+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    I wonder how many ppl thought this during Marineford before Ace died.
    In all honesty; I did think Ace would survive. Him and Whitebeard's death came to me as a surprise. Can you blame me considering how things had played out until that point? I didn't know the first half of the story was about to end. I'm inclined to think that's the reason it happened, so I can't help but also think that their won't be deaths like that until the story is in its final phase. I'd love to be wrong but the way things have been going don't encourage me.

Right now I'm just looking forward to what will happen with Luffy and Momo, and Kaido's flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    In all honesty; I did think Ace would survive. Him and Whitebeard's death came to me as a surprise. Can you blame me considering how things had played out to that point?
    No, but that fuels the idea that Oda had Pell and Pagaya live partially to make Ace and Whitebeard’s death seem more out of nowhere, which he seems to have accomplished in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by hideoushorrendous View Post
    It would've been a much better narrative if he stated something like " A single soldier of the alliance is worth ten foes "

Instead he made the alliance vastly outnumbered and simply weak, it cannot take down two emperors with their forces, so Oda was like oh yeah that's the right spot to bring a magical child who can turn the tide of war by herself !

You and others may like it. But i simply find it an utter garbage of writing and i wouldn't be this disappointed if it wasn't for the war that had +9 years of build up.

Story wise this war will change the course of the one piece world, and yeah a magical child played a major role in it because the audience are babies so who the fuck cares .
    The Momotaro legend reference was also 9+ of build up.
    In said legend, the hero uses kibidango to befriend animals. There was a huge animal army in this arc, at no point they were planned to be taken out by brute force. Oda didn't make up a random child character because he though "Oh no, how will the heroes ever defeat such an army", he made an animal army because there was going to be a character with the power to turn them over.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    No, but that fuels the idea that Oda had Pell and Pagaya live partially to make Ace and Whitebeard’s death seem more out of nowhere, which he seems to have accomplished in your case.
    I don't think so.
    Oda likes/liked to use those moments as great shock value, and when the arc was over and the bad guy defeated he would show us that turns out they were still alive and all is good. Happy ending all around.
    With Ace and Whitebeard, he didn't want to tell a story with such an happy ending, he finally had to actually kill the characters. I'd argue that he saved Pell and Pagaya just because he knew he would kill Ace and Whitebeard and wanted to keep the story as happyh as possible before that. Not because he wanted to shock the readers when they finally died but because he felt the scenes would be so sad that they needed to be preceeded by the maximum amount of happy endings.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post

I don't think so.
    Oda likes/liked to use those moments as great shock value, and when the arc was over and the bad guy defeated he would show us that turns out they were still alive and all is good. Happy ending all around.
    With Ace and Whitebeard, he didn't want to tell a story with such an happy ending, he finally had to actually kill the characters. I'd argue that he saved Pell and Pagaya just because he knew he would kill Ace and Whitebeard and wanted to keep the story as happyh as possible before that. Not because he wanted to shock the readers when they finally died but because he felt the scenes would be so sad that they needed to be preceeded by the maximum amount of happy endings.
    Oda could've easily been doing both though.

Shocking the reader with permanent deaths and keeping the story as happy as possible until the super sad ending of Marineford.

Besides that's exactly what happened anyway.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

If Oda's only concern was to keep the story happy until Marineford, and then the gloves were off, that'd be a thing.

But its not the case and he started undermmining that immediately. From it firstly being super obvious Sabo was actually alive, to Hody not-killing ships of humans because "he preferred to send them to the surface and scare them." to the ultimate death weapon in Punk Hazard having a 3 day leniency period, to there not being a single known casualty in all of Dresserossa despite the giant cage of cutting death..

Oda started backpeddling on deaths meaning anything *immediately* after putting in the first two that stuck. It wasn't any sort of master plan or surprise twist... he just prefers to not kill characters if the story doesn't absolutely demand it.

Which does serve the purpose of keeping the tone intact, which is a strength, but weakens the overall drama and stakes which is definitely a weakness.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Discovered Stowaway hideoushorrendous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_fire View Post
    Who seriously cares about the Gifters or Pleasures? Those are fodder through and through.
    Waiters and Pleasures are indeed fodders

Gifters are NOT !

and you will know their value once they convert soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If Oda's only concern was to keep the story happy until Marineford, and then the gloves were off, that'd be a thing.

But its not the case and he started undermmining that immediately. From it firstly being super obvious Sabo was actually alive, to Hody not-killing ships of humans because "he preferred to send them to the surface and scare them." to the ultimate death weapon in Punk Hazard having a 3 day leniency period, to there not being a single known casualty in all of Dresserossa despite the giant cage of cutting death..

Oda started backpeddling on deaths meaning anything *immediately* after putting in the first two that stuck. It wasn't any sort of master plan or surprise twist... he just prefers to not kill characters if the story doesn't absolutely demand it.

Which does serve the purpose of keeping the tone intact, which is a strength, but weakens the overall drama and stakes which is definitely a weakness.
    Well, I don't mind that Oda keeps the number of deaths to a minimum so that each of them will be meaningful.
    In fact, the real thing that's upsetting to me at this time, is that Pedro seems to have died for no particular reason.

NOT EVEN CLOSE, SIR!

Quote Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
    In fact, the real thing that's upsetting to me at this time, is that Pedro seems to have died for no particular reason.
    Which is why I don't think he's actually dead.

In the short term, his dying makes the emperors more dangerous, but in the long term it doesn't do anything UNLESS it's for Carrot's development (which has been woeful for 100 chapters.)

But once this is all done and the badguys are beaten? We don't need their threat cred anymore, so he can be alive then.

He wasn't even the only sacrifice, or the final one in that arc, he was just one of dozens, so it was extra meaningless.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Oda could've easily been doing both though.

Shocking the reader with permanent deaths and keeping the story as happy as possible until the super sad ending of Marineford.

Besides that's exactly what happened anyway.
    And having past deaths like Bellemere’s and Saul’s there might have also played a factor in the way Oda handled present day deaths, because a death happening in the past doesn’t make the world feel less uncomfortable and cruel, at least not from Oda’s viewpoint anyway, and didn’t want to overburden the reader in the process he probably thought.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Pound is the worse one imo. Pedro's "death" has meaning because it is shown that against Yonko you must be prepared for anything even laying off your life for a chance of victory. Therefore his "death" has such an effect.

Pound... is alive despite such a good build up. Like, what??? I was moved when I read that scene, now I really hate that filler. What a waste of panels. Another one meaningless scene in WCI.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Pound is the worse one imo. Pedro's "death" has meaning because it is shown that against Yonko you must be prepared for anything even laying off your life for a chance of victory. Therefore his "death" has such an effect.

Pound... is alive despite such a good build up. Like, what??? I was moved when I read that scene, now I really hate that filler. What a waste of panels. Another one meaningless scene in WCI.
    I guess in that moment, Pound's panels, it did it's job to build the emotion and all...he's not a character, we're gonna see again or going to have an impact so doesn't really matter if he was alive or not.

Oda made the moment awesome of him dying and Pez crying at the same time. Pretty cool. and they still got a happy ending / family reunion which is also nice.
    One Piece ,\/,,

I never got the feeling I was meant to believe outright that Pound got killed with how the panels were displayed, so I don't feel as if Oda tried to trick me and feel stupid or anything like that. I suppose I feel glad Pound got reunited with Lola and Chiffon, in light of how garbage and destructive of a dad Judge chose to be to Sanji, though I imagine many other people feel different, which is fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
    Well, I don't mind that Oda keeps the number of deaths to a minimum so that each of them will be meaningful.
    Pedro was a dreaming fool who got caught in the winds of the era and his adoration for Gol D. Rogerís adventures. He wanted everything that was Roger including his end. He went out to sea to accomplish his dreams and got beat up into reality or maybe I should say that his will and luck to accomplish his dreams were not strong enough.
    He saw in Luffy someone whose will was strong enough to accomplish all that he couldnít and it seems Pedro still driven by the Roger mystique decided to go out in big time death while at the same time pushing Luffy forward.

He was a fool, an old dreaming fool caught in Rogerís web.

Look at Shishilian, alive and well. You donít see him dreaming fool hardy stories and the likes. Heís a lion with a good head on his shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    Pedro was a dreaming fool who got caught in the winds of the era and his adoration for Gol D. Roger’s adventures. He wanted everything that was Roger including his end. He went out to sea to accomplish his dreams and got beat up into reality or maybe I should say that his will and luck to accomplish his dreams were not strong enough.
    He saw in Luffy someone whose will was strong enough to accomplish all that he couldn’t and it seems Pedro still driven by the Roger mystique decided to go out in big time death while at the same time pushing Luffy forward.

He was a fool, an old dreaming fool caught in Roger’s web.

Look at Shishilian, alive and well. You don’t see him dreaming fool hardy stories and the likes. He’s a lion with a good head on his shoulder.
    Yep, Pedro got called the Nox Pirates for a reason that relates to the dawn of the world, which he was willing to die for. Even if it's not a reason you agree with, it would be pretty big to say that's not a reason at all.

Look at the bright side, Pound managed to survived to be reunited with his long lost daughters and meet his grandson.

The love of a father against certain death.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    Pedro was a dreaming fool who got caught in the winds of the era and his adoration for Gol D. Roger’s adventures. He wanted everything that was Roger including his end. He went out to sea to accomplish his dreams and got beat up into reality or maybe I should say that his will and luck to accomplish his dreams were not strong enough.
    He saw in Luffy someone whose will was strong enough to accomplish all that he couldn’t and it seems Pedro still driven by the Roger mystique decided to go out in big time death while at the same time pushing Luffy forward.

He was a fool, an old dreaming fool caught in Roger’s web.

Look at Shishilian, alive and well. You don’t see him dreaming fool hardy stories and the likes. He’s a lion with a good head on his shoulder.
    100% agree.
    Last edited by Zik; June 21st, 2021 at 05:39 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Yep, Pedro got called the Nox Pirates for a reason that relates to the dawn of the world, which he was willing to die for. Even if it's not a reason you agree with, it would be pretty big to say that's not a reason at all.
    agree but we must also talk about fate.

Fate is a big theme in one piece. As of now, we know that Luffy is the fated one supposedly, the chosen one. It seems that his fate cannot be stop by anyone. So let us ask the question about Pedro’s fate. Was he fated to do what he did or was he just a damn fool caught in the fate of Luffy?. Is fate a power that’s putting many pieces together over time so that the main piece Luffy, accomplishes his task?.
    Maybe Pedro was a replaceable piece in fate’s manipulation. I tell you one thing and I must strongly emphasize it, Shishiliam was not gonna get caught in that crap. I know I’m bringing Shishilian too much into this and maybe I’m wrong but there’s a lesson to be learned here. Shishilian ain’t no fate’s Byatch.
    Last edited by tenchu; June 21st, 2021 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Oda probably took into account how uncomfortable the past with Fisher Tiger and Otohime, the kids being poisoned at Punk Hazard, and the flashback deaths at Dressrosa and Law getting shot and his arm severed would feel to many people, which may be why he toned down on present day death there aside from Monet and Vergo, whom were villains to start off with.

It's also probably why Oda wrote Jigra, Kingbaum, Du Feld, Bobbin, Opera, Pekoms, and Pedro the way he did at Whole Cake since the pasts of Big Mom and Sanji weren't necessarily devastating enough to feel he would overburden the reader with uncomfortable feelings, and had Pound be a silver lining just in case.
    Last edited by electricmastro; June 21st, 2021 at 05:50 PM.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Some people actually thought Pound was dead in WCI? Wow, Oda still has it in him, all of these years since Pell and Pagaya!

I think that fans are so touchy about Oda not killing characters that now when he puts any side characters in danger even when he isn't even implying they died they get all butthurt thinking Oda is doing another fakeout death.
    Last.fm

Default Re: Chapter 1,016 - It's me, OTama!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I know i'm just opening up myself for ridicule here, but this chapter honestly makes me question what OP will be like going forward.
    I am not jumping to thinking it'll change much. More likely this was just something where Oda lacked faith in Nami doing it herself without Big Mom's help (and sort of Usopps) and nothing more. I figure, as long as we get good and satisfying fights for most of the strawhats (everyone except for the weakling trio) I will be okay with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information