+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,011: The Code of Sweet Beans

Default Re: Chapter 1,011: The Code of Sweet Beans

I love how chaotic Big Mom is. Takes me back to when Law was told in PH that Luffy already has the selfishness of a Yonko, and that one time when Luffy started a serious fight with Zoro in Whiskey Peak because he thought Zoro cut down the people who showed them hospitality.

I still think that referring to Big Mom's "mode" is just a sly Shonen trope joke. I don't think it's anything we need to worry about. I think it's just a tendency for her to "mother" kids that Prometheus is referring to, and if we consider that she wants to repay a kindness, I don't think it's so out of character. As others have mentioned, Big Mom's personality is very extreme and given mood swings and flights of fancy.

I also don't think this destroys Usopp's chances for PageOne. Nami and Usopp could be fighting Ulti when PageOne suddenly staggers to his feet. Him being wounded could make him more of an even match for Usopp who, while much improved, is still weak at the end of the day.

More than anything, what's low-key odd and non-sensical for Big Mom this chapter is that she didn't fly back up to the roof. For Oda's purposes of giving Luffy his one on one, it makes sense, but from Big Mom's perspective, it's a weird decision. I'm definitely in the camp that hopes she steals Kaido's shit and tries to/successfully escapes.

As for Luffy vs Kaido, two things:

1) re: Luffy is in base/not in Gear Fourth - I think that Conqueror's, which he's still getting used to, is so much of a bigger deal than Gear Fourth and Armament for landing decent blows on Kaido's hide that we should still consider Luffy as going very nearly as hard as he can. I really don't think he's holding back that much in the grand scheme of his powers. And I think Luffy knows that even if he's fighting well now, that he needs to save Gear Fourth for finishing Kaido off, because it's still going to be a long, long fight.
    2) It's in Kaido's interest to have a good fight. Like Freeza fightnig Kaioken Goku, I think it's pretty believable for Kaido to be enjoying someone who even approaches his level He could still easily have something up his sleeve if it actually seems like Luffy could beat him. Of course we know that Luffy really WILL beat him, but Kaido doesn't know that.

Are these the greatest One Piece developments of all time? No. Do I just really want to enjoy what's happening to the point of bias? Yeah, it's true. I love One Piece. It's really special to me. And I think the chapter was pretty decent and I'm still really excited for what Oda has in store for us. <3
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

Stowaway..... for now. Tainted Gene's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Kaido: Looks like you're enjoying this fight...
    The more desperate situation you're thrown into, the more you laugh.
    And the more you laugh, you......

Luffy: ?

Maybe Kaido wanted to say, "The more you laugh, the stronger people with D middle name will get...!!
    Yo that's sounds very very reminiscent to what Jaguar D. Saul use to say... aka the power of laughter. Maybe it wasn't just a simple motto Saul was espousing.
    My Art Works Tainte D. Gene
    "If the bogeyman attacked you during an emotional fit you wouldn't grab the closest weapon and do epic battle with it."

Quote Originally Posted by MrPecans View Post
    More than anything, what's low-key odd and non-sensical for Big Mom this chapter is that she didn't fly back up to the roof. For Oda's purposes of giving Luffy his one on one, it makes sense, but from Big Mom's perspective, it's a weird decision. I'm definitely in the camp that hopes she steals Kaido's shit and tries to/successfully escapes.
    She's angry at Kid and wants to kill him.

I still think that Zeus is better than hera. She’s a one trick pony while Zeus not only can do her power, he can make storms and some control of the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    She has more reasons to hate Luffy, just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Well, Luffy didn't just try to drown her a few minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    I still think that Zeus is better than hera. She’s a one trick pony while Zeus not only can do her power, he can make storms and some control of the weather.
    Far as WE know. She could have more going on or she might be stronger.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Good point.

Good point.

Good point.
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

both the spanish and the portuguese translation kept the "below 10 years" line; no difference from Kaido's line, though.

I won't repeat everything I said in the spoiler thread but just share my current thoughts about this arc.

Overall, if I judge it on its own I love this arc and I find no issue with the storytelling or with the pacing personally having re-read it multiple times. It's by far the best post-TS arc IMO.

My main issue is that we know that there won't be many more opportunities for the crew to have fights before the manga is over and Oda continue to only give the focus on Luffy. The other characters getting a couple cool spreads there and there is not enough for me when Luffy gets 10 times the treatment at least.

I know fights are not everything in this manga but it's becoming extremely annoying for me, especially when you look back at the arcs pre-TS (actually pre-Sabaody).

And it's not a matter of pacing for me, but writing choices.

If the manga was only halfway done, maybe I wouldn't mind as much that we will not get Zoro & Sanji defeating King & Queen on their own (I know it's not confirmed but it's certainly not looking to go in that direction). But where we are now, it's kinda ruining my enjoyment of this great arc.

I can see Ulti going on an enraged tantrum against Big Mom, only to get blasted out by the full-appearence reveal of Hera. Followed by Zeus catching up and... Hopefully Linlin sends him to protect Tama, as a "last chance." Big Mom is chaotic enough, that I can really see her dealing with him in just about every way imaginable, but that's what I'd like the most.

I imagine fighting between BM and Kidd is gonna turn into a roaming demolition crew on this base. Linlin alone is way too destructive in her attacks to not see the base taking massive structural damage soon. Maybe they'll even interrupt some of the other fights with the destruction they'll create.

Pretty good chapter in the end, can't really see much to complain about. I love Hawkins, so still holding out on him seeing the numbers changing soon.

Kid isn't the sole reason why Big Mom is even on Wano now.

Good thing the woman has attention span of a 4 year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Bigmom is the most powerful individual in Wano at the moment, not even Kaidou could stop her in his state. And she just does whatever she wants attacking both sides, lmao.

Kid isn't the sole reason why Big Mom is even on Wano now.

Good thing the woman has attention span of a 4 year old.
    To be frank, Luffy's not the sole reason either. Even before she left Whole Cake Island she was already aiming at allying with Kaido. The gal has utterior motives to be in this.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    To be frank, Luffy's not the sole reason either. Even before she left Whole Cake Island she was already aiming at allying with Kaido.
    No she wasn't, Luffy is the sole reason why she's there right now.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Cool chapter. Big Mom's "Mother Mode" could have been introduced a bit earlier for the whole scene to have played smoothly, but other than this I really like what I'm seeing.

Speaking of details that catch attention, is that a count from 1 to 11 on Brook's trousers in the color spread ? With his hat emphasizing how he's number 9 ? I swear, Oda can be such a tease...

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    So what? She came closer to dying in the last chapter than any other time during Whole Cake.

How many color spreads has Oda done in the last 3-4 months?

A-m-a-z-i-n-g chapter. Big Mom is as funny as ever, such a wildcard of a Yonkou. Poor Pay Pay.
    Oda is really at the top of his game with Luffy vs Kaido. I loved that little moment they shared, how hyped they are to fight each other. Also the fight itself looks really cinematic, beatiful art. They are both such
    terrifying beasts.
    (plus for some reason all the powerscalers are losing their shit so thats always a bonus.)

Monkey Vs Dragon, here we goooooooo

5/5 stuff all around.
    LIE
    CHEAT STEAL
    KILL WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Pay attention to the subtext when Big Mom warned Kaido she was going to Wano.

Then what she does once she reckognizes Queen.
    Then what she says to Perospero when he questions the alliance.

This entire setup is her idea. She's not in Wano just for Luffy's head.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information