+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 301

Thread: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

  1. #201
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. GOATmore

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    I am actually surprised that you don't complain about how Oda has completely and utterly betrayed Sanji's character in the Wano arc.

    Think about it, one of Wano's greatest problem is starvation. Its the one of the major emotional crux for the arc.

    Sanji's entire character is based on him being a cook and knowing the hell that is starving to death.

    If Oda was still on point as an author. He would have ensured that Sanji as a chef played a vital role in resolving the starvation problem. We could have had scenes of Sanji travelling through Wano and making kick ass food from scraps.

    We could have had Sanji use his Newkama ingredient skills to cook food that would bolster the alliance force's strength.

    Sanji should have been the one to meet Tama and want to take down Kaidou and Orochi because they are doing one of the things he hates the most.


    But nope, we have mediocre writing from Oda.

    Sanji barely acknowledges or comments on this situation.

    The one time he did, he was cooking food for the wealthy elite of Wano. Like WTF. Why did Oda and his editors think that was a good idea.

    Seriously, based on Wano's themes. Wano should have been Sanji's arc, not Zoro's.
    Damn, I hadn't thought of it, but that is a big missed opportunity.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

  2. #202

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    I am actually surprised that you don't complain about how Oda has completely and utterly betrayed Sanji's character in the Wano arc.

    Think about it, one of Wano's greatest problem is starvation. Its the one of the major emotional crux for the arc.

    Sanji's entire character is based on him being a cook and knowing the hell that is starving to death.

    If Oda was still on point as an author. He would have ensured that Sanji as a chef played a vital role in resolving the starvation problem. We could have had scenes of Sanji travelling through Wano and making kick ass food from scraps.

    We could have had Sanji use his Newkama ingredient skills to cook food that would bolster the alliance force's strength.

    Sanji should have been the one to meet Tama and want to take down Kaidou and Orochi because they are doing one of the things he hates the most.


    But nope, we have mediocre writing from Oda.

    Sanji barely acknowledges or comments on this situation.

    The one time he did, he was cooking food for the wealthy elite of Wano. Like WTF. Why did Oda and his editors think that was a good idea.

    Seriously, based on Wano's themes. Wano should have been Sanji's arc, not Zoro's.
    What? If a country suffers from hunger what you need is
    1: Food
    2: Good politics so the food reaches everyone

    We know Wano has plenty of resources so the hunger problem can be solved by taking down Orochi and Kaido.

    Cooks are both ineffective and unneeded to fight hunger. Like, not every food needs to be cooked to be consumed, and even then i doubt the people of Wano can't cook. The real problem is that the food doesn't reach them (thanks to Orochi).

    Helping with the raid in Onigashima helps the people of Wano a lot more than anything Sanji can do as a cook.

    I do agree however that not having Sanji comment or reflect on the food situation is a missed opportunity for his character.

  3. #203

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paraplonq View Post
    What? If a country suffers from hunger what you need is
    1: Food
    2: Good politics so the food reaches everyone

    We know Wano has plenty of resources so the hunger problem can be solved by taking down Orochi and Kaido.

    Cooks are both ineffective and unneeded to fight hunger. Like, not every food needs to be cooked to be consumed, and even then i doubt the people of Wano can't cook. The real problem is that the food doesn't reach them (thanks to Orochi).

    Helping with the raid in Onigashima helps the people of Wano a lot more than anything Sanji can do as a cook.

    I do agree however that not having Sanji comment or reflect on the food situation is a missed opportunity for his character.
    I completelt disagree.

    Sanji's Time-skip training was based on him improving his cooking skills.

    Oda made a point to tell us that Sanji had learned to cook food that went beyond just being delicious. His training enabled him to cook food that would actually boost the eaters physical status significantly(I think this was stated in Punk Hazard)

    You know how we learnt that Tama literally spent a year's worth of saving on plain old rice.

    If Oda really cared about his characters(taht are not named Luffy), then I 100% believe that we would have had a scene where Sanji would make her the best Rice Bowl meal she had ever eaten.

    I don't need to see Sanji feeding the entire Wano country.

    We just needed to see him try to help the people, we as readers saw starving.

    We didn't need to see Sanji selling Soba meals to rich people in the capital.

    We had the lamest most useless conflict with the Koyshiro mafia.


    We couldn't Oda place Sanji in one of the starving villages and then have Page One and Drake come to destroy it there.(Eg the village that was apparently destroyed by drake way back when)

    None of that needed to happen in the Flower capital. We could have had an incredible character moment for Sanji.


    Heck Sanji would have had a more believable relationship with Hiyori than Zoro.


    We could have had Nami using her incredible navigation skills to get the Straw Hats to Wano Safely.

    We could have had a moment where Brook used his music to bolster the Samurai alliance and get them pumped up for the Onigashima battle(Maybe brook could have used his music to send the secret message, instead of the lame paper trail they had)

    We could have had Robin using her poneglyph knowledge to somehow make the people of Wano want to depose Orochi.

    We could have had Ussop use his charisma to recruit more allies to the cause.

    We could have had Franky develop battle ships for the Samurai alliance instead of having both Ussop and Franky do it.

    Wano was the perfect arc to let every Straw Hat display their strengths outside combat.


    But nope, we ended up having the most mediocre version of this Saga.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  4. #204

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Wano’s hunger problem is the pollution, Sanji can’t do anything about that. Best way to handle it is to take down Kaido and Orochi.

  5. #205

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    Wano’s hunger problem is the pollution, Sanji can’t do anything about that. Best way to handle it is to take down Kaido and Orochi.
    Lol, he can literally cook gourmet meals from scraps of food.

    His 2 year training was all about cooking food that would level up the eater to a certain degree.

    By cooking that food, Sanji would have played an important and integral role in setting up the alliance.

    Heck, we could have had a scene where Queen's plague was ineffective because the alliance had eaten food that bolstered their immunity.


    I am just completely and utterly dissapointed that the one character who should have cared, has never actually been shown caring

    I mean, for christ sake, the only reason Sanji was cooking in the capital was to maintain his "cover". It had nothing to do with him helping out starving people.

    Oda went out of his way to show us Nami's affinity for children.

    Why couldn't he do the same for Sanji.

    Instead of Zoro. It should have been Sanji who Met Yasu.

    That is a fact.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  6. #206

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Holy shit kevo. This version of One Piece you propose is utter garbage. Do you really think cooking food from scraps can solve a entire starved country? Or the alliance would have been gathered not by the common goal of overthrowing a corrupt government but rather should ve been made by giving some fucking good food? Famine was never the main issue, only a consequence.

    Also yeah, let's have Sanji being the counter to Queen's virus and not the resident doctor even though he stated in Drum that his skill as a cook can't replace a doctor's.

  7. #207

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    I thought the point was to stay covert as they got allies, weapons and information. Sanji should go around the country feeding people?

    The one area he did feed people, it went wrong and those innocent people were terrorized and lost homes.

    Sanji should go around and replicate this, so he can be "useful" as if the prior arc wasn't catered and centered around him with great writing and most fans responded with "but where was his fight".

    Whenever the Straw Hats did too much, the whole mission almost went up in flames.

    I'm all for fair criticism, but providing alternatives that ignore certain aspects of the story is not the way. You have to fit the covert aspect of the mission into Sanji feeding the country as an alternative. There is more, but that is a start.

  8. #208

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Pretty sweet of Yamato to be challenging an Emperor for Luffy’s sake in light of Luffy giving her freedom. Even several of Big Mom’s children were intimidated by Big Mom, but Yamato doesn’t seem to be intimidated by Kaido at all here. It definitely has the makings of a strong friendship that could potentially develop between her and Luffy if it isn’t developing already.



  9. #209

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Holy shit kevo. This version of One Piece you propose is utter garbage. Do you really think cooking food from scraps can solve a entire starved country? Or the alliance would have been gathered not by the common goal of overthrowing a corrupt government but rather should ve been made by giving some fucking good food? Famine was never the main issue, only a consequence.

    Also yeah, let's have Sanji being the counter to Queen's virus and not the resident doctor even though he stated in Drum that his skill as a cook can't replace a doctor's.
    No you are missing my entire point.

    I am not saying that Sanji would solve the entire problem. Of course he can't.

    But the Sanji who fed Gin and Don Krieg would have 100% taken it on his shoulders to feed as many people in Wano as possible.


    Sanji doesn't need to feed them for life. He could have just fed them for a day.

    Instead of having Luffy and Zoro raid Holdem and take food from them. We should have had Luffy and Sanji do that(it would also have reinforced the reconnection they had in WCI)

    You know what would have been cool?

    Instead of having Sanji cook Soba for generic Wano citizens.

    He could have cooked for Tama(it was her birthday). He could have made her the best fucking rice she ever had in her life.

    Instead of the forced Ace connection with Tama.

    It could have been Tama gets enamored with Sanji because he cooked something divine for her(instead of making a cake for Big Mom and having that plot point entirely forgotten).

    It would have been the perfect time to recontexualize Sanji's relationship with women because he can't simp for a child.


    You know how Zoro provided weapons to the alliance by meeting the fox and fighting him in the strong sword guy battle on the bridge? That was zoro using his talents to help out in the war effort.

    Why couldn't it be the same with Sanji?

    We are supposed to believe that prisoners who spent decades doing hard labour are somehow capable of fighting against devil fruit users? as fukcing dumb as they are?

    Why not have Sanji cook a big meal for the alliance in order to boost their stats? Wasn;t the entire point of his 2 year training? or was skywalk and hell memories the only benefit he got from those 2 years?

    why did oda tell us that Sanji had learned to cook food to boost stats if he wasn't going to use it?

    When will he use it? Isn't this the perfect arc to use it?

    Why introduce the starvation plot point, if the resident starvation expert never ever comments about it?

    Like fuck dude.


    Sanji has literally never made a single comment about this.

    Heck, Luffy is more mad about it than Sanji. WTF???

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I thought the point was to stay covert as they got allies, weapons and information. Sanji should go around the country feeding people?

    The one area he did feed people, it went wrong and those innocent people were terrorized and lost homes.

    Sanji should go around and replicate this, so he can be "useful" as if the prior arc wasn't catered and centered around him with great writing and most fans responded with "but where was his fight".

    Whenever the Straw Hats did too much, the whole mission almost went up in flames.

    I'm all for fair criticism, but providing alternatives that ignore certain aspects of the story is not the way. You have to fit the covert aspect of the mission into Sanji feeding the country as an alternative. There is more, but that is a start.
    Lol, was feeding people in the flower capital(the fucking capital city of wano) more covert than feeding people out in the boonies?

    Hell no.

    We didn't see a single bad guy in Yasuie's village.

    Plus, lol, really.

    Do you really believe the Sanji we met in East Blue would care about covert operations if he saw starving children and people?

    Really??

    I don't believe it.

    But even saying you are right.

    Why haven't we seen Sanji at least make a comment?

    Sanji met Tama before the raid in Onigashima. We could have had at least 2 panels of Luffy asking him to make her tasty meal. Her birthday came and went and the only thing she got was fucking apple. LOL.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  10. #210

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Lol, he can literally cook gourmet meals from scraps of food.

    His 2 year training was all about cooking food that would level up the eater to a certain degree.

    By cooking that food, Sanji would have played an important and integral role in setting up the alliance.

    Heck, we could have had a scene where Queen's plague was ineffective because the alliance had eaten food that bolstered their immunity.


    I am just completely and utterly dissapointed that the one character who should have cared, has never actually been shown caring

    I mean, for christ sake, the only reason Sanji was cooking in the capital was to maintain his "cover". It had nothing to do with him helping out starving people.

    Oda went out of his way to show us Nami's affinity for children.

    Why couldn't he do the same for Sanji.

    Instead of Zoro. It should have been Sanji who Met Yasu.

    That is a fact.
    LOL LOL LOL CRAP.

    Don’t you understand that everything was poisoned; the land, the water, the animals, the trees, everything. The only eatable thing that wasn’t contaminated was controlled by orochi and Kaido, that’s why we saw Luffy stealing not only food but water too. From what is sanji gonna make food, scraps you say, what scraps, every is contaminated. Now if you want Sanji to make food out of leftovers, that was still in possession of orochi’s people.

    Just because you wanted a side story for your enjoyment, doesn’t mean that it should be done or that it makes sense.

    The only people that got an axe to grind here are Zoro’s people. They at least have many past incidents where Zoro and Wano were linked.

  11. #211

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Pretty sweet of Yamato to be challenging an Emperor for Luffy’s sake in light of Luffy giving her freedom. Even several of Big Mom’s children were intimidated by Big Mom, but Yamato doesn’t seem to be intimidated by Kaido at all here. It definitely has the makings of a strong friendship that could potentially develop between her and Luffy if it isn’t developing already.


    https://i.ibb.co/CKf18qR/2306-F120-2...-CECD23-E2.png
    No.

    She has been fighting Kaidou since she was child.
    This is nothing new for both of them.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    LOL LOL LOL CRAP.

    Don’t you understand that everything was poisoned; the land, the water, the animals, the trees, everything. The only eatable thing that wasn’t contaminated was controlled by orochi and Kaido, that’s why we saw Luffy stealing not only food but water too. From what is sanji gonna make food, scraps you say, what scraps, every is contaminated. Now if you want Sanji to make food out of leftovers, that was still in possession of orochi’s people.

    Just because you wanted a side story for your enjoyment, doesn’t mean that it should be done or that it makes sense.

    The only people that got an axe to grind here are Zoro’s people. They at least have many past incidents where Zoro and Wano were linked.
    No no no.

    Not for my enjoyment.

    Its just viewing the story from what Oda has established.

    For example. In this very arc, we have seem Nami go out of her way to protect Tama, against overwhelming odds because of he afffinity for kids. This is an established character trait for Nami. We know this. Oda has shown us this.

    When Nami, a known coward, stops and faces off against an emperor and flying six because of a child being hit. We understand this.

    However, its completely and utterly unbelievable that a man whose entire character is centered on his need to feed people doesn't acknowledge, comment, or do anything to help out in a situation he is specifically sutied for? it doesn;t make sense.



    I will repeat it again and again and again.

    Sanji spent 2 freaking years learning how to cook food that went beyond just being tasty delicious. But we have never seen him use that training.

    You talking about shit being poisoned.

    Sanji, a legendary cook(taht;s his superpower) can defintitely make something decent from that.

    Go back and read the Baratie arc and tell me if the character you see there would act the way Sanji has acted in Wano.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Ok guys.

    I will ask one question.

    What was the point of Sanji's 2 year training?

    Every other SH(except Robin) has consistently displayed the fruits of the training.

    Luffy is a haki master. Zoro has upgraded the strength and devastation of all his attacks. Nami is consistently using her weatherballs. Ussop is consistently using his plants. Brook is consistenytly using his ice powers. Franky uses his Tech.

    Sanji has cooked once in Punk Hazard using his training. In WCI, he just recreated a pre-existing dish. Nothing to do with his training.

    Now we have an arc that specifically calls for his specific skills and the man never even fucking mentions it.

    We never got even something as insignficant as a dialogue box?

    Remember when he met Ochako? He was more concerned about why she was laughing than anything to do with food(did he even give her replacement after it was knocked out of her hands?)

    Please someone explain to me how this isn't the biggest let down for a character
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  12. #212

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Lol, was feeding people in the flower capital(the fucking capital city of wano) more covert than feeding people out in the boonies?

    Hell no.

    We didn't see a single bad guy in Yasuie's village.

    Plus, lol, really.

    Do you really believe the Sanji we met in East Blue would care about covert operations if he saw starving children and people?

    Really??

    I don't believe it.

    But even saying you are right.

    Why haven't we seen Sanji at least make a comment?

    Sanji met Tama before the raid in Onigashima. We could have had at least 2 panels of Luffy asking him to make her tasty meal. Her birthday came and went and the only thing she got was fucking apple. LOL.
    They all cared about the covert mission and only disregarded it when things became dire and they couldn't ignore it no longer. Your point was that Sanji should make himself a target where the people are already starving and tortured and not where they're well off in the capital. Do you hear yourself?

    Zoro and Luffy were out in the boonies and were attacked. Do you think Kaido and Orochi's men stay away from there? They don't.

    Feeding Tama and making a comment would be great. That other part you brought up dismisses a major part of the mission.

  13. #213

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    They all cared about the covert mission and only disregarded it when things became dire and they couldn't ignore it no longer. Your point was that Sanji should make himself a target where the people are already starving and tortured and not where they're well off in the capital. Do you hear yourself?

    Zoro and Luffy were out in the boonies and were attacked. Do you think Kaido and Orochi's men stay away from there? They don't.

    Feeding Tama and making a comment would be great. That other part you brought up dismisses a major part of the mission.
    Did they?

    I explicitly remember Law specifically getting mad at Sanji because he blew his cover.

    Sanji blew his cover over something as petty as a couple of thugs fucking up his fake store.

    Can we really, honestly and genuinely say that the Sanji we met in East Blue would not do the same if he knew an entire population of people were going through the personal hell he went through??


    Are you really saying that Sanji can ignore people starving but when someone kicks his fake store, he'll lose all reason?

    Lets be real here and just accept that Oda dropped the ball there.

    I think Sanji feeding Yasuie's leftover town would have been a far more powerful moment than him baking the cake for Big Mom.

    Why? Because his cake did absolutely fucking nothing.

    She ate the cake, and still chased after them.

    What did it really accomplish in the long run?

    But if he at least feed the leftover town, it would have been so great.

    We could have had a genuine connection between Yasuie and the Straw Hats. Because lets be honest, Zoro had little to no connection to him. He was just there making confused faces, and left. Other than knowing Yasu as the annoying guy, what connection did they really make?

    Now imagine if it was Sanji instead.


    We have an arc where food is being weaponised in the form of SMILES.

    Other than Chopper(who also has never commented or acknowledged SMILES and their effects) who else from our main cast is suited to handle that situation

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Based from what we have seen so far.

    Surprisingly, Zoro is actually the one with almost zero emotional connection to Wano.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  14. #214
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    After coming off Whole Cake Island, I don't feel slighted at all as a Sanji fan. He got tons of more character work pretty much out the blue imo. A whole arc basically focused on him with another flashback and everything. Showed off his cooking skills when it mattered once again. No other strawhat has gotten that treatment.

    The situation in Wano as far as hunger and famine seems to be a consequence of the pollution. Its not like there's some drought or food shortage based on another cause. The things to make food are contaminated and all of the edible food is being hoarded by the wealthy and corrupt authority.

    This is just a thing Oda as a consequence of Orochi and Kaido's rule of Wano. It didn't have to be food based that touches a bit on history. It could've been all the ppl were being enslaved, or being attacked and tortured for fun a la Arlong Park. The food issue isn't the main issue.

    Its completely off to say Wano should've been focused on Sanji and not Zoro.

    As a Zoro fan, he's gotten zilch other than trading swords.

    A scene or two of Sanji cooking for those starving, feeding Tama and Toko would be nice but he shouldnt be the focus cuz his cooking isn't changing anything. Especially not from all the samurai, prisoners, and criminals on their side. Besides given there weren't any Sanji and Tama scenes yet Sanji clearly knows who Tama is in this chapter so Oda can always show a flashback scene where he spent time with her or cooked during those days leading up to the raid. All this newkama food techniques talk and boosting stats have all been said and never shown. So to me its not even real until I see Sanji actually cook something specifically to boost morale or increase stamina or something.

    Besides that I think his cooking really shouldn't be used that way or relied upon in that manner.

    As far as Sanji's 2 year training I thought he also got way stronger by fighting all of those nakama kenpo masters and then Iva arrived and probably trained him even more. I missed when it was said became a better cook in the land of okama.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  15. #215

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Did they?

    I explicitly remember Law specifically getting mad at Sanji because he blew his cover.

    Sanji blew his cover over something as petty as a couple of thugs fucking up his fake store.

    Can we really, honestly and genuinely say that the Sanji we met in East Blue would not do the same if he knew an entire population of people were going through the personal hell he went through??


    Are you really saying that Sanji can ignore people starving but when someone kicks his fake store, he'll lose all reason?

    Lets be real here and just accept that Oda dropped the ball there.

    I think Sanji feeding Yasuie's leftover town would have been a far more powerful moment than him baking the cake for Big Mom.

    Why? Because his cake did absolutely fucking nothing.

    She ate the cake, and still chased after them.

    What did it really accomplish in the long run?

    But if he at least feed the leftover town, it would have been so great.

    We could have had a genuine connection between Yasuie and the Straw Hats. Because lets be honest, Zoro had little to no connection to him. He was just there making confused faces, and left. Other than knowing Yasu as the annoying guy, what connection did they really make?

    Now imagine if it was Sanji instead.


    We have an arc where food is being weaponised in the form of SMILES.

    Other than Chopper(who also has never commented or acknowledged SMILES and their effects) who else from our main cast is suited to handle that situation

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Based from what we have seen so far.

    Surprisingly, Zoro is actually the one with almost zero emotional connection to Wano.
    Wait, you imply that it was a waste for Sanji not to cook for people or comment on the starving, but then ignore that the main reason he blew the cover was over the very thing you wanted. They skipped the line and wasted the food. How do you criticize Sanji's utility, then ignore that the minimal that Oda did is something you're actually acknowledging?

    Sanji from the East Blue went against the grain and almost blew their cover over the the people being terrorized. He's still there.

    You're making it about the store and I have to assume you're forgetting Toko, the wasted food and line skipping.

    Yes, ignore that the town would have been destroyed and it's already on it's last legs compared to the Capital.

    His cake saved Totland. Another example of you ignoring what Sanji did. He stuck to his east Blue principles, that you acknowledge, by feeding an enemy in need. You would have to ignore who he was making the cake for or just have forgotten.

    That is the point. They could have left Totland to be destroyed. East Blue Sanji saved the country with a cake. The same food you say would have been useful in Wano.

    Yeah, feed the town all in effort for it to be crushed as if it's not already close to being done. Holdem already terrorized them for other reasons. Why not throw Pagey getting smacked around into the fire just to see Sanji feed them and people dismiss it, just as you dismissed how Sanji saved Totland. Man, that town would've been turned to dust quick with all of that.

    All of his reactions weren't confused. That is how a character tries to hear someone out and understand them. This not a confused face.



    Is Sanji supposed to become a scientist and fix the SMILE issue?

  16. #216

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    I understand your point. You are saying that Oda is ignoring a big part of Sanji's character, which is that he always feeds people that are hungry, no matter who they are. This was seen also un WCI, and there hasn't been any mention about in Wano.

    I don't know how Oda could have handle it though, but it certainly should have been an important emotional point. Many people here are saying that Sanji should not blow his cover, and so on, but thats not the point. The point is that Sanji has not said a thing about it. Not Even a panel.

    So, yeah, this is not how Sanji would behave in this circumstance. At least, he should show that part of his character, even if he doesnt act because of reasons. But no, he is spying women, when people are dying of hunger... Yeah, no way he would have done that, not Sanji.

  17. #217

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    After coming off Whole Cake Island, I don't feel slighted at all as a Sanji fan. He got tons of more character work pretty much out the blue imo. A whole arc basically focused on him with another flashback and everything. Showed off his cooking skills when it mattered once again. No other strawhat has gotten that treatment.

    The situation in Wano as far as hunger and famine seems to be a consequence of the pollution. Its not like there's some drought or food shortage based on another cause. The things to make food are contaminated and all of the edible food is being hoarded by the wealthy and corrupt authority.

    This is just a thing Oda as a consequence of Orochi and Kaido's rule of Wano. It didn't have to be food based that touches a bit on history. It could've been all the ppl were being enslaved, or being attacked and tortured for fun a la Arlong Park. The food issue isn't the main issue.

    Its completely off to say Wano should've been focused on Sanji and not Zoro.

    As a Zoro fan, he's gotten zilch other than trading swords.

    A scene or two of Sanji cooking for those starving, feeding Tama and Toko would be nice but he shouldnt be the focus cuz his cooking isn't changing anything. Especially not from all the samurai, prisoners, and criminals on their side. Besides given there weren't any Sanji and Tama scenes yet Sanji clearly knows who Tama is in this chapter so Oda can always show a flashback scene where he spent time with her or cooked during those days leading up to the raid. All this newkama food techniques talk and boosting stats have all been said and never shown. So to me its not even real until I see Sanji actually cook something specifically to boost morale or increase stamina or something.

    Besides that I think his cooking really shouldn't be used that way or relied upon in that manner.

    As far as Sanji's 2 year training I thought he also got way stronger by fighting all of those nakama kenpo masters and then Iva arrived and probably trained him even more. I missed when it was said became a better cook in the land of okama.
    Not completely sure, but I think he mentioned having to master 99 ingredients or something in Punk Hazard.

    Also, I know I mentioned that Wano should have been Sanji's arc and not Zoro. But I don't mean that the complete focus should have been him.

    I just expected that since Oda established a food theme in Wano, he would want to utilize the character whose based on food. He could have easily not included food problems in Wano.

    Because think about it like this.

    Ever since Sanji joined the crew Wano is the one and only arc that has had a problem specifically centered on food.

    The entire first act of Wano was all about how a young girl fed our hero simple rice and she had to drink poisoned water to quench hunger.

    No other arc in One Piece, absolutely none, has ever had such a scenario.

    Alabasta, FI, SA, Skypeia, Water 7 were all striving kingdoms. The others, the only spent a day there.

    So, why would Oda neglect Sanji, in the one arc where he specifically sets up a problem that only he is qualified of resolving.

    LoL, am I really the only one who see taht this doesn't make any goddamn sense??


    Nami started showing she cares about kids in Punk Hazard.

    Sanji has been caring about starving people since his first introduction.

    Why are we getting panels of Nami caring about a kid. and absolutely none of Sanji even having a reaction to starving people?

    Especially since we spent an entire arc getting to know him again.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  18. #218

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Not completely sure, but I think he mentioned having to master 99 ingredients or something in Punk Hazard.

    Also, I know I mentioned that Wano should have been Sanji's arc and not Zoro. But I don't mean that the complete focus should have been him.

    I just expected that since Oda established a food theme in Wano, he would want to utilize the character whose based on food. He could have easily not included food problems in Wano.

    Because think about it like this.

    Ever since Sanji joined the crew Wano is the one and only arc that has had a problem specifically centered on food.

    The entire first act of Wano was all about how a young girl fed our hero simple rice and she had to drink poisoned water to quench hunger.

    No other arc in One Piece, absolutely none, has ever had such a scenario.

    Alabasta, FI, SA, Skypeia, Water 7 were all striving kingdoms. The others, the only spent a day there.

    So, why would Oda neglect Sanji, in the one arc where he specifically sets up a problem that only he is qualified of resolving.

    LoL, am I really the only one who see taht this doesn't make any goddamn sense??


    Nami started showing she cares about kids in Punk Hazard.

    Sanji has been caring about starving people since his first introduction.

    Why are we getting panels of Nami caring about a kid. and absolutely none of Sanji even having a reaction to starving people?

    Especially since we spent an entire arc getting to know him again.
    No, I agree with you, I posted my opinión before this comment of yours, yeah, I don't understand how others are not seeing it.

  19. #219

    Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Wait, you imply that it was a waste for Sanji not to cook for people or comment on the starving, but then ignore that the main reason he blew the cover was over the very thing you wanted. They skipped the line and wasted the food. How do you criticize Sanji's utility, then ignore that the minimal that Oda did is something you're actually acknowledging?

    Sanji from the East Blue went against the grain and almost blew their cover over the the people being terrorized. He's still there.

    You're making it about the store and I have to assume you're forgetting Toko, the wasted food and line skipping.

    Yes, ignore that the town would have been destroyed and it's already on it's last legs compared to the Capital.

    His cake saved Totland. Another example of you ignoring what Sanji did. He stuck to his east Blue principles, that you acknowledge, by feeding an enemy in need. You would have to ignore who he was making the cake for or just have forgotten.

    That is the point. They could have left Totland to be destroyed. East Blue Sanji saved the country with a cake. The same food you say would have been useful in Wano.

    Yeah, feed the town all in effort for it to be crushed as if it's not already close to being done. Holdem already terrorized them for other reasons. Why not throw Pagey getting smacked around into the fire just to see Sanji feed them and people dismiss it, just as you dismissed how Sanji saved Totland. Man, that town would've been turned to dust quick with all of that.

    All of his reactions weren't confused. That is how a character tries to hear someone out and understand them. This not a confused face.

    https://i.imgur.com/VIXIfHB.jpg?1

    Is Sanji supposed to become a scientist and fix the SMILE issue?
    Ok, first of all, I hope that I am not coming across as hostile. All I want is a discussion on this matter. Just think its an important point to criticisize. At least far more than who beat MVP, GOAT ULTI.

    OK:
    I was mainly responding to your point that Sanji had to maintain cover. That is why he could not go around Wano cooking Soba for the downtrodden and hungry.

    I genuinely have a problem that Oda chose to have Sanji cook for rich and affluent people instead of the people who were actually suffering.

    Like, how does this make sense?
    How does Sanji cooking good food for people blowing his cover?

    He didn't have to feed them forever. Just for a day. Just for that one time he was there. Sanji is not a hero. But he is a good man. If he see's a starving person, he will do his best to help them. Why? Because he is a very intimate and personal relationship with the hell that is starving to death.

    Luffy went to WCI Island to get his chef back. Wano would have been the perfect arc to show why Sanji was worth an entire arc dedicated to him.

    He could have had such an exponential impact on the story.

    Not because he knows how to kick things very had and he has a power rangers suit.

    But because he could have used decades of Skill, talent, knowledge and understanding to elevate people.

    Sanji's cooking could have been just as important as freeing prisoners, building the ships, curing the prisoners, gaining the weapons and recruiting Kozuki sympathisers.

    As for WCI.

    Remember, the entire reason Sanji had to bake the cake, was because his friends destroyed the original.

    He did not do it to save totland. He did it to save his crew.

    Wano's food problems have nothing to do with Sanji. Totland's Big Mom problem had everything to do with Sanji.

    As for SMILES.
    Really bro.

    Our chef, food is sacred, I will never use my hands to fight because I believe my hands are meant to cook food, is not going to be mad that someone is using Food is such an evil and insidious way?

    Get outta here with that.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by imperioonepiece View Post
    No, I agree with you, I posted my opinión before this comment of yours, yeah, I don't understand how others are not seeing it.
    Thanks bro.

    Lol, I was beginning to think I might be interpreting shit wrong.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

  20. #220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Thanks bro.Lol, I was beginning to think I might be interpreting shit wrong.
    It's like Sanji's character has been slowly eroding (as well as other Straw Hats) that people don't notice anymore. I believe this partly explains why some people say that Wano doesnt produce the same emotions as pre-TS arcs.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts