+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,015: Chains

Default Re: Chapter 1,015: Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    I never knew Oda plays Pokemon.
    Yeah, he has commented on playing quite a number of video games too, like Animal Crossing back in 2006.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Definitely liked this chapter much better than the last couple.

Woof, Kin'emon is getting a super rough go of it. That flashback scene of him and Momo was cute, though. It's been quite a while since the fact that that they pretended to be father and son has been brought up or had any relevance.

I personally like the Heart Pirates being the ones rescuing Luffy. It was set up neatly earlier, and I had also thought it was kind a bummer that only 4 members of a 21-person crew were actually participating in the gigantic battle going on right now, so here's a chance for some of the other 17 to be relevant. And the fact that Luffy played a role in Law saving Jean Bart from slavery at Sabaody ("Save half your thanks for Straw Hat!") can come back, too, whether it's directly acknowledged or not.

Miscellaneous thoughts: Sanji vs Queen, let's go! Zeus as Nami's Clima-Tact is pretty funny; looking forward to seeing how that enhances its powers. And it's nice to see people like Sanji and Law not being too worried about Luffy and confident he'll pull through.

Gotta admit this line got a chuckle out of me: "If he fell into the sea, he's dead for sure!" says Big Mom, who fell into the sea earlier this same arc and is not, in fact, dead.
    Hidden:

Anyway, it was nice seeing Ikkaku again in Chapter 1015. Cuties like that don’t get enough panel time.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Chopper didnt even have time to remove all the arrows on his back.

Pretty sure Oda just arbitrarily removed them.
    I always maintain that in between panels like inbetween scenes a world of things happen. Not everything needs to be seen. If that were the case there'd be millions of panels displaying every movement.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Man, Oda's really been knocking it out of the park the past few chapters. They've all felt like they have so much going on at once. There have certainly been parts of Onigashima where it felt like the plot was moving forward in inches every week, but lately we've been making substantial steps in every chapter.

Still no WT100 colour spread though? I'm starting to think it's being saved for this year's anniversary (is it 24 we're up to?), which I guess makes since since polls are usually an anniversary thing anyway.

Briscola still fighting the samurai after getting his dumpling shows something that makes sense but hadn't been properly illustrated before: the Gifters are very definitely still enemies until Tama tells them not to be, hence the importance of getting her to the balcony to give the order. People in these discussions have been acting like the Gifter fights were over the moment she showed up, but they're not over yet.

Although, the chapter does raise the question of why she isn't doing what Momo does and grabbing a Mary. How does her power work over radio waves or magic devil fruit comms?

We're moving back into familiar territory with Sanji's arrival on the Performance Floor. He's fighting Queen. Chopper is flagged to fix Zoro up enough to likely face King, who's been conspicuously offscreen for a few weeks now. Maybe he tag teams it with Marco. I'm sure some will be disappointed that Oda's going back to the old formula after teasing Chopper stepping up to an enemy executive and Zoro being taken out surprisingly early by the end boss. It doesn't seem like there's going to be a lot of big surprises left in how characters match up and who takes out who. But to my mind, the most important thing is that the clashes are interesting, no matter how predictable the matchups.

While Sanji's entrance was great, I don't think his move and its effects were super well communicated. Queen's neck spinning around to block the arrows makes sense. But I don't how he managed to go from that to swinging low enough to take out Perspero (without cleaning up any of the samurai surrounding him) and end up with his whole body flipping over the air. It feels like there's a panel missing that should show Sanji redirecting the dinosaur into the candyman. This could have been a bigger moment if it read more clearly.

Oda really wants me thinking there are dead Scabbards in this arc. Christ, the flashback and the silhouette are a brutal combo.

The voice Momo heard being Luffy's is not something I think anyone was expecting. Is this a sign that people with the Voice of All Things are almost telepathic to each other, even unconscious? But then, Law's crew talk about hearing Luffy's voice through the water, and Kaido sensed Luffy's animosity toward him even when Luffy was passed out, and I don't think either of them have the VOAT. This one definitely begs some more explanation.

The rallying spread is great. This likely being the opening of volume 101, it may be setting the tone for the next ten chapters as the battle pushes toward its conclusion.

And Momo falls from Onigashima. It had to happen one way or the other, but using Shinobu's powers to make it happen was smart. He's flying Luffy back to the island on his back. It is foreseen and inevitable.

I really like the visual of Luffy upside down in the depths, silhouetted by the submarine's light. It's a simple, small panel, but it's definitely memorable. I think it'll come out really well in the colour volume sometime in the future.

Zues surviving in the Clima Tact is something a lot of people guessed. As with the Sanji and Zoro matchups, I think this flags something a few people have been hoping Oda would avoid: Ulti's revival and final attack on Nami and Usopp. Nami's got the "stronger lightning" she said she'd need to take the dinosaur out now, there's no way in hell Oda isn't giving her the chance to use it.

I hope Kid and Law's tag team Big Mom fight gets enough screentime. Oda could definitely have fun playing them off each other.

Another small thing: I love seeing the hole Big Mom made in the side of the dome and I especially love that you can see the inside of the castle, including the gap between floors when you look closely at it. The attention to detail makes this series.

Yamato and Kaido have me excited for next week. Kaido's still pretty lacklustre in the personality department, so a spat with a family member could go a long way to fleshing him out in a way that his emtionally disconnected clobberings of everyone else didn't. Similarly, Yamato absolutely needs more screentime to justify the marketing push to have him as a crew candidate. Interactions with current Strawhats and a place in the crew dynamics are the most important thing, but some more backstory told through one on one time with a major villain should also help.

The path to the end of Onigashima is looking pretty clear at this point. Final matchups are all but locked in, only pending Zoro's setup with King, and key moments like Momo's flight and Luffy's return have been prepared. We could even start seeing the longer-running fights move toward conclusions in the next few chapters. The only variable that really feels like left to me is exactly how to stop Onigashima from falling on the capital. Surely it's something to do with Momo and the flame clouds, but just having him be suddenly be able to lift the island like Kaido feels like too much of a leap in strength.

Oh, and I loved Oda's comment, totally forgot he was playing Pokemon Go. Hope he got his Gibles. I didn't have great shiny luck myself, but I got a lot of 3-star ones. I doubt I'll find many battle-related problems that can stand up to seven high-IV Garchomp being chucked at them.

Pumped for next week, as always.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Jinbe is to high of a bar .
    Like for sure not all of WB commanders were near his level .
    Kaido and BM crew get done different in terms of how they do ranks .
    Still some of the flying six and BM people should be under him for certain aside from a few people.
    I don't think Jimbe's too high of a bar. I think yonkou commanders (and any other title given different rankings) aren't that far away from Jimbe compared to the huge gap between Jimbe and some of the strawhats.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Finally, Sanji will have his moments... now don't take it away from us, Oda. Pretty please. He's in a dire need of badass scenes.

Momo is so brave man, even though he's crying he still strive to inform the fighters about Luffy. And yeah, that Luffy cliffhanger is concluded so quickly we don't even have time to argue lmao.

Seeing Kid and Law tag-teaming Big Mom, I'm sure she will be defeated here. Law's DF is broken as always and maybe Kid can also learn to coat his attacks in Conqueror's Haki.

And finally, the real meat juice of this chapter... Yamato vs Kaido!! It will be good!
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Ah, what a glorious chapter. Within the inevitability of darkness, where prospects of hope and the tangibility of courage cease to exist, a glimmer piercing the veil of shadows endures. A miracle. A message. A mind unyielding to the inabilities of the past. Luffy has not lost. Luffy will not lose. Luffy refuses to lose. He will make it back to Kaido and beat him. The battle has not reached its end, it is but at a point where all hopes have gathered behind Luffy and Momonosuke. The Samurai may not know Luffy but they believe in Momonosuke and Momonosuke believes in Luffy. Every second endured is a second closer to Luffy's return and Kaido's defeat. Don't give up! And Fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Wait a second, so Luffy lead the Heart Pirates with Voice of All things to him or what?

Now I understand what the people in the spoiler section meant with telepathy (I thought it was just Sixth-Sense Momo picking up Luffy's voice and the regular Eye-frog transmission did the rest).

Pretty weird. So Luffy can invade people's minds now? Like he woudn't need a Den Den mushi anymore, just his psycho power?
    Greg has foretold Luffy having this ability. This is how Luffy will talk to the whole world for the final war.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Woot! Great chapter!

I liked the short flashback scenes with Momo and Kinemon, was really touching to be honest!

I'm also glad that Luffy got saved pretty earlier on. He brought on great moral for everyone on the island. With him healing, this will give time for the other fights to be focused on in the meantime.

And Yamato finally met with Kaido! I'm very sure we gonna have a flashback next chapter expanding on Yamato's and Kaido's relationship with each other. It's what I feel is being hinted at honestly, so I can't wait to learn more about Yamato's past!

Quote Originally Posted by Sereques View Post
    This is how Luffy will talk to the whole world for the final war.
    I never thought of that! That means once Luffy learns the lost history, the whole world will finally know it. That be interesting to see, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    I never thought of that! That means once Luffy learns the lost history, the whole world will finally know it. That be interesting to see, to be honest.
    Probably not the details. One Piece will trigger a war. The whole world will know why Luffy is fighting.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Discovered Stowaway DarkHamster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sereques View Post
    Greg has foretold Luffy having this ability. This is how Luffy will talk to the whole world for the final war.
    did he? Just curious if it's posted anywhere so I could get more details. I mean that seems to be logically where it's headed. Luffy/SHs making so many friends around the world they start a global uprising against the world government.

sidebar. I hate hate hate that chopper is made to seem like a whimp AND so easy to made to believe Luffy lost. Both Nami and Ussopp's mettle/belief in Luffy were tested but they didn't waiver....but Chopper after all this time believed it? nah.

This was a fantastic setup chapter. As many expected, Sanji was always destined to fight a Yonko Commander this arc, and it ended up being Queen after all. That should be a lot of fun given the latter's personality, and I'm interested in learning more about his ties to Judge.

Kinemon getting brutally stabbed like that finally convinced that he won't make it out of this arc alive, regardless of whether he survives this latest death blow from Kaido. And I do feel that he will given his wife Tsuru, as well as Kaido's taunts.

Also glad to see Momo get an unexpectedly good moment with him rallying the troops. I was expecting something crazy to be speaking to him, but I definitely didn't expect it to be Luffy. VOAT or whatever they got going on is so fascinating.

Lastly, at long last Yamato and Kaido finally confront one another. It took way too long, but on the flip side the long wait honestly ended up getting me real hyped over it. So much can be done here to flesh out both characters further, and I'm really excited to see what Yamato's DF is.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHamster View Post
    did he? Just curious if it's posted anywhere so I could get more details.
    He's said it a few times over the years, and probably on the podcast. It's been one of his endgame theories for a WHILE.

The gist is that the One Piece will unite everyone by sharing the true history... and it will do it all over the world simultaneously... somehow. What Luffy's doing now could certainly be key to that.

Also ont he prediction is that folks will get to see their dead loved ones at some point. That was slated for EOS as well, but the fire festival might be time for it too.

I can't pinpoint an exact post or podcast episode though, sorry, it's literally years old.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

"Oda is forgetting a certain shitty cook, heh, am I right, guys? It's like the soccer team rankings where he's on the lower ranks. I'm so cool for shitting on a fiction character, right guys, right?"
    "Man, Sanji is useless, he should be removed from the arc"

Fucking embarassing.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    "Oda is forgetting a certain shitty cook, heh, am I right, guys? It's like the soccer team rankings where he's on the lower ranks. I'm so cool for shitting on a fiction character, right guys, right?"
    "Man, Sanji is useless, he should be removed from the arc"

Fucking embarassing.
    And why should I feel embarrassed stating my opinions?

Oh and you could count on me to slander Sanji again when Oda takes the battle against Queen from him, like he did to Usopp and Nami. Not everyone must praise Oda for his storytelling, some critiques are fine and well in a community of consumers.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Zues surviving in the Clima Tact is something a lot of people guessed.
    Many people guessed that but i don't think people guessed Zeus would become the Clima Tact, which i think is a great and promising idea

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    And why should I feel embarrassed stating my opinions?

Oh and you could count on me to slander Sanji again when Oda takes the battle against Queen from him, like he did to Usopp and Nami. Not everyone must praise Oda for his storytelling, some critiques are fine and well in a community of consumers.
    You were not stating an opinion. You were stating something that you believe is a fact, and this can be figured out from your wording/the way you presented it. Learn the difference between facts and opinions first before hiding behind "B-but that's just muh opinion."

Critiques are indeed fine, when NOT short-sighted. Unfortunately, your "critiques" are short-sighted, which were proven wrong by the highlight on Sanji in this chapter. That's what I find embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    Fucking embarassing.
    A mod asked you not to do that 2 weeks ago. It seems the people you criticize are not the only ones who do not learn

"I wait for you, Luffy!" blackness662's Avatar

The chapter was pretty good, but nothing extraordinary.
    I think Oda should focus more on the fight against Tobiroppo, especially Who Who and Black Maria.
    They need more screentime.
    Or we can move to Kaido vs Yamato, which will be another interesting battle to be seen.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information