+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,008: Leader of the Atamayama Thieves Brigade, Ashura Doji

Default Chapter 1,008: Leader of the Atamayama Thieves Brigade, Ashura Doji

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008920
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...30?action=read

Author Comments 3/28/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ngs-03-28-2021

Eiichiro Oda

I’m a newbie who just made his debut! I’ve gone past the point where I can say, “I don’t actually have hay fever if I don’t admit it!” Darn it!
    Last edited by Shift; March 28th, 2021 at 09:08 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: Chapter 1,008: Leader of the Atamayama Thieves Brigade, Ashura Doji

No surprises for me this chapter, but I still enjoyed it. Kanjuro was the only option that made full sense and I've never for a second thought Orochi was dead. It's nice to finally see hybrid Kaido and fun that no one actually predicted his face correctly. He seems more demon than dragon!
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

But where is Hiyori?

This would be a great arc for Oda to actually let death sticks and The Akazaya 9 dying (maybe not all of them) would make all of this feel more meaningful.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Thank god Kanjuro is still alive. I was absolutely mystified when it seemed like he might have died offscreen last summer and would've been a pretty big black mark on the arc if that had stayed. Now we can hopefully get a true decisive clash with him.

Orochi on the other hand, I was fine with him being dead. Not saying this development is terrible, but I am quite intrigued about what's left for him to accomplish. Perhaps it's just so the Scabbards can get their licks in on him. If the multiple heads regeneration theory is true, and Orochi has 7 lives left, there are 7 Scabbards left now (and if Inuarashi goes down with Jack, maybe Zoro can fulfill his declaration of killing the guy)

Very minor, but I wish Ashura had shouted "Sunacchi" when he tackled the Oden suicide bomb. Would have been a nice callback to his comrades who met their end on Onigashima 10 years ago. Is he dead? Yeah sure, just as dead as the guy who got decapitated.
    Last edited by Kaido King of the Beasts; March 28th, 2021 at 09:49 AM.

Spoiler:

Very, very glad that Orochi and Kanjuro are back. Orochi I never doubted - aside from being integral to the plot of Wano, you just don't introduce someone who can transform into Yamata no Orochi and off him like that - but Kanjuro is a happy surprise. They're among the only Wano characters I find interesting. If Oda had seriously left the Kurozumi plot thread at "there's these innocent people who were persecuted because of their bloodline, causing them to hate the people of Wano, then they all got exterminated by the good guys; the end" it would've been one of the biggest disappointments of the series.

I liked the chapter more than I thought. I have some complaints about how the Red Scabbard's story feels like it runs in it's own separate story to the rest of the series, and personally I would've liked to save Orochi's reveal for something grander like causing a major blow to Kaido when he was about to win, but regardless it was fun seeing the Scabbards get some spotlight. I'm hoping this chapter will help those who travelled through time to start letting go of Oden, coming to terms with his death. Also very happy to return to the fight with Kaido and Big Mom.

I;'m glad those two are still alive. It gives Kinemon a chance to kill Kanjuro, and the rest of em to kill Orochi

What you have to remember with Orochi & Kanjuro is that their storyline ties into one of the recurring themes of One Piece. Just as with Cricket, Robin, Franky and Ace Oda yet again plays upon the notions of not judging others by the action of their ancestors and that being born never is a crime. The Kurozumi got hunted down by the Wano citizens just because of the sins of their relative, while they in turn hated the Kozuki clan just for the fact that Sukiyaki was born into the world.

Though I don't know where the storyline will go exactly, at this point I find that the most elegant way to end it is by revealing Tama to be a Kurozumi as well, meaning we'd end up with a trio of kids from the Kozuki (Momo), Kurozumi (Tama) and Shimotsuki (Toko) family that all get along together.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    If Oda had seriously left the Kurozumi plot thread at "there's these innocent people who were persecuted because of their bloodline, causing them to hate the people of Wano, then they all got exterminated by the good guys; the end" it would've been one of the biggest disappointments of the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    I;'m glad those two are still alive. It gives Kinemon a chance to kill Kanjuro, and the rest of em to kill Orochi
    I just found the juxtaposition of this to be funny.

Everybody is talking about Kanjuro and Orochi, but Fukurokujo's role here is very interesting. He'd had no reason to stick with Orochi if he was just a turncoat, so he probably was loyal to Orochi all along, another Kurozumi mole just like Kanjuro.

It is a bit weird. He gave the impression that he served the strongest side. But here he is holding up a losing side with no clear gain for him. Who'd have thunk it

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Inu is being separated from everyone else. The Dog from the Momotaro myth being placed in his position on the chessboard?

I wonder where Sanji will be heading given Kinemon and co. are also now heading towards Momonosuke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Ah, I think I'm finally at the point where nobody 'ever' dying makes me enjoy the story less. Ashura's sacrifice was pretty cool, but I can't get invested because all odds say he'll survive. Especially when this happens in the chapter that reintroduces Oroshi.

I greatly enjoyed Luffy grinning in the face of two Yonkou.

How original is it to still have this in my signature 5 years later?

I'll say it, Kaido's hybrid form was a letdown. Just scales, a tail, and horns really. At least it should look better colored with the blue scales. I expected to see more of the dragon in his face, more muzzle like. Will have to watch out for his dragon breath though.

Sanji is going to yamato and then together to the roof. Only way to keep zoro vs sanji rivalry alive is if both fight together the two yonkous.

It could only be Kanjuro, there was no other option that didn't require a lot of explanation or a contrived plot.

First Scabbard that seem definitively out if Ashura. Eight more to do.

Momo's part was interesting. Is that Observation Haki, the Voice of All Things or some sort of connection between him and Kaido due to the cloned fruit?

Orochi's return was underwhelming. It felt strange. While his return was certain (even thought I really wanted him to be dead), I was expecting a grander reveal at least. It's weird that his body could be retrieved without CP0 noticing, and I don't think it's another Kanjuro drawing (as I thought on initial spoilers), because Kanjuro said that remote control was taxing.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I can't shake the feeling that things could've been better had the scabbards been allowed to be done after giving their all and injuring Kaido. I felt that it gave a feel that things were progressing, that there was something at stake, while this thing where they fall down a hole, get healed and get sent out to fight another revived guy just does the opposite and makes it feel more like eh who cares it not as if anything that happens really sticks. The teased plot point of Sanji protecting their fallen bodies felt like it had more meat to.

I rarely say this, but this chapter is quite underwhelming. Set up some important stuff though, that's for sure.

I believe Ashura will die in this battle. Not necessarily from the explosion he just took (though it surely leads up to it), but later on near the end of the climax.

I did think a few chapters ago that if Sanji and Jack were to fight, both of them being injured wouldn't make much of a difference. If Sanji is unscathed while Jack is heavily injured, now that's a different story, I would actually believe that Sanji would win. But now that Jack is about to have yet another fight, I expect Inuarashi to injure him EVEN MORE before going down, enough for Sanji (if he is gonna fight Jack) to take over and finish him off.

My wife and I just started watching Dressrosa in the dub, where Kinemon spends a lot of time screaming for Kanjuro, so to see him screaming now but in a totally different context is really something.

Chapter was altogether a letdown. Some interesting stuff here and there (rooftop scene, Momo feeling a connection of sorts to Luffy), but other than this ?

Orochi's come back was a no-brainer, the only question is how his body was smuggled away from the main scene. And also, what is he even going to achieve? I would have prefered him to stay dead.
    Speaking of people who overstayed their welcome, I was really hoping the Scabbards (including Kanjuro) were done. My only reaction to the "Oden" scene was, why are these guys still there? The only part that I find mildly interesting is the identity of their savior. Someone did heal them and it can't have been Kanjuro's clone, but that person apparently slipped away unnoticed. Maybe that one is Hyori indeed.
    Kaido's hybrid form is ...Meh. Bland ? Not getting the panel space it should for a proper introduction ? I actually prefer his human form which is not all that different, what we're seeing here really does not justify the silhouette cliffhanger a few chapters ago.

Oh well, I guess it's a necessary step back to set up the more interesting scenes to come. One thing the chapter does achieve is to remind that the Beast Pirates are far from done.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information