+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,014: The Ham

Default Re: Chapter 1,014: The Ham

Here, it is, the (extremely probable) end of volume 100. And what a note to end on. Due to the surprise element of the raid, their enemies underestimating them and just because they're far stronger than some fans gave them credit for, the alliance has had a strong showing in the early stages of the battle, but the Beasts Pirates are outlasting them, remaining standing as the heroes are run ragged. We're definitely coming up on the darkest hour of this battle, where it briefly seems all is lost. The only question is how many more will fall before Luffy finds his way back.

But Luffy's return is going to take some big justification. I didn't expect him to be shown hitting the water and going beneath the waves so explicitly. That definitely rules out a lot of possibilities. I feel like Luffy riding on dragon Momo's back still has to happen before we're done, but he can't just swoop down and pick him up now. Hm...

Kaido even knowing Joyboy's name is a big deal. Did he learn it from Rocks, perhaps, or is it just his own research into Poneglyphs in pursuit of the One Piece, or from ancient stuff he's found in Wano? I'm very much looking forward to the follow-up from this line.

Some people have taken this to indicate Joyboy is a title rather than a name, but I still think it could just mean Luffy picking up his will and acting in the same role as the original. Much in the same way Oden isn't a title, but that hasn't stopped Yamato.

The official release going with he/him pronouns for Yamato is pretty nice. I wonder if this is one of those things where Stephen pulled out his big red phone to Shueisha, or if it was just a judgement call.

I wouldn't be surprised if Momo's learning the same stuff Kaido was talking about from Oden's journal right now. Given that the end of the chapter brings them together, it could make for a very interesting discussion, if Momo can get over his fear and anger enough to actually talk about it. I won't blame him if he can't though.

Zunesha feels like a good bet for the voice he's hearing. The old elephant has to have a role to play in all of this, and that's who it was the last time Momo had trouble with voices. It could be in a good position to save Luffy and catch or deflect Onigashima if commanded right, which would give Oda the power to wrap up a lot of plot threads in one move. But wouldn't Momo recognise Vunesha's voice from last time?

My first thought was actually that it might be a Koby-style CoO awakening with the screams of battle pouring in, but the way he asks who the voice is like it's addressing him directly seemingly rules this out.

I absolutely love Chopper developing a longer-lasting Monster Point and being able to go head to head with Queen. Back in Punk Hazard, Chopper was upset Luffy went as hard against his body as he did against the giant kracken, but Luffy's got a pretty good read of threat levels. Let's also not forget that Chopper used this form to defend against Big Mom breifly during the Tottoland escape. His mascot status sees him underestimated a lot, but no Straw Hat is any kind of a slouch in battle, and we'll do well to remember that.

This also goes to prove that with the focus on casts of local characters in the New World arcs, the Strawhats are likely developing their skills offscreen and in the background. Info on limits and restrictions learned back at Fishman Island might not be reliable anymore. This could be important to remember as we get deeper into the crewmate fights in the later stage of the battle.

I've seen a theory that the risks of going beyond the limit of the new Monster Point will result in an even more monstrous form that runs out of control like the last one. It think that'd be super cool. Just some extra post-use downtime feels more likely, but I'd love a new monster to be what happens.

Obviously no one even thinks of surrender during the announcement spread, which is exactly as expected but still a great page to see.

And then we head into the last stretch of the chapter. Oda's almost got me believing that Scabbards will die in the raid. It's been flagged often enough, but it's usually not his style. The possibility that one of the casualties will be Kiku really does sting. Kanjuro's end is well and truly cathartic though. He feels well and truly down, even if the others pull through in typical Oda fashion.

I'll admit, on my first reading I thought Kiku had found herself unable to bring the sword down on Kanjuro again. Given how transparent the Oden disguise is now, I thought he was just speaking as himself to her. But Kanjuro was recruited after Kiku and Izo. It's absolutely Oden asking if Kiku could really cut him down, and that's why she hesitates. Maybe Kanjuro isn't such a ham after all. The goal of the actor's performance is to inspire real emotions even though the audience knows it's all fake, and Kiku was tragically encapsulated by the show.

I'm in two minds about Kin'emon's fate. He's definitely not *outright* dead - he'd get a chance to go through some last words either way - but it looks pretty bad for him. I'll be shocked if he does any more fighting, anyway. Hell, I could even be convinced that the much-theorised tragedy and act break are coming up if things continue like this, even though we know it doesn't have to happen.

This was a fantastic chapter. So eventful, and every major scene felt like it was a big step forward for the plot. We're in for a great few weeks if Oda can keep this kind of momentum up.

It's a real disappointment that Jump walked back plans of an Onigashima battle map. So here's my version:

As before, character's marked "last seen" are likely to have moved on from that location by the next time we see them. For example, the Scabbards and a few others are on the move, the yakuza bosses and Mink medics were last in the building that Chopper slams Queen through at the start of his scene, and Drake and Apoo used to be where Chopper and Queen are now, so they'll probably all be reshuffled, maybe just by one floor of the castle or to the other side of the Performance Floor, or maybe a little further depending on how long before their next appearance.

Whatever Momo wanted to tell everyone, is gotta be something concerning the current ongoing battle, something about Kaido, possible help coming, 9 shadows prophecy, etc.

Nothing else would make sense since Momo himself doesn't know if they're actually going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Luffy doesn't use "Gomu Gomu no" for Gears.
    He definitely does, though.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Speaking of which, Oda was oddly specific with Yamato's location being on the 3rd floor. I wonder if they'll run into jack or something else happens.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Battle map
    I think that's meant to be included in volume 99.

I want to be skeptical about Oda killing characters but I don't recall One Piece having this big of a killing spree before.

That's 3 major characters in one chapter, 2 of them good. Never mind Ashura Doji, Zeus, P1 and Ulti too. If Oda intends to mantain the "nobody ever dies in OP" rule he will have to go way beyond his usual streak of logic breaking. And if only some of those are dead, how are we even supposed to know which ones?

It sucks that the default reaction for dramatic death scenes is pure confusion instead of sadness now, because I'm pretty sure Oda intended to invoke some real sadness in some of those, particularly Kiku. Who, along with Kanjuro, is my strongest bet for being actually dead. But... this is Oda. Who knows.

It also would be hilarious if Zunesha is the one factor that removes Big Mom from the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    I want to be skeptical about Oda killing characters but I don't recall One Piece having this big of a killing spree before.
    Well Oda is the same person who had Robin’s island get destroyed and Law hide amongst dead bodies, and that those taking place in flashbacks shouldn’t minimize how cruel he can make the world be either.
    Last edited by electricmastro; May 30th, 2021 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Well Oda is the same person who had Robin’s island get destroyed and Law hides amongst dead bodies, and that those taking place in flashbacks shouldn’t minimize how cruel he can make the world be either.
    Sure but there has always been a huge divide between Flashback One Piece and Present Time One Piece.

Oda seems to be okay with creating a character who is already dead, but he has a lot of qualms against creating a character and then killing them.

Sure but there has always been a huge divide between Flashback One Piece and Present Time One Piece.

Oda seems to be okay with creating a character who is already dead, but he has a lot of qualms against creating a character and then killing them.
    He probably has qualms with it partially because he had so much weight with character deaths in flashbacks in the first place, with the death of Corazon, Hiriluk, Olvia, Saul, Fisher Tiger, Bellemere, and many others, and how he tends to cry when drawing stuff like that because he really feels it. I suppose Oda couldn’t figure out a way to bring all those deaths into the present in a way that was satisfying to him, and perhaps Yasuie could be a sign of him figuring it out since he didn’t choose to have Yasuie die like 10 or more years in the past.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Kaido knows about Joyboy but has not been to Laught Tale... why?:
    Kaido has like a 30-40 year pirate career. Plenty of places or ppl or times he could've came across that Joyboy info. Doesn't have to connect to Rocks. He could've went to Fishman Island and forced it out of the king (before it was a WB territory or maybe even during looking for a fight).

Don't think its that much of a surprise that he knows about him.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    He probably has qualms with it partially because he had so much weight with character deaths in flashbacks in the first place, with the death of Corazon, Hiriluk, Olvia, Saul, Fisher Tiger, Bellemere, and many others, and how he tends to cry when drawing stuff like that because he really feels it. I suppose Oda couldn’t figure out a way to bring all those deaths into the present in a way that was satisfying to him, and perhaps Yasuie could be a sign of him figuring it out since he didn’t choose to have Yasuie die like 10 or more years in the past.
    Yes, after Marineford that Oda who NEVER kills is gone. He kills. Sometimes.

Ace, Whitebeard, Oars Jr, Pedro, Yasui, Monet, Vergo are all dead imo.

But in the meantime, we have Pound with an insanely bad fakeout and Mr. 2 retroactively ruining the final scene of ID, so that Oda who defies both logic and storytelling quality to undo deaths is still very much alive.

And besides, while some of the Onigashima deaths seem likely, others go in the opposite direction. I really don't feel Zeus being dead. P1 is probably alive. Ashura Doji was victim to the least deadly killing method in OP (explosions).

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

This chapter is what I want from the arc: non-stop story development with minimal wasted panels/pages. Like if we have chapters like this all the way, I'd reckon we already reached the last part of the raid already.

As for Kiku and Kanjuro's "death" yeah no I can't buy it. Not dramatic enough for a permanent death like Yasu. Just a flesh wound lmao.

One of the most important thing in this chapter IMO is Chopper's scene. We see that despite Chopper laying everything he has, Queen is not even flinching. After Usopp, Nami and now Chopper; their abilities are still not on Yonko crews level. I won't be surprised if Robin and Brook hit a wall against Maria either tbh. There is a BIG gap of abilities between the crew.

Everyone
    must upgrade themselves for the challenges ahead.

"But Nami's just a navigator! She doesn't need to fight!"

"OP is not usual shonen battle manga where everyone in the hero's group must get stronger!"

Yeah, no.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    i'd like to know what those fodder were saying about yamato in japanese cause iirc japanese doesn't have gendered pronouns be as expected cause idiots on WESTERN twitter still think she's a man even though most of us can see where this whole dumb plot is going

and is the title referring to kanjuro or kaido going HAM?
    The japanese text has been calling him a man since the start.

There's a difference between sex and gender. Sex is biological, gender is societal.

Yamato wants to be a man in a man's world, and to go by "he". Gender role. What he's born as doesn't matter.

Every character in the series, including the villains, has respected this choice.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Little Garden made a huge deal about ne of the giant dying... and then not. Drum made a big deal about the snow rabbits dying... and then not. Alabasta didn't have a single named casualty despite being a war and Luffy's speech about how sometimes people die. Lots of people "died" during Skypeia. Marineford only had two confirmed casualties (though it can be assumed there were others.) The entirety of CP9 were beaten into unconscious and then left on an island that got bombarded to rubble by navy ships. Hody drowned entire ships of victims, but actually let them go to the surface so they could talk about him. Punk Hazard had a literal death cloud that got tons of people, including Kinemon, but then turned out to have a three day grace period. Dreserossa was crushed by a death cage but not a single noted casualty. The entirety of Zou was poisoned and came out fine.

Cake Island is still in the air on some of its victims, but about half have already been shown to be fine.

They have Law, Chopper, and Marco, as long as characters can survive for a few hours of being unconscious, they'll be fine after the battle is done.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    i'd like to know what those fodder were saying about yamato in japanese cause iirc japanese doesn't have gendered pronouns be as expected cause idiots on WESTERN twitter still think she's a man even though most of us can see where this whole dumb plot is going
    As Robby said, everyone in-universe that's familiar with Yamato, not just Yamato, has been 100% consistent in calling him a man for literal months now. Kaido's son. Son of Kaido. Young Master. Yamao (masculine nickname Luffy came up with) So the people that are in denial are the ones still referring to him with she/her pronouns.

Also, even if you were right about predicting how Yamato's character arc would end, that's completely irrelevant until that actually comes to pass. In the here and now, it's obvious that Yamato wants to be viewed as a man, so I still fail to understand why that's such a huge hurdle for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubtro View Post
    On a more serious note, I really love the fact that Kaido didn´t just sit down and have a drink but instantly enters the fray to clean up the mess.
    This is a really dangerous situation, finally.
    Yea one of the biggest surprises for me this chapter was Kaido just deciding to leave the rooftop like that. I was so positive there'd be some kind of excuse to keep him up there, namely Yamato. Instead he just shows up where Kinemon and Momo are like it's nothing, and shit just instantly gets real as fuck.

And we've already seen what Big Mom could do to his own henchmen. If he isn't stopped or distracted somehow immeditately, things are gonna get ugly very quickly.

I thought the Yamato thing was mostly done with and only ongoing in certain spaces, but my whole timeline is filled with it. It's not even about what Oda wrote. People just want to impose their ideology onto each other. Luffy and Kaido called him that, so you know what you're doing by going against that. There is no debate.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    This chapter is what I want from the arc: non-stop story development with minimal wasted panels/pages. Like if we have chapters like this all the way, I'd reckon we already reached the last part of the raid already.

As for Kiku and Kanjuro's "death" yeah no I can't buy it. Not dramatic enough for a permanent death like Yasu. Just a flesh wound lmao.

One of the most important thing in this chapter IMO is Chopper's scene. We see that despite Chopper laying everything he has, Queen is not even flinching. After Usopp, Nami and now Chopper; their abilities are still not on Yonko crews level. I won't be surprised if Robin and Brook hit a wall against Maria either tbh. There is a BIG gap of abilities between the crew.

Everyone
    must upgrade themselves for the challenges ahead.

"But Nami's just a navigator! She doesn't need to fight!"

"OP is not usual shonen battle manga where everyone in the hero's group must get stronger!"

Yeah, no.
    Well, they sure better overcome quick, because Kaido's coming after them and Onigashima is about to pull an Angel Island. XD

The chapter title is from this song.

"Le cabotin" with music by Georges Gavarentz.and original lyrics by Charles Aznavour, was released in 1968. The English lyrics were adapted by Bob Morrison.

I am only a ham
    It’s the way that I am
    I was born just to play
    On a stage cold and bare
    In a spotlight’s great glare
    It’s my life it’s my way

I’m a ham look at me
    On a stage I am free
    Every moment is mine
    Give me time to prepare
    Get an audience there
    And my talent will shine
    It will shine

In shady rooms and smoky light
    I bare my soul most every night

It’s both my torment and my risk

It’s in my blood
    It’s in my soul
    I live to act
    To play my role
    The final challenge burning bright
    I talk I laugh I know it’s right

Though I’m only a ham
    It’s my life it’s my story
    It’s a world of my own
    I can stand up alone
    In my moment of glory

And when the stage lights dim
    My cup fills to the brim
    I feel I can’t go on
    Until the moment comes
    My heart pounds like a drum
    I watch my execution

The curtains rise at last
    Aside my fears are cast
    I’ll enter make-believe
    And watch me as I weave
    The web of my illusion

Though I’m only a ham
    Let me be what I am
    I have chosen my fate
    I knew right from the start
    That I’d master my art
    And I’d live to create

You may think I’m insane
    And am foolish or vain
    But I’m true to my cause
    Set the stage
    Light the light
    You’ll see genius tonight
    Here in my tour de force.
    Tour de force.

Full make-up on
    With natural face
    With clumsy movements
    Or with grace
    I wish I thought
    In even bursts
    I feel drunk
    I feel cursed
    I’ll play the king
    I’ll play the fool
    I will be tender or be cruel
    I live I die
    I lie to you
    And I believe

Some will envy or scorn
    But it’s why I was born
    I am proud of my story
    I must be what I am
    I am only a ham
    In his moment of glory
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I thought the Yamato thing was mostly done with and only ongoing in certain spaces, but my whole timeline is filled with it. It's not even about what Oda wrote. People just want to impose their ideology onto each other. Luffy and Kaido called him that, so you know what you're doing by going against that. There is no debate.
    If so, then why are many people who are sure about referring to Kiku as a woman are unsure about referring to Yamato as a man?

Kanjuro could be dead for good this time. Though I wonder if there's a possibility that if Kin'emon shows up in a future chapter (alive), and Shinobu or Momonosuke are around, that they are hesitant on his reappearance. Whether it's actually him or not.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information