+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighborhood Watch (Name Subject to Change) - A Mafia Game

Default Re: Neighborhood Watch (Name Subject to Change) - A Mafia Game

Upon closer inspection of my apartment, my growling coffee maker has disappeared...I hope no one stole it.

On an unrelated note, there are strange scuffling noises in my closet now.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    snip
    Just making sure they see a notification as well.

Oh hey. Time sure flies when you're...not doing a lot.

Day 1 is always a kind of slog, I understand that, but I think we need to do a little bit more than just talk about the fact that we all agreed to have only KI's rent go up.

Jabbers: Any reason beyond the obvious one for voting for KI?
    kmo: You said Day 1 is usually for speculating and not much more. Do you think that's the most productive thing to do? Under what circumstances would you take action on Day 1?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuhan
    Upon closer inspection of my apartment, my growling coffee maker has disappeared...I hope no one stole it.
    That's disturbing...but I could probably make you a new one, I have my tools around here somewhere.

How original is it to still have this in my signature 5 years later?

DAY ONE - UPDATE

Eight players are alive, five votes are required to lynch.

Kitsune Inferno (1 vote): Jabberwok

20 hours remain.
    Last edited by Kirbycide; May 29th, 2021 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

*wakes up* Woah how did I get here?? I must have been sleep walking again! Sometimes when I sleep walk, I turn on the blender, sorry to the neighbor for hearing that sound during the night! Regardless, it's nice to meet all of you, quite indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    So I don't know about you, but Kirby here told me he didn't trust any of you. But he's also the landlord and has control over the virtually non-existent renter's policy. I mean, my shower doesn't go above lukewarm and I've asked him multiple times to have it fixed, and nothing! Really feels like a scam if you ask me.
    Well, I just woke up, but I'm very sure he said that he didn't trust you either, when I first met him.

So here's what I propose: we take matters into our own hands. Kirby's locked himself in here with us, and we outnumber him. He take that key from him, force him to sign a contract shifting management over to joint ownership. Kirby can still profit off rent like a parasite but we'll have a more direct say in the management and upkeep of these apartments. Sound good?
    I don't know, Kirby feels like a nice dude, he has an awesome Kirby game collection! How can I go against a fellow Kirby fan?

Quote Originally Posted by No swords style best style View Post
    Wait...your apartment came with a coffee maker? That two-bit weasel told me I had to buy my own! Bad pluming and cold showers are one thing, but messing with one's ability to produce coffee is crossing a line. I'm starting to see the appeal of joint ownership...
    You can have mine. I don't really drink coffee very much, so here you go!

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

Glad to see everyone's been active today, more discussion is always a good thing. And we can figure to work together to improve our shared humble abode! Who does what to fix up our living conditions, and such. Team work makes the dream work, after all.

You can have mine. I don't really drink coffee very much, so here you go!
    Ahh, thank you so much! You're the best, starlalilymoon .

...Coffee...

Stay foxy out there! Kitsune Inferno's Avatar

Normally, I'm not the biggest proponent of a no lynch, but I'm wondering if that's a good course of action here. I HIGHLY doubt there are three scum but if we mislynch today, if there are two, tomorrow is already mylo. Probably stating the obvious, but worth stating.

Though I wonder... why was I sleeping so long... I think maybe someone drugged me hence my long slumber, but what for?

Ahh, thank you so much! You're the best, starlalilymoon .

...Coffee...
    You're welcome!

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    Normally, I'm not the biggest proponent of a no lynch, but I'm wondering if that's a good course of action here. I HIGHLY doubt there are three scum but if we mislynch today, if there are two, tomorrow is already mylo. Probably stating the obvious, but worth stating.
    Maybe lynch the scum who drugged me and put me in for a long slumber. I'm lucky I survived.

I agree that it's worth stating. Three mafia would be excessive and one would be sort of the opposite. I would lean towards one over three though. Anyway, it seems most likely that we're dealing with 2 mafia members. So yes, we would be at mylo* tomorrow. Which is not the worst situation to be in, but still pretty bad on day 2. With the other scenario, if we no lynch today and (mis)lynch tomorrow, we'd be at lylo** on day 3, correct?

I'll just ask everybody right now then: Going with the scenarios described above, would you personally prefer mylo on day 2 or lylo on day 3?

----

*mylo= 'mislynch or lose' which means if town lynches a person who ends up being innocent, the mafia automatically wins. Usually, the safe course of action at mylo is not to lynch at all
    ** lylo = 'lynch or lose' which means that town has to lynch a mafia member or lose automatically due to numbers

How original is it to still have this in my signature 5 years later?

@Huschel: I want to say given the set up we have, I doubt anyone but the mafia have a killing role. Going by that logic, I would say no to a lynch for day one so as to make sure all players are still in action, making the majority still town.

Now to your question, I would much rather lylo on day three. By that time we should have a better understanding of what is going on and effectively get the scum.

Question for all, what is your opinion on voting out an inactive player?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuhan View Post
    I guess it depends how inactive they are? I'm not sure.

... On an unrelated note, there are strange scuffling noises in my closet now.
    Oh dear, already...

Quote Originally Posted by Huschel View Post
    ... kmo: You said Day 1 is usually for speculating and not much more. Do you think that's the most productive thing to do? Under what circumstances would you take action on Day 1?.
    I don't know if it's the most productive thing, but it is meaningful in a way. Knowing who knows what and when is helpful IMO. I probably wouldn't take any actions day 1 though, unless there is some pretty obvious reason to.

Thanks for the heads up. This is now my objective base as well.

Though I wonder... why was I sleeping so long... I think maybe someone drugged me hence my long slumber, but what for?...
    Maybe you are not getting enough coffee... Are you sure you should be throwing around free coffee makers like that?

I'll just ask everybody right now then: Going with the scenarios described above, would you personally prefer mylo on day 2 or lylo on day 3?
    Lylo on day 3 for me. Lynching day 1 vs day 2 have different values, and so I would much rather mislynch day 2, than go for a speculative kill day 1.

Big NO from me. I just don't see a good argument for lynching inactive players early in the game. The most common two reasons given are that inactivity is where mafias find a good hiding space, and that lurkers don't add value to the town. For the former, it might work on fast paced games, such as the likes of epic mafia, but on long duration forum games inactivity is VERY noticeable. Plus, the whole thing has been played out to the point where mafias are more likely to be active. For the later argument, I'd say even inactive players have intrinsic value because they add to the number of town, which is a huge plus. To me, unless in exceptional cases, it's almost always better to keep scum hunting than taking the easy route and killing the inactive.
    Will give life altering advice for a cup of frothy cappuccino

So, to everyone, why did you decided to take the apartment out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by kmohyudin View Post
    Maybe you are not getting enough coffee... Are you sure you should be throwing around free coffee makers like that?
    I prefer to drink my energy drinks bright and early in the morning! I got plenty in the fridge!

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

I also think lylo on day three is the better option. While stuff like three mafias with a stacked town or one really strong mafia could be possible, two mafias seems way more likely and balanced for this set up, and we don't have a ton to go off of. Plus, after the first night, we might learn enough to have a much better idea of who's scum.

I'd personally prefer not to unless they're 100% inactive. This is a relatively small game, and offing someone likely to be town could easily tip the scales in the mafia's favor. Even someone who doesn't post too often can still read posts and join to lynch when there's a convincing argument.

We can talk while I make us some margaritas, Sky. How are you enjoying the new living conditions?

A co-op is fine, but I'm not sure I'm ready to be responsible for an apartment building.
    Well, I do like margaritas... Thank you! They've been pretty good so far, I mean, as long as I have central air I'm good.

I agree that it's worth stating. Three mafia would be excessive and one would be sort of the opposite. I would lean towards one over three though. Anyway, it seems most likely that we're dealing with 2 mafia members. So yes, we would be at mylo* tomorrow. Which is not the worst situation to be in, but still pretty bad on day 2. With the other scenario, if we no lynch today and (mis)lynch tomorrow, we'd be at lylo** on day 3, correct?

----

*mylo= 'mislynch or lose' which means if town lynches a person who ends up being innocent, the mafia automatically wins. Usually, the safe course of action at mylo is not to lynch at all
    ** lylo = 'lynch or lose' which means that town has to lynch a mafia member or lose automatically due to numbers
    Personally lylo on Day 3 seems like the best option, especially since it emphasizes town action, rather than inaction. Plus, it gives us another day to scum-hunt and see what we can do.

Another question I had for you all, especially experienced players, what do you get out of Day 1, and what do you try to do?

Ah, meant to answer this too. On this, it depends. To be honest, I have been the inactive player voted out in the past, and from my perspective, I get it. In a game that often relies on players reactions and answers to things, one of the hardest things to do is get a read on an inactive person. When a person cannot respond enough, it leaves the people 'hunting' in a difficult place. They can either assume innocence until proven guilty, or be fooled by inactivity by a mafia. Either way, it's not great for the town. In practice, I think its a viable option if the town wants to lynch but doesn't have an overtly suspicious person.

I guess it depends how inactive they are? I'm not sure.
    I'll rephrase the question then. If someone has been quiet and unproductive all "day", would you lynch them?

Big NO from me. I just don't see a good argument for lynching inactive players early in the game. The most common two reasons given are that inactivity is where mafias find a good hiding space, and that lurkers don't add value to the town. For the former, it might work on fast paced games, such as the likes of epic mafia, but on long duration forum games inactivity is VERY noticeable. Plus, the whole thing has been played out to the point where mafias are more likely to be active. For the later argument, I'd say even inactive players have intrinsic value because they add to the number of town, which is a huge plus. To me, unless in exceptional cases, it's almost always better to keep scum hunting than taking the easy route and killing the inactive.
    Noted, appreciate the response. You get first pick of the cookies I'm baking later~
    Quote Originally Posted by No swords style best style View Post
    Even someone who doesn't post too often can still read posts and join to lynch when there's a convincing argument.
    See, my line of reasoning against this is that bandwagoning is a big no-no in my book. Voting while not giving any thought process is treacherous waters and I just can't get behind that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Ah, meant to answer this too. On this, it depends. To be honest, I have been the inactive player voted out in the past, and from my perspective, I get it. In a game that often relies on players reactions and answers to things, one of the hardest things to do is get a read on an inactive person. When a person cannot respond enough, it leaves the people 'hunting' in a difficult place. They can either assume innocence until proven guilty, or be fooled by inactivity by a mafia. Either way, it's not great for the town. In practice, I think its a viable option if the town wants to lynch but doesn't have an overtly suspicious person.
    I understand the notion. Life gets in the way and it sucks. However, dropping by to post at least once is preferable than nothing at all, especially when days in game are usually a couple days length IRL. Overall I understand.

This is a small game as some of you have stated, so communication is paramount. You notice something in someone's post, make note and share when the timing is right.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Jabbers: Any reason beyond the obvious one for voting for KI?
    Just the obvious. Didn't want to vote for starla since it's her first time and a vote on Kitsune helps light a fire under his fire. Plus I knew he wouldn't take it personally.

For the later argument, I'd say even inactive players have intrinsic value because they add to the number of town, which is a huge plus. To me, unless in exceptional cases, it's almost always better to keep scum hunting than taking the easy route and killing the inactive.
    Hard disagree with this. Inactive players might act as a minor buffer against scum manipulation, but they act as a much bigger inhibitor towards correct lynches.

Consider our current game of eight players. If we have two mafia members and an additional inactive, that means all five remaining players need to vote together in order to lunch a Mafia. Needless to say, that's rather difficult to achieve. And suppose a mislynch occurs, leaving six players. With two mafia remaining and an inactive, it's literally impossible for the Town to win.

Not to mention, discussion about whether or not to lynch an inactive later in the game can take up valuable discussion time and split critical votes. Better to get it out of the way early if necessary.

In any case, this doesn't apply to this game since everyone's been reasonably active. And inactivity is the only reason I see to lynch Day 1 since we've got nothing to go on otherwise. Likewise, a hypothetical Day 3 lylo is easily preferable to a Day 2 Mylo since it's worth another round of Night actions, even if it's just one more Mafia kill.

Unvote

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

DAY ONE - UPDATE

Eight players are alive, five votes are required to lynch.

11 hours remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    snip
    Hey Jabbs, what is your opinion on bandwagoning as prescribed by No Swords?

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Hey Jabbs, what is your opinion on bandwagoning as prescribed by No Swords?
    What, on a low-activity player jumping in late to join a wagon? I mean sure, it's possible, but it's not something anyone can count on. Better for everyone if activity is high across the board, and if people are clear on how close to the deadline they can be active. The current End of Day, for instance, is a bit before I get up, so I'll need to wait for things to shift back a bit and in the meantime just make sure I'm giving as many thoughts as possible before I hit the hay.

My second point still stands too. Discussion about removing inactive players splits focus and can damage the Town by being a distraction. It becomes a Catch-22: do we suspend discussion to vote out a player who's not participating in lieu of pursuing someone suspicious, or do we leave some dead weight around to make questioning and forming a sizeable wagon difficult?

Seems like we've got a good group so far. Fingers crossed that life doesn't interfere and inactivity stays a non-issue.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

I agree with you about the discussion on inactive players, hence I asked on day one to get it out of the way. I'm almost done work myself in about an hour and then I'm going to pass out because working 6 10 hour days is not kind to my psyche.

If anyone has a question for me in the meantime, I'll be trolling the thread till I go to bed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information