+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Neighborhood Watch (Name Subject to Change) - A Mafia Game

Default Re: Neighborhood Watch (Name Subject to Change) - A Mafia Game

DAY THREE - UPDATE

Five players are alive, three votes are required to lynch.

No swords style best style (1 vote): Sky

24 hours remain.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    So I think if we all agree, we can either lynch no swords today, or go through another night to determine if people are telling the truth about their roles. Assumably, if No swords role is real, they can visit Huschel during the night to find out their role, and star can also visit Huschel to confirm his role(and get his items).
    If I also target Huschel, I would be able to see that both of them 'visited' during the night.
    This is an interesting thought but there's too many things that could go wrong. The remaining mafia could avoid killing someone tonight in order to frame one of the visitors, or it could turn into a game of your word against someone else's. And if it doesn't prevent a kill, we've wasted one of our shots at lynching

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quick question, only mafia members know that other mafia members are mafia is that correct?

Okay, so your role allows you to visit the dead, take every item they had, and learn their role? That has the potential to be pretty powerful, so I'm not quite convinced, but the way you've presented the info so far has me leaning towards you being town.
    Actually, I made a mistake. I can only visit the dead and check their role, role description, and what items they had. I can't keep the items, I'm sorry for being confusing, I was confused too about the description, but it's cleared up now! ><

Quote Originally Posted by No swords style best style View Post
    After checking the mafia wiki, it says that FBI agents usually just get a guilty reading on serial killers and no one else. And of all the players still alive, basically all of us agree that myself, Star, and Sky are the most suspicious. If we lynched one of us today, and then another of the three or Kitsune died at night, then Jabber is the safest person on the final day, since we've all seen him as getting an accurate read on Kmo. But thinking about this differently, all he would need to be "confirmed" as an FBI agent would be the knowledge that Kmo is a serial killer.

So what if Jabber is actually a mafia role cop, or similar equivalent, and just used the knowledge he gained from checking Kmo night 1?

Looking back at day 2, the momentum for lynching was almost completely on Huschel under Jabber brought up his report. It's not like it was super risky for Jabber to do it, since he would be validated when Kmo died if he knew his role. Since then, none of us have doubted or investigated Jabber. I haven't done it, Kitsune hasn't done it, heck, it Sky is telling the truth, then she was protecting Jabber both nights until now, in a way. No one here has ever double checked or suspected anything in regards to Jabber after his claim.

And while Jabber did mention the idea of Shuhan shooting Huschel, he wasn't the first one to bring it up; Sky was. But it still let Huschel have a night action he very, very likely would not have been permitted otherwise. Like, say, using the gun he stole at least once.

Plus, nobody's claimed to have any sort of protective role or used a protective item, yet everyone lived through night one. And if the mafia really do each have a night power, like Jabber just brought up, then it's very possible we've had a mafia thief/mafia role cop combo, who needed items to kill. If they decided to both target Kmo night 1, they could have then acted based on that information in addition Kitsune's report. Heck, if this is the case, then its possible Huschel was the role cop and Jabber is the thief, and they privately exchanged information after Huschel was exposed so Jabber could both get suspicion off of himself and keep the gun he stole.
    The likely uselessness of my role is something I'm painfully aware of. Part of my wishes Shuhan hadn't stolen my gun so I'd have something useful to do at night, but he already put it to very good use and it's not like I could do any better.

I'm trying to think of a proper defense against your theory and I can't find anything airtight. A Mafia would be happy to find a Serial Killer and use it as a deflection away from their scumbuddy. And no one's night actions have totally probably bed my innocence.

However, I believe I've done my best to act in the Town's interest based on my own knowledge. Kitsune's comparable role allowed him to trust me when I verified some details from my role message. And the idea that the mafia has to rely on lethal weaponry to make their night kills seems extremely unlikely to me. The mafia needs to make a number of night kills to aid in their victory and locking those onto items, particularly limited ones, seems like an odd removal of their signature ability. Everyone knows for a fact that I had a One-Shot Gun, which would either be redundant or help prove my innocence.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

So I think if we all agree, we can either lynch no swords today, or go through another night to determine if people are telling the truth about their roles. Assumably, if No swords role is real, they can visit Huschel during the night to find out their role, and star can also visit Huschel to confirm his role(and get his items).
    If I also target Huschel, I would be able to see that both of them 'visited' during the night.
    Thinking through this, you should almost certainly target Kitsune tonight with your ability as it's the closest thing to protection we have. He's a confirmed Townie with a powerful ability, so either you see who kills him or he's unharmed and can investigate again.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Quick question, only mafia members know that other mafia members are mafia is that correct?
    Typically, mafia members learn each other's identity on Night 1 when they meet up to chat about who to kill. We'll get to see both their interactions and the reactions from the graveyard when the links are shared after the game.

Actually, I made a mistake. I can only visit the dead and check their role, role description, and what items they had. I can't keep the items, I'm sorry for being confusing, I was confused too about the description, but it's cleared up now! ><
    Thank you for clarifying this! Getting the items would've been far too similar to the Thief role to make sense, since they can already steal from both alive and dead people. I'm a lot less suspicious now!

Looking at past posts, here's my analysis:

1. I am very sure Kitsune is Town because he has guilty reports on Mafia members -- AKA Huschel was Mafia. I also think his reports only really work on people who are aligned with Mafia.

2. With that in mind, since Kitsune had a not guilty report on Sky, that means she is town very likely. These two are cleared in my book.

3. With regards to me, I'm very sure I'm proven I'm town by this point. I'm always open to more questions to prove my position.

4. With Jabber, Shuhan stole his gun. If Shuhan thought he was mafia, he would have shot him? And Jabber's ability has been proven to work with guilty reports, but only on non-mafia members? But I'm not sure. I'm 70% sure Jabber is Town, which the way he is talking, and this situation with Shuhan. Just seeing their two interactions in previous posts makes me feel like Jabber is likely town, but I'm still a bit iffy.

5. This leaves No Swords. There is no evidence backing up their claim, but I'm not sure if they are Mafia or not. I'm 50/50 on him currently.

I feel like we should lynch someone tonight, just in case, because the final mafia member (assuming there is two?) might go after Kitsune or possibly me. I'm not sure though, what does everyone think?

Also, Kitsune mentioned something about a godfather. How is a godfather different from a regular mafia member? *curious*

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Typically, mafia members learn each other's identity on Night 1 when they meet up to chat about who to kill. We'll get to see both their interactions and the reactions from the graveyard when the links are shared after the game.
    Oooo, that's epic! Thank you!

Thank you for clarifying this! Getting the items would've been far too similar to the Thief role to make sense, since they can already steal from both alive and dead people. I'm a lot less suspicious now!
    You're welcome! I'm sorry for being confusing, I'm still learning the game, but I'm getting there XD

Okay, that makes more sense.

Even without investigating her, I believe that Star is telling the truth about her role, if not her alinement. It seems way too intricate and detailed to be making up out of nowhere, especially for a new player.

No problem, being more honest now will help with scum hunting. It may have been a little selfish of me to bring up keeping roles a secret just so I could have a chance to prove I'm telling the truth.

Also, this might be a crazy idea, but hear me out:

After checking the mafia wiki, it says that FBI agents usually just get a guilty reading on serial killers and no one else. And of all the players still alive, basically all of us agree that myself, Star, and Sky are the most suspicious. If we lynched one of us today, and then another of the three or Kitsune died at night, then Jabber is the safest person on the final day, since we've all seen him as getting an accurate read on Kmo. But thinking about this differently, all he would need to be "confirmed" as an FBI agent would be the knowledge that Kmo is a serial killer.

So what if Jabber is actually a mafia role cop, or similar equivalent, and just used the knowledge he gained from checking Kmo night 1?

Looking back at day 2, the momentum for lynching was almost completely on Huschel under Jabber brought up his report. It's not like it was super risky for Jabber to do it, since he would be validated when Kmo died if he knew his role. Since then, none of us have doubted or investigated Jabber. I haven't done it, Kitsune hasn't done it, heck, it Sky is telling the truth, then she was protecting Jabber both nights until now, in a way. No one here has ever double checked or suspected anything in regards to Jabber after his claim.

And while Jabber did mention the idea of Shuhan shooting Huschel, he wasn't the first one to bring it up; Sky was. But it still let Huschel have a night action he very, very likely would not have been permitted otherwise. Like, say, using the gun he stole at least once.

Plus, nobody's claimed to have any sort of protective role or used a protective item, yet everyone lived through night one. And if the mafia really do each have a night power, like Jabber just brought up, then it's very possible we've had a mafia thief/mafia role cop combo, who needed items to kill. If they decided to both target Kmo night 1, they could have then acted based on that information in addition Kitsune's report. Heck, if this is the case, then its possible Huschel was the role cop and Jabber is the thief, and they privately exchanged information after Huschel was exposed so Jabber could both get suspicion off of himself and keep the gun he stole.
    This is an interesting point, and seems to have a lot of forethought on Jabber's part. It could be possible, but I'd also like to look at their posts that day for a feel. Plus, the later part of your argument could be applied to you as well, considering that you're claiming a role cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok
    Thinking through this, you should almost certainly target Kitsune tonight with your ability as it's the closest thing to protection we have. He's a confirmed Townie with a powerful ability, so either you see who kills him or he's unharmed and can investigate again.
    That makes sense too, and if we don't lynch the last mafia today, Kitsune can use his power on No Swords to determine guilt.

Actually, no. That theory doesn't make sense. There's no reason that Jabber would chose to investigate night 1 instead of killing with the gun he had. A night 1 kill is almost guaranteed if the mafia has the ability, and there's no reason mafia shouldn't kill that first night over investigating a role, especially if Huschel stole kmo's gun that night.

With that, and everything we've said so far, I think we should lynch No swords, there's almost no doubt in my mind that they're the last mafia.

Stay foxy out there! Kitsune Inferno's Avatar

This is why I'm hesitant to fully 100% clear Jab. He billed himself as a cop, then got a serial killer, then claimed FBI Agent after the fact. I'm starting to wonder if Jabs is mafia, who followed up with a fake claim on Kmohyudin to "clear" himself as an Insane cop, only to swerve when he learned about kmohyudin being a serial killer. I feel like Jabs's story has been fairly reactive and seems to change subtly to suit the circumstances.

That doesn't discredit the specifics of our role PMs and him starting the game with a gun though, which makes sense for an FBI Agent whose goal in the game is to, well, take down a serial killer. A gun is useful in pursuing that goal.

My only question for you, Jabs, is why not reveal the existence of a third party earlier? We may have already gone over this but I believe it would have been useful information, unless you've cleverly breadcrumbed it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    This is why I'm hesitant to fully 100% clear Jab. He billed himself as a cop, then got a serial killer, then claimed FBI Agent after the fact. I'm starting to wonder if Jabs is mafia, who followed up with a fake claim on Kmohyudin to "clear" himself as an Insane cop, only to swerve when he learned about kmohyudin being a serial killer. I feel like Jabs's story has been fairly reactive and seems to change subtly to suit the circumstances.

That doesn't discredit the specifics of our role PMs and him starting the game with a gun though, which makes sense for an FBI Agent whose goal in the game is to, well, take down a serial killer. A gun is useful in pursuing that goal.
    I don't think this holds up to scrutiny. My very first post of the day was one coming hot at kmo because my suspicions of him were never random. You might also notice that I never called myself a Cop; I said I had an investigative ability that yielded a Guilty result. And if I'm a Mafia Rolecop that found a Serial Killer like No swords suggests, why wouldn't I have claimed earlier for a proper alibi? I don't think there's a significant difference between claiming at the end of D2 vs beginning of D3, as either way a fake claim would run the risk of conflicting with an actual FBI Agent.

My only question for you, Jabs, is why not reveal the existence of a third party earlier? We may have already gone over this but I believe it would have been useful information, unless you've cleverly breadcrumbed it somewhere.
    If I'm being honest here, I forgot that FBI Agent was an official role that implied the existence of a Serial Killer and not just a reflavored Cop. Kirby refused to answer what a Guilty result would mean so I didn't even consider the possibility of a third party until late D2. I'm starting to think I'm less Spencer Reid and more Charles Boyle.

As for breadcrumbing, nope, didn't really do that and probably should have. The closest I've got is this:

Beyond that, I don't have too much to offer sooo... where's everyone from? I'm from the Pacific Northwest. Not as much blue sky as one might expect given our infamously rainy weather, but beautiful green towns everywhere full of trees and flowers. Nice place, a lot better than this basement.
    From when I hadn't read the front page fully and was a bit confused by why my alignment was green instead of the traditional blue. Kirby's recommendation to go back and read the rules properly cleared that up for me. I'm not from the Pacific Northwest at all! Southern California born and raised.

Anyways, I'm pretty confident No swords is the remaining mafia and he's doing his best to throw suspicion on me. Don't blame anyone if you all decide to lynch me since my role apparently doesn't offer much value to the Town anymore, but I'd really hate to see us fumble this game after such a strong start.

I'm totally on-board for a No swords lynch today, especially after Jabber explained himself a bit. I've voted already.

To be honest, if it's not No swords, it would be star. I have no doubts that the Coroner role they described was honest, especially with the detail given. At this point, its unlikely, but I think that there could've been a theif/coroner mafia team.

I say that we lynch No swords today, then if we don't end the game, Kitsune investigates star, I watch Kitsune, and we have a relatively conclusive day 4.

I say that we lynch No swords today, then if we don't end the game, Kitsune investigates star, I watch Kitsune, and we have a relatively conclusive day 4.
    I'm fine with this, anything to prove my innocence!

If the game does not end with No Swords, I'm sure Jabber would be the ticket for the town to win, as Kitsune's investigation will clear me of any wrongdoing.

Vote Lynch: No swords style best style

By the way, if the game still continues for Day 4, whose dead body I should check?

Frankly, I'd prefer if we didn't prescribe Kitsune's investigation. On the offchance something goes wrong, the uncertainty between investigating starla and me might be crucial.

Kitsune, you're welcome to investigate me if you want. Nothing to hide here.

By the way, if the game still continues for Day 4, whose dead body I should check?
    Not No swords, if he's innocent then we should trust that he has no items. Huschel seems like the best choice to me.

Not No swords, if he's innocent then we should trust that he has no items. Huschel seems like the best choice to me.
    I was thinking him too honestly. As I'm sure he lied about the whole vest thing x3

Right, looks like not much conversation is going on and I can't guarantee I'll be around close to Day end. Might as well try this now.

Vote Lynch: No swords style best style

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbycide View Post
    snip

I'm awake, I'm awake!

DAY THREE - END

Five players are alive, three votes were required to lynch. With three votes, No swords style best style will be lynched.

~~~~~~

The deaths of the night prior seemed to provide a sense of focus and urgency to your discussions on your third day in the basement.

In short order, you and the other tenants seemed to settle on a plan moving forward. If any criminals remained among you, then they should easily be distinguished in time by singling out the most suspicious individuals. You shared what information you had gathered, and collectively decided on the next tenant to be ousted: No swords style best style.

Deflated and defeated, No swords went silent as you and the other three tenants circled them. There was no point in struggling, now... the end would be coming soon.

When you were done, you took a moment to turn out the pockets on No swords' corpse. In them you found two cell phones, one of which stubbornly avoided unlocking.

~~~~~~

"So he was the other one, eh?" Kirby says as he walks into the dimly lit room. "Good work, you four. I had a feeling after the first night that this was how things would turn out."

The landlord lets out a low chuckle as his grin widens.

"Well, you've earned your first month, alright. Beats hiring a background and credit checking company, doesn't it? Cheap, efficient. And now I've got some more spare units to lease out."

He laughs, then starts to wrap up No swords' body.

"Of course, you're free to go now, if you like. Front door's unlocked. But if you want to stay another month, you're more than welcome. Rent's free - all I ask is that you do me a favor..."

~~~~~~

Four players are alive.

No swords style best style is dead. They were a member of the Mafia.

With no other threatening factions remaining, the Town wins! Congratulations!

Well played, everyone. I hope that you had some fun! It was fun for me to set everything up, and I learned a whole lot about Mafia game design. I'll probably put another game together in the near future if there's enough interest, something a little less confusing than this one.

Regarding the items without active abilities or detailed descriptions - those were in the game so that when the thieves targeted a player that didn't have anything particularly valuable, they'd still get some kind of flavor regarding their target's role. The Cop and the FBI Agent had badges, for example. Binoculars on the watcher, a microscope on the coroner, that sort of thing. The thieves were differentiated slightly so I'd know in which order to apply their steals, should they target the same player on a given night. Master thief would steal first, then the ninja thief, and lastly the normal thief. Valuable items would be taken first, like the guns or the taser, and if those were gone, then the thieves would get one of the flavor items at random, instead.

I really didn't expect both Kitsune and Jabberwok to target the one player each of them would find guilty on the first night. Made things quickly swing in favor of the town... especially since the only way either the serial killer or mafia could perform night kills was if they got their hands on either of the guns. I think that some of you regulars must be getting pretty good at reading each other by now.

Anyway, thanks for playing, it was a lot of fun watching you all figure everything out. If you have any criticism/comments/suggestions for me, then please let me know!

Oh yeah, here are the links to the Mafia's private chat and the Graveyard chat, if you're interested in seeing the schemes that went on behind the scenes.

Good Game town!!
    Will give life altering advice for a cup of frothy cappuccino

Hooray Town! A near-flawless victory!

So there actually was a Godfather and it was No swords?! I thought he might be being half-honest about being a Mafia Role Cop, but I was so incredibly worried that Sky was a Godfather and tricking us all. Good work everyone!

There's a lot of interlocking business going on here so it's kind of difficult to determine how balanced the game was. The mafia had dual powers and could communicate during the day but couldn't initially kill. The Town had a lot of powers too! I think it might have helped it our role items (badge, lockpick, etc.) were briefly mentioned in our role assignments so we had a brief idea of what they might mean, since it was a sticking point that may have unfairly thrown suspicion on poor unfortunate kmo.

Seems like things went nearly perfectly for the Town, but the Mafia also executed some of the exact moves they needed to to be effective. Hope everyone else had as much fun as I did!

poor unfortunate kmo
    Well, in hindsight, I knew there was a Mafia thief, and I got a lockpick from Huschel. It was my own fault that I didn't connect the dots, lol. But, yeah, if I knew there were flavor items in the game that would have helped!

I too had a lot of fun while it lasted. I rarely get to play anti Town roles, so that was awesome!
    Will give life altering advice for a cup of frothy cappuccino

I think it might have helped it our role items (badge, lockpick, etc.) were briefly mentioned in our role assignments so we had a brief idea of what they might mean, since it was a sticking point that may have unfairly thrown suspicion on poor unfortunate kmo.
    That's a good idea, I'll be sure to keep that in mind for future planning of roles like the thief. Thanks!

Stay foxy out there! Kitsune Inferno's Avatar

Yay! To be clear my doubts toward Jabberwok were like very very minor.

Glad we won and I didn't botch anything!

Yay! To be clear my doubts toward Jabberwok were like very very minor.

Glad we won and I didn't botch anything!
    You botched me winning.

How original is it to still have this in my signature 5 years later?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information