+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,009: Naraku

Default Re: Chapter 1,009: Naraku

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    That already happened though. It was rescuing Momonosuke. He disappeared for 7-8 chapters.

This just seems like typical Oda juggling screentime. The individual moments are just all spread out when you have 10 protagonists plus allies. Sanji has only been missing for 2-3 chapters.

I mean, Jinbe's last big moment was in 998...
    That's like saying that Sanji's big moment in the Alabasta saga was him defeating the Unluckies in Little Garden...

Sanji's big moment hasn't come yet. We will all know when it comes.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    That's like saying that Sanji's big moment in the Alabasta saga was him defeating the Unluckies in Little Garden...

You mean like Sanji hearing a woman in danger screaming as she falls from the island into the ocean below, so he skywalks off to save her and he brings Big Mom right back to the fight because he can't watch a woman fall to her death while screaming and do nothing? Then Zoro says "WTF STUPID COOK?"

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

- Huh now when I think of the name, I'm picturing the villain from Inuyasha showing up and hijacking being the main villain LOL
    - Cute cover, putting Tama in there was a surprise. Will she be the next Straw Hat? No..the answer is no.
    - As I said in the spoiler, was shocked the Scabbards ran into Orochi so fast. No build up or nothing, I mean dang, I know I was complaining about all the setups but didn't think a confrontation would be that soon. But hey, ended about as well I expected. So I guess Orochi's down to two lives now unless Oda says this is a hydra thing? Also I like the translation here with Raizo complimenting Fukurokuju for his loyalty even to the wrong man. Nice to see the respect for each other even if they're opponents.
    - The rest of the chapter is just a very nicely done fight scene. Hmm so fire is Kaido weakness I'm guessing it since he's part fish. Dude pretty much went ham on Luffy once he was mocked on it, so that's a major telltale. VIP to Zoro for that block, even if it's one second, not bad at all, though Kidd get second place for taking that punch just to lure in Big Mom. And love the teamwok on display to get Big Mom out of the battlefield (especially love seeing that smug sun finally take some hits there, I know Brook pulled it off a little during Whole Cake but this is the first I've seen someone actually dissect him).

So speculating, I'm gonna say Big Mom's kids will save her. We haven't seen them since they made landfall, so likely they've been following on the ship once the island rose up and will either save her from drowning or catch her on their boat. Plus I seriously doubt this is how she'll be defeated. granted if they have the means to get her back up or not will be something there eh this saga pulling one unpredictable power after another, so yeah.

Either way fun chap.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

I swear if it's another last minute save...

Greg had a TON to say about this chapter on Twitter.

Mom and Kaido's combined attack is fu**ing galaxy mind. And no, not just a callback to giant attacks. Here's why.

覇海 Hakai
    The first thing that will come to mind for anyone reading in Japanese is 破壊 hakai, 'destruction'.

This should remind readers of ond of the themes of Kaido's crew, natural disasters. And if you follow my work, you know that Kaido is a *literal embodiment* of the tongue-in-cheek Japanese saying 'jishin, kaminari, kaji, oyaji' or 'earthquakes, lightning, fires, and fathers'

Meaning 'the scariest (most destructive) things on earth'. Kaido is or has all of them. Kaido is a living, breathing, all-mighty embodimemt of natural disasters. And what do they cause? 'Destruction'.

But we're not nearly there. What about Mom? Mom previously used an attack that (curiously) called to mind the attack that Dorry and Brogy (they're references to the Funk bros. wrestlers btw) used on the Island Eater. So from WCI we knew her attacks were based on giant techniques.

How it called this to mind was in the use of 'Ha' or 覇. Guess what? This 覇 is the same 'ha' in 覇気 which you normally read as 'haki' in One Piece. Yes, that haki. While it means ambition, it also suggests that the attack proper is imbued with haki, a commonality for giants.

WE ARE NOT DONE!!!
    So what about 海 or 'kai'? The kanji means sea. Pirates, sea, makes sense. So 'ha-kai' literally 'Sea of Haki' but read together as 'hakai' calling to mind of *any* Japanese reader as 'destruction' makes it 'Destructive Sea of Ambition'.

AND THERE'S MORE!
    海 kai... isn't that part of Kaido's name? Yep!! Kaido is always written in katakana so we can't know for certain (also 'Kaido' or 海道 was the name of the famous song in Z) but yes, kanji or otherwise, 'kai' should remind of us Kaido. But what about Mom?

And here's the icing on the cake. 'Ha' is also arguably a reference to 母 'haha' meaning....MOTHER.

So....
    'Big Mom and Kaido's Destructive Sea of Ambition'.
    どどーん!!!!!

Clearly you can understand why this particular case wouldn't fit in a footnote (^○^)
    It's Ragnaraku bc the name of the chapter is 'Naraku', one Buddhist terms for Hell. Besides just Momotarou, Oda is leaning heavily into setting the stage as Hell.

So why not 'jigoku'? Because he already did that. Impel Down was 'jigoku'. The joke there? 監獄 地獄 'kan'goku is prison 'ji'goku is hell. Since Oda hates retreading ground (thematically at least) he's putting his foot down and calling this 'Naraku'.

'But it should be Ragnarok.'
    Since Oda literally named the chap Naraku, he's had multiple characters label the battlefield as Hell, and ***oni live in Hell***, it's abundantly clear that Oda was not simply going for 'Ragnarok' but a portmanteau.
    But why even bother with the reference to actual Ragnarok then? Bc they're pirates. Vikings were known as pirates. That's the connection. It's a combination of viking/pirate apocalypse with Buddhist hell. That's why. Tell your friends.
    The statues on this week's color-spread? They're jizo statues commonly called 'ojizo-san'. A few weeks ago on
    @OnePiecePodcast
    I coincidentally went on a non-sequitur about how one of the Mimawarigumi (big round dude) is designed after one of them.

continued to blabber on about how besides being a staple of Japanese scenery (they're commonly placed on the road as guardians of travelers. ((ones with bibs are dedicated to protecting souls of departed children)) ) and how there's a famous Japanese myth about...

an elderly man showing kindness to jizo statues in the snow. short version: he gives five hats he was carrying to the jizo bc they look cold and gives his own to a sixth. The jizo later reward him.

Oda's going for his own interpretation of that tale here. BUT, there's more! There's a cool connection to Buddhist hell (Naraku ie. the chapter title) here as well!!! Jizo are the earthly incarnation of Enma-daiou. Yes, the same Enma as Zoro's sword.

Enma is one of 11 judges in Hell and probably the best-known in Japan bc he's the judge most humans fail to pass. If he finds out you're lying, he pulls out your tongue. So uh.... happy Easter? ^o^;
    Last edited by Robby; April 4th, 2021 at 11:18 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I wonder if that attack is one Big Mom used to do with Whitebeard as I imagine Kaido was the runt of the trio.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Knowing how Oda handles Sanji these days, I daresay his biggest moment in this arc will be defeating Jack. Aka the one that was already defeated once. Still pathetic IMHO
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

The idea of him fighting Jack already lessened when Oda suddenly had Sanji wonder if he should head to Momo instead a mere chapter after we thought Sanji would head straight to the Scabbards. Now the Scabbards are shown to be fine and not in need of protection, with only Inu still being there, on top of feeling confident enough to face Jack at that.
    I mean anything could happen, but I wouldn't say it's really likely to happen at this point.

If Kaido saves Big Mom, are we going to see Big Mom riding on Kaido in dragon form? I can now imagine the faces of our 5 Supernova.

Chapter was great but translations got much worse than they were volume ago. Its weaker/ less climactic than some fan translations.

Kidd speaking about Zoros feat and using "thanks man" felt off. Same as Big Moms "I forgot" and few more.

Feels like translator person lately is not in good form imo

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    The idea of him fighting Jack already lessened when Oda suddenly had Sanji wonder if he should head to Momo instead a mere chapter after we thought Sanji would head straight to the Scabbards. Now the Scabbards are shown to be fine and not in need of protection, with only Inu still being there, on top of feeling confident enough to face Jack at that.
    I mean anything could happen, but I wouldn't say it's really likely to happen at this point.
    Oda might be playing with us here again. I would not feel bad if Sanji gets to finish off wounded Jack who is winning with Inu.

Entrance with Grill Shot to Jacks chest second before he kills Inu would be perfect. Then he can move to main hall to back up Marco. Zoro will need to take a back seat for some time because of how wounded he is so it will be time for Sanji showing off a bit now.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    I swear if it's another last minute save...
    Thats what heroes do;) Sanji lately is portrayed as hero(cape, transformation and silly nickname) so last minute saves fit well with his hero theme he seems to lately have.

I expect last minute saving of Inu and KOing Jack with Hell Memories or Grill Shot. Then backing up Marco and Sanji declaring his name when confronting Queen. Like him stating he is not Germa but son of Sora, hero of the seas. Declaring that would not put Zeff in danger and would honor sacrifice his mother made to keep Sanjis human heart against Judges will.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    Chapter was great but translations got much worse than they were volume ago. Its weaker/ less climactic than some fan translations.

Kidd speaking about Zoros feat and using "thanks man" felt off. Same as Big Moms "I forgot" and few more.

Feels like translator person lately is not in good form imo
    Kidd's thanking Zoro was definitely the ultimate climax of this chapter and how dare Stephen make Kidd say "Thanks, Man!!" I had my heart set on "Thanks, Bro!!" or "Thank you so so very much, I'm forever in your debt and will follow you for the rest of my life until I can repay this blood debt that I owe you!!"

I can't go on living like this anymore anymore, Stephen. "Thanks man!!" *commits seppuku* -end scene. wait for applause. stand and graciously accept roses.

Oh wait, I forgot you aren't supposed to leave any silly Japanese that English speakers can't understand. Naraku and Ragnaraku? More like Ragnara-puke. I mean English speakers definitely can't understand words from foreign languages, I mean what does Ragnarök even mean? You can't expect me to understand an Old Norse word and a Japanese word. Then you put them together and make a New Old Norpanese word? I'll see you in Ragnaraku!! *commits seppuku, oh wait, seppuku is Japanese, commits suicide instead -end scene. curtains close as the theater fills with raucous applause.

*No animals or humans were injured during the production of this piece

I still don't quite get how it makes a pun by simply mashing those two words together. The norse end of days - buddhist hell equivilent pun goes over my head. Or am i overthinking that the two parts together should form a new meaning? Is it just a rule of cool loanword for Ragnarök and the pun is simply that it could sound a bit like this Naraku in Japanese pronounciation?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    Kidd's thanking Zoro was definitely the ultimate climax of this chapter and how dare Stephen make Kidd say "Thanks, Man!!" I had my heart set on "Thanks, Bro!!" or "Thank you so so very much, I'm forever in your debt and will follow you for the rest of my life until I can repay this blood debt that I owe you!!"

I can't go on living like this anymore anymore, Stephen. "Thanks man!!" *commits seppuku* -end scene. wait for applause. stand and graciously accept roses.

Oh wait, I forgot you aren't supposed to leave any silly Japanese that English speakers can't understand. Naraku and Ragnaraku? More like Ragnara-puke. I mean English speakers definitely can't understand words from foreign languages, I mean what does Ragnarök even mean? You can't expect me to understand an Old Norse word and a Japanese word. Then you put them together and make a New Old Norpanese word? I'll see you in Ragnaraku!! *commits seppuku, oh wait, seppuku is Japanese, commits suicide instead -end scene. curtains close as the theater fills with raucous applause.

*No animals or humans were injured during the production of this piece
    Well I own like over 20 of latest One Piece volumes and translation is rather on par with some better translations here. But lately it feels off to me. But maybe its only me

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Really loved this chapter. It just goes to see that while the Yonko are strong and terrifyingly powerful, you just can't go ahead and try to assault them directly. Instead, doing strategy is the way to go. its no different from playing a MMORPG and use your character's skill set to their best potential.

Also, I loved the parts with Big Mom and Zeus, especially when Zeus was literally crying getting Poké-boxed! And then it gets finished with Big Mom getting a bitchslap from a rock in her face, like it was drawn in such a goofy Looney Tunes way. Goes on to say it wouldn't harm her, only to find out soon, she just gets thrown off of the island by force. Just hillarious.

Finally, Kaido's hybrid looks amazing from the different perspectives of how he moves about.

For mum kids to save her, they would need to have succeed climbing the waterfall.
    Maybe it will be simpler and they have finally reached land so she won't fall on water

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I still don't quite get how it makes a pun by simply mashing those two words together. The norse end of days - buddhist hell equivilent pun goes over my head. Or am i overthinking that the two parts together should form a new meaning? Is it just a rule of cool loanword for Ragnarök and the pun is simply that it could sound a bit like this Naraku in Japanese pronounciation?
    It isn't a pun in the sense that is supposed to be funny. It is just supposed to be a clever combining of two words to make a new one. Also it seemed like anything revolving around wordplay was essentially referred to as a dad joke, kind of similar to English. Although I could be wrong and it might be meant to convey some humor, I can never tell with Japanese sense of humor.

Luffy smiling after Kaido dodged Red Hawk and saying you dodged because it was gonna hurt, is one of the most ridiculous, childish writing even real life trash talk I have ever seen. It look like a toddler naively telling a grown man that his punch was gonna hurt. I just don’t get. Is this some kind of set up telling the reader that Luffy’s hit can hurt?. If it is, do it by hitting Kaido not by ridiculous toddler behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    Luffy smiling after Kaido dodged Red Hawk and saying you dodged because it was gonna hurt, is one of the most ridiculous, childish writing even real life trash talk I have ever seen. It look like a toddler naively telling a grown man that his punch was gonna hurt. I just don’t get. Is this some kind of set up telling the reader that Luffy’s hit can hurt?. If it is, do it by hitting Kaido not by ridiculous toddler behavior.
    What? It's not that hard to grasp. The reader already knew since Ch. 1000 that Luffy's punches can now hurt Kaido.

The difference is that since then, Kaido is starting to subtly acknowledge it, as he's gone from his usual routine of tanking every attack thrown at him to purposely dodging Luffy's attacks. Luffy has simply taken notice of this, and is now mocking Kaido for dodging when normally he'd just take the hits. I mean it wasn't supposed to be some massive burn, just Luffy calling out Kaido.

Finally read the chapter. Legitimately got sad for Big Mom and her homies, yelling "mama mama, help us" and stuff. What the hell is wrong with me?

Also some of yall's expectations of Sanji and Big Mom are so specific that Oda will never please you. If you weren't so hard to satisfy you'd see that Sanji is stil great and that Big Mom is the GOAT Yonko. It's also obvious to me that Oda really loves both characters.
    Last edited by MrPecans; April 5th, 2021 at 12:48 PM.
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    It's an indication that Kaido started changing tactics because his endurance was starting to falter.

Before he was just tanking everything. That was sending up a message of invincibility. Now that he's dodging, the message now is "he's not that invincible".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information