+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Good thing I'm not reading whatever you're reading. Nothing has killed this arc.

I missed where Oda has been obsessed with Tama of all characters. Her ability obviously is going to play an important role when it comes to the smile users but I get that you have decided there are more important characters you think Oda has forgotten about or ignored.

Your use of hyperbole is pretty garbage.

This fixation on Tama and hate for her is weird. Not much else to say other than your opinions seem way out there compared to what is actually happening but that seems to be your thing.
    WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!

The arc is going great specially with Luffy becoming one of the elites in strength with his latest poweup: CoC armament.
    He’s back to the east blue sea atmosphere, given as good as he’s getting and his Hype is no longer luck nor fake. True strength back his hype now.

Tama and her storyline are doing great.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hideoushorrendous View Post
    oh so you think cloning humans is something that would perfectly fit for 12 year old readers ?

don't make me laugh.
    Yeah, it's not like that's a super unique concept that hasn't been done in other works.

oh so you think cloning humans is something that would perfectly fit for 12 year old readers ?

don't make me laugh.
    Might seem weird to you but shonen manga like OP are most definitely aimed at young boys, it is even in the title of the genre itself

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

don't make me laugh.
    So at the age of 12 you couldn't grasp the simple concept of cloning?

That's a little sad.

Sci-fi was just a natural part of my childhood entertainment. I mean dragonball was throwing androids, cyborgs, and fusions at me. Cloning really isn't that impressive or specifically complicated at all but I guess not every kid read Amazing Spider-Man's Clone Saga.
    Last edited by Zik; June 19th, 2021 at 10:19 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Discovered Stowaway hideoushorrendous's Avatar

That idiot beating up the maid making her soak in her blood and then he justifies she's a clone made in a lab so it's okay

what's upsetting is that Sanji's anger got absorbed after he knew, isn't that so messed up ? is this type of content fitting for 12 year olds ?

I just don't agree no matter how much you okay it .

I completely agree with Joyboy, Artemis and others who say that this arc lacks tension. We all know the Yonko are going down one way or another but now it does not feel like the victory is earned. Like Artemis posted before, I dont feel that the stakes are stacked against SHs so I dont feel them to be underdogs here. Its the author's duty to convey that tension of how the protagonists would overcome insurmountable odds, so I feel Oda failed in that.

That idiot beating up the maid making her soak in her blood and then he justifies she's a clone made in a lab so it's okay

what's upsetting is that Sanji's anger got absorbed after he knew, isn't that so messed up ? is this type of content fitting for 12 year olds ?

Cosette isn't a clone. Niji didn't say that.

Sanji's anger didn't fade away. He lashed out at Niji and when Zeff and the East Blue was mentioned, his assault lost steam and he got beat up.

Discovered Stowaway hideoushorrendous's Avatar

He took him to the laboratory right after the brawl, it's pretty obvious he doesn't have to utter it.

Well now you're talking about if that content is okay for 12 year olds as if it would be okay for 24 year olds when what your main problem with what you're describing is that clones are depicted as less than as a message.

Two different things to me. The scene by itself is okay since you know clones as depicted in the story aren't a real thing yet.

The message being okay just comes down to your opinion. Now sure most ppl wouldn't agree but some would see nothing wrong. Whether its fit for a 12 year old or not is again a matter of opinion and judgement.

There's plenty of other stuff out there just as bad and worse in several other mediums for 12 year olds to consume that some see as totally fine cuz they're cartoons.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

He took him to the laboratory right after the brawl, it's pretty obvious he doesn't have to utter it.
    After Sanji found Cosette beaten, Yonji offered to take him to Niji. Sanji was brought to the laboratory instead, where Yonji explained Germa's cloning tech. Ichiji and Niji arrived a little late, and the very first thing Sanji did was attack Niji. However, Niji grabbed Sanji from behind and threatened to attack the Baratie. Then the three siblings beat up Sanji.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Tama is very obviously an emotional element that Oda introduced in the beginning of the arc lol

she was probably always meant to have a lot of screentime and is probably going to chance the pace of the raid in the next chapters. if you are having a hard time swallowing her buckle up cuz it's only going to get worse.

That...thats the reason you thought she was a clone? Really?

There was no point in this arc where you should've thought that Tama wasn't going to eventually take over the Gifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    This arc (climax of the entire post skip narrative) has the least amount of tension and stakes out of any arc in the entire series. Who would have thought that Odas writing would be so bad in the end of this arc
    Huh? There was a lot of tension when the Scabbards went to the shore and there was no one there for starters. As well as showing that beating Kaido is not an easy feat, plus his soldiers keep getting up like Ulti shows how tough they are. I actually really like Wano, maybe it's because I binge read most of the arc, but I don't think it's bad at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto View Post
    There was no point in this arc where you should've thought that Tama wasn't going to eventually take over the Gifters.
    Agreed, it was foreshadowed all the way in Act I where Tama got control of the centaur gifter that this was gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    Tama is very obviously an emotional element that Oda introduced in the beginning of the arc lol

she was probably always meant to have a lot of screentime and is probably going to chance the pace of the raid in the next chapters. if you are having a hard time swallowing her buckle up cuz it's only going to get worse.
    Its weird this has to be explained.

Its like ppl don't understand simple storytelling techniques or at least Oda's obvious ones.
    Last.fm

People do not say that Tama isn’t an emotional element of this arc. They say it’s a bad one. Stop acting like you are smart and like we don’t comprehend the story.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    What are the shots that all 11 SHs have CoC. Roger's crew and rocks had 5-6, if luffy's crew will be the best all time, he needs to have more.
    If CoC = how big the ambitious/dream then all of them, if it is an inherited thing, then like half/one third of them may have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    like we don’t comprehend the story.
    LOL it doesn't come off that way in your posts.
    Last.fm

I kinda pitched this in the Greg thread too, but I think it wouldn't have taken a lot of little changes to improve the reception of Nami and Ulti. I don't want to rewrite the whole last 20 chapters to squeeze a complete dedicated fight in there. Oda decided he didn't want that, and it's his story. But I think a few small editorial changes to framing and dialogue (and one significant switcheroo) could make a big difference in how people expected things to go and how this sequence feels to read. This is how I would improve the Nami/Ulti reading experience without adding more chapters, or even more pages, to the story Oda's decided to tell about them:

The fight starts the same way it did before. Nami and Usopp draw the attention of Page One and Ulti in the Performance Floor melee, are cornered in the bathhouse and quickly overwhelmed, with the dinosaur siblings simply pushing through all their attacks with brute force. Nami has her moment of defiance before being rescued by Tama's group. I think all of that works fine the way it is.

But Oda set up too early that Zeus is going to be the solution. Lots of people, including myself, guessed it from Nami's "I need stronger lightning" line in chapter 1004. So obviously that has to go. Also in that chapter, change the moment where Ulti gets knocked down and expresses pain from Nami's Thunder Lance. We're not going to flag lightning as the solution this early by even letting it do minor damage. Ulti shrugs it off, and the dialogue needs to go more like "none of our best moves even penetrate their scales... just focus on slowing them down and keeping them away from Tama!!" Basically, we want to say that this isn't a stand-and-fight scene for Nami and Usopp. Protecting the girl while she slings dumplings is their new mission. They're not even thinking about beating the dinosaur siblings anymore. Maybe people speculate that someone else can pick up the slack and save them, like Sanji.

The first Nami/Usopp scenes in chapter 1011 are alright, with Usopp's big hits leaving Page One totally unfazed. It's from the end of this chapter through to the start of 1013 I think we need the biggest change.

The choreography of the scene needs to be rearranged so that Ulti gets punched out by Big Mom, whether or not she uses CoC coating for it. Page One fills Ulti's role in the next few chapters. He attacks Komachiyo and hits Tama. At the end of 2012, Nami can't "stay here and crush [him]," unfortunately. We need to keep up the feeling that fighting these guys head on isn't what Nami and Usopp are meant to do. Maybe a line more like "I know I can't beat you, but I can't let you get any closer to Tama!" would fit the mood better.

At this stage, we still think the dinosaurs are simply untouchable to Nami and Usopp, and all that can be done is buy time. Tama remains the focus. And then Big Mom nails Page One with the Maser Cannon and he goes down. Importantly, he stays down. We learn that Big Mom's lightning is strong enough the pierce dinosaur scales, fry them from the inside, and take them out of the fight once and for all. Nami expresses shock that any amount of lightning could actually manage that. Chapter 1013 continues as usual, with Zues reappearing and having his fakeout death.

Fast forward to 1016 and it's not as much of a shock when Ulti comes back again, because she was only punched out, not electrolasered to death. But because Page One has stayed down, we know that a thunderbolt that gets under the skin is an effective attack on a tough dinosaur. Instead of Zeus expositing that one more lightning blast should do it, we need to give Nami agency in the conflict and put her in the problem solving role. She asks Zeus if he could do something like what Big Mom did if she helped him get some more charge. Nami does some weather tricks to charge the air with static and give Zeus a boost (since he can't team up with Prometheus and Napoleon like Hera did for her big lightning) and tells Usopp to get Tama clear, which he easily does. The rest of the chapter proceeds as normal, with the blast and redirection.

I know that this version still isn't going to be what a lot of people were hoping for with a big, extended fight where Nami and Usopp solve problems for themselves and so on, but that's not my story to write. It couldn't be done without changing too many other things. I'm just trying to think of the best version of Oda's story. This way we downplay the idea of a direct fight early on. We add a bit of symmetry and consistency with both dinosaur siblings being taken down by supercharged lightning blasts rather than one being just punched and the other taking two finishing moves back to back. We make it feel like Nami saw what Big Mom did to KO one dinosaur and chose to team up with Zeus to imitate it on the remaining one, rather than have Zeus just tell her how to finish off one that was already injured. Little things, but they could make a big difference to what people expected the finale to be, setting it up to be what it actually is, and do so without dramatically changing the established length and pacing of the arc.

I've had 0 issues with Otama, her ability was brought up at the beginning of the arc. Is she not supposed to use it?

Kind of random interjection here, but I think it's too early to call much about Wano. I can for example call the offscreening unsatisfying, that's fine. But to say it has no chance of being perceived as a masterpiece, it's just too early to say. I wouldn't have called Marineford one of the best arcs until the last 6 chapters. I also think it's illogical to assume Nami's fight is indicative of how the rest would be, when that's already been pretty much disproven with Franky.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information