+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Holding the Pen: a "What If?" thread

Default Re: Holding the Pen: a "What If?" thread

Ooh, i'm going to have some fun here.

Power mechanics
    - I would have made haki only available to non-df users. Have Zoro, Sanji and Usopp specialize in Conqueror, armament and observation respectively, so that Luffy (who in turn got basic awakening as early as during the timeskip, which he spent not with rayleigh but on another ex-roger pirate who knows his way with paramecias) has to rely on them for truly complex battles.

- Split OP Devil Fruit powers (i. e. Sugar) in two or more different users who have to work in concert.

- also Doflamingo can't make walking, talking string clones, that was stupid.

Charachters

-No Sabo. Not now, not ever. Ace's tattoo remains a funny misspell, his and Luffy's relationship stays unique and special, no bullshit 10-year long amnesia that is resolved by a newspaper (but not by yeas of wanted posters apparently), Ace's fruit is still out there or anyway not in possesion of his blonde clone.

- Doflamingo isn't an idiot who goes out of his way so that Luffy can muster all the powerfull allies he needs to topple him.
    Also he can't make string clones of himself, that was stupid.

- Luffy doesn't become Goku after the timeskip.

- Law appears after PH and is an ally for taking down Doflamingo, who the Strawhats are already pursuing for their own reasons (more on that later), then he goes his way.

- Post-ts Usopp is MacGyver, not Poison Ivy.

Overall story

- The world government needs to be a way more overtly oppressing and villanous entity, same witht the marines.

- No Im.

- No prophecies

- Let the strawhats be way more proactive in their journey in the new world. The last completely autonomous decision they took was following the roughest route on the pose. Since then they've been railroaded by Law, Bege, Kin'emon, and always had the flimsiest grudge and personal motive against the big bad.
    Last edited by Alfiere; May 7th, 2021 at 07:28 AM.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    The problem is...who's Doflamingo's right-hand guy?

Because that's pretty much what Vergo was. And if Law was able to defeat Vergo, there's no reason to believe Luffy would struggle with someone of the same rank.

It's a bit tough to split Green Bit on its own since it didn't look like it would have enough content for every Straw Hat.
    Either a new character shows up as his right hand since Vergo literally spent all his time undercover as a marine or do like that other poster suggested and elevate Viola as a bigger threat thinking the SHs wont be able to liberate her country until she's defeated and then helps them take down Doflamingo in the next arc.

As for stuff the other SHs get to do, the arc doesn't need to be that long. Just one general story, maybe more misunderstandings and a fight with the dwarves. The arc shouldnt be any longer than Zou.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Either a new character shows up as his right hand since Vergo literally spent all his time undercover as a marine or do like that other poster suggested and elevate Viola as a bigger threat thinking the SHs wont be able to liberate her country until she's defeated and then helps them take down Doflamingo in the next arc.

As for stuff the other SHs get to do, the arc doesn't need to be that long. Just one general story, maybe more misunderstandings and a fight with the dwarves. The arc shouldnt be any longer than Zou.
    The thing is that Law outright calls Vergo Doflamingo's right-hand man at Punk Hazard.

I'm not exactly sure when Oda decided to make Dressrosa one big arc, but at least this detail was established midway through PH. I do know that Oda still hadn't finalized Dressrosa's look back in Chapter 682, since it looked different.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    The thing is that Law outright calls Vergo Doflamingo's right-hand man at Punk Hazard.

I'm not exactly sure when Oda decided to make Dressrosa one big arc, but at least this detail was established midway through PH. I do know that Oda still hadn't finalized Dressrosa's look back in Chapter 682, since it looked different.
    I'm aware of that but to me it's just weird that your right hand man has spent over a decade undercover in the Marines and the only contact with your captain being over the phone or the rare occasions after Doffy became a warlord.

You'd think Doffy would have someone else close to him given Vergo's long term away mission. If not his right hand for the Greenbit arc them his 2nd mate.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

I'm aware of that but to me it's just weird that your right hand man has spent over a decade undercover in the Marines and the only contact with your captain being over the phone or the rare occasions after Doffy became a warlord.

You'd think Doffy would have someone else close to him given Vergo's long term away mission. If not his right hand for the Greenbit arc them his 2nd mate.
    Well, he had to give this job to a guy he totally trusts in, otherwise it is a great opportunity to get betrayed.
    After all the guy who is on such a mission could have a change of hearth or be in a position, where he has to rat out his crew to save himself after being exposed.
    Knowing DoFlamingo having a hard time trusting people, it definitely was a job he could only give to his most loyal guy.
    So that leaves more or less just Pica and Trebol, who could have also done it, but i doubt they´re rly undercover experts in any sense^^
    They can´t fly under the radar even when their life depend on it :)
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFWind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

Cool thread, thanks for starting it. So, what to change ?

Pre-Timeskip
    I will restrain from touching pre-timeskip. For one it's been years since I gave a thorough read to any of that, but also I was probably not as mature a reader back then. Either way I can't think of too many things I would change in the first half of One Piece; I'm sure there would be some if I went on a re-read, but thats a story for another day.

Fishman Island
    Don't let the New Fishman Pirates (that was their name, right ?) be ridiculed by the powered-up Straw Hats. Give weight to their story by making them a serious threat. Someone else pointed this already, return to Sabaody was more than enough in terms of showing off. Also, the steroid pills. Back then it did seem like a frightening prospect to power-up the already-potent fishmen, but in retrospect the fact that they needed such a crutch to weigh anything in the New World really makes them a joke. Same goes for the royal family who couldn't contain this handful of criminal elements.
    Plus, remove Van Der Decken altogether. His weird obsession with Shiraoshi doesn't bring much to the story. The Ark could still have become a stake if Hody and his gang had manipulated it themselves. This, now, would have earned them some street credit.

Punk Hazard
    I really wouldn't change much in Punk Hazard. Maybe remove the silly Yeti Cool brothers. One absolute though : Make. The. Gas. Damage. Leathal. I remember feeling genuine tension during the arc when those who couldn't outrun the cloud were turned into Pompei statues , but it only led to bitter disappointment when it was revealed that "hey, there was an antidote all along so no biggie".

Dressrosa
    Don't get me started, the difficult part with this one is to find what I would keep untouched. 4 things I would absolutely change in Dressrosa :
    - Rebecca is maybe the biggest wasted potential of all characters in the New World so far. She starts off as a seasoned warrior, has better CoO than anyone we've seen at that time, is fast enough to keep up with freakin' Hakuba; she has ample reason to fight the Donquixote family... If anything she could have become one hell of an ally for the Straw Hats. In fact at that time I was convinced she was Nakama material and when we learned that she was Kyros' daughter on top I was thrilled. But no, complete turnaround in act 2, she was all along this big helpless baby would should be protected at all costs from becoming an independant woman. What a character arc. What to change ? Just go all the way, give her the Mera-mera and forget about bloody stupid Sabo. Don't let daddy Kyros smother her, instead let her play a part in defeating the Donquixote Family, why not even kill Diamante or stop short of doing so because she doesn't have to shoulder murder. Afterwards she can be a part of the Fleet, become queen, or decide to join the revolutionaries once she finds out Doflamingo has ruled over Dressrosa with the muted approval of the World Goverment, I don't care. She just shouldn't be allowed to go to waste the way it happened.
    - Don't bring in Sabo at all. Let him stay the dead childhood friend he should always have been. Someone else can hold off Fujitora and Burgess, maybe they can hold each other off in fact. Sabo's part in the story has irked me ever since his resurrection and his only cool moment, destroying the Colosseum, could have been achieved with equal satisfaction by anone else. Bonus points if that had been done by Rebecca or anyone who had suffered from Doflamingo's rule as a gladiator of that very place.
    - Let Kyros behead Doflamingo for real. That chapter was among the strongest moments of the arc, it could have been a gutsy move and a welcome reminder that New World dwellers aren't to be trifled with. Kyros was once the legendary hero of the Colosseum and Sugar's powers let the whole world forget how dangerous exactly he was ? Good, let Doflamingo pay for that mistake. No silly string clones, no birdcage, no manhunt, no running around, no shuffling the battle cards. The now-headless Donquixote pirates fight fiercely but are eventually disposed of, their fights can remain unchanged. Kyros himself can become the main antagonist, after all enough has happened in his lifetime to justify that he would hate all pirates indistinctly. Maybe even the end battle is about subduing him withoug dealing any severe damage, because at heart he is still Dressrosa's hero defending his people and the Straw Hats respect that. Or Burgess can become the main antagonist. Just don't let Doflamingo survive the initial encounter with Kyros, most things he did that made me disappointed in him as an antagonist happened past that point.
    - Don't turn Viola so easily. In fact, maybe don't bring her at all in the story - there were too many Doldos anyway. But at the very least, her trust in the Straw Hats should have been much more difficult to earn.

- Last but not least, whoever Luffy would have fought in the end, do away with the haki recharge countdown or handle it differently - Captain M suggested an alternative that involves the healing fruit and this could have worked very well.

Zou

I seriously can't think of anything I would want to change in Zou. Maybe, just maybe, a longer adventure/discovery sequence because the secret civilization on the back of an elephant had that Skypiea/Shandora appeal and we didn't spend enough time there to enjoy it properly.

Whole Cake Island
    Uuuuuuh so much to change as well. If I try to make it short :
    - Don't resolve the exploding bracelets so easily. That Reiju willingly gave the key so soon made a joke of what was otherwise a great lever for tension.
    - Related, don't shrugg off the threat on Zeff's head as if it never happened. Or, make it clear right from the start that the Vinsmokes are the ones enforcing that threat and the arc made them lose any reason to keep at it.
    - Far too many convenient plot devices falling in place to help the Straw Hats in their time of need. I'm not going to try and list them all, but the middle part of the arc felt like Big Mom and her crew went from formidable threat to OK foe in no time and for no specific reason.
    - The bloody stupid wedding cake. I'm okay with everything that happened with it up to the point where Big Mom ate Sanji's cake and just...Came back to herself and resumed the chase ? Seriously ? Could that not at least have had the tiniest impact ? Maybe she passes out from the bliss, maybe she's too busy eating, maybe that was her best meal in ages and it puts her in a forgiving mood... Maybe she wants Sanji to stay alive so that she can steal him for herself later on. One way or the other, I would have wanted the cake to amount to something that helps the Straw Hats escape. It might even have avoided a few stupid cliffhangers such as the faked destruction of the Sunny or Jinbe and the Vinsmokes staying behind to buy time (to this day we still don't know if and how they made it out alive with a fully-charged Big Mom on their heels, which is kinda frustrating as well).

Reverie
    - No Imu. Even without Imu sitting on the giant throne, the World Nobles are living proof that equality among the world kings is a facade, so what do we need Imu for ? I could have become gradually okay with a mastermind behind the mastermind if the World Government was doing anything more than being its vaguely oppressive self, but at the moment it is mostly incarnated by World Nobles who are a parody of a character on every possible aspect and by the very passive Cipher Pol. Imu and the giant straw hat look like one of those cryptic clues Oda likes to drop every once in a while and never mention again over the next decade, so I'm not expecting much from them as far as interestingly built up antagonists go. The only possible interest I could see in Imu is if they are related to Shanks ; at least it might explain why he gets a free pass in Mariegeoise, and maybe young Shanks found tragedy in hearing the world's true story because it impacted him on a personal level. But I digress, that's silly theories thread material.
    - Don't cut short the revos' intervention. I wouldn't have wanted to see a full battle and I know we will learn what happened eventually. But after 2 years of Wano, I can't say I feel much tension from, or interest in, whatever happened to Sabo and Vivi. Just show it to us and let speculation run wild as to how they will escape their predicament. Right now it feels only like a giant cliffhanger, and not even the interesting sort.

Wano
    There are a few things I would change in Wano, but the arc still isn't done. What's sure is I'm not currently as frustrated with it as I've been with Dressrosa or WCI, though that could come soon enough
    One thing : don't bring in Marco, or at least not like this. I would have been okay if he had just said "I will come asap but I need to get stuff done first" or something of that effect. However his apparent refusal to join and subsequent turnaround feel completely silly now.
    Last edited by Seafarer33; May 7th, 2021 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post

Dressrosa
    - Let Kyros behead Doflamingo for real. That chapter was among the strongest moments of the arc, it could have been a gutsy move and a welcome reminder that New World dwellers aren't to be trifled with. Kyros was once the legendary hero of the Colosseum and Sugar's powers let the whole world forget how dangerous exactly he was ? Good, let Doflamingo pay for that mistake. No silly string clones, no birdcage, no manhunt, no running around, no shuffling the battle cards. The now-headless Donquixote pirates fight fiercely but are eventually disposed of, their fights can remain unchanged. Kyros himself can become the main antagonist, after all enough has happened in his lifetime to justify that he would hate all pirates indistinctly. Maybe even the end battle is about subduing him withoug dealing any severe damage, because at heart he is still Dressrosa's hero defending his people and the Straw Hats respect that. Or Burgess can become the main antagonist. Just don't let Doflamingo survive the initial encounter with Kyros, most things he did that made me disappointed in him as an antagonist happened past that point.
    LOL. Wow.

Let Kyros not only kill Doffy. No fight with Luffy or anything? That'd be so bad. Would ruin the arc and Doffy as a villain that's been anticipated and built up for so long.
    Last.fm

Let Kyros not only kill Doffy. No fight with Luffy or anything? That'd be so bad. Would ruin the arc and Doffy as a villain that's been anticipated and built up for so long.
    Well, so sue me. I enjoyed the flashback, both Law's and Doflamingo's parts, and there were a few good moments in Luffy vs Doffy (gear 4th and the Law save, mostly). But on the whole, Dressrosa as an arc overstayed its welcome by a mile and some more as far as I'm concerned; so yes, that's how willing I would be to make it shorter. There could be an early Luffy-Doffy clash because that's pretty much obligatory, but I wouldn't lose sleep over most stuff that happened after the Birdcage. Yes, Doflamingo had been built up for so long; yet I didn't feel a need for Luffy to fight him personally. Anyway that's my subjective experience, I'm not asking anyone to like it.

A little thing that I'm definitely not the first to suggest, but I'd love to have seen more little bits of foreshadowing for things like the Supernovas. A throwaway line every hundred chapters when one of them shows up in the papers, or a wanted poster in the background would have been great. Really build them up and get the anticipation going for when we learn they're all reaching Sabaody around the same time.

And, inspired by the sexism thread, I'd like to see more persistent scars. Nami's vanishing one is the obvious example, but Luffy and Robin should probably each have something from Crocodile's hook, Usopp's nose could maybe develop a permanent kink from being broken too often. And Zoro? Just put a scar wherever on his body you think it'd be most aesthetically appropriate and you'll be able to retroactively find a battle that justifies it. Not every hit has to leave a forever mark, but just enough of them to make the big fights feel a little more consequential.

Finally, Pell should be shown throwing the bomb up in the last moment before it explodes. I won't wade into the debate about whether he should have survived at all, but since Oda committed to that course, the smallest visual justification for how it could have happened would go a long way.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    I'm not gonna lie. Marco in Wano to me feels like there was going to be a whole WB arc with Jozu, Vista etc relating to Weevil that was supposed to happen.
    I have the same feeling, but I still think it's going to happen. Weevil and Whitebeard's island may be the next cooldown arc, or this meeting could happen during a visit to Ace's grave. Maybe when the Strawhats' and Blackbeard's collision is inevitable, Marco and some partners will share what they know about Teach (what's up with his strange body, what they learned from their defeat in the Grudge War)...I feel like there's still room for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiere View Post
    - Split OP Devil Fruit powers (i. e. Sugar) in two or more different users who have to work in concert.
    While reading Dressrosa I was often thinking what I would have done with Sugar's fruit. The ability to turn people into toys plays so well with Doffy's theme, and makes Dressrosa a super unique, fun place, so I'm inclined to keep it. The ability to make everyone forget about them...I feel like it should have been a second DF. Which would bring one extra Donquixote Member to deal with, and things could get complex. Siamese twins wouldn't be the answer as well. Maybe explain better how Sugar's contract operates? I think Oda could have played with the idea of children behaving like little kings when making up games, so Sugar could have to say something in the lines of "I'm the toy owner!" and choose what they would play instead of making a contract. It could be easier to trick her into playing a game that effectively puts her in a disadvantage, and she spoils the Whole Game, turning the toys back into people. I think this would make it easier to accept her defeat, instead of her passing out and that's it. After the struggle to revert Moriah's fruit, the way Oda handled Sugar left me with a sour taste.
    -No Sabo. (...) Ace's tattoo remains a funny misspell
    Non flashback Sabo is barely a character, and Oda putting him in danger during the Reverie is dangerously close to what we had with Ace. So close that it affects the fun of it. I too dislike him immensely. The tattoo's misspell is such a great idea that it alone helped me buy Ace as a cool character.

- Post-ts Usopp is MacGyver, not Poison Ivy.
    Yeah, Oda's greatest mistake here is that Usopp's arsenal used to be limited by daily material. Eggs, pepper, rubber band, nails, hammer, fake cockroaches. It doesn't matter how ridiculous it gets (fake 5 ton hammer, lol) it had a "ceiling" that Oda wouldn't get pass. When he did, he used an item introduced during the story's course, so it was well accepted and had it's uses well defined (dials). Green pops just throw it all out. If he had used FI and PH arcs as a way to show off which plants he had, and Dressrosa, Zou and Wano arcs to make creative use of them, it would have been fine. He could improve his arsenal during his jorney, "catching" crazy plants in future arcs and making good use of them.

- Let the strawhats be way more proactive in their journey in the new world. The last completely autonomous decision they took was following the roughest route on the pose. Since then they've been railroaded by Law, Bege, Kin'emon, and always had the flimsiest grudge and personal motive against the big bad.
    This is a really insteresting perspective, but hasn't it always been like that in One Piece? Vivi was the one who decided which of the 07 routs to go after Twin Cape. Montblanc's search was a heavy weight in Luffy's decision to reach Sky Island. Cammie and Hatchan lead to Saboady, etc.

- Don't resolve the exploding bracelets so easily (...) Related, don't shrugg off the threat on Zeff's head
    I totally agree with you on this one! I think the flashback could have come first, so that we had stablished Reiju's importance in Sanji's life, and from there we see Sanji using what he had learned from his new family (SH) to deal with the situation and convince Reiju to help him once more. Your solution to Zeff's threat is perfect, imo.

- The bloody stupid wedding cake
    I completely agree that Big Mom should not have returned to the battle. Linlin growing sleepier after eating the whole cake, and singing herslef to sleep with a macabre lullaby would play right into the fairy tale tone of the arc and would be a great recall of her ENTER scene. Also, without BM there to deal with the rebelion, Germa's and the Sun Pirates' scape without larger casualities (that we know off until now) becomes more easily accepted.

- Don't cut short the revos' intervention. Just show it to us and let speculation run wild as to how they will escape their predicament. Right now it feels only like a giant cliffhanger, and not even the interesting sort.
    Once more, we do agree on this. Oda must see a doctor to get rid of his silhouettosis and accute off-screenism. It would have been great to rise the tension if we had a more open clue about what's about to happen to Sabo and Vivi; much like what he did to the Shichibukai and the Navy's chase. And showing Green Bull would already make the Reverie more memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I'd love to have seen more little bits of foreshadowing for things like the Supernovas.
    Weirdly, it worked just fine for me! When the Supernovas got introduced I got the feeling that the world is really vast, and even though we are following the protagonists and we catch glances of big moments happening all over the world, there's always something that might escape our sight until they are inevitable. And it's just makes SO much sense in universe that the Grand Line shipping routs have poor communication between itselves (land with completely different levels of progression in the same sea and all). BUT, the way the New Economic Paper works in the New World crashes this feeling completely, so you do have a point.

Finally, Pell should be shown throwing the bomb up in the last moment before it explodes. I won't wade into the debate about whether he should have survived at all, but since Oda committed to that course, the smallest visual justification for how it could have happened would go a long way.
    100% this! Same with the Pagaya situation in Sky Pea, a visual key to speculate that he might have survived facing a El Thor would just make it better. If Oda didn't commit to the Never Dying Rule, Kohza as the new Falcon would have been cool too.

A little thing that I'm definitely not the first to suggest, but I'd love to have seen more little bits of foreshadowing for things like the Supernovas. A throwaway line every hundred chapters when one of them shows up in the papers, or a wanted poster in the background would have been great. Really build them up and get the anticipation going for when we learn they're all reaching Sabaody around the same time.

And, inspired by the sexism thread, I'd like to see more persistent scars. Nami's vanishing one is the obvious example, but Luffy and Robin should probably each have something from Crocodile's hook, Usopp's nose could maybe develop a permanent kink from being broken too often. And Zoro? Just put a scar wherever on his body you think it'd be most aesthetically appropriate and you'll be able to retroactively find a battle that justifies it. Not every hit has to leave a forever mark, but just enough of them to make the big fights feel a little more consequential.

Honestly, I get the feeling only only goes about consistently drawing scars he thinks are cool. He didn’t even leave any scarring on Jinbe from Marineford even though Luffy and Jinbe were both hit by him at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    This is a really insteresting perspective, but hasn't it always been like that in One Piece? Vivi was the one who decided which of the 07 routs to go after Twin Cape. Montblanc's search was a heavy weight in Luffy's decision to reach Sky Island. Cammie and Hatchan lead to Saboady, etc.
    Well, maybe with Vivi I could agree. Making a direct comparison with the Law situation, since he's the new world Vivi, the main difference is that she was a friend the Strawhats took under their protective wing, was a de facto member of he crew and was on par with all of them. Law is the captain of his own crew, had a personal connection only with Luffy prior to then (oh, another point for my list! make the ending of the marineford battle a little less of a farce with the continuos surprise entrances, especially the yellow submarine) and had his own plan already in motion by Punk Hazard, to which our main charachters had to adapt.
    So as a compromise, i can shift the "last autonomous decision" made by the crew further to the moment the alliance with the heart pirates was accepted.
    Then later it's always been others laying the masterplans and the Strawhats at best improvising on their tune. Even in the arc where hey had a personal motivation, getting Sanji back, the ended up following the really, really scummy assasination plan laid by Bege.

I don't really see Montblanc and Camie as "railroaders", as in both cases Luffy and Co had already set their eyes on Sky Island and Fishman Island on their own.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

Wonder how different it would have turned out if Franky had been sent to Impel Down.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Wonder how different it would have turned out if Franky had been sent to Impel Down.

https://i.ibb.co/H2hXYDG/534-A4-E1-A...6-DF110-E5.jpg
    I actually don't think the strawhats would've went there to break him out but given how the story went Luffy would've broke him out looking for Ace and he probably joins then anyway.

Unless wondering if Franky got sent to Impel Down is your way of getting Paulie to join.

Also in that scenario, I assume Iceberg builds a ship for Luffy by himself instead.
    Last.fm

I actually don't think the strawhats would've went there to break him out but given how the story went Luffy would've broke him out looking for Ace and he probably joins then anyway.

Unless wondering if Franky got sent to Impel Down is your way of getting Paulie to join.

Also in that scenario, I assume Iceberg builds a ship for Luffy by himself instead.
    Yeah, Luffy probably didn’t start liking Franky until he knew Robin had been kept safe partially thanks to him after he entrusted her safety to him. If it had happened to Franky had been sent in a direction different from Robin’s alternatively got sent to Impel Down right away, then I surmise Luffy would have gotten a new ship without Franky’s assistance and have experienced the events of Thriller Bark and Sabaody without him. It would only be then that he possibly reunites with Franky at Impel Down, probably having a few comedic scenes of him dancing alongside Bentham and Ivankov, and would have formed a closer bond with him that way. It would also be interesting if Franky had ended up at Marineford that way and would have seen him fight alongside Jinbe in defending Luffy, and would have all escaped together in Law’s submarine. Amusingly, Franky’s imagery would still be present when Luffy was remembering his crew, except that Franky would be outside of Luffy’s imagination and next to Jinbe instead.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    Sorry I didn't go back to check who had the idea! And I'm eager to know more about your Dressrosa arc. The new islands would be ones already introduced but never developed (like the ones the supernovas went before the TS)?
    Sorry for late reply! And no worries, I don't keep track of who's said what either.

Regarding Dressrosa, I thought about it for quite a while. The difficulty lies in separating Green Bit and Dressrosa, as there's so many plot elements that are hard to re-arrange. But I'll give it a go starting form Punk Hazard.

1. Make Punk Hazard an arc focusing on Chopper (medicine stuff) and Smoker (marines). The arc itself it pretty good as it is, but I'd like more focus on those two characters specifically.
    2. Have a short single-volume arc that's all about winding down and focusing on character interactions, like the foxy arc. Could be an island Big Mom raids later for her cake.
    3. Green Bit. You got the Dwarves, Viola being the co-villain with one of the executives who lord over the island, along with some family members. Her goal is to find out the Strawhat's plan, but realizing they're strong enough to beat the executive makes her believe their plan can actually work. She decides to keep it secret from Doflamingo.
    4. Dressrosa. Cut down the gladiators, remove Riku and Kyros and put all the time into developing Rebecca, Viola and Law and maybe even Bellamy as the co-protagonists of this arc (and have them actually interact). Instead of being a toy maker Sugar has a fruit that forces gladiators to keep fighting. Doflamingo hopes to catch the strawhats in the Coliseum and cut them down in public for all to laugh at, but doesn't know about the factory plan. Viola betrays him, Sugar is taken out leading to the chaos and Doffy is overthrown.

The biggest question marks here is where Luffy finds all his Grand Fleet Members (while you could cut down the gladiators to just those members, it would feel off if everyone Luffy fights turns to his side) and what the heck happens with the plan of exchanging Caesar. I still feel like it's way too many moving plots, but just cutting our some of the royalty and re-routing their development to Law, Viola and Rebecca would do a ton. And rather than several separate plots, try to weave them together so the arc feels more coherent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Instead of being a toy maker Sugar has a fruit that forces gladiators to keep fighting.
    Oh man, I love the toys thing in Dressrosa.

Even though Sugar's power itself has issues, I think it's worth it because that fantasy-realm feel the toys create reminds me so much of the exploring adventure we had pre-timeskip.

Thinking about it, if Green Bit was indeed a separate island it would probably also create this feeling as we would spend more time focused on understanding the islands mysteries.

Yeah, in my preference to making changes I try to keep all of Oda's creations as they are and not just making up completely new things. Cuz then that's just fanfic.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by GanonBR View Post
    Oh man, I love the toys thing in Dressrosa.

Even though Sugar's power itself has issues, I think it's worth it because that fantasy-realm feel the toys create reminds me so much of the exploring adventure we had pre-timeskip.

Thinking about it, if Green Bit was indeed a separate island it would probably also create this feeling as we would spend more time focused on understanding the islands mysteries.
    That's a very good point. I removed the toys since it seemed like one of the easiest ways to make the arc lighter, but that does remove a big chunk of the charm of Dressrosa.
    I think if they were kept around in the vision I'd proposed, I'd make them something good. So not real people who were transformed, but a creation of the former royalty that was meant to aid their people and bring joy. They could effectively replace the dwarves - or work in tandem with them - as people who Doflamingo enslaved and uses as labourers. Though it would remove the darker twist around the toys that also had its charm, I'd prefer if they stayed around after Doflamingo's fall.

Yeah, in my preference to making changes I try to keep all of Oda's creations as they are and not just making up completely new things. Cuz then that's just fanfic.
    I'm of the opposite opinion. I like taking large blocks of a story and moving them around to see what happens. It's a good creative challenge and really lets you dig deep into the author's story and realize why things are designed the way they are. It makes me appreciate Oda's work a lot more. Plus it's fun to explore alternate venues.
    Ganon's comment made me really happy for example, I lost interest in the toys around Sugar's introduction, but they reminded me how much I loved the initial chapters of Dressrosa and why. Something thought to be a detail that could be cut turns out to be more important than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post

I'm of the opposite opinion. I like taking large blocks of a story and moving them around to see what happens. It's a good creative challenge and really lets you dig deep into the author's story and realize why things are designed the way they are. It makes me appreciate Oda's work a lot more. Plus it's fun to explore alternate venues.
    Ganon's comment made me really happy for example, I lost interest in the toys around Sugar's introduction, but they reminded me how much I loved the initial chapters of Dressrosa and why. Something thought to be a detail that could be cut turns out to be more important than I thought.
    I agree its good practice if you're doing it for that purpose.

For something like this thread though, it's makes more sense to rework things than completely change characters on a fundamental level.

Changing her DF power radically effects the entire story and the immediate conflict. Changing Sugar's power would mean you'd have to really get in to how the story would be different unless you're just defeating her quickly but then it's like might as well remove her altogether. I get not liking her power or checking out of the story a bit but it gets to a point One Piece isn't really One Piece.
    Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information