what Shinobu was up to for 20 years, but she's a known quanity to the Beasts Pirates, right? They know she can do this, don't they?

I had no fear for either of them when they fell last week because aside from the plot armour angle, jumping off the island was a really logical and safe thing for Shinobu to do with her skillset.

I like the attention to detail in Ulti's cloak consistently having a big visible hole where Big Mom's attack went out the back. A lesser author might have forgotten to do more than just burning her top and skirt to show a tasteful amount of midriff and thigh, but Oda's not *just* a perv.

I also enjoy Zues amping up Nami's physical capabilities a level. Like, you couldn't even say the extending trick shown off on Zou has been underutilised because that would imply it's been utilised at all. Zeus could save it from being written off as wasted potential if Oda keeps using him like this. He legitimately brings a lot to the table as a powerup, including being a whole other character to interact with, and I'm glad she'd got him.

His rejection of the new name is a great gag, and I like him helping Nami with the targeting. It makes sense that electricity would arc to its target, right?

And that's about where my praise for Nami VS Ulti ends. It's definitely on the weaker end of both Nami and the series' major clashes. I don't even know if so much of the early stage being offscreen is the issue, like so many others have said. A few more pages of Nami getting physically overwhelmed before she made her big Luffy declaration two dozen chapters ago wouldn't have changed the issues the later stage of the fight has.

Ulti could almost be seen as one of those Resident Evil enemies that shrugs off you attacks and pursues you while you try to solve puzzles and do other stuff, and at the end of the game you finally get access to a souped up rail gun or rocket launcher and get your revenge for the trouble they gave you. Nami is mostly focused on avoiding Ulti and solving the Gifter issue for the whole fight and is rewarded with the extra firepower she needs at the end. But unfortunately, what makes for a satisfying turnaround in a game doesn't land the same way in a manga.

This chapter alone, the scene with the finishing blow, works fine in isolation. But trying to take all the Nami/Ulti scenes up to this point and visualise them as a full sequence, it just doesn't work. The dialogue implies that the main cause of Ulti's defeat was the two big blasts from Big Mom and Nami, rather than the culmination of all the hits she's taken so far (and there've been a lot of them). There's very little sense of give and take in the fight, no push and pull, no calls and responses in the choreography. None of that good stuff that makes a compelling fight. But because Nami was always running and staying one step ahead instead of being backed into a corner, there isn't enough of a desperate atmosphere to make an turnabout from the underdog work either.

Whatever the reason, it just feels like there's something missing from this fight, necessary though it was for it to happen. And Ulti's still a highlight of Kaido's crew, despite the slightly anticlimactic end.

I'm hoping for a better showing from the rest of the crew's fights. Most of the Strawhats are standing their ground instead of running from their opponents anyway, so there's more to build a fight out of with those anyway.
    Does Bao Huang confirm that Page One is down for good as well? I guess no round two for Usopp, which is a shame. Page One staying down probably says something about something. Maybe its just his lower endurance or taking more hits from Usopp and Nami compared to Ulti. Maybe it's the power of Big Mom's CoC coating against an opponent who can't respond in kind.

But there has to be something more for Usopp. Catching Bao Huang isn't big enough to be his scene for the arc, and it isn't presented like the climax of his story here.
    It feels odd not to show Tama actually giving her order and the immediate results of it, especially with the chapter named after her. Is it not there because the chapter's only 15 pages, or is the chapter 15 pages because Oda couldn't fit what he wanted to do in just two more?

I like that we get a bit more of Kaido's dragon form. It always makes for such good looking panels. We also have the clearest signpost yet that Yamato is leaving Wano with the crew. I don't know if I'm totally on board with him in the main cast yet, but I've made my peace with it seeming inevitable, and we'll cross that bridge after it's fully confirmed I guess.

We've known for a while that Wano is special in the grand scheme of things. Something about the country is vital to Joyboy's will and the much-alluded to Dawn. It's been implied it was open to the world in the past. It may even have been an active trade partner to other ancient nations, if there's anything to be read into about its reputation as a "country of gold" and the large amounts of gold found in Shandia without them any obvious mines or smelting ability. Kaido saying he chose Wano because it's special somehow is just a reminder of the kinds of potentially huge revelations waiting in the aftermath of the battle.

It was a short chapter, which is always a shame before a break, but the end of a major fight always gives a decent bit to reflect on. See you all in a couple of weeks for maybe another fight conclusion, if Oda wants to use volume 101 to push Onigashima into its endgame.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

One step closer to big axe wielding Nami

Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    Didn't "this fight" start with Usopp attacking Page One; hiding behind Nami, then proceeding to run away from them? I'm not sure Oda ruined anything more so than people having unreasonable expectations.
    Yeah this idea that Ulti and Paypay deserved better fights is just weird fan projection.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Ok so, this chapter pretty much confirms that this is the point where the Beast Pirate's fall becomes inevitable.

I'm still confident Apoo, Hawkins and Fukurokuju will follow, either after or before the flashback hits, eveyone else will be defeated before reaching the Capital.
    I can actually see the both of them running away.

Apoo cuz thats just his nature when overwhelmed and Hawkins cuz the fates change or w/e with the cards and he just withdraws.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Discovered Stowaway ArseneWenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Yes, Oda has disappointed me there. Specifically after introducing Smoker's seasons tipped jutte.

Seastone is a super strong material. Probably second only to poneglyphs material and equal to steel if not better and no swordsman has decided to make it in to a sword.
    Because there are no seastone craftsmen good enough outside of Wano. It was established already during this arc
    Whichever side wins becomes the Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post

I'm hyping myself with the possibility that the 9 Shadows moment occurs right in the Capital, and with Tenguyama present there, he could be the one repeating Toki's prophesy insteaf of the narrator, while all the citizens wittness it.

Its possible that most fighters will be out of comission by then, Zoro almost reaches that point for example.

9 Shadows will be the last men standing.
    Who do you think the 9 shadows will be?

showing the full moon. Could we be in for a Sulong second wind in the final stages of Onigashima's journey?
    If they keep losing 3,000 soldiers every 10 chapters, there will be no need of Sulong by the time they reach the Capital.

Its more than likely that all battles, from randoms to Calamities will be won already, it'll be just Kaido threathening the citizens with dropping Onigashima over

-- over

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    Who do you think the 9 shadows will be?
    A very random group.

Doing a wild guess out of the blue I'd say;

Usopp
    Nami(cause this two are still at full strenght, thanks to Big Mom)
    Yamato(coming back for his second round), and also to prove to Wano that he has nothing to do with his father's crimes)
    Marco, cause phaesant Momotaro stuff
    Jinbro, who could end up not wasted enough from his versus with WW, and haven't had a chance to face off against Kaido yet
    Diez Drake, as the biggest traitor in Kaido's side.
    Law
    Kidd(cause I still believe Big Mom is not going to be defeated, something else would happen to her)
    Carrot(Mink presence, and prolly her last chance to shine)

Luffy is optional, cause he could be charging Haki(again) I believe there's going to be three rounds(Luffy v Kaido) and we're currently waiting for the second. And Luffy wants to fight Kaido alone anyways.

The 9 Shadows would be giving the last stand defending the citizens in the Capital, until Luffy recharges haki again.

It'll be a randon group like the 4 survivors of Enel's Game, and it'll feel like the SH's fighting Oars until Luffy appeared.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information