+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,013: Anarchy in the B.M.

Default Re: Chapter 1,013: Anarchy in the B.M.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Act 3 of kabuki plays usually have some big drama or tragedy, which we haven’t really seen emphasized in the act unless you count Oden’s death. The drama may not necessarily center on Luffy, but him losing Round 2 here may be meant to set up the mood leading into the drama that we may see within the next one or two months.
    Based off that description Luffy falling off of Onigashima to his “certain demise” would be a perfect place to end act 3..... if that is what Oda is doing

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post

The part with Luffy is interesting. Not sure how I feel about it, but admittedly seeing him put in place after being overconfident is better than carrying on the fight on somewhat equal footing. Guessing Yamato is gonna save him.
    Since when was he overconfident? Kidd and Killer had run off to deal with Big Mom, Zoro was out and Law was the only option to help him. Yeah he made a declaration he would win but ain't the first time when dealing with a foe (said the same thing to Vivi when fighting Croc, to Rebecca against Doflamingo and to his crew when getting ready to rumble against Katakuri), I see it more trying to give him and his crew reassurance to keep the morale going. He's gotten some hits in but for the most part has been on the backfoot during the fight and finally got something of an advantage after fighting Kaido's invincibility. Him losing is likely cause he got blindsided by something Kaido pulled or he just ran out of energy.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    What will make it 70?
    Your lack of acceptance that we're all the way til the end with 3 acts only.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by black-leg jex View Post
    It depends what happens in the next few chapters. If act 3 has to end on a tragedy then this is Oda setting it up.
    -Luffy is down
    -Zeus is down
    -Zoro is down
    -Carrot and Wanda are down
    -Ashura Doji is down
    -Marco wil probably get trapped by Perospero and beaten up by King
    -Queen will probably beat down Chopper and the Samurai
    -Big Mom will probably beat down Kid

And Oda might show us scenes of the straw hats and inuarashi on the losing ends of their fight.

I think Oda is setting up to make it look like they are going to lose the raid and Kaido will announce Luffy's defeat and then that might end act 3.

But as soon as act 4 starts we'll get Tama defeating Buo Huang, turning all the gifters to the Samurai side. Luffy will be shown to have been rescued. Law will arrive to help Kid. Sanji will arrive to help Chopper and Neko to help Marco. It will be Tama flipping to Go board and we'll start to see all the beast pirates losing their fights to the Straw Hats. Meanwhile Yamato will fight Kaido until Luffy can return to the fight.

Judging from the this chapter, Oda wants things to look dire for the heroes and then turn everything around with Tama.
    Narratively speaking, the Scabbards being groupally defeated is by far the most impactful tragedy Oda could've used to end Act 3.
    They're the heroes Wano's been waiting for 20 years, everyone else is just walking by.

Nothing tops the Scabbard's defeat, and Act 3 didn't end there, is not going to end anywhere else.
    Heck, nothing stopped Oda from "closing courtains" in this very chapter where Luffy went down(again), yet, it didn't happen(again).

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Since when was he overconfident? Kidd and Killer had run off to deal with Big Mom, Zoro was out and Law was the only option to help him. Yeah he made a declaration he would win but ain't the first time when dealing with a foe (said the same thing to Vivi when fighting Croc, to Rebecca against Doflamingo and to his crew when getting ready to rumble against Katakuri), I see it more trying to give him and his crew reassurance to keep the morale going. He's gotten some hits in but for the most part has been on the backfoot during the fight and finally got something of an advantage after fighting Kaido's invincibility. Him losing is likely cause he got blindsided by something Kaido pulled or he just ran out of energy.
    Overconfident might be the wrong word, I admit. It's hard to explain, but something about the fight with Kaido has felt odd to me. Like an itch you want scratched. Somethings missing. And this chapter scratches it.

I think one explanation is that I've had trouble understanding how much damage is being done here. Kaido freaked out over Oden wounding him and its made into a huge deal. Zoro does the same, but Kaido carries on, if a bit spooked. Before that all the supernovas only did internal wounds that may of may not be effective. And now it turns out there was a way to bypass his defence all along, a method I'd ssume at least Shanks also knows of. Basically Kaido's invincible defence feels like it's been a deteriment that's just made the fights more confusing, and now that Luffy has finally found a way around it I feel like I can get a grasp of the stakes of the fight. And starting by having Kaido assert his strength, and raising the stakes for Luffy, is a better starting point than the one we had before.

At least that's one theory. This is a fight I'd like to analyze closely once it's done, it's very fascinating. Important thing is that Luffy being beat here feels right. And I agree that Kaido definitely could've blindsided him or something. I'm leaning towards Luffy running out of Haki.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    So you're not in control of yourself, he is.

Don't be petty, just discuss stuff.
    I fail to see how that's your takeaway on all this. Calling someone out for being aggressively and overconfidently short-sighted after they were proven wrong isn't petty. Hopefully he learns from this so moving forward we can have better discussions, that's my core intention and why it's important to let him know at any given opportunity.

Anyway, Shift has already told me to lay it off and that's what I'm gonna do. Let's just talk about the chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    My guess is the arc can be wrapped up within 14/15 volumes, and Act 3 is going to last all of that.
    Most likely. With not all match-ups being finalized, vol 99 and 100 covers won't be the villains and heroes cover. Those might be for 101 and 102, followed by 103 for the climax cover and 104 for the ending cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    Last but not least, the release pace is really starting to take a toll. It's not all on Oda and I don't even think we've changed the normal pattern of mixed holidays and Oda-breaks, but I feel like there are just so many breaks lately. Ugh, I might pause for a while and come back when there's several chapters to read in one sitting.
    I believe we should go back to regular schedule after the break. Not counting unforeseen break due to Oda's health of course. We got two of those last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Loved the chapter. Lots of good character interactions, and it's a relief to see Big Mom being herself and turning on Tama. Since the fight started it's been a constant worry that Big Mom will somehow be nerfed in order to neutralize her, but I think I can relax now and not worry about it. I still think her amnesia will return at some point, but until then she's gonna be the good old BM I love. Crossing my fingers that it'll be a while.

Had a good laugh at the gifters showing up a second time with bruises after getting caught in Nami's attack. I'm curious where the fight will go from here, I think Ulti might still return. The bit with Zeus was nice and heartwarming, he's definitely coming to Nami soon, but I wonder how. Will he escape Hera? Will he somehow merge with her creating a new entity? But the best part was 100% Kid. I love all the supernovas, the more screentime he gets the better.

The part with Luffy is interesting. Not sure how I feel about it, but admittedly seeing him put in place after being overconfident is better than carrying on the fight on somewhat equal footing. Guessing Yamato is gonna save him.
    I mean, doesn’t Luffy display a lot of confidence since he’d rather go in wanting to win than lose in the face of great odds? I recall that he was still confident even after he lost twice to Crocodile for example.

Wonderful chapter.

YES finally, please let Luffy's loss stick for a while Oda. This should be a lost fight, not just a round.
    The whole homey stuff was so delightfully silly, I love it. Man who would have predicted something like this? Only Oda with his endless creativity could think this stuff up. I kinda prefer the unofficial translation. Hera saying Zeus-senpai as she eats him is just too funny.
    The short fight at the beginning was great as well.

Badass attacks, silliness and hype, this really is peak One Piece.

BM really took me by surprise though. I kind of like how she had an honorable side last time, only for her to completely betray it and try to kill Tama anyway. I went from loving her to loving to hate her. What an absolute monstrous piece of shit, I love it.
    The unbelievable plot convenience armor on Usopp and Nami is unreal, but I'm enjoying myself so much I don't even care.

For everyone who doesn't get why Oda had Nami take a stand last chapter only to fail immediately. I think the point was that she had no chance, but went for it anyway. For the first time, she was a lot like Luffy, recklessly charging into certain death for her ideals. I'm guessing this is the start of her haki blooming. I'm going with the crazy prediction that she actually learns armament this arc, instead of observation, so she can survive attacks better. Would be a fun subversion of expectations and would make for a really cool moment where, in a moment of sheer determination, she takes Ulti's headbutt head on with her own. Not blocking it completely but enough to not die. It's very unlikely but I'm hoping.

I wrote a lot on this in the spoiler thread already, but in short:
    Like Luffy, Ulti should definitely stay down now. I hope this will lead to characters dropping now, so we can have an act 4 where everyone gets their real match. Oda's most ambitious arc ever, with such incredible runtime and buildup, should have a climax like never before. I want him to take the nuclear option, with the raid failing, flower capitol destroyed, bringing the people of Wano and samurai to the brink of despair. For the Straw Hats to save the day when all seems lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Luffy was definitely being a little cocky when he taunted Kaido about dodging

The layout of the Mangaplus chapters with each page going down makes the double spreads and page transitions awkward sometimes, while as of the last 4-5 chapters Viz's pages have gotten smaller and I have a hard time seeing some of the text. Does either site have a workaround feature for this?
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    The layout of the Mangaplus chapters with each page going down makes the double spreads and page transitions awkward sometimes, while as of the last 4-5 chapters Viz's pages have gotten smaller and I have a hard time seeing some of the text. Does either site have a workaround feature for this?
    You can switch to horizontal view so that the doublespreads will actually be connected together as one big page.

As someone who is leaning on thinking we'll have 5 acts, I also think a lot more importance is being given to this act discussion than it is even necessary.

It's just the way the arc is divided, guys. It doesn't actually say much about what will actually happen.

The real discussions are whether the strawhats are going to lose the current undefined battles, whether Onigashima will be allowed to land, whether Nami/Usopp will have another shot at Ulti/P1, whether the battle will actually happen in Onigashima, or even how long (manga time) it will take for Kaido to go down (minutes? hours? days?).

Sure, having 5 acts mkes some of those things feel more right than others, but every possible answer to the questions I just named are possible with 3 or 5 acts. It's just not that important.
    Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy; May 16th, 2021 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    You can switch to horizontal view so that the doublespreads will actually be connected together as one big page.
    Thanks, I found the option to switch to horizontal and could read the chapter fine from there!
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    As someone who is leaning on thinking we'll have 5 acts, I also think a lot more importance is being given to this act discussion than it is even necessary.

It's just the way the arc is divided, guys. It doesn't actually say much about what will actually happen.

The real discussions are whether the strawhats are going to lose the current undefined battles, whether Onigashima will be allowed to land, whether Nami/Usopp will have another shot at Ulti/P1, whether the battle will actually happen in Onigashima, or even how long (manga time) it will take for Kaido to go down (minutes? hours? days?).

Sure, having 5 acts mkes some of those things feel more right than others, but every possible answer to the questions I just named are possible with 3 or 5 acts. It's just not that important.
    Yep, the only tangible difference between the number of acts is getting an intermission chapter(s). If you really love those, then sure, I get being pressed about hoping there's an Act 4. Outside of that though, doesn't really matter.

Maybe Marco will do a big healing wave and everyone will get up and have there one on one fights we’ve been hoping for..... but probably not

Nami, Big Mom, and Zeus

I just want to say again how incredibly well written Big Mom is as a character. She’s a character as often in conflict with herself as she is with other characters in the story. Oda wasted no time here in subverting our expectations. I was very much anticipating a one-on-one fight between Nami and Ulti. Operating with that assumption, I believed Law and Kid would arrive to distract Big Mom, leaving Nami to deal with Ulti alone and wow, was I wrong about the timing.

I think Oda intentionally hinted toward a Nami vs. Ulti fight, particularly when Nami expressed her need for greater power output to take Ulti down for good. With Hera replacing Zeus in Big Mom’s lineup of Homies, it seemed like the perfect opportunity for Nami and Zeus to reconcile, giving Nami the power she needed to prevail. I even considered, in keeping with Lola’s promise to Nami, that Big Mom would let Nami keep Zeus to protect Tama – that she would respect Nami’s shared ‘motherly’ instinct to protect Tama. Which, turned out not to be the case. And I was very happy to be wrong.

Big Mom’s attack on Ulti was brutal and certainly looks like it should have killed her, though I suspect, given the durability of ancient zoans, Ulti will be very much alive. The death of Zeus was even more brutal and unexpected. Oda plays on multiple tropes here to subvert our expectations several times before Hera finally consumes him.

Where I miscalculated was in underestimating the brutal / tyrannical side of Big Mom’s character. Yes, she has this motherly instinct, but it’s not a selfless parental love. Her desire to protect Tama does nothing to deter her anger toward the Straw Hats and despite Tama’s pleas, moves in for the kill. When Tama throws in her lot with Nami and Usopp, Olin’s rage extends to Tama herself – and this is perfectly in line with the Big Mom we came to know on Whole Cake Island. Her motivation may be pure, to create a nation where all the races of the One Piece world live in harmony, but it’s a manufactured dystopian candyland where people are forced to live under her tyrannical thumb.

We saw on WCI the punishment received by children who disobey and so her maternal care for Otama turns to rage when Tama ‘rebels’. In many ways, Big Mom is the inversion of Whitebeard, exemplified by the conversation between Big Mom and Marco in chapter 993 (I believe). Whitebeard was the good father and treated his crew like his children. He attempted to pay the price for the sins of his son, Ace, who went rogue in pursuit of Blackbeard. He forgave Squard for his betrayal. Big Mom conversely treats her children like her crew – meant to serve her every whim. There’s perfect harmony only so long as everything and everyone behaves to Big Mom’s liking.

We saw that Linlin was victimized and manipulated as a child by Streussen and Mother Carmel, but she started as a child with pure intention. There is however a brutal, monstrous side to Big Mom which is as much in conflict with her sweet caring side as are other characters in the story. This makes her such an interesting and dynamic presence both within the Wano story arc an throughout the New World. She is most certainly the most interesting antagonist Luffy has encountered in quite some time, so I hope her story does not end here on Wano (I don’t believe that it will). I just have to say again how much I love what Oda is doing with her character. Despite the fact that Big Mom stole Nami’s thunder here, I think the tone reversal from the previous chapter was really effective.

This week Oda reminded us in more than one way that despite their growth, the Emperors are still an unrivaled force of Nature in the New World…

Eustass Kid

Before getting to that final scene, I want to briefly mention Eustass Kid coming to the rescue! Very distinct Vegeta vibes from this scene. He’s not here for the purpose of rescuing Nami, Usopp, and Tama, but heir joy at seeing his arrival struck me as really interesting. Though Law, unlike the Grand Fleet captains will likely not ‘bend the knee’ to Luffy before his discovery of One Piece and coronation as the future Pirate King, he’s certainly not an antagonistic rival in the same vein as Blackbeared. Given his harsh, brutal nature, I expected Kid would occupy the later category of pirate, but I’m getting the sense here that I have been misreading Kid’s character – and that perhaps, like Law, he will occupy a similar role in the narrative – a rival mostly on friendly terms with the Straw Hats, acting as ally more so than adversary. I could be reading too much into this scene, but I get the impression that, like Vegata, his sharp (jaggy) edges, may be softened over time by exposure to Luffy and the Straw Hats.

Kaido and Luffy

Okay, now e come to the final, surprising twist – Luffy has been completely defeated (off-panel) by Kaido and sent plummeting from Onigashima to presumably the sea below. And… this is exactly what I expected was going to happen. In last week’s chapter, Yamato hastened her approach to the roof when Momo told her the fight had dwindled to just Luffy and Kaido. She lingered on the phrase ‘one on one …’, which to me seemed a direct callback to the narration box accompanying Kaido’s introduction. ‘In a one on one fight, always bet on Kaido.’

This ties into a theory I have posted in the past regarding Kaido’s inability to be killed. I believe that as an Eastern style Dragon, Kaido’s Devil Fruit affords him incredibly good fortune. The Beast Pirates and the upper echelon of the subsidiary Donquixote Family have names themed after card games, or in other words, games of chance. Gambling has been a recurring motif throughout this entire story saga. And now, I think we have a very good idea of how this ability or power might work. Though subtle, Yamato’s words here indicate that this good luck or good fortune factor kicks in when Kaido engages someone in one-on-one combat. We see evidence for this in chapter 970 – pure, dumb luck saves Kaido from what would have been certain death at the hands of Kozuki Oden. Even when overpowered, Kaido comes out on top. In a one-on-one fight, always bet on Kaido.

It's interesting that Oda chose to off-panel Luffy’s defeat, perhaps intentionally masking the means by which Kaido emerged victorious. Regardless, I think this underscores the fact that Luffy can’t go it alone in this fight, despite his newly mastery of conqueror’s haki.

I didn’t believe this was the final phase of the fight between Luffy and Kaido, given the ongoing situation with Onigashima flying to the Flower Capitol and the fact that none of the fights on the lower levels have yet been resolved. Luffy was also far too confident and the situation wasn’t nearly desperate enough for his fight with Kaido to be nearing a conclusion. I expected Yamato would arrive in time to see Luffy lose, but now it seems she will arrive alone on the roof to face her father. It will be really interesting to see their first exchange of dialogue and perhaps could trigger a flashback, filling in details about both of their pasts, perhaps revealing what makes Kaido so unkillable (like the aforementioned good fortune factor).

Where things go from here is the real question. I don’t know if Oda will logistically be able to create a clean break between acts, but Luffy’s defeat certainly makes that a far stronger possibility. Kaido says that without Luffy’s body as proof, the Straw Hats won’t believe he’s dead. This, to me, implies Luffy will be out of the picture for a length of time. Whether that’s only until (near)Dawn or a prolonged length of time remains to be seen, but it implies Kaido is about to rampage through the castle, given that he’s now left unchecked, proclaiming Luffy’s death. The Straw Hats of course will never stop believing in Luffy – holding out hope until he finally returns with the means to defeat Kaido…

And this opens up the door for another theory I have posted:

Despite Luffy’s progress and new mastery of Conqueror’s Haki I felt he was not yet desperate enough for this to be the final phase of his battle against Kaido. Yamato’s words in the previous chapter were foreboding and signaled Luffy’s parity with Kaido would be short-lived. If the above theory is correct, both the good fortune factor and the one-on-one activation, then Luffy will need allies to fight by his side. But didn’t that scene already unfold with Zoro, Law, Kid, and Killer? I suppose Yamato could fight by Luffy’s side, but it still doesn’t seem like enough.

I have two ideas on how Luffy may achieve victory. If Kaido’s Devil Fruit is responsible for his inability to be killed, then perhaps Momo’s artificial Devil Fruit, made from Kaido’s, imbues Momo with the same good fortune, and thus Wano’s future shogun may be the key to ending Kaido’s winning streak. Moreover, we must consider Toki’s prophecy of ‘Nine Shadows’. This could mean nine individuals fighting by Luffy’s side, but it’s hard to imagine the scattered allies returning to fight by Luffy’s side. Zoro’s out of commission. Law and Kid are likely to soon be busy with Big Mom. And so I am still partial to the idea that the literal Nine Shadows of the Nine Scabbards will be imbued into Luffy in accordance with this prophecy. Oda reminded us of Moria recently during the intermission between Acts 1 and 2 and again in Oden’s flashback. I could easily envision Teach recruiting Moria with the promise he help Moria get revenge on Kaido. It’s an alliance built on mutual self-interest. Moria gets his revenge and Teach perhaps picks up some powerful Devil Fruit. I don’t imagine Blackbeard himself will arrive on Wano, but perhaps Moria and a few of his Titanic Captains. Admittedly, a lot still needs to happen for this theory to pan out. Now that Luffy’s plummeting to the sea below, he is certainly in need of a savior, perhaps of the unlikely sort.

Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

I was anticipating some big developments for the looming end of the hudredth volume, and I sure got them.

At a glance, this chapter seems to pull a 180 on everything we thought was being built up for Nami, with Ulti down and a permanent Zeus powerup off the table. But I'm not so certain the change in plan is gonna stick.

First up, Ulti. It wouldn't be Onigashima without characters seemingly taken out in sudden, unsatisfying ways jumping back up and getting back in the fight. Even characters who fall in dramatic, protracted and narratively appropriate ways aren't immune to sudden revivals.

And sure, the lightning laser to the gut *looks* bad, but this is One Piece. Ulti wouldn't even be the first Emperor's executive to get back up from a hit like that. Oven took a hit from Ichiji that seemed at least as bad, and was up and clashing with Aladdin five minutes later.

And then there's Zeus. Beyond the cop out explanation of homies just being really fucking weird, having Nami's baton go into Hera's mouth as Zeus was swallowed gives Oda several ways to justify his return, from the black balls powering him up enough tor eturn, to him hiding inside the baton.

So yeah, until Oda starts building up something else for Nami to do, I'm taking this chapter as misdirection and assuming that taking down Ulti with Zeus is still on the table.

Outside of all that, the character interactions this week were all really fun. From the Strawhats and Big Mom to the homies among themselves, it was all great. I wonder what the people who had a harsh initial reaction to "mother mode" when it first came up thought when she threatened to kill Tama. Even in the chapter it came up, the full context made it clear it wasn't a personality override, but this really sells that Big Mom is as capricious as ever.

The Hera reveal is the weakest part of the chapter. Her design incredibly flat and plain compared to the other homies and Oda's usual design standards. She just doesn't pop out of the page at all. I think she could have used an accessory like Zeus's little hat to add flair, or have her hair or some other part of her body in permanent dark stormcloud mode to bring a bit more contrast to the design.

Oda appears to be flagging a Kid and Law teamup against Big Mom as her final battle. We know Kid has old beef with her, but Law actually skipped the side trip into Big Mom's territory. He was the first one to get a hit on her up on the rooftop though. I think this'll work well long-term though. I can see Kid and Law bickering over who's more responsible for toppling the Emperor while Luffy gets ahead as the last man standing against Kaido.

And speaking of Luffy and Kaido... I've been saying for weeks, even before the CoC development, that with so much of the larger battle left unresolved we were overdue for the tide of the battle to flow back Kaido's way. I sure did get that. Wasn't expecting Luffy to be literally blasted off the island though. Interesting seeing how hard Kaido is taking the mistake of not removing his head, and Luffy not living up to his expectations. It echoes the mood swings he gets when he's drunk. More moments like this are what Kaido needs if he wants to stand any chance in the fanbase's collective consciousness against the series more memorable villains.

So what happens to Luffy now? It's anyone's guess whether Onigashima is over land or sea. Six chapters ago we were certain it was overland and close to the capital. Three chapters ago it was over the sea, with no sign of the coast when Big Mom fell. The only safe bet now is that the environment under the island will be whatever the plot needs it to be.

Of all the available options for getting back in the fight, I think a rescue by Momo is the most likely. He can sense Luffy's location. He's currently not doing anything but taking cover. He needs to do *something* flight related to conquer his fear of heights. He needs a reason to go where Kaido is and confront him again. It would be cool foreshadowing that basically the first thing Momo did after being introduced on Punk Hazard was fly Luffy back into battle after he was dumped in a pit by the main villain. There's too much setup for this not to happen.

Which is not to say he'll definitely *catch* Luffy before he hits the ground/sea. That would probably stretch travel times too much, and if there was someone else to catch him, it could give Luffy some time to recover. Big Mom's ship, Law's sub and even the conspicuously absent Zunesha could make good landing sites if over water, and there's Hitetsu and Caribou going strangely unseen in the war if over land.

This was a hell of a place for a break, especially knowing the next chapter is likely the volume-ender, but it's definitely keeping me hooked. Hopefully we at least get the volume 99 cover to tide us over on break week.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

This chapter makes it clear that Luffy's crews are not ready to scuffle with Yonko commanders. Or at least Nami and Usopp do. They need BM to defeat their enemies after all. I hope P1 and Ulti won't get up again, there is no honor finishing those heavily wounded enemies (but I guess pragmatism is on Usopp's blood).

Zeus subplot doesn't interest me at all. Guess he will come back just as a summoned unit for Nami, but without personality/sentience. But what will Nami use Zeus at?

Luffy's cliffhanger? Doesn't work. We all know that he will bounce back literally after some chapters. Onigashima is already on top of Wano afaik, we saw Mt. Fuji back then.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

The alliance is struggling. Off the top of my head, I don’t think the alliance has defeat a major Beast Pirate and most of the big hitters of the alliance are already down. It’s going to be a big miracle to come back from this.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Major pro of the chapter:
    - Luffy getting knocked out *again*. What's interesting about this one is Oda got well over 90% of the fandom, including me, to really believe Luffy could win this time.
    So while it does fall under the "Luffy loses to strong opponents" aspect of this story - which is one of the best aspects of One Piece - it's also a loss that caught most off-guard.
    It's a testament to how Oda knows how to PORTRAY something a certain way showing select scenes to get you to think a certain outcome is going to happen, but the reality of the situation is different.
    It's like we're being tricked with what the camera shows, basically.
    Oda did a very good job of making it look like Luffy was just going to win, period, because many take Luffy's "I'm gonna kick his ass this time!" as word of God, especially when backed by other Straw Hats.
    Kaido's just such a threatening and supremely monstrous villain that, nope, it doesn't matter if you said the magic words.
    One of my favorite writing decisions from Oda ever. The Yonkou are truly living up their name. And that's a major undercurrent of One Piece: "The Grand Line is tough. The New World is a nightmare." The Yonkou are the ultimate culmination of that for the New World, so the success of that major theme *depends* on them being shown to be incredibly strong and punishing.

Major con for me:
    I'll forever maintain that Ulti shouldn't have been injured that badly.
    Luckily Ancient Zoans have extreme durability (and even healing right? Kaido at least does), but if she goes into her main battle like this, not a fan of it.
    But if she does somehow get healed from this, then I'm fine with this decision.
    Big Mom's move just seems extra powerful from typical piercing moves we've seen.

I'll be very surprised if the next chapter doesn't have a major Luffy development, because it should be the end of volume 100, and I doubt Oda wants to end such a milestone volume on a grim note.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

So if the fortune theory is something that is a huge factor as to why Kaidou wins in any 1vs1, and why he has avoided death most of his life... I could see Luffy needing to have Momo around to face off with Kaidou again. Maybe wear Momo like a scarf.

My favorite prediction is that Luffy does fall in the sea, but is near the shore. He'll wake up washed up on shore to witness Kaidou having landed Onigashima on the capital, killing everyone.
    How much can you do? Just grab a ball and juggle.
    All those balls in the air, How hard can it be?
    So hard you're getting dizzy!
    Keep those balls in the air, Keep those balls in the ai-air!
    Balls in the air!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information