+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,014: The Ham

Default Chapter 1,014: The Ham

Manga Plus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009372
    VIZ Manga: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...76?action=read

No break: Chapter 1,015 planned for June 6.

Author Comments 5/30/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ngs-05-30-2021

Eiichiro Oda

I went to the Gyomu Super store of my dreams and bought the giant coffee jelly and scarfed it down!
    Last edited by Shift; May 30th, 2021 at 09:19 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: Chapter 1,014: The Ham

This is a good volume ender. Really brings in the tension.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Lol, perfect title for a translation. If someone does not understand it, check it here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LargeHam

Now, THIS chapter is what I've been expecting for a long time! Tragedy looms! We are close to the end of the act!

This may be Volume 100's final chapter, but I'm guessing it will actually have 11 chapters and end in 1,015.

What I expect next for next chapter(s):

- Chopper runs out of Monster Point
    - Brook is trapped in web and Robin seems cornered.
    - Ulti awakens and finds herself carried by Page One (which makes her happy). They are huning doen Usopp and Nami, who can’t be far.
    - Sasaki manages to damage the General Shogun
    - Who’s Who identity revealed.
    - Tobi Roppo’s bounties revealed, and the numbers are astounding.
    - Marco is cheap shotted by Perospero. King’s bounty revealed.
    - Nekomamushi attacks Perospero, but is interrupted and knocked away by the arriving Big Mom Pirates
    - Yamato confronts Kaido
    - CP0 updates the situation and declare the Alliance’s defeat is imminent.

Then Act 3 ends.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

That last double spread is the best one in Wano so far, that´s all I have to say.

Rather surprising I’ve seen people claim that Chopper and the others shouldn’t better themselves in Haki because it would make everyone “samey” and that “not everyone needs an ultimate power up” even though they’re up against an Emperor and his forces who are also quite skilled in Haki.

I don’t want to disrespect Chopper and the others for much how hard work they did during the time skip, but in light of Chopper saying that none of his attacks are doing anything against Queen, they should face the reality of the situation they’re in despite how cruel and harsh it is to think about, that all the skills Luffy and the others have right now just aren’t enough!

Viewed entirely seperate from the rest it is a good chapter with good moments and fun designs like Queens extendo neck being all segmented meat chunks. But when it comes at the end of a long run of wonky pacing, wasted opportunities and outright mistakes it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I get that handling a huge behemoth of a story arc is anything but easy, but it's frustrating all the same. Oh well hope he can stick the landing at least

That was a hell of a chapter for me. That last page really hit me, especially since I read this directly after viewing the last anime episode. Another great moment was Zoro and Sanji steadfastly refusing to even entertain surrendering, which makes their place on the cover of this volume really feel cemented. This is a loooong arc, but I think the pacing has actually been pretty good, and the only thing I haven't liked all that much so far is Big Mom taking out Ulti and Page One. Otherwise I think Onigashima has been fantastic and I can't wait to see how Oda handles approaching the Wano mainland.

I can't wait until we can see Jinbe and Robin's fight extended, by the way. It's interesting to see that Jinbe must have had some success since Who's Who has transformed back.

edit: It also feels like we're right on the precipice of learning some big shit about Kozuki's place in the world and the role of Joy Boy. I can't fucking wait!!

edit: Last thing. I think Luffy must have come up with a new gear on the spot and Kaido is commenting on how it was crude. If it was just him infusing Gear 4 with CoC, I can see why that wouldn't work against Kaido's resilience. This could definitely be leading to a real new Gear without the drawbacks of the others.
    Last edited by andre; May 30th, 2021 at 09:32 AM.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Black Coffee Beam is a genius pun. Good work Steph.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Lol, perfect title for a translation. If someone does not understand it, check it here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LargeHam

Now, THIS chapter is what I've been expecting for a long time! Tragedy looms! We are close to the end of the act!

This may be Volume 100's final chapter, but I'm guessing it will actually have 11 chapters and end in 1,015.

What I expect next for next chapter(s):

- Chopper runs out of Monster Point
    - Brook is trapped in web and Robin seems cornered.
    - Ulti awakens and finds herself carried by Page One (which makes her happy). They are huning doen Usopp and Nami, who can’t be far.
    - Sasaki manages to damage the General Shogun
    - Who’s Who identity revealed.
    - Tobi Roppo’s bounties revealed, and the numbers are astounding.
    - Marco is cheap shotted by Perospero. King’s bounty revealed.
    - Nekomamushi attacks Perospero, but is interrupted and knocked away by the arriving Big Mom Pirates
    - Yamato confronts Kaido
    - CP0 updates the situation and declare the Alliance’s defeat is imminent.

Then Act 3 ends.
    Stephen Paul says the title is also a reference to a song

I'm pretty sure Denjiro was Kinemon's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I'm pretty sure Denjiro was Kinemon's best friend.
    Yeah, Denjiro is Kin'emon's best friend, but Kin'emon was Kanjuro's best friend.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Kaido knows about Joyboy but has not been to Laught Tale... why?:

1) Someone who could read poneglyphs must have informed him about what being 'Joyboy' means, or informed his previous captain Rocks and then told him (lets take this route).

2) The complete prophecy and story of Joyboy is almost certainly written on a poneglyph in Laugh Tale, therefore maybe Rocks has also been to Laugh Tale (before Roger) and this is were he learnt about it. Plus info on the clan of D's and that only a D can be a Joyboy. Ps: Even if Rocks could hear the voice of the poneglyphs (still unknown), he would have needed someone who can actually read them to obtain this info. Either someone from Ohara or a Kozuki member.

3) If Rocks has ever been to Laugh Tale (this opens possibility of more people (in current timeline) prior to Rocks having been there), it could not have been with a Kozuki member, as they were left in isolation in Wano except for Oden and he was not around when Rocks was. Ohara was bustercalled 20 years ago... Could be Clover or Olvia or some other scholar been in Rocks ship?!? (Crazy theory time)

4) In this field of assumptions and if anything of what i said becomes true (we will learn in Kaido backstory after act 3 finishes), could it be that Rocks, after learning about the prophecy, had the dream of becoming Joyboy? What if he was trying to be Joyboy even if he knew his time was not right? Just because of ego reasons.
    Maybe this is why Kaido knows about Joyboy, because it was his captains dream to become him.

Im only saying this because in this chapter Kaido made it clear that someone else (not luffy) was trying to become Joyboy.

--Now whatever comes after this regarding abandomnent issues Kaido may have or why Rocks was not able to become Joyboy still is unknown.
    ---Rocks has only been siloueted but his broad smile is definitely legit.
    ----Luffy and Rocks comparisons and how Kaido may see some of Rocks in Luffy are kind of there too. (Not confirmed though)

Really loved the chapter, this time the end-of-act despair is tangible.

I'm not too far from thinking like Wolfwood though. It works really well if you don't stop to think about everything that happened before, but in the big picture Kanjuro's back-and-forth or Nami's wasted resolve are going to sting no matter what.

Interesting tidbits about Kaido visibly knowing something about Joyboy, this is likely a teaser for an incoming flashback.
    Also liked the part about Chopper's upgrade to his Monster Point. It does come a little out of nowhere right in the middle of battle, but Caesar is a really good choice to help him on that front. Now I'm half-expecting the time limit of Monster Point to hide a monster-within-the-monster, something that would take Chopper a step further in terms of battle prowess but with possible permanent side effects.

On Kanjuro...Mixed feelings. It is powerful that Kiku knows the ruse yet still cannot bring herself to strike Oden, but the scene might have worked better if that was not the third confrontation with Kanjuro and all the jumping around in between.

Kinemon's last stand is...I don't know. I would love it if it weren't for Oda's track record with forced cliffhangers and apparent deaths. Curtain closing for Kanjuro's part could serve to justify a flimsy last-minute ink clone, or Kinemon is down for the fight but still survives the way Pound did... On the other hand the Scabbards' story seems to be taking a turn for tragedy, so who knows, maybe there's another death that could stick. Either way, Oda very much wants us and Mononosuke to think that Ki is gone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Rocks D. Xebec was said to have broken several taboos and to attack the WG directly. The Rocks Pirates probably came to learn a lot of secrets from Celestial Dragon documents and government facilities. It doesn't meant they got the whole picture, but they probably learned about several things: Poneglyphs, Joyboy, the Ancient Weapons... None of those are common knowledge after all.

This chapter made me question one thing. If Kaido knows about someone "becoming Joyboy", then he has no way of becoming Pirate King without a Joyboy, right? So, maybe he tried to have a Joyboy of his own. Maybe that's why he begot Yamato? Maybe Yamato's mother was a D, thus making Kaido's son also a D, and that's why Kaido wants him to be shogun, despite his rebellious nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    Kinemon's last stand is...I don't know. I would love it if it weren't for Oda's track record with forced cliffhangers and apparent deaths. Curtain closing for Kanjuro's part could serve to justify a flimsy last-minute ink clone, or Kinemon is down for the fight but still survives the way Pound did... On the other hand the Scabbards' story seems to be taking a turn for tragedy, so who knows, maybe there's another death that could stick. Either way, Oda very much wants us and Mononosuke to think that Ki is gone for good.

Luffy has a more meaningful connection with Kinemon than he did with Pound though.

I don't think Kin'emon is dead, at least yet. Also, I think he will survive to reunite with Otsuru.

Kanjuro and Kiku, however, I believe in dying. Both had a chance to speak their last words, and both felt like tragedies.

Another point to compare those defeats: Kiku was struck when her resolve faltered. Kanjuro wanted to die and was satisfied with his dramatic last stand. But Kin'emon was full of resolve when he faced Kaido to buy time. Resolve is important in One Piece, haki is a manifestation of willpower. So, add that to the chances of dying of each one.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post

1) Someone who could read poneglyphs must have informed him about what being 'Joyboy' means, or informed his previous captain Rocks and then told him (lets take this route).

2) The complete prophecy and story of Joyboy is almost certainly written on a poneglyph in Laugh Tale, therefore maybe Rocks has also been to Laugh Tale (before Roger) and this is were he learnt about it. Plus info on the clan of D's and that only a D can be a Joyboy. Ps: Even if Rocks could hear the voice of the poneglyphs (still unknown), he would have needed someone who can actually read them to obtain this info. Either someone from Ohara or a Kozuki member.

3) If Rocks has ever been to Laugh Tale (this opens possibility of more people (in current timeline) prior to Rocks having been there), it could not have been with a Kozuki member, as they were left in isolation in Wano except for Oden and he was not around when Rocks was. Ohara was bustercalled 20 years ago... Could be Clover or Olvia or some other scholar been in Rocks ship?!? (Crazy theory time)

4) In this field of assumptions and if anything of what i said becomes true (we will learn in Kaido backstory after act 3 finishes), could it be that Rocks, after learning about the prophecy, had the dream of becoming Joyboy? What if he was trying to be Joyboy even if he knew his time was not right? Just because of ego reasons.
    Maybe this is why Kaido knows about Joyboy, because it was his captains dream to become him.

Im only saying this because in this chapter Kaido made it clear that someone else (not luffy) was trying to become Joyboy.

--Now whatever comes after this regarding abandomnent issues Kaido may have or why Rocks was not able to become Joyboy still is unknown.
    ---Rocks has only been siloueted but his broad smile is definitely legit.
    ----Luffy and Rocks comparisons and how Kaido may see some of Rocks in Luffy are kind of there too. (Not confirmed though)
    Kaido hasn't been to Laugh Tale because he doesn't have all of the Road Poneglyphs and doesn't know that Laugh Tale is (my belief in the location of One Piece is in the spoiler tags)
    Spoiler:
    at reverse mountain

I would assume the other person who was trying to be Joy Boy Kaido is mentioning is Roger, but I could be wrong.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Really surprised wit Kaido and Joy Boy. Its not that he simply knows the name, he apparently knows what Joy Boy is supposed to be. Did he find out wit Rocks or by himself ? We also have to consider the fact that Kaido wants to do what WB was mentioning in MF. Challenge the entire world.

Fantastic chapter. We'll see about Kinemon, but I believe in Kiku and especially Kanjuro being dead/will eventually succumb to their wounds.

Biggest surprise outside of that was Chopper finally upgrading his Monster Point (thanks Caesar), on top of him still fighting Queen. Even if he isn't actually doing anything to him, it's still amazing to see Chopper fighting a Yonko Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Rocks D. Xebec was said to have broken several taboos and to attack the WG directly. The Rocks Pirates probably came to learn a lot of secrets from Celestial Dragon documents and government facilities. It doesn't meant they got the whole picture, but they probably learned about several things: Poneglyphs, Joyboy, the Ancient Weapons... None of those are common knowledge after all.

This chapter made me question one thing. If Kaido knows about someone "becoming Joyboy", then he has no way of becoming Pirate King without a Joyboy, right? So, maybe he tried to have a Joyboy of his own. Maybe that's why he begot Yamato? Maybe Yamato's mother was a D, thus making Kaido's son also a D, and that's why Kaido wants him to be shogun, despite his rebellious nature.
    1) As you say, they could have learnt about Joyboy from stealing these secrets to WG and CD direclty. Although they could have also known through someone in their crew who was able to read poneglyphs.

2) 'Pirate king' is just the term the WG gave Roger, it has nothing to do with Joyboy. The prophecy carved in the poneglyphs is unrelated to becoming pirate king.

Kaido cannot become Joyboy but can become Pirate king, no need for anyone in his crew to be Joyboy.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Kaido hasn't been to Laugh Tale because he doesn't have all of the Road Poneglyphs and doesn't know that Laugh Tale is (my belief in the location of One Piece is in the spoiler tags)
    Spoiler:
    at reverse mountain

I would assume the other person who was trying to be Joy Boy Kaido is mentioning is Roger, but I could be wrong.
    Exactly, Kaido has not been to Laughtale, but who knows if Rocks has.

Roger learnt about Joyboy once he got to Laughtale, but never wanted to become him, this was not his goal. He accepted the Joyboy would only come around 20 years later. It is only after learning about the Joyboy prophecy that someone could want to become him.

My guess is that Rocks heard about it, became obsessed about becoming Joyboy (he had all the requirements except for the timeframe) and this is why Kaido knows about someone becoming Joyboy. He may not know the whole prophecy though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information