+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,011: The Code of Sweet Beans

Default Re: Chapter 1,011: The Code of Sweet Beans

-Com' on man, you said you weren't gon get drunk this time
    -Sheddap! Jus tak me to thy Senny Gu.. plurp!.

Yay for Big mom reminding us Kidd sucks and is just a loudmouth thatcan be dealt with easy. But maybe him and Law can team up to deal with Big Mom. They work well off each other.

Hawkins play the game so safe I wonder how he managed to make it so far. Grand line doesnt feel like a place you would stay if you are playing the odds. Did he only ever made weaker opponent and easily conquerable obstacles?

I enjoy cliché hero and villain running at each other to stop the fight. I look forward to seeing more.

Big mom and Tama are cute. Also that girl is really good at manipulating people.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Also that girl is really good at manipulating people.
    Yeah, she's gonna grow up into the kind that ruins the lives of many men.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Well I think this pretty much sums up my feelings on the chapter:
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Kaiju moment from Big Mom was the shit! I'm also a little confused about her attack/homie she used to get into Onigashima. Hope we get to see it again in full view.

Edit: I avoid the spoiler thread most of a time, but I made the mistake to read the one of this chap... Just people questioning the fact that a character named Big effing Mom could have some motherly affections to a sweet little girl.
    Last edited by Wintermute; April 25th, 2021 at 03:40 PM.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

I know some hardcore fans keep track of where everyone is at any giving moment so did we know that Tama was on the second floor before, or was it only showed now? It struck me as something kinda weird cuz didn't she have to cross the main stage before climbing up the floors?

And it's kinda funny when you think that this chapter's cliffhanging is basically the starting line of a joke. "A thief, a liar, a raging dinosaur, a cloud and the biggest mom in the world enter a bar..." the punchline is probably coming in two weeks (ch 1012)

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

I don't like this development at all. Big Mom suddenly adopt "mother" personality towards a little child? Yeah right, where did it go when Momo is crucified on the stage?

This is too convenient, and thanks to that, Page One get wrecked so hard, belittling Usopp' and Nami's struggle beforehand. Now they can finish him no probz, ez pz gg next.

Ulti? If she's flying into rage at seeing Pay-pay get wrecked then she's done too. Usopp and Nami can watch in amusement, leave them to Big Mom!

Which means, once again, Usopp and especially Nami don't get any highlight. Well done, well done.

On the other hand, that's a big Yamato on the cover...
    Last edited by astagadragon; April 25th, 2021 at 05:33 PM.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Looks like the official translation also missed the implictions of Kaido's line regarding Luffy's smile.
    Yeah, I'm surprised not only the unofficial but also the professional translator did the same mistranslation..

Kaido is implying if Luffy (or Will of Ds?) laughs more, "something" will happen.
    For example, "The more you laugh, the stronger Will of Ds will get".
    Oda is deliberately hiding what Kaido said here.
    This line is so important that JP fans already enjoy discussing it.

I've heard a theory from some people that D is just short for the smiley emoticon (:D)
    because almost everyone carrying the Will of D dies with a smile on their face.
    Spoiler:

Kaidou probably admired Rocks, so if Kaidou saw Rocks die with a smile, then that could explain why Kaidou also wants a death that's epic.

So possible foreshadowing Luffy's death soon.
    How much can you do? Just grab a ball and juggle.
    All those balls in the air, How hard can it be?
    So hard you're getting dizzy!
    Keep those balls in the air, Keep those balls in the ai-air!
    Balls in the air!

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Hawkins said someone has 1% chance of surviving yet we have seen nothing except the beast pirates getting wrecked. So nobody cares about what Hawkins says
    Hawkins' prediction is always probability of event occurring not certainty, and the event with higher probability occurs only for him lol. Others always have the low probability event happening to them. Thats his luck. So yeah basically killer is not dying even if there is a 1% chance of him surviving because he is with SHs.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Pay attention to the subtext when Big Mom warned Kaido she was going to Wano.

Then what she does once she reckognizes Queen.
    Then what she says to Perospero when he questions the alliance.

This entire setup is her idea. She's not in Wano just for Luffy's head.
    Luffy is the main reason she came to Want but she is using this pretext to remove Kaido and get the poneglyph. Probably she is waiting for Kaido and Luffy to tire each other out and strike when time is right.
    Last edited by blindjustice; April 25th, 2021 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Yeah, I'm surprised not only the unofficial but also the professional translator did the same mistranslation..

Kaido is implying if Luffy (or Will of Ds?) laughs more, "something" will happen.
    For example, "The more you laugh, the stronger Will of Ds will get".
    Oda is deliberately hiding what Kaido said here.
    This line is so important that JP fans already enjoy discussing it.

I've heard a theory from some people that D is just short for the smiley emoticon (:D)
    because almost everyone carrying the Will of D dies with a smile on their face.
    Still unclear to me how D is related
    Would you care to elaborate,please?because it seems mere speculation otherwise

And can someone post the spoiler schedule again?

Good chapter.
    I understand people not liking BM's development here, but I love this, this is exactly what I was hoping for all this time. BM is too strong, so Oda has to deal with her some way. He can either go about it a terrible way, nerfing her and having her get constantly easily owned, completely going against how she was portrayed in whole cake. Or he can go about it a better way, having her choose to do something else than fighting straw hats.
    Plus, extra character development for BM? Sure, why not. Plot wise it's kinda bullshit, but from a story perspective I like it. Also, it kinda makes sense seeing how Tama and the townsfolk treated her. This so much better than the lunacy of Tama magically mind controlling people.
    It doesn't ruin the story for me, but I'm also scratching my head over the powerscaling. G4 Luffy literally didn't last a second against base Kaido (why I like the anime's thunder bagua better, there it seemed like it actually took some effort on Kaido's part), but now base Luffy is going toe to toe with hybrid Kaido. What if Kaido didn't eat that OP fruit? Would he get shitstomped by G4 Luffy or even base Luffy then? The strongest creature in the world? Same goes for BM, who was completely invulnerable to Luffy one arc ago. The argument has been made that maybe CoC bypasses physical strength altogether, but raises it's own big issue. Why is anyone without CoC even trying? It's pointless. When you're a pirate who wants to go to the new world but don't have CoC:
    Spoiler:

The laughter is giving him powers!!

xd

When I heard there would be poll results with this chapter I expected the usual top whatever colour spread to go with it, but it's not the full results yet, and it's just a normal spread. Franky's Mr Whippy hair is a blessed detail. The giant Nami in the background could be worth paying attention to. Oda doesn't often play with scale to that degree in the spreads. Remember the title of chapter 410? Is Oda hinting at some kind of embiggening in Nami's future?

I wouldn't bet on it. Theories based on colour spread symbolism are usually tinfoil-level.

I've got no idea what the plan is for Big Mom at this point and that's probably the way Oda wants it. She works well in the wild card role. Not just in her big flip at the end of the chapter, but her ability to just make a new weapon out of any part of the environment after being disarmed makes her fighting style as unpredictable as her loyalty.

Luffy and Kaido are back at it. Kaido notices Luffy enjoying the battle and seems to feel the same way as he circles the outskirts of having a personality.

It's been interesting seeing the back and forth over whether Kaido should be talking about laughing or smiling with Luffy, and learning how the Japanese wording could be translated either way. Laughing has the obvious Laugh Tale reference, but I'm not going to be as quick as some to call out smiling as an incorrect translation either. Consider not just the idea of the D as a pictogram for a grinning mouth, but also the symbolism of smiles throughout the arc of the fruits of the same name, and how the people who ate them can't stop smiling (and laughing) even in times of distress. Maybe time will tell which was the better choice in this case, but for now you can make a strong argument either way.

But I don't think we'll be coming back to this for a while. This is too good a segway to the inside of the castle to waste.

Killer and Hawkins is not a matchup I expected, but I'm glad to see Hawkins again. He's been feeling fairly forgotten for most of this battle. Maybe he's been lurking in the shadows, only engaging groups of fodder the cards tell him he can 100% take out, and that's why he hasn't confronted another named character before now. His disrespect for Killer is crazy though. Hawkins thinks he has a 92% chance of killing anyone who was part of the rooftop brawl? Someone who actually took Kaido (against whom Hawkins was certain he'd lose) head on and dealt damage? He doesn't look that badly hurt, man!

I'm sure Hawkins is no one to trifle with either, but considering where Killer's just been, it should at least be more of a 50/50 shot. Anything less feels like Hawkins deluding himself. But hey, most real world fortune telling is just looking for the things you want to see in abstract symbols, why shouldn't Hawkins operate the same way?

New voodoo man form looks sick though.

The confirmation that Tama's power only works on Smiles is nice to have. It was assumed anyway, but it's always good to know for sure. I'm curious to see what order she plans to give the Gifters, if there's a specifc plan, or if she's just going to tell them to turn on their former crew and go wild. Usopp and nami are both great in this sequence.

Big Mom looks huge when she appears in the castle. I know she's bigger than a normal person, but I forget sometimes how much of a monolith she is, even accounting for Oda's tendency to play with scale for drama. It is a great shot though. Really emphasises her as a threat. And then, unexpectedly, the O-Lin plot with Tama comes full circle. I'm glad it happened this way and not with a new bout of amnesia. Looking back over the spoiler thread, and even this one, seems like people got pretty worked up over the "mother mode" thing, but the actual context doesn't back up the outrage. I get the fear, especially for the early spoiler readers - in a shonen, where changing forms is key, and with Big Mom, who's had two distinct personalities this arc already, there's some pretty clear connotations to saying she switched to a different *mode*. But what the chapter actually shows is that she just generally likes kids and acts nice to them, without that totally overtaking her normal reasoning or anything. I could say Nami sometime switches into big sis mode around kids and it would mean the exact same thing.

I'm not the first to say it, but Big Mom turning on a dime because being fed goes above everything else in her moral compass made me think of Luffy. They're a lot more alike than either of them would ever admit. And wonder if that (or the fact that they're both indebted to Tama for the same reason) is going to come up again before the arc is done. Maybe, if she actually does remain standing the whole way, it could be how the post-Kaido ceasefire is negotiated.

And I do think a real fight with her is still on the cards. There was a point in this arc when it would have seemed reasonable to play Big Mom and Kaido against each other, resulting in an uneasy truce with Big Mom, but now? The Gifters have turned, Kaido's officers are being kept busy by the alliance's heavy hitters and Luffy is going toe to club with the big man himself. We don't need more help right now. Big Mom is a wildcard. Relying on her to keep doing what she just did to PageOne would be a huge mistake. (As would assuming PageOne will stay down for long without it being Usopp's doing.) There's every chance she'll sort out her issues with Kaido with one blow, like Luffy taking a swing at Bege for hurting his friends but still allying with him after. And what's going to happen when she learns X Drake, now on the alliance's side, destroyed Tama's first home?

But speaking of what Big Mom did to PageOne... I don't want to get back into the debate about the new haki tech, but Big Mom using offensive CoC here is another point against its first impression. Why only now, and not, say, when she blocked Luffy at the tea party or attacked Kid on the roof? Is it just because we know what it is now and Oda wants to show it again. He got away with a lot by making haki and other powers invisible until explained to the main cast, but there's not a lot of ways to visually justify the idea that Big Mom and others have actually been casually using this skill that sets them apart the whole time. We'll see where Oda takes it from here though.

And finally, I'm not one to go super hard on predictions, but the setup for the next chapter feels pretty obvious. We're back inside the dome, potentially back to the emerging pattern of chapters named after Straw Hats. Nami was next in order, if I recall correctly. She's here. Ulti's here. Zeus is going to where Big Mom is, not knowing he's been replaced. I can connect the dots. Look forward to seeing you all there for whatever way Oda chooses to completely subvert all the setup he's done for the hypothetical Cat Burgular chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by huron View Post

And can someone post the spoiler schedule again?
    Here ya go, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchInformer View Post
    About next weeks

-Chapter 1010 on 09 April.
    -Break on 16 April.
    -Chapter 1011 on 23 April.
    -Break on the 30th of April because of Golden Week *BUT* the spoiler of Chapter 1012 will probably get a leak on 27 - 29 of April by the Korean guy.
    -Chapter 1012 with Full translation and everything on 07 May.
    -Chapter 1013 on 14 May (back to normal base).

-just in case, Chapter 1012 (with and translation and everything) can get a leak on 28 April *BUT* with low possibilities.

*Everything could change *BUT* this depending in current situation.

I don't think translating either "laugh" or "smile" is a big issue here, but at least I can guarantee that skipping Kaido's implication about something is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by huron View Post
    D being related is just my speculation, but it is clear from Japanese text that Kaido is implying "something" in that panel. Japanese fans are wondering what he meant.
    Last edited by sandman; April 26th, 2021 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I don't think translating either "laugh" or "smile" is a big issue here, but at least I can guarantee that skipping Kaido's implication about something is not a good idea.

D being related is just my speculation, but it is clear from Japanese text that Kaido is implying "something" in that panel. Japanese fans are wondering what he meant.
    Ah, I see what you're getting at. Trying to quickly catch up a weekend's worth of discussion, the missing lead-on sentence got a bit lost in the word choice discussion. I'll be interested to see if Stephen has anything to say about it on the podcast. It does feel like an odd thing to leave out.

I maintain my position that we're not going to have a translation that accounts properly for all the foreshadowing until after the series is done and we can look back on it with full knowledge of what it's all hinting at.

"Man, i'm glad Big Mom came along and defeated page one saving usopp and nami, they could never beat him on their own. it's not like they ever defeated opponents way stronger then them by outsmarting them before. They don't have conqueror's haki after all".

But really, 10 years have passed and these 2 still look like the odd strawhats that actually got weaker during the timeskip. I'm still trying to figure out how replacing Usopp trickster practical shenanigans with random plants that do random things was ever a good idea, and i'm struggling to remember anything noteworthy about Nami's skillset after she tossed her old cane for the new one.
    "aw shit, i don't have any affective close range weapon. I mean, i did have the impact dial, which was my bread and butter 2 years ago and that would be incredibly usefull right now, but when i realised i couldn't fit both it and the pinecones that explode in flashy pretty flowers in my bag, the choice seemed obvious to me"
    Last edited by Alfiere; April 26th, 2021 at 03:28 AM.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

Not that I’m a fan of power levels, but Ulti and Page 1 are two beasts with busoshoku, while Nami and Usopp never showed any sign of armament. I think we are all tired of seeing the main characters win just because plot.

For this very reason, I hope that Franky will not be the one taking down Sasaki

Quote Originally Posted by crlsdc View Post
    Not that I’m a fan of power levels, but Ulti and Page 1 are two beasts with busoshoku, while Nami and Usopp never showed any sign of armament. I think we are all tired of seeing the main characters win just because plot.

For this very reason, I hope that Franky will not be the one taking down Sasaki
    I do feel each of the Tobi Roppo could give challenges to the post-TS Monster Trio, and Nami and Usopp aren't up to that level yet.

That said, Nami may be able to beat Ulti as long as she's able to avoid damage, as her own attacks are quite powerful. Especially since Zeus is most likely returning to her, amping up her attack power even further.

Usopp, however, has yet to show something truly powerful enough to harm a beast like Page One, and this chapter even showcases this clearly as he had several free shots of his most powerful stuff against a helpless Page One and still couldn't take him down.

So, unless Usopp gets a powerup soon, I'd say Page One is not going to be his match. He has haki, maybe this is a chance for him to develop it further, but I do feel that going from awaken it to mastering it without training in-between feels like a stretch at this point.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information