+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Chapter 1,011: The Code of Sweet Beans

Default Re: Chapter 1,011: The Code of Sweet Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    That much for the "no" part in reply to your question. The "yes" part is that the transformation come with a caveat. But back then Gear 3rd also had a drawback which was making Luffy tiny for a little while. And now that part has been removed post-timeskip. It really doesn't bother me that much. But that's exactly the point. Why can't Luffy just pump air through is body (as he did countless times before Gear 3rd when he used Gum Gum Baloon) and create a giant fist? That would be ok. But it has to be a transformation with a caveat. Kinda irks me the wrong way.
    Funny enough I thin Oda did do that post timeskip where Luffy can use both gear second and third like real techniques. But then gear 4th came along.

Although it can be argue gear second was always just a transformation since it just boost Luffy base stats rather then be a specific attack. I personally dont mind because I thinkLuffy boosting his reactivity/speed with blood pumping is a creative use of the fruit that a typical user wouldnt think up (like Robin making her fruit a flyer) but I get not liking it since I dont like gear 4th. I liked the post skip Luffy where protecting his head with haki, making his leg faster or making his arm bigger all felt part of his regular arsenal rather then a specific mode to me.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Wait for what? Just look at the mans trajectory, he rises above his equals and in doing so he has made the marines more powerful than ever. He's the Shin led Oujo white knights to Sengokus golden generation. Dude is not only going places he is already halfway there.
    Are they more powerful then ever? It seems to be same classic vice admirals used for play things by powerful pirates and failing to protect countries that has to be protect by a band of merry pirates. Execept now he gets undermined on public tv unlike Sengoku. Not a lot of improvement I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    Usually Luffy gets defeated a few times before beating the Big Bad Guy of the arc. Maybe Oda pulls a switcheroo and actually has Kaidou defeated, then his flashback explaining how he never gives up and surpasses every odd. Then, after the flashback end, Kaidou gets up and is ready for round 3
    Yeah, Luffy usually loses a bit. This arc is just doing a special job at making it feel like it could really be on it's way to ending all the time.

Really like the idea with Kaido losing though. I'm sure it would infuriate plenty of fans for the entire wait through the flashback to see him get back up again. Sounds fun.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Are they more powerful then ever? It seems to be same classic vice admirals used for play things by powerful pirates and failing to protect countries that has to be protect by a band of merry pirates. Execept now he gets undermined on public tv unlike Sengoku. Not a lot of improvement I say.

Well there is this from the goombahs own lips.

Hidden:

And beyond that just look where they are now in the story. Under red dawg they are pushing in to the new world, hunting down the warlords and just generally pushing back against the status quo. Storywise the red K9 marines are on the rise and the old emperors are in decline, about to either be defeated by the government or beaten by new emperor contenders

Literally the whole point Law made in Dressrosa was how the Emperors wasted over 20 years resting on their laurels while the world around them evolved and outpaced them.

Discovered Stowaway hideoushorrendous's Avatar

Over 20 years the new world was and still dominated by the four emperors

That was their epic introduction by Garp

Now the story moved to the new world the marine had to xD

How old was Page One a year after he was born?

Age one!
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Well there is this from the goombahs own lips.

And beyond that just look where they are now in the story. Under red dawg they are pushing in to the new world, hunting down the warlords and just generally pushing back against the status quo. Storywise the red K9 marines are on the rise and the old emperors are in decline, about to either be defeated by the government or beaten by new emperor contenders
    Dont be tricked by their PR department like precious Jimbei was. They like to pretend to be tough on crime now but its shiney new paint same thing. The emperors were just chilling as usual and amassing power until real mover and shaker Luffy came to do what needs done like usual. Luffy's about to take down a yonko, working on his second Big Mom humiliation and got the biggest weapon runner of the area. But Red puppy is still not be providing a lot of results and making lots of promises. Dont be fooled by the empty promises of leaders ask for their results.

Funny enough I thin Oda did do that post timeskip where Luffy can use both gear second and third like real techniques. But then gear 4th came along.
    That's actually one thing I wonder. It's true that we don't see the Gear 3rd drawback of shrinking anymore but did the Gear 2nd drawback disappear? Because it was never something visible but rather a health related drawback when it was stated that it's eating away Luffy's life. Did that stop post timeskip? Don't know.

That's actually one thing I wonder. It's true that we don't see the Gear 3rd drawback of shrinking anymore but did the Gear 2nd drawback disappear? Because it was never something visible but rather a health related drawback when it was stated that it's eating away Luffy's life. Did that stop post timeskip? Don't know.
    If I remember the problem was that his body wasnt handling the pumping well. It seems that it does now so I assume its negligeable now. Like if he fought for 3 days it would probably get to him. But at the same time if he fought for 3 days he would get tired either way.

But speaking random life force stuff. Im not a fan of Law having the arbitrary stamina thing.

If I remember the problem was that his body wasnt handling the pumping well. It seems that it does now so I assume its negligeable now. Like if he fought for 3 days it would probably get to him. But at the same time if he fought for 3 days he would get tired either way.
    That's a valid assumption. I honestly hope it is gone for good. Don't like it if of this many characters in the series almost only the protagonist has to deal with this. And then again only, when it creates something of a dramatic effect in the actual moment. This point specifically I don't even limit to Gear 2nd eating away Luffys life. Remember how Ivankov made it a huge deal that the Tension Hormones would take a huge toll on Luffys body? Whatever became of that. Luffy running out of strenght after freeing Ace cannot be it, because we've seen similar things before after defeating Lucchi (Robin had to use Delphinium to actually move Luffy out of harms way) or after being utterly exhausted after defeating their first Pacifista at Sabaody. If the story is making a point about the recklessness to his body is being a thing, then there should be some visible repercussions. If Luffy dies after becoming pirate king because his body is too far gone, then all of this would have served a purpose. But we know it's not going this route.

But speaking random life force stuff. Im not a fan of Law having the arbitrary stamina thing.
    I'm kinda on the fence about that. For one this is one of the rare instances where someone else than the protagonist has something similar like a drawback. On the other hand Law is closely tied to the protagonists so it follows the same route of dramatic effect. One positive exapmle would actually be Karakuri who clearly showed signs of fatigue, which took a toll on him and gave Luffy a winning chance (even though I believe Luffy should never have won that fight). But then again for an opponent to actually have a drawback like this is super rare. It makes it seem like Ode nerfed Katakuri because he knew Luffy is way over his head. And unlike with Crocodile there was no time for Luffy to lose two rounds and win the third. If stamina consumption would be more of a thing for all characters then I don't it would bother me as much.

That's a valid assumption. I honestly hope it is gone for good. Don't like it if of this many characters in the series almost only the protagonist has to deal with this.
    I mean gear 4 now exist as the arbitrarily limited transformation now. So you are screwed either way.

If Luffy dies after becoming pirate king because his body is too far gone, then all of this would have served a purpose. But we know it's not going this route.
    We can always learn he died at 30(or 39) or something. Got an extra decade to have fun adventure with his screw then died young.

I'm kinda on the fence about that. For one this is one of the rare instances where someone else than the protagonist has something similar like a drawback. On the other hand Law is closely tied to the protagonists so it follows the same route of dramatic effect. One positive exapmle would actually be Karakuri who clearly showed signs of fatigue, which took a toll on him and gave Luffy a winning chance (even though I believe Luffy should never have won that fight). But then again for an opponent to actually have a drawback like this is super rare. It makes it seem like Ode nerfed Katakuri because he knew Luffy is way over his head. And unlike with Crocodile there was no time for Luffy to lose two rounds and win the third. If stamina consumption would be more of a thing for all characters then I don't it would bother me as much.
    The problem for me is stamina for devil fruit is not a thing. Mr3 doesnt have a wax limit or mr2 doesnt tire out from transforming to much, Moriah doesnt need rest after cutting to many shadows. Law fruit is already so vaguelly define in terms of everything it allows you to do and to have on top the drawback feels so arbitrary and so undefine as stamina it really ticks me of.

I mean gear 4 now exist as the arbitrarily limited transformation now. So you are screwed either way.
    Right you are.

We can always learn he died at 30(or 39) or something. Got an extra decade to have fun adventure with his screw then died young.
    I can see that one happening. Because no doubt there's going to be One Piece one shots after the manga has ended and for that a young Luffy has to be alive even after all has ended.

The problem for me is stamina for devil fruit is not a thing. Mr3 doesnt have a wax limit or mr2 doesnt tire out from transforming to much, Moriah doesnt need rest after cutting to many shadows. Law fruit is already so vaguelly define in terms of everything it allows you to do and to have on top the drawback feels so arbitrary and so undefine as stamina it really ticks me of.
    I totally get what you mean and I agree. I might have worded it poorly when talking about him being tied closely to the protagonists. No other character has a stamina consumtion for their DF ability. But law, who's teamed with the Strawhats since Punk Hazard now has such a thing. Either make such a thing a common thing to everyone or leave it out of the manga completely.

I totally get what you mean and I agree. I might have worded it poorly when talking about him being tied closely to the protagonists. No other character has a stamina consumtion for their DF ability. But law, who's teamed with the Strawhats since Punk Hazard now has such a thing. Either make such a thing a common thing to everyone or leave it out of the manga completely.
    I also dislike it because it seems weirdly severe at times where for example he cant deal with a fighter fish because that would make him weak when fighting Doffly later. I can understand the stamina thing to make it so you get tired in fights( i dont because your opponents blows should do that but lets pretend I do) but it gets ridiculous if now you can only have a set number of fights a day and you cant deal with small fries. Im not even sure its consistent since sometimes it feels he can use it all day on minor things and other times he's super careful about not using it until he meets with his opponent.

Law only talks about stamina when he needs to use his power on other living beings with a mind of their own, iirc.
    The same way it's easier to push a table across a room but it's harder if there's someone on the other side of the table pushing it back.

And stamina affects devil fruits because it affects their users. Luffy doesn't get less strechy if he's tired but if he's tired he can't throw his arm as far back.
    Whitebeard wasn't less quaky but there's a big difference betwen him running straight for Roger just for fun in Oden's flashback and him staying back in Marineford when he's trying to save his son because he's sick. He was saving up his energy to make every move of his count.

It's the same for non-fruit users too. There's a reason Zoro isn't always spaming his ultimate moves, it takes a lot of energy so he saves them up for the best moment, when he's sure it's gonna hit. His swords don't get less sharp but his movement does.
    And we can see how strong the characters get by how much they can spam moves that were once ultimate techniques. (Shi)Shishi SonSon was always a move that Zoro used to end a fight, against Mr 1 it worked but against Kuma it didn't, so he stopped trying to beat Kuma after that because he was spent, he could have tried Asura if the problem was just hitting Kuma harder. Now he can pull off that move and decapitate a dragon before lunch or doing it mid-raid and keep going. Same for Sanji's Diable Jambe, pre-timeskip it was almost like a transformation and now it's just a switch he can turn on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Law only talks about stamina when he needs to use his power on other living beings with a mind of their own, iirc.
    Just a correction, I think what draws Law's stamina is maintaining the room. The longer and bigger it is, the harder it gets to maintain. I believe it's like flexing a muscle: creating small or maintaining them for a few seconds (enough to swap things around) is easy, but keeping a giant one undefinitely (like he did to fool Doflamingo into thinking there was no room at all) is a feat akin to holding a lot of weight on one's shoulders.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information