+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,012: Itch

Default Re: Chapter 1,012: Itch

Quote Originally Posted by hideoushorrendous View Post
    You're not alone who feels this way

Yamato is an annoying addition to onigashima that nobody asked for

I hope she doesn't sail/join with the crew ( or carrot ) because the cringe will be eternal .
    Judging by the crazy positive reception to Yamato, while people may not have asked for him, they clearly appreciate his inclusion into the story.

This was a fun chapter, even if it felt like a little bit of a transitional one. We're in the home stretch of volume 100 after this, so I'm expecting to see some real amping up in the next two chapters.

Kiku and Izo's scene was sweet. I'm glad Oda found an chance to let them talk about Izo's departure. Kiku's Mony Python Black Knight-style determination is also really impressive.

The Scabbards are splitting up further, which still feels like an odd choice. There can't be nearly enough roles for them all to have something to do. Cat fighting Perospero makes enough sense, but I think it would be best if Carrot gets to finish the job, especially with Bariete implying that blind anger kept her from reaching her full potential when they last fought. Kiku and Kanjuro, yeah sure, and it wouldn't shock me if Kinemon gets involved there too. But what are Kawamatsu and Izo going to do on the Performance Floor? I can't really see them being the endgame opponents for Queen and King, and Tama's only a few minutes from being totally in control of the fodder war down there. Where is Oda going to find opponents for all these samurai?

And where the heck is Denjiro? Perhaps he went back for Orochi, having worked with him for long enough to know Orochi has another head left, and not wanting to let that take Raizo by surprise.

I just can't get my head around what could be a better endgame for these characters as a group than their desperate but ill-fated clash with Kaido. Let alone how to top that for each of them individually. Oda, you madman, where are you trying to take this?

Yamato worrying about Luffy in an echo of Kaido's introduction narration makes me worried that Kaido has some trick or secret skill we don't know about yet. Something he only brings up when it's just him and the last enemy standing. Like I've been saying, it's too soon for Luffy's upper hand to be as definitive as it seemed. We're overdue for the pendulum to swing back to Kaido, and not it seems Yamato could arrive at the roof just in time to witness it happen.

Luffy and Yamato fighting as a tag team would be pretty cool, I have to admit. It wouldn't get them all of the way there, but I think it could be a strong point for their crewmate candidacy, if it's played right.

Sanji and Zoro's bit is a clear highlight. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. It's just really funny, a great homage to a classic, and a strong reminder of the comradarie hidden beneath their usual bickering. Law and Zoro falling onto Sanji's shoulders in the flashback section was great as well.

PageOne's looking too twitchy to be out for good. Usopp's still going to have his chance.

I loved Nami's attempts to manipulate Big Mom and Ulti against each other. That heart over her head when she turns to Ulti is a noteworthy inclusion

I wonder if having a literal kick the dog (and slap the child) moment will have an impact on Ulti's popularity. I think it makes a fun contrast going from her loud, bratty attitude to this kind of cruel reminder of why she's a villain. You don't get to the upper ranks of Kaido's hyper-competitive crew by playing nice.

I'm glad Nami's finally standing and fighting at the end. Nami gets angry a lot, but it's usually a loving, mock kind of anger. And as such, it's usually expressed through exaggerated face-faults. The last panel of this chapter isn't that. None of her usual sharp-toothed caricatures, we get an actual scowl out of her. That kind of raw fury is not an expression we get out of Nami often. The blood and dirt on her face, from a battle far more hands-on and bloody than she's usually allowed, only emphasises the effect and I love it.

I really hope the ending of this fight makes good on the setup. I definitely agree with the sentiment that Oda doesn't handle his female characters and their fights spectacularly, but Nami VS Ulti is looking so much more like what I'd want to see.

All that said, the last spread definitely feels cramped. This is the first chapter in about nine months to drop to 15 pages, and the two page loss feels immediately apparent. May it be the last shortened chapter we have to deal with for a long time.

Next week: possibly an Usopp setup to follow the Nami one, now that running is off the table. And who knows what else with Big Mom there and definitely not the ally some expected her to be, Zeus, Law and Kid coming, and everyone else basically scattering to all corners of the map. We're just two chapters from the probable end of a milestone volume, so keep your eyes open for big things.

Discovered Stowaway hideoushorrendous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Oh yeah, and Neko will stole the fight from Carrot too lmao.
    The audacity to believe Carrot is Perospero's equal is mind blowing

Last time I checked he beat her up in a handicap match and told her to eat grass

Be thankful he didn't kill her .

I'm sick of all the set up, just get to it Oda

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Robin has a fight, Nami has a fight.

I told it before: everyone will get their fight. This is the current saga's grand finale, it will have a moment for everyone.

Fun chapter, but it's mostly connecting tissue between important scenes. After a break, it was kind of underwhelming. Now I'm "itching" for 1,013.

Volume 100 ends in 1,014 or maybe 1,015. I wonder if we will get some big oh-shit moment to cap it off.
    Shared fights*

Brook is helping Robin.
    And when Nami makes the decision to stay and fight, it is customary that Usopp supports her. Which makes another shared fight.

Chopper will lose Monster Point eventually, and there really isn't anyone left for him(from the relevant foes).

As I constantly stated, this would be A LOT like Dressrosa, the other non-StrawHats were as likely as getting their own versus and that is now a fact.

Dory vs Apoo
    Raizo vs FukuroForehead
    Killer vs Hawkins
    Inu vs Jack
    Neko vs Perospero
    And Kin'emon/Kiku vs Kan'juro

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Shared fights*
    Usopp and Brook will move on to theirs, you can bet on it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is the saga-ending arc. Each Straw Hat will get their fight. Some may even get more than one match.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I feel like Usopp will have to carry Tama to the Live Stage, otherwise she will just stay around doing nothing but bleed.

Would also be a good excuse to have Big Mom pursue him and leave the girls alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Usopp and Brook will move on to theirs, you can bet on it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is the saga-ending arc. Each Straw Hat will get their fight. Some may even get more than one match.
    While I see nothing wrong with holding in the hope that PayPay will rise again.

You know Brook and Chooper are out, simply because there isn't even rivals for them anywhere else, which confirms that not all SH's will have fights.

I’m just tired of all the set up, all the characters have been bouncing around from floor to floor

It’s taking way to long to just get to the god damn fights, I’m usually patient with this but god it feels like this has been going on forever, was Enies Lobby or Dressrosa this bad cause it certainly didn’t seem like it (granted I read Enies Lobby in bulk not chapter by chapter)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    was Enies Lobby or Dressrosa this bad cause it certainly didn’t seem like it (granted I read Enies Lobby in bulk not chapter by chapter)
    Enies Lobby was absolutely this bad week to week.

And it had less characters.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Enies Lobby was absolutely this bad week to week.

And it had less characters.
    lol shows what I know

It was probably easier to follow at least, right? I mean there’s waaaaaay to many characters to follow now, I have no idea where the hell anyone is in comparison with each other

Even when you look at a map someone made showing who’s where it’s hard to follow, sensory overload

I’m just tired of all the set up, all the characters have been bouncing around from floor to floor

It’s taking way to long to just get to the god damn fights, I’m usually patient with this but god it feels like this has been going on forever, was Enies Lobby or Dressrosa this bad cause it certainly didn’t seem like it (granted I read Enies Lobby in bulk not chapter by chapter)
    I suppose it doesn’t help that this is just coming off of several chapters of Luffy kicking Kaido’s ass. Either Yamato joining up the fight or focusing on someone like Chopper or Robin will help varyingly spice things up again.

What is the extent of Marco´s healing power?

We know he can regenerate himself over and over, probably until his stamina is depleted.
    I just checked chapter 909 where he healed some beast ("fixed, should be healing faster now"), but he stated the effect of his power on others is limited.

I thought how convenient it would be to have Kuma on the hero side now, paw-paw out the damage from Zoro, but Marco might be just as good.

Considering Sanji and Zoro are going to the main stage (their interaction was golden), I assume Marco will be spent by the time they get there and use his last bit of strength for a "Phoenix Down" on Zoro.
    That will be the trade-off. Marco out, Zoro back in.
    It´s quite probable they will actually fight King and Queen then.

Seems like BM creating Hera and this BM-Ulti-Nami interaction is set-up to resolve how Zeus is going to end up being Nami´s official underling.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    This was a fun chapter, even if it felt like a little bit of a transitional one. We're in the home stretch of volume 100 after this, so I'm expecting to see some real amping up in the next two chapters.

Kiku and Izo's scene was sweet. I'm glad Oda found an chance to let them talk about Izo's departure. Kiku's Mony Python Black Knight-style determination is also really impressive.

The Scabbards are splitting up further, which still feels like an odd choice. There can't be nearly enough roles for them all to have something to do. Cat fighting Perospero makes enough sense, but I think it would be best if Carrot gets to finish the job, especially with Bariete implying that blind anger kept her from reaching her full potential when they last fought. Kiku and Kanjuro, yeah sure, and it wouldn't shock me if Kinemon gets involved there too. But what are Kawamatsu and Izo going to do on the Performance Floor? I can't really see them being the endgame opponents for Queen and King, and Tama's only a few minutes from being totally in control of the fodder war down there. Where is Oda going to find opponents for all these samurai?

And where the heck is Denjiro? Perhaps he went back for Orochi, having worked with him for long enough to know Orochi has another head left, and not wanting to let that take Raizo by surprise.

I just can't get my head around what could be a better endgame for these characters as a group than their desperate but ill-fated clash with Kaido. Let alone how to top that for each of them individually. Oda, you madman, where are you trying to take this?

Yamato worrying about Luffy in an echo of Kaido's introduction narration makes me worried that Kaido has some trick or secret skill we don't know about yet. Something he only brings up when it's just him and the last enemy standing. Like I've been saying, it's too soon for Luffy's upper hand to be as definitive as it seemed. We're overdue for the pendulum to swing back to Kaido, and not it seems Yamato could arrive at the roof just in time to witness it happen.

Luffy and Yamato fighting as a tag team would be pretty cool, I have to admit. It wouldn't get them all of the way there, but I think it could be a strong point for their crewmate candidacy, if it's played right.

Sanji and Zoro's bit is a clear highlight. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. It's just really funny, a great homage to a classic, and a strong reminder of the comradarie hidden beneath their usual bickering. Law and Zoro falling onto Sanji's shoulders in the flashback section was great as well.

PageOne's looking too twitchy to be out for good. Usopp's still going to have his chance.

I loved Nami's attempts to manipulate Big Mom and Ulti against each other. That heart over her head when she turns to Ulti is a noteworthy inclusion

I wonder if having a literal kick the dog (and slap the child) moment will have an impact on Ulti's popularity. I think it makes a fun contrast going from her loud, bratty attitude to this kind of cruel reminder of why she's a villain. You don't get to the upper ranks of Kaido's hyper-competitive crew by playing nice.

I'm glad Nami's finally standing and fighting at the end. Nami gets angry a lot, but it's usually a loving, mock kind of anger. And as such, it's usually expressed through exaggerated face-faults. The last panel of this chapter isn't that. None of her usual sharp-toothed caricatures, we get an actual scowl out of her. That kind of raw fury is not an expression we get out of Nami often. The blood and dirt on her face, from a battle far more hands-on and bloody than she's usually allowed, only emphasises the effect and I love it.

I really hope the ending of this fight makes good on the setup. I definitely agree with the sentiment that Oda doesn't handle his female characters and their fights spectacularly, but Nami VS Ulti is looking so much more like what I'd want to see.

All that said, the last spread definitely feels cramped. This is the first chapter in about nine months to drop to 15 pages, and the two page loss feels immediately apparent. May it be the last shortened chapter we have to deal with for a long time.

Next week: possibly an Usopp setup to follow the Nami one, now that running is off the table. And who knows what else with Big Mom there and definitely not the ally some expected her to be, Zeus, Law and Kid coming, and everyone else basically scattering to all corners of the map. We're just two chapters from the probable end of a milestone volume, so keep your eyes open for big things.
    It’s one of the shortest chapters in the series actually:

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    It’s one of the shortest chapters in the series actually:

Sure, in a 28-way tie kinda way. Anything that falls below the now-usual 17 is pretty low by default.

At least the drops to 13 are extremely rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubtro View Post

Seems like BM creating Hera and this BM-Ulti-Nami interaction is set-up to resolve how Zeus is going to end up being Nami´s official underling.
    Do you think Nami fighting for Tama's sake will be what makes Big Mom willingly give up Zeus to Nami?

That would be wild, cause it would be the second time Nami will be travelling around with a part of Linlin's soul in her pocket.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Is it safe to assume that Lucci was using Conquerors haki in his Rokugan attack?

Or is it more similar to Baby 5's husband fighting style. Or Wrestler dude from Blackbeard pirates.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Hopefully next chapter gets Zeus back with Nami and Big Mom ends up being the one to take Tama to the live hall. We are obviously still in set-up mode and I think we will be up until the point that Tama defeats Boa Huang and can make her announcement to all the gifters. That's the 'flipping the shogi board' moment that will turn this war around and I don't think any fights are going to conclude until this happens, as once the first victory happens the rest will all fall like dominoes.

It was probably easier to follow at least, right? I mean there’s waaaaaay to many characters to follow now, I have no idea where the hell anyone is in comparison with each other

Even when you look at a map someone made showing who’s where it’s hard to follow, sensory overload
    Enies Lobby being declared “Bad” has long been somewhat taken as a given on this forum.

But on more or less objective terms – and I don’t use that term lightly- it was far less chaotic than Wano currently is.

To start with, if we take the exact same point in the Enies Lobby raid as we are in Onagashima- roughly 36 chapters – half of the CP9 fights had been wrapped up, and if we omit the 7 chapter Robin flashback and focus just on action chapters (as has been the entirety of Onagashima), Luffy vs Lucci is all that is left at that point in Enies Lobby.

But more than that, the siege is segmented in chunks that makes for a far clearer flow –

First you have about 15 chapters of siege on the main island. This time is dedicated to letting the secondary tagalongs shine, building out the enemies a big more, and showing off Luffys main new powerup. Theres a clear geographical layout, and a constant sense that the heroes are advancing towards their goal.

Then theres the flashback, which is obviously all about Robin.

Then theres the tower, where pretty much all the secondary characters and ALL the fodder is left behind aside for very brief check ins and the focus narrows to JUST the 8 straw hats, the 7 remaining CP9’ers, + Kokoro and Chimney. Finally, its just Luffy vs Lucci and everyone else busy with the buster call. Theres a gradual narrowing of focus overall as it goes along.

For the battles in the tower, there is just three cases of “musical-chairs”, with Usopp-Jabra Sanji-Kalifa and Nami-Kumadori getting traded, as opposed to Onagashima where pretty much all characters get more than one matchup – Perospero alone is headed for his third separate encounter.

In Enies Lobby there are no Marcoh/Perospero/Tama style latecomers to the siege, and once an enemy was down they stayed down, save only for Spandam who pops back up at the very end in order for Robin to punish him and make the final escape more cathartic.

Tower of Justice chapters still cut between various POVs, but there is still a sense of definite progress, both in the geographical sense of Luffy gradually catching up to Robin, but also in the overall fighting sense; Fukoro goes down FOR GOOD just 6 chapters after the tower is breached, Kumadori two chapters after that. Its mostly the chapters inbetween Kumadori and Kalifas defeats that sag.
    Also helping is that not just the cast, but the amount of Factions and Subplots is way smaller.

So regarding your question on whether or not Enies Lobby was comparable in terms of endless setups and being as hard to follow, my answer is No. Not even close.

However, what Enies Lobby undeniably is is long, 55 chapters in itself (including flashback). A lot of that is due to time spent on just the one-on-one battles, which can make it feel a bit bloated, but you could probably trim down the back-and-forths by five or so chapters. But that is not the same is lacking in clarity, or being devoid of progress.

It doesn't help that Onigashima has been super confusing layout wise. On the most basic level there are two towers, one castle, the live floor and the outside but when you get down to the details it becomes really confusing (like the storage place Yamato and Momo were. Is that outside the Skull Dome or inside the Skull Dome? Is there an open area in one of the towers like there seems to be in Kaidou's castle? Stuff like that is not clear at all and it makes it hard to parse where everyone is / heading.

While I can picture Big Mom allowing Nami to "borrow" Zeus I highly doubt there wouldn't be a price to pay for it.
    Mama strikes me as a person who only give when she has something to gain from doing so.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information