+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Holding the Pen: a "What If?" thread

Default Re: Holding the Pen: a "What If?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    Kill Law in Dressrosa arc, his whole purpose was to use the strawhats to defeat Doflamingo and avenge his dead brother. After Dressrosa, there was no reason for him to continue in the story.

Law needs to go ASAP.
    Law dying would be a bit contradictory to the lesson Rosinante gave him, and would render the latter's efforts moot.

Law needs to live, or at least do something really noteworthy, if he wants Rosinante's sacrifice to be worth something.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    1. Have Kizaru defeat some of the Supernova in Saboady, keep them out of the story. Other than Bege who imo made the Whole Cake Island better I don't feel like any of the Supernova have improved the arcs they're in. Drake turning in Wano and Apoo being used as target practise made me wonder if Oda just didn't have any ideas for them after the introduction and just stuck them in one arc. We saw a bunch fight Kizaru and fail. Would have been way impressive to see one of the much hyped Admirals take out some bigged up rookies and have it stick. Rather than...like EVERYONE get away. Personally I'd have removed a handful at this point.
    It seems more like Oda had different plans to a few Supernova, but stuff had to be changed around, making a few of them artifacts from an original concept. For example, Hawkins was originally going to be a Warlord, but in the end, that role ended up going to Law.

Plus, certain plotlines that were strangely abandoned, like what the hell was that thing that sucked up Bege? And what happened to the granny that gave Urouge the umbrella?
    Drake turning out to be a Marine, however, had enough foreshadowing behind it, like Kizaru slipping "Rear Admiral Drake" only to correct himself.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Law dying would be a bit contradictory to the lesson Rosinante gave him, and would render the latter's efforts moot.

Law needs to live if he wants Rosinante's sacrifice to be worth something.
    I was half joking about Law. His constant involvement in the story is the symptom of a much bigger issue in One Piece post Time skip.

Ever since the new world, the story focus has greatly shifted from the Strawhats to "allies and side characters", Oda spends so much time to create and involve those side characters nowadays that the Strawhats barely get time to shine.

We have spent half the new world with the crew separated, either in Dressrosa, zou or whole cake arc, until we reached a point were we cannot even have the Strawhats featured in the final war against Kaidou because there are so many characters hogging screen space.

So yeah if there is one thing I would change, is to shift the story focus back to the Strawhats, it used to be a story about their adventure, but that's not the focus anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    I was half joking about Law. His constant involvement in the story is the symptom of a much bigger issue in One Piece post Time skip.

Ever since the new world, the story focus has greatly shifted from the Strawhats to "allies and side characters", Oda spends so much time to create and involve those side characters nowadays that the Strawhats barely get time to shine.

We have spent half the new world with the crew separated, either in Dressrosa, zou or whole cake arc, until we reached a point were we cannot even have the Strawhats featured in the final war against Kaidou because there are so many characters hogging screen space.

So yeah if there is one thing I would change, is to shift the story focus back to the Strawhats, it used to be a story about their adventure, but that's not the focus anymore.
    I personally blame the SH separation for that. It showed One Piece could live with only Luffy.

Plus, considering how little development the Straw Hats got even in the arcs they were present, I'm not sure Oda was much interested in focusing only on the Straw Hats. Sanji was the only one who got significant new development post-timeskip. Whereas others were just retreading old ground (especially Usopp).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post

I dont.
    Huh. Guess i haven't harped on as much as i thought about Imu.

Also i would just let people stay dead. I would be so happy if i could cut out that annoying Oda habit of having big emotional sacrifices like Pell milked for all they are worth and then just going lol jk he's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Easy answer: have Jinbe just join back on Fishman Island and deal with the Big Mom stuff later.
    And that Dressrosa would have had another heartwarming factor to it in the form of Jinbe meeting up with Koala again.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    So I though of bringing up a thread to discuss and expose precisely that: with the gift of handsight, what would you have done differently regarding past arcs and characters development?
    This is a question I'd have to think about and come back to, but for the bolded word, if I remember right Robin made eyes come out of hands when the crew just got to Skypiea.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    This is a question I'd have to think about and come back to, but for the bolded word, if I remember right Robin made eyes come out of hands when the crew just got to Skypiea.
    Yeah, and Oda actually also had the idea to have Robin replicate her face onto other surfaces, but it didn’t work out, so it got scrapped.

Pre timeskips beginning is a bit slow to pick up for me, the first chapter is great sure but Alvida and Morgan arcs weren't tghat great, but once it got to the Buggy arc I thought it got real good and then once we got to Arlong Park Arc it was basically perfection in manga form until post timeskip when they got to Fishman Island

Post Timeskip I'd have less support characters and sub plots and focus more on the straw hats

EDIT: Also since were not even at the end of Wano I'll hide this since I don't know which direction it's going

Hidden:
    I would definitely not have had Big Mom take out Page One

In fact I would make sure all the Straw Hats get there One v One fights against Kaido's crew uninterrupted

but since it's still in motion and Oda still might do that (fingers crossed) I'll leave this hidden.... because it's still to early to tell if Oda has dropped the ball on this
    Last edited by Shiebs; May 6th, 2021 at 06:22 PM.

I'm going to assume the goal here is to improve the story we have without majorly changing it. Because of the amount of continuity and lore at play, things like going to different islands, changing arc orders or which Strawhats go where would quickly snowball into future arcs going in totally different directions. I would want to focus on individual moments and characters that didn't quite hit home and fix them in a way that hopefully shouldn't effect the arcs on either side of the one I'm thinking about too much.

The most obvious change that stands out to me is back in Dressrosa. Rebecca is fairly unpopular as Oda princesses go, and I think a lot of that comes from how completely lacking in utility she is in the final act of her story. All the major princesses are damsels for Luffy to some degree, but the others manage to be big contributors to their own (and their kingdom's own) rescue. Vivi's desperate efforts to stop the civil war and final rush to stop the bomb have us rooting for her. Shirahoshi shows incredible bravery relative to her introduction by putting herself on the line to lead Noah away. And Rebecca... Rebecca keeps ending up standing helplessly before villains she has no chance of putting a dent in, mostly because she chose to confront them anyway. Her last-minute bid to get cut down by Doflamingo doesn't help save the day - if anything it makes Luffy's job harder. It doesn't feel good to see her be a problem instead of a solution. It's a sour note to put in what should be the climax for a major ally.

So Rebecca needs something else to do in the last leg of Dressrosa. My proposal is that she should have the Heal Heal Fruit, not Mansherry. Say she ate it accidentally at a young age or something. Now the pacifist fighting style Kyros taught her feels a little less "girls shouldn't fight" and more like a FMA-style "your hands are for healing, not killing." Then, in the last act, she can team up with the Tontatta to fly around like they did to move from the plateau to the palace, using her observation haki to locate the injured citizens at risk of being cut or crushed by the Birdcage and give them the boost they need. Now she gets to be selflessly risking herself for the sake of others in the most dangerous part of the battle when she crosses paths with Doflamingo. It's tragic when he attacks her because she's out here trying to do the right thing by everyone, she doesn't deserve this.

And maybe in this version Luffy is a little more hurt than he was originally. Doflamingo got a cheap shot in while he was running, waiting for his haki to come back. Luffy has a bloody gut wound and he's struggling to get back up. He promises everyone it'll only take one more attack, but we're wondering if he has one more attack in him. As the strings close around her, Rebecca uses her last instant of free movement to throw a bubble of heal juice over the rubble. We see Doflamingo's fear and anger as it arcs toward Luffy. Maybe he tries to grab it out of the air with a string (or the Viola/Rebecca puppets he has now) by Mansherry swoops in with her Tontatta speed and moves it the rest of the way (because she has to have something to do now that she's minus her healing power). Luffy gets back up, his wound sealed and his haki recovered and the arc finishes as it did before.

It's a small change, but I think it would go a long way to making the arc of one of the most missed-potential characters feel more satisfying and complete.

Also I get why Oda wanted all the Wano scenes to fit inside the title cards for the acts of the story, but the opening half-chapter that introduces the crews' undercover identities and ends with Zoro cutting down the magistrate should have come before the Reverie, filling the same role as the preview we got of Sanji's group on Zou before Dressrosa ended. This would be an especially good choice for a remade/recut anime adaptation that's running seasonally, giving a great bit of hype to end on before the break between seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Pre timeskips beginning is a bit slow to pick up for me, the first chapter is great sure but Alvida and Morgan arcs weren't tghat great, but once it got to the Buggy arc I thought it got real good and then once we got to Arlong Park Arc it was basically perfection in manga form until post timeskip when they got to Fishman Island

Post Timeskip I'd have less support characters and sub plots and focus more on the straw hats

EDIT: Also since were not even at the end of Wano I'll hide this since I don't know which direction it's going

Hidden:
    I would definitely not have had Big Mom take out Page One

In fact I would make sure all the Straw Hats get there One v One fights against Kaido's crew uninterrupted

but since it's still in motion and Oda still might do that (fingers crossed) I'll leave this hidden.... because it's still to early to tell if Oda has dropped the ball on this
    Thing is is that I hesitate to say One Piece as slow as it was in East Blue being a negative since we took time getting to know each character instead of risking underdevelopment with presenting several characters at once. I’m just not sure if it would have worked out as well if Zoro, Nami, Usopp, and Sanji would have all been introduced in Chapter 2 for example. Going slow seems to have paid off too, since Oda now introduces as many characters as he likes without worrying about the main cast being underdeveloped.

What if Luffy's crew was
    Vivi
    Wiper
    Perona
    Hancock
    Shirahoshi
    Monet
    Carrot
    Caesar
    Tama

And Zoro-Jinbe were all a Class 1-B'esque crew run by Sogeking.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

My favorite suggestion so far is introducing or hinting at Sabo sooner in the story. Hell, Oda could have mentioned them as early as the first chapter.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    A squad send by the brokers to test PH defenses and to cover for Yeti Cool Bros' defeat sounds nice. It could give Kinemon a battle to show off his skills and to spark Zoro's interest in samurai swordplay and the Smiley-explosion-slicing moment would just crown it. A bounty hunter trying to take down PK candidates...this would have come from Doffy, right? Kaido would simply beat the hunter into submission, and CC already had his guard. If that happened, I we could push Brownbeard back to the lab and give Chopper some action while trying to get the kids away with Nami and Robin.
    I envision the character or characters to be a sort of mirror reflection of Luffy just gone down the path of bounty hunting. So it'd make sense how persistent the character is constantly showing up (a la Team Rocket) to capture big bounty pirates. If anything the better time for that introduction would've been Mocktown.

This is what I had in mind for Dressrosa and Greenbit:

Honestly, I'd save more time and split it in to two arcs.

Treat Greenbit like Zou and make it its own arc like Oda initially intended but make it an island not far from Dressrosa where you take down Doffy's right hand guy.

It ends but forces the crew to Dressrosa now for the colosseum and lead up to the grand fleet. I would then cut out the majority of the Riku family. Oda likes keeping these royal families intact too much. It makes no sense to me that Dofalmingo would keep the entire Riku family alive as toys or an unwilling mistress/scam artist/assassin. I'd either leave Rebecca and Kyros alive ending with Rebecca as Queen or leave Viola the sole Riku family survivor and alter her story a but in the end she ends up queen.

I'd probably go with Rebecca. Viola really is just an older Vivi with no SH help realizing they're not strong enough to stop Crocodile stuck in the role as a BW agent.

Probably still a bloated cast but the story gets cut down a bit.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Easy answer: have Jinbe just join back on Fishman Island and deal with the Big Mom stuff later.
    The crew needed to "earn" Jinbe in a sense. Law, like Vivi, helped them get familiar with the newer landscape and inner workings in the New World. Dressrosa and Wano would have gone way more smoother than it did with Jinbe (proved so with stopping Luffy from fighting Teach, during Marineford and after). The crew needed that level of turmoil.

I'm glad Oda didn't bring him in until Onigashima. He was needed in WCI arc with it being against a Yonko and only half the crew. Jinbe as an asset is only necessary in these larger conflicts that are extremely difficult. His presence would've defeated the purpose of Law getting acquainted with the crew and attempting to manage them as well.

It's almost like if Ace met the crew at Twin Cape and stayed along for Drum, Little Garden, etc. Vivi's role would be devalued and the crew would've had an easier trip. A lot of the bonds they form is partially due to the randomness that comes from difficulty.

Fishman Island attempted to pull double duty with 2 things that just didn't work well together. Being both a "serious meaningful systematic racism" story, but also a "Fresh off a timeskip showoff" story. I absolutely hate whenever a timeskip is immediately followed by the MCs completely destroying their next villains just to show off how much stronger they are now. I personally believe the strawhats got to show off enough during the "Return to Sabaody" parts and the descent down to FI. Once they arrived, it should've been game on and the villains should've been actual full threat level to match the seriousness of the story FI was trying to tell. I'd probably remove the steroid drug boost aspect altogether too and just make them actually respectfully strong. It just made Fishmen and Mermen feel pretty uninteresting and weak (Jimbei being the sole exception).

Punk Hazard is just little things already mentioned. Do better with the Yeti Cool Brothers, maybe throw in an extra bounty hunter/mook for Ceasar. Actually, is there really any reason Smiley even needs to exist? It kinda feels like it was given a devil fruit just for Oda to tease and showoff "Look, this is what happens when Devil Fruit users die!" Ceaser really could've just made the gas from an old sample kept in one of the lab rooms and let us see the Axolotl fruit in all it's glory given to some real character.

Dressrosa... normal stuff with making Viola's flip more organic. I think remove her devil fruit altogether...or even just before this, give her the Axolotl fruit. Or some "ugly" Zoan that can be spun to be a really good "lie detector" and have Sanji win her over despite her "ugly side." Fix up Ussop's moment of cowardice before facing Sugar and Trebol by making it abundantly clear he ran off cause of Robin getting wiped from his memory. In fact, go the extra mile and have Ussop realize something's off with his memories and give himself enough bravery to return. Other than that... I dislike how Buffalo was taken out by Kyros and stayed out for the rest of the arc (the spinning man had his neck snapped? What?). I also dislike how Ideo was the only Grand Fleet captain to really not get a moment of any sort (even Orlumbus got better than him). Solution? Buffalo recovers, joins the fight, and Ideo gets a short fight with him before he moves on to get taken out by Dellinger.

Nothing much comes to mind for WCI at the moment. Maybe show us a recovering Cracker towards the end of the arc? It's always bugged me a bit that we never got an update on him.

Wano would be a time and a half to go through everything, but for what stands in the front of my mind right now: Have the WCI crew stay together and meet Tama. Have Sanji get grabbed by the octopus if you need an explanation for why he wouldn't get everyone to safety, I don't care, but man do I wish that slog of early Wano had been that whole group staying together. We'd get everyone bonding with Tama right away, finding Zoro together, more reactions towards Hawkins, joining in messing with those early gifters, and then eventually we get to the castle, Kaido shows up and everything ends the same. Another thing, it'll mess with the timing a little bit for things, but I'd move the BM pirate's 2nd attempt into Wano to the end of Act 2 and make it a Jimbei moment instead of a Marco moment. I just could not care less about Marco and that scene's set up is just screaming for it to be Jimbei's glorious return and making jokes of the BM pirates before awkwardly hoping he can make a good first impression once he catches up to the crew. I'd argue I'd write Marco out of this arc completely, but I'm undecided on how I'd rather King and Queen be kept busy yet and there's still plenty of arc to see if Marco becomes a worthwhile addition to this already bloated with characters arc.

I'm not gonna lie. Marco in Wano to me feels like there was going to be a whole WB arc with Jozu, Vista etc relating to Weevil that was supposed to happen. That got cut but because Marco is popular Oda thought he'd slap him into Wano to tie up that loose end.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

Interesting thread. Don't know if I have the strenght on commenting all I see wrong with Marineford and Fishman Island. But I guess I can go a little bit with the little changes I would have done with two other arcs.

Enies Lobby:

1. The reveal of the Eleven Jurors sucked
    I mean I know that they just as the Houbantai weren't meant to be a big obstacle in the first place, which is a disappointment in itself. But I can let the latter slide. However the full reveal of the first juror was him literally laying down on the floor beaten up by Sanji which on top of things happened offscreen. A super unspectacular reveal after building up (minor hype) on them.

What would I have changed?
    I would have changed it in a manner where at least the reveal is something worthy of the wow factor. Having them be OHKOed by Sanji could have remained. Heck, might even served as comic relief. But this honestly felt as if some pages were missing and I mean that quite literally. Back then I really checked again if the chapter was incomplete. It even didn't have 19 pages iirc.

2. Lucchi's lust for blood amounted to nothing
    We had three instances showing that Lucchi is looking forward to fighting respectively killing Luffy. #1 He told Spandam that he enjoys killing which is why he is part of the organization as it makes killing legal. #2 Having an excited smile on his face when he saw that the Strawhats are ready to jump the chasm over to the Judicial Tower (for an uncharismatic bore such as him this is a strong statement). #3 Having a smug smile when he told Spandam that he expects Luffy to follow them through the tunnel as Chimney who he saw most likely reported the tunnel to Luffy. Again he seems to be looking forward to the fight. However in the end there was nothing of him enjoying the fight at all and he went on to preach about dark justice and the safety of the world and blergh. Not really in line with the three moments listed previously.

I would have made him get more excited as the fight goes on. I know that there's already plenty of characters in other manga that like fights. But not all are the same. Let's just look at Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach and Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter. Both enjoy a fight and are yet different with one enjoying the more raw and brutal aspects of it while the other also enjoys the strategic part of a fight. I know that's very rudementary but I'm not here to talk about them. Just want to use an example on how enjoying a fight could be different. For Lucchi specifically I would focused a bit more on the killing/lust for blood part. He is a trained assassin. And from what we've seen his mastery of Rokushiki is far above the other CP9 agents'. I think it would have made sense to have him point out how much he enjoys finaly unleashing techniques that he couldn't use in the past 5 years because even if there was someone to kill at Water Seven on simple Shigan might have done the trick. Kinda like something like "But not you! You can take my attacks. You I can go all out against" or "Don't die on me yet Strawhat Luffy! I still have more deadly techniques I'm eager to show you!" And then as time progresses he could lose his cool to the classic "What else do I need to do to finaly kill you?"
    I think Lucchi's personality would have benefited much from something like this. Plus it would have been some sort of payoff to the little build up previously mentioned. The fight itself is absolutely ok and IMO still perhaps the best one on one fight Luffy had in the entire series as Luffy and Lucchi were just beating the crap out of each other. It's just the dark justice preaching that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Thriller Bark:

1. General Zombies being fodder
    They went down like nothing to Oars. But before that having a huge number of them seemed to already deminish their value compared to the previous chapter where only four of them were revealed. Especially with one being a sharpshooter which happened in the same chapter where Ryuma, the guy from one of Oda's previous one shots has been revealed to be part of the One Piece universe. I know I was not the only one thinking that the sharpshooter was Gil Bastar (protagonists of Oda's very first one shot). But then suddently you have two dozen of them. Instantly understandable that they would not amount to much.

I would have kept it with the four General Zombies and rather have those four show that the can stall the Strawhats a bit by themselves rather than their "sales point" being just armor and numbers. Especially since the sharpshooter and Captain John didn't have any armor (just like the strongest general zombie Ryuma). They don't even have to be on an equal level to the Strawhats but just showing that they are no pushovers would be enough for the Strawhats to focus on them so that the Spidermice and Tararan could do their sneaky stuff. Same result but with of a pushover feeling for the GZs.

2. Robin using clutch moves on zombies
    I must admit that my memory is a bit fuzzy on this but I still have this written down as one of my pet pieves from back in the day so I guess it has happened. Why is this a problem? Well because they are zombies in other word dead flesh that is not moving because of fully operational body functions but because of magic (called DF powers in OP). One of the first things we see zombies in OP do is even having one lose a head and toss it like a ball in a joking manner. So using clutch moves on zombies should be totally pointless. It's ok if it dislocates some joints or even breaks some bones but at no way should it render the zombies immobile. It completely goes against what the zombies are established as within the story itself, creatures that feel no pain or fatigue. Of course if you're bones get pullversized as with what Oars did to the General Zombies or with what Luffy did when he shattered part of Oars spine then it's a different matter as even if they don't feal pain (even though for some reason the GZs were moaning as if in pain) the bones are too broken to make them move. If you literally pullverize the bones, then I can get behind them being immobilized. But that's not what Robin's clutch moves do.

What would I have done different?
    Making this actually a focus point. Have Robin discover that her "speed and strenght mean nothing to me" statement can only take her this far. Saul himself told her that the sea is fast. And while he meant this in context with her at some point finding companions would have been a nice way to tie such a world view to understand that there will always can be opponents that are not phased at all by how she fights. I mean now after the timeskip she's using stomping attacks. Wouldn't it have been a nice idea if the zombies would have made her realize that for some oppenents she just needs to completely rethink her attack set? I would have used it as a trigger experience to develop such attacks that we see now as normal.

3. Jigoro and Dogpen being tricked to jump out of the window
    Honestly that was such a poorly written part I was amazed that it was even greenlit. I have no problem with them being tricked into jumping down but the how was pathetic. Robin somehow finding the right words to make Hogback accidentally spout such a ridiculous command just seemed like a "well, I'm out of ideas" moment from Oda. I don't know if it makes more sense in Japanese but in English it just totally doesn't make sense.

Rather than tricking Hogback to trick Jigoro and Dogpen into jumping out of the window, I would have cut the middleman. Both hate each others guts and everybody in the Strawhat crew knows that. So it should have been easy for Robin to use Zoro's and Sanji's animosity to her advantage to make their respective zombies jump to one up their rival instead of it being the result of Hogbacks command. Would make the situation seem less like lazy writing and more something that only people with good knowledge of their crewmates could pull off.

4. "You must be triggering the bazooka with your thoughts"
    Does this even need an explenation? I still hope that this is either a) me remembering things bad or b) being a totally bad translation. So if it is, please ignore this point. But if not then WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL? Since when was it established that we have weapons that you can actually trigger with your thoughts in the One Piece universe? I mean if we go there and establish this as something that the ancient civilazation or Vegapunk could have developed, then I'm willing to accept it. But it has to be introduced properly. When we heard that Lasso is a gun that ate the dog fruit it was also a WTF moment. But at least Usopp made a point that this doesn't make sense. And later with the introduction of Vegapunk we at least know that he's developing things like this. Still iffy about the exact mechanics but at least it's pointed out as something special and not brushed aside. But holy hell, here Sanji just randomly mentions that Absaloms bazookas are triggered like that as if it is a completely random thing to happen in the OP world and that's it. Sorry, but that's bullshit.

This one is actually very easy to fix. Simply have the bazookas have triggers in front of Absalom palms matching/complementing the move his hands are performing when he's pretending to actually fire from his hands. I mean the bazookas are friggin invisible so there's no reason why there shouldn't be some invisible triggers there. Make it a custom build made for the sole purpose of Absalom being able to put on this show.

5. Oars' injured arm
    This also doesn't make sense with what has been established in the arc about how the zombies work. Just as stated in point 2. the zombies are meant to feel to pain or fatigue. Their bodies are not reanimated because of their organs and body functions being biologically revived. They are dead flesh, moving with magic (DF powers). Oars' arm suddenly not moving anymore because it is too beat up doesn't make sense. The arm aswell as the entire body is DEAD. It doesn't get more beat up that this.

What would I have made different?
    Surprisingly this would have also have had another solution that actually ties in much better with what has been established in the arc previously. Remember the zombie who's head fell off I mentioned earlier? Did it hurt him? No. Something similar could have been done with Oars' arm. Make the Strawhats deal the damage to the arm. But when it gets to Oars actually using bazooka himself make him realize that actually the arm in question fell off. He's a zombie and doesn't feel any pain. So it's believable that he didn't feel it. Also it could have made for some comic relief having his arm move doing the bazooka movement only to run into his legs. I mean there's countless of zombies where we see just a detatched zombie arm crawling on the floor. So it's much easier to believe that this is a thing that his arm being too injured to move.

6. Too much I miss Laboon in Brook's flashback
    I know how deep the connection between Brook and Laboon is and I have no qualms with the connection. But he mentions him far too often in the flashback to a point where it's just not natural and just there for Oda to hammer the point home how much Brook misses him. I mean how often in the series have seen the Strawhats say they miss what/who they left behind? Sanji remembers Zeff only when it's relevant to what's happening like Zeff's life being in danger or how he was raised by the old geezer. He doesn't go on about how he misses him. Usopp doesn't go on about Kaya and his former "pirate crew", Franky hasn't mentioned the Franky Family a single time since he left even though he wanted to stay in Water Seven to protect them. But Brook mentions Laboon more often within this short flashback than all the Strawhats combined reminiscence about who/what they left behind. Seriously, if you miss Laboon so much, why did you go on with your voyage in the first place? There's no agency to his adventure at all. What's his goal? I only hear him go on about Laboon.

What would I have made different?
    Making him shut the fuck up about Laboon! Nothing more needs to be said on that matter.

Well this is it for me. Sorry for the large post. Didn't expect it to be this long.^^' If you don't have any problems with what I discribed all the power to you. But those things really rubbed me the wrong way. And I actually enjoyed both arcs a lot.

Oh the general zombies thing. How could i have forgotten about that one. It still bothers me

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    I envision the character or characters to be a sort of mirror reflection of Luffy just gone down the path of bounty hunting. So it'd make sense how persistent the character is constantly showing up (a la Team Rocket) to capture big bounty pirates. If anything the better time for that introduction would've been Mocktown.

This is what I had in mind for Dressrosa and Greenbit:

Honestly, I'd save more time and split it in to two arcs.

Treat Greenbit like Zou and make it its own arc like Oda initially intended but make it an island not far from Dressrosa where you take down Doffy's right hand guy.

It ends but forces the crew to Dressrosa now for the colosseum and lead up to the grand fleet. I would then cut out the majority of the Riku family. Oda likes keeping these royal families intact too much. It makes no sense to me that Dofalmingo would keep the entire Riku family alive as toys or an unwilling mistress/scam artist/assassin. I'd either leave Rebecca and Kyros alive ending with Rebecca as Queen or leave Viola the sole Riku family survivor and alter her story a but in the end she ends up queen.

I'd probably go with Rebecca. Viola really is just an older Vivi with no SH help realizing they're not strong enough to stop Crocodile stuck in the role as a BW agent.

Probably still a bloated cast but the story gets cut down a bit.
    The problem is...who's Doflamingo's right-hand guy?

Because that's pretty much what Vergo was. And if Law was able to defeat Vergo, there's no reason to believe Luffy would struggle with someone of the same rank.

It's a bit tough to split Green Bit on its own since it didn't look like it would have enough content for every Straw Hat.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    2. I would have gotten rid of the birdcage. It was a lame way to raise the stakes in Dressrossa and it made everyone look weak. If there's an explanation for its ridiculous strength, I still think it breaks the overall One Piece worldbuilding so i choose to ignore it.
    Yeah, Birdcage execution is really shitty. It works a bit better when you put it in the paper because it gives a chance for everyone to do a little bit of effort, but it doesn't feel like that. Also, I can't stand Fujitora watching it all happening just to prove a point. Can't he really create a gravity ring to avoid the utter destruction of Dressrosa? Maybe that's how Oda could get him away from the fray: he has to keep creating gravity rings to prevent the ever-repairing Birdcage to destroy it all. The Tontatta keep the fabric safe, the samurai and the strawhats keep helping by fighting Doffy's awakening powers. Oda still has the optics of earth defeating the heavens by the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    Also Doflamingo's powers let him use people as puppets. So... SH vs SH fights? I dunno. Doflamingo himself really feels like a missed opportunity. I was really hyped for him but then I didn't enjoy the delivery. Him literally controlling some of the crew as puppets may have been an interesting dynamic and enough for Luffy to wanna take him out.

Sadly FI suffers from the OP Time Skip crew making all of the threats feel a bit meh.
    I was expecting Doflaming to be strong, he's the last OG Shichibukai we are actually engaging so he has to show off, but I thought that instead of being a tanker he would be a trickster. I thought that Luffy would have to deal with a lot of deception, traps and cunning fighting until being able to beat him.

Since Shirley's prediction is still hanguing above the story, I believe our second time in FI will be a much better ticket to show off the island and it's potential. How come we never got to see the fishmen dojo? And, yeah, I'm not a fan of how suddenly the "fishmen are 10x stronger than an average human" lore is thrown in the mud as soon as the SH arrive at FI. Just being against fishmen should be enought to keep the struggle more leveled. Luffy-Zoro-Sanji-Franky-Robin could absolutelly smash it all, but I'd like to see Chopper-Nami-Usopp-Brook struggling a little purely due to the gap in pure physical strenght.

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    LOOOL i'm going to edit that

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I'm going to assume the goal here is to improve the story we have without majorly changing it.
    Rebecca is fairly unpopular as Oda princesses go, and I think a lot of that comes from how completely lacking in utility she is in the final act of her story.

So Rebecca needs something else to do in the last leg of Dressrosa. My proposal is that she should have the Heal Heal Fruit, not Mansherry.
    Yeap, the part in italics is the gist of the thread. If you want to change something fundamental to the current story, try to cover how it would change future arcs. We kinda know now what Oda wants from each one (introduce a character, establish some big player, set a quest) so we can roll with most arcs until Wano.

Rebecca WAS stablished as a contrarian fighter. So maybe Oda could develop exactly what he promised. Why not have Rebecca tackle Diamante together with her father? Wasn't that the precise reason he taught her how to fight?

With that being said, I also like the idea of her eating the healing fruit; using some ideas gathered in this very thread, it could go like this: Crew arrives at Green Bit -> they get to know it's crazy flora -> meet the tontatta -> make friends over Norland mutual admiration -> Usopp regarded as a divine warrior due to his lies -> Viola spots them and prepare her forces to attack -> Doffy makes a transmition about the Colisseum's reward -> Luffy states he must go there -> team A decides to go to mainland Dressrosa -> Tontatta says that by ship is impossible due to Horned Fish swiming in the area, by feet is risky but doable -> team A takes the bridge to Dressrosa X team B prepares go to the beach to exchange CC with Doffy x team C makes an alliance to rescue the Tontatta princess from captivity -> team A is intercepted by Viola and easily beats her, she reports to her superior (Giolla) while running away (heelturn already in motion) X team B watches admiral Fujitora make little challenge of a school of Horned Fish X team C gets to know the gist of operation SOP and gets introduced to a tontata treasure (Heal Heal Fruit) -> the bridge is easy crossed due to Fujitora deeds X team B notices the title revoke was a charade, but CC exchange goes mostly the same. Viola now is trying to test Sanji's strenght; Giolla aims at the Sunny to cover for Viola's failure and creep the SH mobility (she bets no one can make it through the bridge); the Tontatta that are a part of the SOP operation start spreading the rumor of a divine warrior among Dresrossa; Robin and Usopp carry the fruit with them but it gets lost in the underground when facing Trebol and Sugar; when Sabo plummels the Colisseum the fruit end up in Rebecca's hands who eats it to power up; she discovers she is actually a healer but tries to fight Diamante anyway; Kyros intervienes, they together avenge their family and she proceeds to heal everyone like you suggested.
    Last edited by puffing.cinema; May 7th, 2021 at 06:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information