+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,012: Itch

Default Re: Chapter 1,012: Itch

Underwhelming? I beg to differ. It was actually an Epic chapter.
    Nami showing her pirate scheming, sly tactics, but in the end stood for her child friend. That was a stellar showcase , imho
    Setting up of a Zeus-Nami reunion. The Sanji-Zoro scene was impeccable. The hilarity of Law on Sanji's shoulder was a moment
    The Cross and "30 day" hunger is either a stroke of genius or just a "coincidence"

Then, there's the Yamato set up to probably introduce Kaido's background story.

The set up for a Neko-Pero showdown. It's all falling into place

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Robin has a fight, Nami has a fight.

I told it before: everyone will get their fight. This is the current saga's grand finale, it will have a moment for everyone.

Fun chapter, but it's mostly connecting tissue between important scenes. After a break, it was kind of underwhelming. Now I'm "itching" for 1,013.

Volume 100 ends in 1,014 or maybe 1,015. I wonder if we will get some big oh-shit moment to cap it off.
    Arlong Park Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    Log Out
    Settings
    My Profile
    Notifications
    Welcome, lightforce
    News
    Forum
    New PostsPrivate MessagesF.A.Q. & RulesCalendarCommunityForum ActionsQuick LinksDonate
    What's New?
    Donate
    Webchat
    Submit
    Advanced Search
    HomeForumOne PieceMangaChapter 1,012: Itch+ Reply to ThreadPage 2 of 2FirstFirstPrevious12Results 21 to 21 of 21
    Thread: Chapter 1,012: Itch
    Search Thread
    Rate This Thread
    May 9th, 2021 11:30 AM#21
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join DateJul 2015
    Underwhelming? I beg to differ. It was actually an Epic chapter.
    Nami showing her pirate scheming, sly tactics, but in the end stood for her child friend. That was a stellar showcase , imho
    Setting up of a Zeus-Nami reunion. The Sanji-Zoro scene was impeccable. The hilarity of Law on Sanji's shoulder was a moment
    The Cross and "30 day" hunger is either a stroke of genius or just a "coincidence"

Then, there's the Yamato set up to probably introduce Kaido's background story.

The set up for a Neko-Pero showdown. It's all falling into place
    Edit / Delete
    Last edited by lightforce; May 9th, 2021 at 11:37 AM.

I really want to see what Oda has in store for Kaido and Yamato. I mean Kaido might call him an idiot but he still accepts his choice. He also wants him Shogun. Would be nice if we got to know who the mom is too.

Fun chapter overall, wonder if Nami will use Zeus or get advantage of Hera also.

I can't tell if I find the Yamato scene to be cringey because it is, or if online influence is starting to get me to irrationally react negatively to most things Yamato. I know in a vacuum I'd still find Yamato to be a pretty uninteresting character so far and his light hints of Mary Sue-ness are a tad frustrating (not as bad as Oden at least, but he's at least stuck as a flashback character), but I'd at least temper it with understanding the character's still pretty new and let him get fleshed out to hopefully eventually enjoy. Online just seems so... unnaturally obsessed with this character before I've seen anything particularly enjoyable about him to warrant such support that it's starting to bug and nag me towards disliking instead of being neutral. I've definitely never managed to avoid this happening with characters before, so it'll be a shame if Yamato starts actually being interesting and I can't make myself give him the chance anymore.

Anyway, the rest of the chapter was awesome. I'm starting to enjoy the scabbards splitting off to get their (hopefully) final tasks for the arc. Denjiro disappeared off screen apparently, so wouldn't be surprised if he falls back and joins Raizo when Orochi gets up again. Denjiro + Raizo vs. Forehead + Orochi? Hopefully Peros can handle Neko enough to warrant Wanda and Carrot recovering enough to return and assist in taking him down, I don't really want to see these turn into real 1v1s. Kinemon and Kiku will likely both need to help in finishing Kanjuro and his ink. Not sure what Kawamatsu and Izou could possibly be getting set-up to do, but I'm getting interested in seeing finally.

Cross Zoro and Sanji carrying him has gotta be one of my favorite things that've happened in a long while. And Nami was gold for the whole chapter with Linlin and Ulti. These 3 really earning 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place this chapter. Ulti also bringing some much needed character to the Beast Pirates side. Now we really just need some fleshing out for Who's Who, Sasaki, and King. I do hope Page one gets up in a bit and can finally get fleshed out a little too, otherwise the guy's gonna be a worse version of Buffalo this arc, but at least Ulti's picking up his slack.

Hopefully Big Mom doesn't just "admire Nami's guts" and leave to get back to finding Kidd. I'd rather she stay selfish and irritated at both parties and then something Kidd and/or Law do gets her attention and leads her off somewhere else for their fight. She can just brush off Zeus and tell him to do what he wants, she'll call him if she needs him.

I'm gonna take a guess that Yamato will reach the roof right after Tama makes her big Command on the live-floor to all the Gifters. Not sure how long that'll take, but I imagine Ussop will take off carrying her next chapter, and Team Sanji will arrive at about the same time and keep them safe.

Sanji holding Zoro face down the whole chap after Law told him to hold him face up is just gold. The cover idea was brilliant too. Overall an awesome chap.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Marcotty View Post
    I can't tell if I find the Yamato scene to be cringey because it is, or if online influence is starting to get me to irrationally react negatively to most things Yamato. I know in a vacuum I'd still find Yamato to be a pretty uninteresting character so far and his light hints of Mary Sue-ness are a tad frustrating (not as bad as Oden at least, but he's at least stuck as a flashback character), but I'd at least temper it with understanding the character's still pretty new and let him get fleshed out to hopefully eventually enjoy. Online just seems so... unnaturally obsessed with this character before I've seen anything particularly enjoyable about him to warrant such support that it's starting to bug and nag me towards disliking instead of being neutral. I've definitely never managed to avoid this happening with characters before, so it'll be a shame if Yamato starts actually being interesting and I can't make myself give him the chance anymore.
    He has a good design, his earnestness and eagerness are likeable, and his connection to Kaido, while currently not fleshed out, presents some fascinating storytelling possibilities for the future. And the fact that he goes by the gender pronouns that he prefers resonates with fans who may have felt underrepresented on that front until now, with both Yamato and Kiku in the same arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Robin has a fight, Nami has a fight.

I told it before: everyone will get their fight. This is the current saga's grand finale, it will have a moment for everyone.

Fun chapter, but it's mostly connecting tissue between important scenes. After a break, it was kind of underwhelming. Now I'm "itching" for 1,013.

Volume 100 ends in 1,014 or maybe 1,015. I wonder if we will get some big oh-shit moment to cap it off.
    Yeah, though I think it might amount the same as last time when Ulti got back up after previously getting shocked, unless a future chapter is setting up a dramatic moment involving her getting Zeus back.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Because the whole thing is a mess right now, here's an useful chart of character locations.

https://i.imgur.com/RXZKarw.png
    Noice.
    Good job to whoever made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto View Post
    He has a good design, his earnestness and eagerness are likeable, and his connection to Kaido, while currently not fleshed out, presents some fascinating storytelling possibilities for the future. And the fact that he goes by the gender pronouns that he prefers resonates with fans who may have felt underrepresented on that front until now, with both Yamato and Kiku in the same arc.
    Yep he has gotten a good amount going for him in 20 chapters .
    Along with what you said you have his connection to Ace, him looking strong , does comedy bits ,even his meeting with luffy was fun .
    All that left is to flesh him out but it is not uncommon for people to like a character before we see that since it happens often lol .
    TLG , FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 2015 the E3 of dreams .

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Yep he has gotten a good amount going for him in 20 chapters .
    Along with what you said you have his connection to Ace, him looking strong , does comedy bits ,even his meeting with luffy was fun .
    All that left is to flesh him out but it is not uncommon for people to like a character before we see that since it happens often lol .
    Doesn’t help that after all that happened, including almost transforming, that Yamato basically sat around with Momo and Shinobu for like 20 chapters, even if the discussion of the Will of D. was interesting. Hopefully the next few chapter finally get a move on on Yamato’s interactions with the other Straw Hat and allies, as well as exploring more of Yamato’s relationship with Kaido.
    Last edited by electricmastro; May 9th, 2021 at 02:56 PM.

Got to love how the scabbards gradually but quickly stop giving a fuck about Momo and just go on doing whatever else come to their attention along the way.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiere View Post
    Got to love how the scabbards gradually but quickly stop giving a fuck about Momo and just go on doing whatever else come to their attention along the way.
    Every little bit helps

And hey, Shinobu said that they got into contact with Kin so they're going to meet up, unless that was Kanjuro in disguise, in which case they would still meet up

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Pure setup chapter, but a consistently hilarious one at that. I particularly liked Nami trying and failing to get on both Big Mom and Ulti's good side. Also there's something to be said about how Sanji was definitely on a crash course to meeting Yamato only to be immediately steered away by Zoro lol.

Spoiler:

Shinobu said Kin'emon had contacted her. That sounds like another Kanjuro drawing shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Pedro killed himself to stop Perospero who was trying to kill the crew at the time, so it's not wrong to say he's responsible for Pedro's death.

Spoiler:
    Of course, the rest of the Big Mom pirates were trying to kill the crew, and the crew themselves tried to kill his mom....

I feel like people are forgetting the step where Big Mom's toxic habit of using her children (sometimes against their will) for political marriages to gain power started all this. Yes, Judge chose to sacrifice Sanji, but assuming everything very else happened the same with a different person then the end result could be Big Mom betraying them at the end and killing a family. While Luffy did enter an assassination plot, he is not the aggressor here and don't pretend that Big Mom could be reasoned with. Zou and the Strawhats were only acting out of self defense.

So, on that note...fuck Perospero. Yeah, Pedro killed himself trying to kill him, but Perospero was trying to kill Brook and Chopper while laughing before that. I'm sorry, as this isn't directly all at you, but seeing so many people defend Perospero this week has been frustrating. People are taking that one scene out of context while forgetting everything else that happened around it.

I thought it all started because Luffy challenged BM to take FI from her. That and ate her protection candy

Quote Originally Posted by onemoment View Post
    I'm sorry, as this isn't directly all at you, but seeing so many people defend Perospero this week has been frustrating.
    lmao It's fine. I just find the revenge focus on Perospero funny since all the Big Mom pirates at the time were trying to kill them.

Wow, this was an incredible chapter! Both action packed and information dense!

The Scabbards Split Up

There were quite a few interesting plot points in the opening scene as the remaining scabbards split up to assist in battles throughout the castle. The first thing I thought was notable was Denjro’s absence. Unlike Raizo, Ashura Doji, and Inuarushi, we didn’t see him remain behind. Denjiro spent years undercover in the flower capitol which makes me wonder if his absence here is connected to Orochi. It’s very likely Orochi is still alive and having spent so much time around Orochi, I wonder if Denjiro is aware of the way Orochi’s Devil Fruit ability work. It seems plausible Denjiro has gone off to find and confront Orochi.

On that topic, I was surprised that we’re going to see Kiku vs. Kanjuro round 2. I was honestly expecting Kinemon to be the one to fight Kanjuro as our primary point of view character among the scabbards, but I think Kiku also makes sense here considering their previous duel at the rear entrance to Onigashima. Similarly, I wasn’t expecting the setup for Nekomamushi to avenge Pedro against Perospero, though I suppose it’s fitting - Inuarushi fights a member of the Beast Pirates and Nekomamushi a member of Bit Mom’s crew. It may seem Nekomamushi is stealing Carrot’s thunder here, but I actually think this is quite interesting. That Nekomamushi is stepping in to fight Perospero likely means Carrot won’t get back up to face Peros in round 2 on Wano. Yet her character arc remains incomplete. She needs to honor Pedro’s will – ‘Keep moving forward.’ She can’t retreat back to Zou, else she’s playing right into Perospero’s hands. Pedro told her the Straw Hats will bring the New Dawn and I believe understanding that prophecy will require a voyag to the end of the Grand Line.

I thought the brief conversation between Kawamatsu and Izo regarding the opening of Wano’s borders and what it means for the future of Wano was really interesting. Though they decide to table the conversation, I do think the opening of Wano’s borders will have global ramifications. I think this is likely something we’ll see come up as a major narrative in the final act of Wano with the Marines arriving, like Admiral Perry for the opening of Japan’s borders. Perhaps Admiral Ryokugyu will even be a direct analogue.

Yamato & Momo - 'In a one-on-one fight, always bet on Kaido'

It seems clear in this week’s chapter that Momo is aware of the status of the rooftop battle thanks to the Voice of All Things. He tells Yamato that it’s down to two – Luffy and Kaido. I think the implication of this scene is really interesting – as soon as Yamato hears it’s a one-on-one fight, she hightails it to the roof. This gives the impression Yamato knows something here the reader doesn’t – and it’s very interesting Yamato lingers on the phrase ‘one-on-one’; This seemingly refers back to Kaido’s introduction; In a one-on-one fight, always bet on Kaido. This ties into a theory I have posted in the past regarding Kaido’s inability to be killed. I believe that as an Eastern style Dragon, Kaido’s Devil Fruit affords him incredibly good fortune. The Beast Pirates and the upper echelon of the subsidiary Donquixote Family have names themed after card games, or in other words, games of chance. Gambling has been a recurring motif throughout this entire story saga. And now, I think we have a very good idea of how this ability or power might work. Though subtle, Yamato’s words here indicate that this good luck or good fortune factor kicks in when Kaido engages someone in one-on-one combat. We see evidence for this in chapter 970 – pure, dumb luck saves Kaido from what would have been certain death at the hands of Kozuki Oden. Even when overpowered, Kaido comes out on top. In a one-on-one fight, always bet on Kaido.

Despite Luffy’s progress and new mastery of Conqueror’s Haki I have felt he was not yet desperate enough for this to be the final phase of his battle against Kaido. Yamato’s words here are foreboding and signal Luffy’s parity with Kaido may be short-lived. Momo says Luffy’s strength is slowly draining and so I do still believe Luffy will need an extra edge to defeat Kaido. If the above theory is correct, both the good fortune factor and the one-on-one activation, then Luffy will need allies to fight by his side. But didn’t that scene already unfold with Zoro, Law, Kid, and Killer? I suppose Yamato could fight by Luffy’s side, but it still doesn’t seem like enough.

I have two ideas on how Luffy may achieve victory. If Kaido’s Devil Fruit is responsible for his inability to be killed, then perhaps Momo’s artificial Devil Fruit, made from Kaido’s, imbues Momo with the same good fortune, and thus Wano’s future shogun may be the key to ending Kaido’s winning streak. Moreover, we must consider Toki’s prophecy of ‘Nine Shadows’. This could mean nine individuals fighting by Luffy’s side, but it’s hard to imagine the scattered allies returning to fight by Luffy’s side. Zoro’s out of commission. Law and Kid are likely to soon be busy with Big Mom. And so I am still partial to the idea that the literal Nine Shadows of the Nine Scabbards will be imbued into Luffy in accordance with this prophecy. Oda reminded us of Moria recently during the intermission between Acts 1 and 2 and again in Oden’s flashback. I could easily envision Teach recruiting Moria with the promise he help Moria get revenge on Kaido. It’s an alliance built on mutual self-interest. Moria gets his revenge and Teach perhaps picks up some powerful Devil Fruit. I don’t imagine Blackbeard himself will arrive on Wano, but perhaps Moria and a few of his Titanic Captains. Admittedly, a lot still needs to happen for this theory to pan out.

Sanji & Zoro

I loved the Zoro and Sanji scenes in this chapter. Sanji’s respect for Zoro having faced Big Mom and Kaido was admirable – and I always enjoy their rivalry. Zoro’s injuries seem pretty grievous and while Zoro has proven himself to be incredibly resilient in the past, I do think he could be sitting on the sidelines for the duration of the Raid. Chopper could work his magic or perhaps Marco could use some restorative flames, but I think there’s a limit to what either of them can accomplish. Marco wasn’t able to heal major injuries Whitebeard and Jozu sustained on Marineford for example. I could easily be wrong, but I think Zoro has already proven his strength in this arc by standing with Luffy, Law, Kid, and Killer against Big Mom and Kaido. Zoro has also consistently gotten big fights throughout the New World where other Straw Hats haven’t. I think, given what Zoro has already done on Onigashima, it’s okay if he doesn’t fight someone like King or Queen and instead leaves room for other members of the crew to shine.

Nami & Big Mom

I really love what Oda has been doing with Big Mom. I think it’s perfectly in character and proves just how interesting and dynamic Big Mom has been ever since her introduction. Definitely one of the most interesting and best written New World villains. Her role in Wano has been unpredictable in the best way. What an amazing moment for Nami here (honestly, just a great week all around for Nami after coming in third in the WT100 poll). I loved her trying unsuccessfully to pit Big Mom and Ulti against each-other. Hurting Otama is unforgivable, so I love that Nami is ready for a fight. There was of course foreshadowing she would need Zeus to deliver enough voltage and I think perhaps Big Mom could willingly hand him over if Nami earns her respect for protecting Tama. It would fit with Lola’s promise that her mother would someday help Nami and I do think there’s potential, down the road, for Big Mom to have a redemption arc of sorts. Either way, I think Law and Kid will divert Big Mom’s attention from Ulti, leaving Nami to face her one-on-one. Usopp wanted to run away… even when Tama was in danger. So I’m not sure he’ll be much help here.

Oda has been setting up lots of really interesting one-on-one fights, so I hope he dedicates some actual panel time to each of them. Still so many moving pieces on Wano and I’m amazed that the story is still so engaging even after it surpassed Dressrosa in chapter count a few weeks ago. Can’t wait to see what happens next!

Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Here comes our favorite kind of chapter: the running around™!!

Honestly this part is the one I disliked the most in the post-timeskip era. Chapters where ppl just... running around... like, I know that there are many characters with their own goals, but did we really need to see them run around? Could we just, see them already in a different place so we can move the plot along?

Just for that I kinda feel that this is an underwhelming chapter after Golden Week break.

Anyway, on to the chapter itself.

Poor Peros, dude's just doing his job protecting BM's territory when Pedro exploded on him and now he's being hunted by Pedro's comrade that thought he killed Pedro! Wtf? Pedro killed himself you know? And if you think that Peros is responsible for Pedro's suicide then Peros already paid that with his arm!

Oh yeah, and Neko will stole the fight from Carrot too lmao.

Yamato will finally head to the rooftop... a tag time with Luffy, it will be huge!

Sanji, wtf man, you doesn't have any right to argue against carrying Zoro like that! Zoro already done his part in the rooftop, the least you can do as a gopher is bring him somewhere else to rest... and finally Sanji will have his moment by helping on the performance floor (thanks to Zoro's suggestion).

Lastly, Ulti slapping Tama should've earned her a two-page spread like Usopp KO'ing Sugar back then. She defeated someone that brainwashed her comrade! Too bad she will be pwned by both Nami and BM next... you've done great, Ulti!
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I thought it all started because Luffy challenged BM to take FI from her. That and ate her protection candy
    Well you can say it all started with Hody since thanks to him the candy factor get destroy and they gave luffy the rest of the candy .
    Then BM wanted to destroy the island and luffy give her money and decided to take her wrath instead of it being on FI.
    TLG , FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 2015 the E3 of dreams .

Discovered Stowaway hideoushorrendous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcotty View Post
    You're not alone who feels this way

Yamato is an annoying addition to onigashima that nobody asked for

I hope she doesn't sail/join with the crew ( or carrot ) because the cringe will be eternal .

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information