+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

Default Re: Chapter 1,016: It's Me, Otama!!

One nice thing you can say about the foxy story is that all strawhats got plenty of shine. That and it was good silly fun, nothing more than what was needed after that skypiea side trip.

Guys, we also gotta remember that Oda himself has changed over time as well. His mentality and writing style has changed. For OP to stay the same after this many years is hard.

I, for one, don’t really try to judge each chapter or even arcs/sagas too harshly. I would love to Oda to give each SHs tough battles each arc but like some have mentioned before. OP has changed from just the SHs being a small crew to more of a big picture, world building type arcs where they are still playing a key role but everything is bigger than them. Lot of stuff goes their way and some very convenient things happen each arc that might piss some people off.

I think after the SHs beat Kaidou & BM in this arc…there aren’t really any more strong opponents left that SH would struggle against maybe BB pirates but Luffy learning CoC attacks and mastering it shouldn’t pose too big of a challenge.

In order for Oda to finish the story and all the loose ends, we’ll see future arcs with more focus on world building rather than getting 1v1 for all the SHs.

I don’t mind the Nami win since this whole arc has been a lot of running around and chaos around them...there are too many characters involved and it’s very hard to get a proper 1v1. Even Luffy’s 1v1 against Kaidou wouldn’t have lasted too long since Yamamoto reached the top fairly quick after Luffy falling down.

Let’s not give up on OP guys. Just accept that even future arcs we will have wayyyyy too many characters involved to get 1v1 fights. Everything going forward is going to be a scrimmage as SHs proceed through an area. The sooner everyone accepts that the sooner you will stop getting disappointed with our beloved OP.

And I suck at writing long paragraphs so I apologize if I'm all over the place.
    One Piece ,\/,,

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    That Nami moment also is a perfect example of how mediocre current One Piece has become. It just lacks any emotional weight. This could and should perfectly have been a volume-ender cliffhanger. Instead it not only was an also-ran scene, it was also resolved in the very same chapter (I assume because Oda actually knew he blew up the execution too much in order to work as any form of cliffhanger).

That scene just doesn't feel healthy and organic in any way. It's completely not intervowen within the narrative and any other ongoing subplot properly. Instead this scene just exists in its own bubble - without any impact or emotional weight.
    How is the lack of interwoven nature any different than Usoppís declaration of believing in Luffy in Alabasta and that whole arc/battle?

Also, donít get me wrong, I see the overstuffing in the arcs so if a story is overstuffed and itís a blink and youíll miss it moment, then itís not doing a good job, but recall what Franky said to Nami when they faced Big Mom. She wants Franky to run away but Franky reminds her the SHs are meant to make Luffy the Pirate King. So now we have the moment where Nami was unable to hold her own against a strong opponent and was given the option to die if she renounced her Captain (which came from one of the only Big 6 that has claimed Kaidou would become Pirate King iirc in chapter 983), and then she wouldnít even upon knowing she was going to die. Sure she couldnít fulfill her role in keeping her end in helping Luffy become Pirate King, but she still held her opinion based on that. And I liked she didnít face death with dignity, still pleading for her life. Itís still in character to fear for your life without wanting to speak ill of your Captain.

I wouldíve loved to have it come full circle and have Nami actually win on her own after the fact, or at least like others have said blah blah, but I donít get why that scene is looked down upon. Itís a solid scene for Nami.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what heís lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Re: if other fights will end up like Nami's/Usopp's

The special ingredient for why their fight was so lackluster was they had THE force of forces tear through and nerf their opponents, a Yonkou. Big Mom is now thankfully occupied by Kid and Law, so it'd have to be some weird-ass shit where Kaido just decimates Sasaki for no reason.

If it had just been some mid-strength character who just punched Ulti or something, that could've easily been shrugged off both by the readers and her. So if something like that happens to one of the other fights, it's much more palatable. They are generally Ancient Zoans after all, extreme durability.

That and, let's be real, Oda does have a team of editors and it's clear they pay attention to social media. This is a clear misstep for most and they'd never let Oda repeat a mistake like this again for all upcoming fights, not that he would. It's just an outlier that's gonna suck to deal with, so now Oda has to do some heavy lifting for Nami and Usopp, which he shouldn't have had to do in the first place.

I think I see Oda's thought process. Problem: Usopp and Nami are too far below Ulti. Solution: Weaken Ulti. The problem is he just went way, way too far with the force he used on the solution.

Another thing is Nami and Usopp are much weaker than Ulti, whereas the gap between the other Straw Hats (beside Chopper, kinda sorta, gotta remember Monster Point) is much closer to the Tobi Roppo, so they won't need help. It's just an unfortunate byproduct of them being too weak. My solution? The Tobi Roppo don't all need to be a uniform strength, just have Ulti and P1 not be so ridiculously strong.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    How is the lack of interwoven nature any different than Usopp’s declaration of believing in Luffy in Alabasta and that whole arc/battle?

Also, don’t get me wrong, I see the overstuffing in the arcs so if a story is overstuffed and it’s a blink and you’ll miss it moment, then it’s not doing a good job, but recall what Franky said to Nami when they faced Big Mom. She wants Franky to run away but Franky reminds her the SHs are meant to make Luffy the Pirate King. So now we have the moment where Nami was unable to hold her own against a strong opponent and was given the option to die if she renounced her Captain (which came from one of the only Big 6 that has claimed Kaidou would become Pirate King iirc in chapter 983), and then she wouldn’t even upon knowing she was going to die. Sure she couldn’t fulfill her role in keeping her end in helping Luffy become Pirate King, but she still held her opinion based on that. And I liked she didn’t face death with dignity, still pleading for her life. It’s still in character to fear for your life without wanting to speak ill of your Captain.

I would’ve loved to have it come full circle and have Nami actually win on her own after the fact, or at least like others have said blah blah, but I don’t get why that scene is looked down upon. It’s a solid scene for Nami.
    Agreed. I thought the scene was completely organic and natural. In fact, having a Sabondy like situation would otoh not have been organic imo. This scene works because there are no stakes. There will be no major harm done if Nami lies and says what the enemy wants to say. Usopp encourages her to do so, and Nami has had no qualms about lying or saying stuff she doesn't mean before. Still she doesn't give in.

In fact, I doubt that Luffy was present for similar scenes with other crewmembers. And it would feel inorganic for that to happen now, just so we can have a scene similar to what we already saw at Sabondy

But anyway, I just caught up to One Piece after around 4 years of break(since chapter 850), and all I can say for now is it's good to be back. I didn't expect that we'd see Big Mom and Kaido teaming up. I really liked how crazy things got in Whole Cake Island, esp Big Mom's backstory. Damn, that was...something. Wano honestly feels like it's an arc that Oda has been wanting to write for a long time,and you can just feel that he's enjoying writing it. Esp for first 2 Acts.

Still not completely happy about initial Sanji hostage situation in WCI, but atleast it didn't last long

Levelie was okay. I personally was somewhat disappointed at how it turned out and was shown. One thing that i must point out that I disliked a lot was how the trope of evil Celestial Dragons being reused once more,even with the exact same characters. Now, I don't have a problem with chimps like Charlos being chimps. What i find problematic is that Cipher Pol and Elder stars not restraining such retarded and senseless stuff like making a princess of a member nation of WG and a Levelie attendee(only 50 /~170 countries are invited) a slave. I mean yeah, Fishmen are and were discriminated against, but the WG made them a part of WG, made Jinbei a Shichibukai,so it's not like they don't want relations to improve.Not to mention that it would reduce confidence among even human royalty like Vivi and others, given their equal is treated in such a way

It's one thing to mistreat ordinary people and outlaws, but if they allow such stuff against royalty, heck even princess popular among the people, it's like they are just begging for a revolution
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

How is the lack of interwoven nature any different than Usopp’s declaration of believing in Luffy in Alabasta and that whole arc/battle?

Also, don’t get me wrong, I see the overstuffing in the arcs so if a story is overstuffed and it’s a blink and you’ll miss it moment, then it’s not doing a good job, but recall what Franky said to Nami when they faced Big Mom. She wants Franky to run away but Franky reminds her the SHs are meant to make Luffy the Pirate King. So now we have the moment where Nami was unable to hold her own against a strong opponent and was given the option to die if she renounced her Captain (which came from one of the only Big 6 that has claimed Kaidou would become Pirate King iirc in chapter 983), and then she wouldn’t even upon knowing she was going to die. Sure she couldn’t fulfill her role in keeping her end in helping Luffy become Pirate King, but she still held her opinion based on that. And I liked she didn’t face death with dignity, still pleading for her life. It’s still in character to fear for your life without wanting to speak ill of your Captain.

I would’ve loved to have it come full circle and have Nami actually win on her own after the fact, or at least like others have said blah blah, but I don’t get why that scene is looked down upon. It’s a solid scene for Nami.
    You can compare the Nami and Usopp declarations when in pure isolation, but one of the reasons it feels a bit flat is that it lacks the dramatic windup Usopps' moment had; Yes there is some preceding statements from Franky and Ulti that relate to the moment, but in terms of flow, we move from "Group pose! The Straw Hats are here to kick ass and take names! And heres theres Namis matchup now" instantly to Nami being beaten, sobbing, about to die. And then you also lack the cathartic payoff of Nami then moving to power through and win after making her big statement, rather than lucking out and being saved.
    If you just had Usopps declaration agains the Mr 4 pair, and had cut out the entire preceding battle as well as Usopp managing to win afterwards, that moment wouldn't be so fondly remembered either. When you fragment things into "moments" like this they can't be expected to work as well as when you're given the full picture.

Sure, Alabasta is not flawless either. But the deal is: Back then the dramaturgical flaws were outliers.

Whereas today these flaws basically affect every dramaturgical layer. Like we have a weak emotional core (no proper thought line from isolation to Kaido misery), a weak main conflict, weak characters (servants of plot, like Doflamingo dropped all his cunning and charisma and just became a complete moron during his arc), lots of pacing issues (see Daz right before) and so on.

It's actually super hard to really pinpoint what's wrong because nowadays there just is way too much of that.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    Sure, Alabasta is not flawless either. But the deal is: Back then the dramaturgical flaws were outliers.

Whereas today these flaws basically affect every dramaturgical layer. Like we have a weak emotional core (no proper thought line from isolation to Kaido misery), a weak main conflict, weak characters (servants of plot, like Doflamingo dropped all his cunning and charisma and just became a complete moron during his arc), lots of pacing issues (see Daz right before) and so on.

It's actually super hard to really pinpoint what's wrong because nowadays there just is way too much of that.
    In terms of the raid portion... It's like when tension starts to build, it's swiftly resolved, not allowing to really digest neither the building tension nor the conclusion... It's just too abrupt in some cases.
    Hereís how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what heís doing. Luffy replies ďThinkiní bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!Ē and then chucks it off the ship

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Well that’s Oda’s biggest problem right there in a nutshell: there’s too much in his story and is finally not able to juggle the balls properly, or at least he did for this final arc/saga.

I always say Water 7 is the best arc in One Piece and the best example of juggling multiple plot lines together and having them all culminate. That said, if helps that the main focus of those plot lines ended up being on the Strawhats. The plot wouldn’t have been done nearly as well if the focus was on Paulie and his betrayal or the Franky family focus like Oda is trying to do with the story now. He knew when to focus on what; Wano just dropped the ball big time given the evil deeds were under Orochi with Kaidou ultimately just being the muscle, so all his henchmen don’t have weight to them. And even if they did, like you mentioned, Oda decided to focus on Oden and his endgame plot instead of focusing on the samurai and what they went through during their time in Wano without Oden. Causing the disconnect. Kinemon should be the next Vivi but I’m the only one who seems to think so and I’m reading between the lines at best tbh.

Wano has a lot of good ideas, but there’s too many ideas and none quite forming correctly in a storytelling way that’s satisfying.

That’s why I wanna read Dressrosa again to be honest. I know people felt the same way when reading that arc here reading weekly that’s being said about Wano but then I see folks outside this forum that read it in one sitting or completely instead of weekly praise it immensely. Though people love Law and Rosiante whereas no one has latch on to any relevant Wano character except for Oden, villain or protagonist.

Then again then again, I never read Skypiea weekly, but even I could tell the Shandians and Enel’s forces are pretty 1D albeit with cool powers outside of Enel himself. And yes it did have cool battles for the crew there wasn’t depth to the story really until the end. Wiper only got interesting once we knew his reasons for doing everything, but that wasn’t until the end of the arc where one of the best flashbacks occurred.

Not saying the story hasn’t been declining in my eyes the last few years, though maybe it’s just the jadedness of these forums despite having good points about the given greviances. It’s just nice to find the good amongst the bad.

Like for example, I loved the Supernova vs Emperor fight way more than I expected to. I also think the Samurai vs Kaidou had its proper moments. Despite pacing issues and wonkiness I loved them all facing off against Kaidou, Kinemon declaring Luffy to be King of the Seas, there being stakes in Kiku losing her arm, and Kinemon’s recent last minute attempt to stop Kaidou with a small flashback of him and Momo trying to act like father/son.

Rambling now. Point is, there’s way too much. A fair amount is being undercooked, paced badly, having odd focus, but maybe it also feels that way due to reading week to week with each chapter being read in a vacuum instead of the story as a whole where maybe reading it all at once will show pacing isn’t that bad as we’re giving it credit for (know Fishman Island flowed a lot better for me when I reread it all at once vs when going through it weekly in real time).
    And yes, this is definitely a proper chapter to complain given Nami’s “victory” and how unsatisfying it is, but it’s nice to see where things go before jumping to conclusions (though again, probably a bad example here because most people predicted Nami’s victory to be unsatisfying. They just didn’t realize to what extent)
    Last edited by Gizmo; June 17th, 2021 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what heís lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

It’s just nice to find the good amongst the bad.
    I liked the naming gag with Zeus.

That actually is super funny.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Oda hasn't gotten bad at making matchups. It's just that this was an Ulti x Zeus fight. Lots of emotional development for the little cloud. Nami... she was there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    Oda hasn't gotten bad at making matchups. It's just that this was an Ulti x Zeus fight. Lots of emotional development for the little cloud. Nami... she was there too.
    This guy got it! Exactly!

This wasn't Nami's moment, it was Zeus'. He got his redemption and made Nami more powerful. Nami's chance to show what she can do with her new weapon-companion is still to come.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Prediction for 1017;

This is Kurozomi O-Tama, wreck the shit out of the SH's my lovely GiftSlaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    This guy got it! Exactly!

This wasn't Nami's moment, it was Zeus'. He got his redemption and made Nami more powerful. Nami's chance to show what she can do with her new weapon-companion is still to come.
    Finally some sense.

Uh uh uh nami beat Ulti, uh uh that wasn’t supposed to happen. Oda has lost his abilities.

Who the hell is Ulti?. Unfreaking believable. It wasn’t enough that this Ulti character got tenderized by Big Mom and then beat by the cloud that was part of Big Mom fighting power, no no no Nami should not have done that because Ulti is the Ultimate character and her hype is beyond contestation.  And there is no tension.

At least they stopped masochisting Luffy for the moment.  Luffy must lose because Kaido’s HYPE is beyond Nature. Why Oda, why are you letting Luffy fight equal against Kaido?. Kaido should be mopping the floor with him. Kaido’s hype. There’s no tension. Just give Luffy the One Piece Oda, I’m done.

This is how many see this manga. If Luffy is not living in Struggle Town (which believe me, he has Struggled enough on this arc and vs Kaido) and the strawhats are not in the helpless situation that they were in saboaty island then the story is no good. There’s no tension, the say. They’re like masochists that want their main characters to get their ass kicked most of the time and somehow win or get away by some struck of luck. They want their HYPED characters who’ve been hyped to the sky for a long time, to remain so, and they want the strawhats to keep being the punching bags that get saved by some Deus Ex Machina AKA Shanks or some luck or some other Hyped character.

Ulti was a nothing that got one shotted by big Mom. It is obvious that her defeat was about making that cloud redeem itself and becoming part of the gang.

But... Most of the complaints aren't about Nami being able to defeat Ulti but quite the opposite, that she wasn't able to do so without someone tenderizing Ulti to the extreme for her first. We wanted Nami to kick more ass, not less.

Also, Ulti is one of the Top 10 strongest fighters in a Yonko crew.. I wouldn't call her a nothing, really, she would have given most of the Strawhats a tough fight.

Discovered Stowaway bryannmaina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    In the end, it all sounds like, "so and so didn't get their fight".
    Accurate. .
    beware

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    But... Most of the complaints aren't about Nami being able to defeat Ulti but quite the opposite, that she wasn't able to do so without someone tenderizing Ulti to the extreme for her first. We wanted Nami to kick more ass, not less.

Also, Ulti is one of the Top 10 strongest fighters in a Yonko crew.. I wouldn't call her a nothing, really, she would have given most of the Strawhats a tough fight.
    She even did quite well against Luffy. I think, as far as the tobi roppo go, she's one of the toughest. Perhaps close to calamity level.
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November

Quote Originally Posted by flandrian15 View Post
    She even did quite well against Luffy. I think, as far as the tobi roppo go, she's one of the toughest. Perhaps close to calamity level.
    Well, we haven't really seen enough from the others to judge, Ulti has gotten by far the most screentime of all the Tobi Roppo. From their depiction early on, I got the feeling that Who's Who and Sasaki at least should be even tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Agreeing with most of the stuff reading and even said this things before... But I have to speak about the emotions... SHs are sidelined... Ok but even the emotional stuff Oda tried to give us through others characters feels lackluster...

Dunno if it is because of the hundred side characters introduced in one arc or that everyone and their mother will get a sob story now. Even villians as Senor Pink.

Besides Zou sob story I really don't give the slightest damn about any of the sob stories post TS... Which is strange as pre skip even now give me some tears in my eyes.

Dressrosa could be so we'll written if it would be a simple flashback of ONE side character to explain the shit he has done. Instead we had at least 4 with Lyrics, Rebecca, Riku and the dwarves... It's not like we haven't got that DoFla is a piece of shit with just one of them
    I am actually surprised that you don't complain about how Oda has completely and utterly betrayed Sanji's character in the Wano arc.

Think about it, one of Wano's greatest problem is starvation. Its the one of the major emotional crux for the arc.

Sanji's entire character is based on him being a cook and knowing the hell that is starving to death.

If Oda was still on point as an author. He would have ensured that Sanji as a chef played a vital role in resolving the starvation problem. We could have had scenes of Sanji travelling through Wano and making kick ass food from scraps.

We could have had Sanji use his Newkama ingredient skills to cook food that would bolster the alliance force's strength.

Sanji should have been the one to meet Tama and want to take down Kaidou and Orochi because they are doing one of the things he hates the most.

But nope, we have mediocre writing from Oda.

Sanji barely acknowledges or comments on this situation.

The one time he did, he was cooking food for the wealthy elite of Wano. Like WTF. Why did Oda and his editors think that was a good idea.

Seriously, based on Wano's themes. Wano should have been Sanji's arc, not Zoro's.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Default Re: Chapter 1,016 - It's me, OTama!

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post

That would really throw us for a surprise. Maybe Carrot can be the stowaway, while Yamato be the apprentice. Also, I wonder if Zeus counts as a crewmember now, since he is technically with Nami now.
    Sure I'd be cool with that idea. No one said you had to choose one or the other, if both can still join.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information